Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,238 members, 7,936,805 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 12:15 AM

Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? (19524 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by NOwazobia: 9:01pm On Sep 18, 2022
Kelvinskillz:

You are just a very rubbish person
and you still have to quote the whole teraja! undecided
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by jefe03(m): 9:01pm On Sep 18, 2022
Draslo:
The flogging of a thing is a culture forced on us by years of slavery. You will find it all over Africa but nowhere else.

Not like Oyinbo no dey spank kids o but we go dey flog pikin like theif till he/she is 17 sef.

Growing up, dem flog me die from house and school. It only made me more rugged because I'm not a cow.

Don't complain to anybody when your child destroy your room because you seize his/her phone later on the future

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by gassbee: 9:02pm On Sep 18, 2022
No need for flogging, just use your hands n do n some spanking
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by frozen70(f): 9:03pm On Sep 18, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

Before I begin let's define toddlerhood;

Toddler: 1-3 years. Preschooler: 3-5 years. School-aged: 5-12 years. Teenager: 13-18 years.

Is it necessary to start flogging toddlers?? I married a yoruba man And I noticed his sisters like flogging their kids including their toddlers. I'm not used to seeing little children being flogged not to talk of toddlers and I get this cringe feeling when I see it. Is it a cultural thing? Is that how the whole tribe Is like? Does flogging a child actually make him or her better Or is it not just child abuse
I do feel somehow seeing people flogging 2yr old, 3yr old kids. I feel somehow. What do you guys think

Flogging was part of
Those days

But with this present generation, counseling is the way out

I think you should just advise her but am sure, she is just pouring her anger on those little children

You may not know what she is going through that made the children to be the recipient
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by fredoooooo: 9:04pm On Sep 18, 2022
It is but nit all the time...
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by dave601: 9:04pm On Sep 18, 2022
Prism:

This is exactly what my sis in law told me.
Hmmm. This matter has really got me thinking

Flog your child when necessary, please (especially 2 and above). You don't want him/her to grow up and become a spoilt brat.

I think some young parents get soft with their children because of the media or what they observe from rich men's kids. Such will end up breeding a terribly rude, badly behaved ones.

The Bible says if you Beat him with a cane, he WILL NOT DIE (prob. 23:13).

Just don't cane with hot anger or lose your temper in the process.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by drewcee: 9:06pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ode ti de. Anamu.
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

I think it is not necessary
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Enimin: 9:06pm On Sep 18, 2022
DaddyFreeze2020:

New International Version
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

New Living Translation
Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

English Standard Version
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Berean Standard Bible
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

King James Bible
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

New King James Version
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

New American Standard Bible
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1995
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1977
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Amplified Bible
He who withholds the rod [of discipline] hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines and trains him diligently and appropriately [with wisdom and love].

Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

American Standard Version
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everyone that spares concerning his rod, hates his son, and he that loves his son disciplines him earnestly.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
He that spares the rod hates his son: but he that loves, carefully chastens him.

Contemporary English Version
If you love your children, you will correct them; if you don't love them, you won't correct them.

Douay-Rheims Bible
He that spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes.

Good News Translation
If you don't punish your children, you don't love them. If you do love them, you will correct them.

International Standard Version
Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.

JPS Tanakh 1917
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Literal Standard Version
Whoever is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoever is loving him has hurried his discipline.

New American Bible
Whoever spares the rod hates the child, but whoever loves will apply discipline.

NET Bible
The one who spares his rod hates his child, but the one who loves his child is diligent in disciplining him.

New Revised Standard Version
Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them.

New Heart English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

World English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Young's Literal Translation
Whoso is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoso is loving him hath hastened him chastisement.

Hello retārd

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by TimeArena1(f): 9:06pm On Sep 18, 2022
Metting out physical discipline on your child isn't as vicious as the Gen Z generation of adults are trying to make it come off.

Communicating with kids, work.
Spanking them with their size of cane also works.

Just find out which of these techniques works for you and make sure you raise them in the fear and admonition of the Lord.

God forbid we raise kids that would make us regret birthing them.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by harmony75: 9:08pm On Sep 18, 2022
Toddlers are to be spanked in the bumbum I no dey miss that one I'm breastfeeding you and you bite me oh mehn I will spank you your papa go tell me thank you! As they grow you introduce the Cain. It is very important to discipline your kids, not every situation you have to Cain a child they become very stubborn if you don't discipline them with love � so please sometimes punish them you have already passing the msg.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by ADecadeAddict: 9:09pm On Sep 18, 2022
An African child should get a whopping
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Seankhalifa: 9:09pm On Sep 18, 2022
Den no flog Me... but u see d knock and slap na reset button... especially when u dey close to babe where u dey eye dat yr grin
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by UnknownQueen(f): 9:09pm On Sep 18, 2022
Whatever rocks or sinks your boat.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by sweetman2022: 9:16pm On Sep 18, 2022
Better don't let the whites deceived you when it comes to punishment. Certain punishment works for us here do to our upbringing and environment. Anybody flogging a toddler should be arrested..haba they are too small. You just spank them. Moreover use what works for you as parents. Don't try to copy others just study your kids and apply necessary punishment that can bring them to order.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Draslo(m): 9:16pm On Sep 18, 2022
jefe03:

Don't complain to anybody when your child destroy your room because you seize his/her phone later on the future
Many of the best things we're using now such as the computer or phone you're using to read this, and almost every day to day items were invented by people who don't flog their kids and adults that were never flogged as kids. Let that just sink in. The world is moving forward. Spare the rod and spoil the child no dey work again. Those words were written thousands of years ago. Haba! Them flog me tire...na me spoil pass.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Spandau: 9:16pm On Sep 18, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

Toddler: 1-3 years. Preschooler: 3-5 years. School-aged: 5-12 years. Teenager: 13-18 years.

Is it necessary to start flogging toddlers?? I married a yoruba man And I noticed his sisters like flogging their kids including their toddlers. I'm not used to seeing little children being flogged not to talk of toddlers and I get this cringe feeling when I see it. Is it a cultural thing? Is that how the whole tribe Is like? Does flogging a child actually make him or her better Or is it not just child abuse
I do feel somehow seeing people flogging 2yr old, 3yr old kids. I feel somehow. What do you guys think

Please make a clarification. Is it spanking or flogging?
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by dave601: 9:18pm On Sep 18, 2022
flemsy15:
For me 'cane' hasn't yielded better results than 'words' used by the whites. All the areas we were flogged growing up , the whites tend to be doing much better. Areas like punctuality, hygiene, sincerity, not-stealing, Truthfulness, avoiding unnecessary noise making, avoiding unnecessary begging, orderliness, etc... the whites are performing better than us. Beating makes us see virtues as punishments

Bro, caning a child (2-15) when necessary is good. From my own personal life experience, and having dealt with different levels of students as an educationist.

It doesn't always work with older children, but it's perfect with anything 2 to roughly 9 or 15.

But once they get immune to flogging, then it's too late. You might as well be trying to correct a healthy He-goat. Cos you failed to start earlier. And being rude, wayward or stupid as become normal or praiseworthy to him/her.

The bible says you shall Beat him with a rod, and deliver his soul from hell... (Provb 23:14).

God bless.

3 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 18, 2022
Which one is child abuse in trying to correct a child?

I want to believe for every age you listed, there's a size of cane. Every child needs some form of dicipline to help shape them into well behaved humans however care should be taken in carrying out such disciplinary measures to avoid abuse.

For toddlers, I'll suggest a little spanking here and there to make them know when they've crossed boundaries.

My twin has a two year old who's been potty training for sometime now. When she gets carried away and pees on herself, she gets a little spanking on her bumbum and this has made her more conscious and she quickly runs to the bathroom/potty whenever she's pressed.
Now, she hardly pees on herself.

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Advancedman(m): 9:21pm On Sep 18, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

By your definition Teenager no dey go school?

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by rickyrex(m): 9:21pm On Sep 18, 2022
I went through hell in the hands of my dad. I almost hate him for flogging me mercilessly ... And today i am a father... I don't flog my kids and when my wife do, i give her a sad look . I only scold at my children.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by GboyegaD(m): 9:22pm On Sep 18, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

It depends. I don't believe in flogging a child however, there are times you need help a child remember what you have warned him/her about but definitely, not a toddler. Notwithstanding, tou can spank a toddler to help pass a message something is wrong. For example, if my toddler needs attention and you are not giving it to him on time, he tries to inflict pains on you with his fingers. A few taps have helped him reduce it.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by NaBanga: 9:28pm On Sep 18, 2022
No there is no reason to do so. Most people in the Western world have shied away from this. It creates little angry monsters that grow into angry hateful adults. You can't even watch a Nigerian movie without insults and shouting. It's because it's hard to find a Nigerian adult that doesn't behave in that manner. Look at all the frustrated people in Nigeria, then look at the smiling faces in the Western countries. Forget the exceptions you see online and tv of violence in the West. The good far outweighs the bad.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Theunbothered: 9:29pm On Sep 18, 2022
DaddyFreeze2020:

Stop using that Jewish fiction to justify torturing babies.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Advancedman(m): 9:30pm On Sep 18, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

Ask yourself why do babies beat people or haven't you seen babies fight.
It's a natural thing correction is not necessarily beating yet due to natural configuration of human even babies in the womb fight, but unethical flogging is bad.
Every child understand flogging by default even when babies bite during breastfeeding as habit they are spanked.
So it's not a Yoruba thing wait till you experience it yourself.
Invention of Antichrist in form of western adulteration and distortion of nature is probably the baseless sentiment you are considering and if you are from the South East also watch it has some parents from that region only practice parental negligence not what true Igbo discipline entail.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Lordofalmajiri(f): 9:32pm On Sep 18, 2022
rickyrex:
I went through hell in the hands of my dad. I almost hate him for flogging me mercilessly ... And today i am a father... I don't flog my kids and when my wife do, i give her a sad look . I only scold at my children.
Sir you're not doing them any a good honestly
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Lightorder: 9:33pm On Sep 18, 2022
MasterJayJay:

We fit use this rod?
yes o . That one make sense. Na the rod be that
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by foolbuster: 9:33pm On Sep 18, 2022
flemsy15:
For me 'cane' hasn't yielded better results than 'words' used by the whites. All the areas we were flogged growing up , the whites tend to be doing much better. Areas like punctuality, hygiene, sincerity, not-stealing, Truthfulness, avoiding unnecessary noise making, avoiding unnecessary begging, orderliness, etc... the whites are performing better than us. Beating makes us see virtues as punishments

You are being racist against yourself. All men are equal. Emancipate yourself from mental slavery
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Protein0: 9:33pm On Sep 18, 2022
boxer022:
Every child or in this case a toddler has their own size of cane and the way you use it on them is different from the way you use it on child above that age. If you don't start on-time to correct a child or toddler, it may be difficult to correct them when they grow.
Exactly. It might not be what she termed flogging tho.
Just a way to correct when necessary. Some children of nowadays can be very stubborn and troublesome grin
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Protein0: 9:34pm On Sep 18, 2022
Prism:

This is exactly what my sis in law told me.
Hmmm. This matter has really got me thinking
You have kids yet?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"My Mother Went Back To College At 45" - Twitter User Shares Photo / Dear Family, A Depressed Soul Needs Your Advice. / Things Men Should Never Do!

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.