Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,613 members, 7,962,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 07:07 PM

Meet Bendancer, The First Male Dancer At The New Afrika Shrine - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Meet Bendancer, The First Male Dancer At The New Afrika Shrine (529 Views)

Wizkid Prostrates For Femi Kuti At Fela's Afrika Shrine (Photos, Video) / Singer Jidenna Visits The New Afrika Shrine / Genevieve Nnaji, Rita Dominic, Dakore Akande's Look To New Afrika Shrine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet Bendancer, The First Male Dancer At The New Afrika Shrine by frankiekinase: 6:48pm On Apr 03, 2023
A cosy evening at the New Afrika Shrine to celebrate Fela Aníkúlápó Kuti's posthumous birthday in Nigeria's busy Lagos city. The artist performing tonight is Fela’s grandson, Omorinmade Kuti, known professionally as Made Kuti.

A few minutes to the heart of the electrifying show, Made climbed the stage accompanied by the usual troupe of curvy female dancers wriggling their waists as it's customary with the Fela brand. But among them, this time is a male dancer who heralds his entry with a couple of handsprings and somersaults in quick succession.

The stage is more charged than usual, with a male dancer now involved among women you can tell this is a hybrid of performance. And the male dancer is Benjamin Daniel, who is known professionally as Bendancer.

"I was listening to Made Kuti play in one of his father’s rehearsals every Thursday, so I walked up to him and asked him, can you do me the honour of allowing me to interpret this sound through dance? And he said Yes, so since that day we connected and that's how I became a member of the movement. It was a divine connection," Bendancer said recalling the day he joined the band.

Bendancer joined the 'Made Kuti and the Movement' on February 18, 2021, a band predominantly made of female dancers taking after the legacy of his grandfather. His first public performance with Made was at the 2021 edition of the Big Brother Naija Grand Finale. And 2021 joined Made for Fela Kuti Exposition at Philharmonie De Paris, France.

Who then is this male dancer calving a niche for himself where waist dance speaks the most, and how did he climb to the zenith of his career to being one of Kuti's sensations?

Born Benjamin Wurwar Gabriel Daniels in Nigeria's northeast city of Gombe, on the 16th of May 1994, to Daniel Gabriel Boi, a furniture maker dad and Liatu, a trading mom both from BOI and KUBI, respectively, both communities of Bogoro Local Government in Bauchi State. He is the first child of Four children from a strong Christian background.

At age 10, Bendancer had begun to be passionate about dancing; "Growing up as a child I loved music, and movement, so I discovered I got the rhythm and skills, and I started developing my talent," he said.

But there was a problem, Bendancer wished he had access to the internet and mentoring so he can gain the exposure his raw talent demanded. But he didn't let his temporary limitations deter him.

"I used to watch videos of the pop stars, Micheal Jackson, Psquare, Usher, Jefferey Daniel, Fela and his dancers, that helped me while growing up."

By the time he was done with his primary education at St. James Catholic School, Gombe, his junior secondary school at Government Day Secondary School Orji Estate in 2000 and senior secondary at Government Science Secondary School, Lakanje in Gombe State in 2009 Bendancer began to perform for local events, but it was merely to entertain and impress people with his unique dance steps. It was dancing for fun.

"My first stage performance was at our graduation ceremony in primary school where my parents and teachers were present, it was a fulfilling moment for me."

It was not until he was sprayed with money and gifts at an event that he realised he could use his talent to earn a living and impact his society positively.

Bendancer saved all the money he had made and bought an internet-enabled phone and started taking dance classes online.

In the year 2016, Bendancer enrolled in the popular American dance academy, So You Think You Can Dance where he took a contemporary dance course by renowned choreographer Tony Meredith. Ben had first learnt about the program from a family friend.

"that changed my career by giving me exposure to stage performance, and choreography," He said.

In 2020 Ben moved to Lagos to pursue his dancing career, and by that year he had founded Bendancer Academy International.

And then in 2021, was when he joined Made Kuti and the Movement becoming the first male dancer in the Kuti music dynasty.

"Dancing with Made Kuti is another part of my journey I enjoy too. We share the same ideas, beyond fame or money, impacting our world with positivity and hope of a world that will be free of corruption and a true desire to live a life worthy of emulation in the society," he said.

"I tell great stories with my movement, by interpretation of every sound and instrument, that's afrobeat."

Source: https://theparadise.ng/meet-bendancer-the-first-male-dancer-at-the-new-afrika-shrine

Re: Meet Bendancer, The First Male Dancer At The New Afrika Shrine by judatech: 7:41pm On Apr 03, 2023
All this gist na for dancer things abi?
Kwantinue

2 Likes

Re: Meet Bendancer, The First Male Dancer At The New Afrika Shrine by Mikespecialone(m): 10:38pm On Apr 03, 2023
judatech:
All this gist na for dancer things abi?
Kwantinue

E tire me oo

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Diddy And Burna Boy Performs At Met Gala 2023 After Party (live Performance) / DJ Splash Alleges Naira Marley And Associates Of Spiking His Food And Drinks / Portable meets Kanayo O. Kanayo after Beating Kizz Daniel Bouncer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.