Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,969 members, 7,960,052 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 12:11 PM

How Old And How Many Generation Is Your Surname? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Old And How Many Generation Is Your Surname? (253 Views)

When A Deadbeat Dad Gets Old And Weary. / What Is It Like To Grow Old And Never Be Married? / Man Changes His Surname To His Mother’s Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Old And How Many Generation Is Your Surname? by fineboynl(m): 10:29pm On Jul 26, 2023
I can’t really tell how old is my surname neither can i tell how many generations.

Both my father and grand father had no idea of the origin of the surname. Funny enough i have seen people who originated from other states using the same surname. From my speculation that name might be more than 500 years or maybe not.

Why should a surname you have no idea of it origin continue? And you have to continue to pass it down? Does it make any sense?

How old is your surname? And how many generations?
Re: How Old And How Many Generation Is Your Surname? by izonborn098(m): 10:33pm On Jul 26, 2023
Grandfather'' but my children will not use that name. But in my mother s side that name don reach 300 to 400 years
Re: How Old And How Many Generation Is Your Surname? by Shnew: 10:38pm On Jul 26, 2023
fineboynl:
I can’t really tell how old is my surname neither can i tell how many generations.

Both my father and grand father had no idea of the origin of the surname. Funny enough i have seen people who originated from other states using the same surname. From my speculation that name might be more than 500 years or maybe not.

Why should a surname you have no idea of it origin continue? And you have to continue to pass it down? Does it make any sense?

How old us your surname? And how many generations?

700 years
Re: How Old And How Many Generation Is Your Surname? by illicit(m): 10:39pm On Jul 26, 2023
It's my Grandfather's given name, I will give my children my father's

My children will give their children mine...

Probably
Re: How Old And How Many Generation Is Your Surname? by incandescentena: 10:47pm On Jul 26, 2023
Alexander 323BC
Re: How Old And How Many Generation Is Your Surname? by annayawchee: 11:59pm On Jul 26, 2023
Great grand
Re: How Old And How Many Generation Is Your Surname? by Nemesis0147(m): 12:45am On Jul 27, 2023
Great grandfather I think…we didn’t change is because the name is influential and we are the only family bearing the name in my town/community.
Re: How Old And How Many Generation Is Your Surname? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:34am On Jul 27, 2023
I was answering my father's name while growing up, in my secondary school my father changed my surname to our ancestral name and added his own name as middle name. As an adult, I used both names!

However, my child is answering my own name as her surname... likewise my wife... I am of the school of thought that children bear the names of their fathers as surname.

(1) (Reply)

Alternative Stroke Therapy / Months After Abortion, I Still Don't Ovulate. Please Help / Defying Territorial Demons Around You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.