Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,097 members, 7,880,428 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:06 PM

. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (1148 Views)

Nigerian Lady Advises Married Men To Have Regular Sex With Wives To Stop Nagging / Why Married Men Prefer Us To Their Wives - Commercial Sex Workers / 7 Reasons Why Married Men Sleep With Their House Helps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 06, 2023
Re: . by Felimax(m): 5:27pm On Nov 06, 2023
Who goes into marriage without preparing for the unexpected?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by AsomArchitectNG(m): 5:29pm On Nov 06, 2023
Is ur family selling their daughter or giving her out for marriage..

I really don't understand the concept of some family that sees marriage as a way of extorting their in-laws to be

7 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 06, 2023
They are not selling anyone... The bride price will be used to plan for the wedding.
AsomArchitectNG:
Is ur family selling their daughter or giving her out for marriage..

I really don't understand the concept of some family that sees marriage as a way of extorting their in-laws to be
Re: . by AsomArchitectNG(m): 5:36pm On Nov 06, 2023
Samantha124:
They are not selling anyone... The bride price will be used to plan for the wedding.

Bride price is different from the money that's meant to be used for a wedding...

7 Likes

Re: . by finallybusy: 5:38pm On Nov 06, 2023
Is his name Tebogo?
Re: . by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 06, 2023
In my tribe, the bride price is the money used to plan for the wedding.
AsomArchitectNG:

Bride price is different from the money that's meant to be used for a wedding...

2 Likes

Re: . by jackmrandy: 5:42pm On Nov 06, 2023
Things like these are what discourage men from getting married. And not just does it discourage men, it makes some to go into illegal act just to get that money. More so, if this man finally pay and do the party your family wants, don't be surprise after the marriage, he might not even reason the in-laws again. Like make anything sup, he nor go show body. This must be in the East. Those people sell their daughters out. E nor get waitin you wan tell me. Anywayz I am not married. Let me allow those who are married to share their views

4 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 06, 2023
I'm South African...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
jackmrandy:
Things like these are what discourage men from getting married. And not just does it discourage men, it makes some to go into illegal act just to get that money. More so, if this man finally pay and do the party your family wants, don't be surprise after the marriage, he might not even reason the in-laws again. Like make anything sup, he nor go show body. This must be in the East. Those people sell their daughters out. E nor get waitin you wan tell me. Anywayz I am not married. Let me allow those who are married to share their views

1 Like

Re: . by ojun50(m): 5:51pm On Nov 06, 2023
Did your family give him the bride price list?

Yr family don’t look serious at all, how can dey put introductions time at 8:00am

Tell the young man to look for another family to marry into

6 Likes

Re: . by AsomArchitectNG(m): 5:56pm On Nov 06, 2023
Samantha124:

You should have stated it...

Anyways, i see nothing really wrong with ur family disposition on the subject matter. It's expected that as a man, you have to be prepared all round before the set date for the payment of bride price/wedding provided the list given is not too exorbitant

3 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 06, 2023
Yes, they did.

It was actually the guy's family who said they'll come at 8am.
ojun50:
Did your family give him the bride price list?

Yr family don’t look serious at all, how can dey put introductions time at 8:00am

Tell the young man to look for another family to marry into
Re: . by Dikastan: 5:58pm On Nov 06, 2023
Marriage = money...love is not enough for marriage. If you have got little money, forget about marriage,just dey do friendship dey go.

1 Like

Re: . by jackmrandy: 6:29pm On Nov 06, 2023
Samantha124:
I'm South African...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Okkk. So it happpens there too?
Re: . by Nobody: 6:30pm On Nov 06, 2023
Yes... smiley smiley smiley
jackmrandy:

Re: . by Puss360(f): 6:36pm On Nov 06, 2023
Well... They say, where your madness stop is the beginning of someone else madness grin grin grin...
I am here thinking Nigerian bride price tradition is weird, not knowing somewhere else, the bride price tradition is weirder grin grin grin...
Here in some cases they so manage what the guy has . But there they will dictate if it's too small....
Here parent rush the guy and the girl to quickly get married, but there the guy should hustle more and come back when he is financially buoyant grin grin grin...
It's obvious parents over there aren't really concerned about grandkids... The well being of their children are their priority...
Here, both parents of the guy Nd girl will ring bell for grandkids that's why they manage anything the guy brings to the table...
grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 06, 2023
Samantha124:
If this is the case, then the groom should add to the money. Does he want guests to be sharing a piece of meat?

But your family members aren't diplomatic with the situation, why embarrass the guy and his family?
Re: . by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 06, 2023
Well, I guess that's why introductions are very important in an African culture because both families get to meet and discuss about the bride price before the actual day of the bride price... The family members were just six in total and no one else was invited because it's still a private matter.

And from what I hear, his family would be having a party on the day of the bride price... Imagine if the families didn't meet before and discuss about it, only for the groom's family to be turned down on the day of the bride price when people were invited to the party, it would be humiliating and the party would've been for nothing... grin grin grin
Persephone1:
If this is the case, then the groom should add to the money. Does he want guests to be sharing a piece of meat?

But your family members aren't diplomatic with the situation, why embarrass the guy and his family?
Re: . by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 06, 2023
In my tribe( especially my dialect ), the higher the food prices, the higher the bride price... Once the groom's family starts complaining, they'll tell them that food prices have gone up and they can't plan the wedding with peanuts... grin grin grin

One of my sisters has been married for more than 10 years now and her bride price was just R5000 back then, but if you dare now tell the girl's family that you're going to give them R5000 as bride price, they will chase you out of the house with dogs, cats, chickens, or whatever living thing they have in the house..πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Puss360:
Well... They say, where your madness stop is the beginning of someone else madness grin grin grin...
I am here thinking Nigerian bride price tradition is weird, not knowing somewhere else, the bride price tradition is weirder grin grin grin...
Here in some cases they so manage what the guy has . But there they will dictate if it's too small....
Here parent rush the guy and the girl to quickly get married, but there the guy should hustle more and come back when he is financially buoyant grin grin grin...
It's obvious parents over there aren't really concerned about grandkids... The well being of their children are their priority...
Here, both parents of the guy Nd girl will ring bell for grandkids that's why they manage anything the guy brings to the table...
grin grin grin
Re: . by bukatyne(f): 8:18pm On Nov 06, 2023
Puss360:
grin grin grin

As in eh!

I read the OP, was like what's this?

Then read the follow-up posts and wondered what the heck was going on.

@OP:

Your sister's boyfriend should look for more money to marry her or a girl whose family is within his budget abi?
Re: . by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 06, 2023
That's his decision to make... grin grin grin
bukatyne:

As in eh!

I read the OP, was like what's this?

Then read the follow-up posts and wondered what the heck was going on.

@OP:

Your sister's boyfriend should look for more money to marry her or a girl whose family is within his budget abi?
Re: . by bukatyne(f): 8:25pm On Nov 06, 2023
Samantha124:
That's his decision to make... grin grin grin[/b]

Toor!

What you call Bride Price sounds like 'Reception Planning' in Nigeria.

For us, BP is more of symbolic so it's a small stipulated amount in addition to the marriage list.
Re: . by mariahAngel(f): 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2023
AsomArchitectNG:

You should have stated it...

Anyways, i see nothing really wrong with ur family disposition on the subject matter. It's expected that as a man, you have to be prepared all round before the set date for the payment of bride price/wedding provided the list given is not too exorbitant

jackmrandy:

All of a sudden, you've both lost your voices, eekwa? angry
You no longer have much problem with or see anything wrong with it? Shior! πŸ˜ͺ
Re: . by jackmrandy: 8:35pm On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:

All of a sudden, you've both lost your voices, eekwa? angry
You no longer have much problem with or see anything wrong with it? Shior! πŸ˜ͺ

Lost my voice ke. But it's a norm in the Eastern part and even yourself can attest to that.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 06, 2023
Well, there are some things the groom's family will also be expected to bring on the week of the wedding.

And when negotiating a bride price, the girl's family also checks the value their daughter carries, if she's well educated and got a good job, expect a high bride price.

But if she's uneducated and unemployed, expect a lower bride price because their child is a liability and they just want to see her out of the house, they would just do a simple wedding reception... grin grin grin
bukatyne:

Toor!

What you call Bride Price sounds like 'Reception Planning' in Nigeria.

For us, BP is more of symbolic so it's a small stipulated amount in addition to the marriage list.
Re: . by frozen70(f): 12:42am On Nov 07, 2023
Samantha124:
Has your wife's family ever turned down your bride price and said that it was small? Did you go back to save more money or you had to borrow it from family members?

Reason I'm asking this is because my sister's boyfriend finally decided to do an introduction yesterday... He and his family had already set a date to come and pay for the bride price, which is next month... But my family turned him down and said the dowry was too small... They even fined him and his family for being late because they were supposed to show up at 8am, but they came at 11am.

My family went to the extent of telling him to stop rushing into marriage if he's too broke, that he should go back and save some more because the amount he wants to pay can't help plan for a wedding.

I kinda felt bad for the guy... If I was him, not only was I going to feel emasculated, I'd be very embarrassed.

So, nairaland men, have you guys experienced the same thing and is it common in Nigeria for a bride price to be turned down?

This question shouldn't be directed to men alone

Bride price is always negotiated on that day not in advance

When your inlaws are seated, the father and his family takes the inlaw aside and they will negotiate the price, which is basically a commitment for marriage not that she is for sale

Then if the father makes an offer and the man can afford it, he will come back to the gathering that this is what he is taking as bride price and the suitor will make the payment to the witness of all

So for your inlaws bride price to be rejected means that there was no discussion about it in the first place

And he offered what he can afford which her dad rejected

To me it's a humiliated attempt and it's going to affect the entire both family relationship and to the pains of the wife to be
Re: . by Free2Fly: 4:57am On Nov 07, 2023
Felimax:
Who goes into marriage without preparing for the unexpected?

Some of you just rush to type nonsense in order to be the 'first to comment'

So, where you come from, families charge heavy bride price so they can use it to prepare for wedding??
Re: . by Free2Fly: 5:01am On Nov 07, 2023
jackmrandy:

Foolish tribalist and Igbophobic cockroach.

She's from SA, not East where your father's useless umbilical cord was buried.
Re: . by jackmrandy: 5:22am On Nov 07, 2023
Free2Fly:

Foolish tribalist and Igbophobic cockroach.

She's from SA, not East where your father's useless umbilical cord was buried.

Seee this were... Deny the east own na. When even the Eastern men don confirm am self and as such they are now going for other tribes.

1 Like

Re: . by Kobicove(m): 7:25am On Nov 07, 2023
Why would your family set 8am as the time for the ceremony, is it a job interview? grin
Re: . by Felimax(m): 9:38am On Nov 07, 2023
Free2Fly:

Some of you just rush to type nonsense in order to be the 'first to comment'

So, where you come from, families charge heavy bride price so they can use it to prepare for wedding??

You seem not to understand but i am sorry i added my voice.
Re: . by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 07, 2023
Must I explain the same thing over and over again?πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

If you read my comments, you'd know that it's the guy's family who set the time of the meeting.

And it wasn't a ceremony, but a private meeting, they were just 6 in total.

You guys really need to learn to read and understand before commenting because I really can't be explaining same things over and over again..πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ
Kobicove:
Why would your family set 8am as the time for the ceremony, is it a job interview? grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Scarcity Of Baby Nets / 360Β° Degree Family Life / A Man And His 4 Wives - Heart Touching Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.