Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,662 members, 7,962,153 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 02:44 AM

Do You Know There Is A Haunted Mine In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Know There Is A Haunted Mine In Nigeria? (1057 Views)

DID YOU KNOW? There Is An Aliko Dangote University In Nigeria / Check Out "Gooonu Banana" Nigeria's Famous Haunted Home {Pictures} / These Are Haunted Places Around The World That You Will Not Even Dream To Visit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know There Is A Haunted Mine In Nigeria? by Overseer0(m): 9:33pm On May 25
It’s called Iva Mine Valley In Enugu
All you need to know about it.
This is a story of how 21 miners who were unfairly killed at Iva mine in Enugu and still hunt the place till today, The coal mines in Enugu have been branded haunted for over 60 years because of the cries of the massacred souls that haunt Iva Valley.
Nearly 70 years ago, the lives of 21 miners — fathers, husbands, sons, breadwinners — came to an abrupt end when they fell to a hail of bullets at the hands of the colonial police while protesting harsh working conditions.
This was one of the many motivations for the Zikist movement (Nnamdi Azikwe) for Independence.
In 1917, the Iva Valley mines were built to replace the Udi coal mines which had been closed. Subsequently, the working conditions became deplorable — cases of racism and physical abuse — under the management of British managers.
one case, Mister T. Yates, a British national, on September 2, 1945 slapped a worker, Mr Okwudili Ojiyi, who took courage and brought up an assault case and Mr T. Yates was prosecuted and penalized, Still many of the harsh conditions remained.
It all escalated on November 1, 1949 when the workers’ demands for the payment of rostering, the upgrading of the mine hewers to artisans and the payment of housing and travelling allowances were rejected by the management.
Hence, the workers began a strike which led the Bristish managers to sack over 50 miners, This led the management to remove all the explosives from the mines on November 18th, as they feared the strike was as a result of the growing agitations for Independence.
After removing that of Obwetti mines (sister mine) easily, the explosives at Iva Valley proved difficult, especially with the workers refusing to assist the management. The miners also feared that if they removed the explosives, nothing would stand in the way of the management’s shutting down the mine (this was discovered by The Fitzgerald Commission, which the colonialists were forced to set up to investigate the massacre).
Re: Do You Know There Is A Haunted Mine In Nigeria? by illicit(m): 9:50pm On May 25
Too bad
Re: Do You Know There Is A Haunted Mine In Nigeria? by immortalcrown(m): 9:53pm On May 25
I never heard about haunting. But I heard about the maltreatment and the killing of the workers.

Geoffrey Chidindu mentioned it in one of his songs.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know There Is A Haunted Mine In Nigeria? by finallybusy: 11:42pm On May 25
All in the past. Most of them would have long died had the situation not taken place.
Re: Do You Know There Is A Haunted Mine In Nigeria? by CuriousCart(f): 1:25am On May 26
Go there, record their wailing voices and share on YouTube if your story is true.

Or don't you want to earn Youtube revenue?

5 Likes

Re: Do You Know There Is A Haunted Mine In Nigeria? by Cassandraloius: 7:18am On May 26
So many crazy stories every day.
Re: Do You Know There Is A Haunted Mine In Nigeria? by ruggedtimi(m): 1:41pm On May 26
CuriousCart:
Go there, record their wailing voices and share on YouTube if your story is true.

Or don't you want to earn Youtube revenue?
i guess the story was used to scare children away.
Re: Do You Know There Is A Haunted Mine In Nigeria? by Writervick(m): 5:39pm On May 26
Really?

(1) (Reply)

Agricultural Engineering / Undergraduate Admissions 2006/2007 Session! / Abu Strike: Share Your View

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.