Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,024 members, 7,963,334 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 10:03 AM

Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 (31962 Views)

Why We Accepted ₦‎70,000 Naira Minimum Wage - Labour / Fuel Hike: It Will Be An Indefinite Nationwide Strike Without Notice - Ajaero / Ogun Workers Declare Indefinite Strike Over Unremitted Deductions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by triplechoice(m): 11:49pm On May 31
eddie7:

I do, very well if I must say.

Minimum wage is usually reviewed at intervals....either upwards or downnwards

You're arguing the impossible. Minimum wage has never been reviewed downwards in this country or elsewhere where it's implemented.

If you know the reason why it's always reviewed upwards,you wouldn't mention a downward review.

The condition that would necessitate a downward of minimum wage has never happened anywhere in the world. It will never happen.

It's only a dictatorship government that would attempt reviewing minimum wage downward.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by PARADIZEPRIEST: 12:16am On Jun 01
Useless labor,useless ajero ,agbero,you know your minimum wage will cause heightened inflation and you foools still press for it. angry
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by PARADIZEPRIEST: 12:19am On Jun 01
PARADIZEPRIEST:
Useless labor,useless ajero ,agbero,you know your minimum wage will cause heightened inflation and you foools still press for it. angry
WHAT NIGERIA CIVIL SERVCE NEED S IS FRINGE INCREASE IN WAGES BACKED WITH SUBSIDIZED MASS TRANSIT ,AND GOVT HOUSING RELEASED angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by aywagze(m): 3:29am On Jun 01
NLC should go to hell ..🤔
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by kayusely70(m): 5:10am On Jun 01
Cost of governance has to be reduced for government to afford such huge wages being demanded by Labour.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by ufotunang: 7:32am On Jun 01
Tinubu just to increase the price of fuel disel kerosene foodstuffs, electricity bills, transportation, taxes... but to increase minimum wage he cannot..no conscience and feelings for the poor nigerians
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by BeeNG3: 7:34am On Jun 01
FULLY SUPPORTED!
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by eddie7: 8:59am On Jun 01
triplechoice:

You're arguing the impossible. Minimum wage has never been reviewed downwards in this country or elsewhere where it's implemented.

If you know the reason why it's always reviewed upwards,you wouldn't mention a downward review.

The condition that would necessitate a downward of minimum wage has never happened anywhere in the world. It will never happen.

It's only a dictatorship government that would attempt reviewing minimum wage downward.

Minimum wage review as narrated by

’Tunji Ajibade

Recently, the Nigerian Labour Congress returned to the trenches threatening strike action. Its leadership says governments drag their feet over an agreement to increase minimum wage for workers. A reader may notice that I use ‘increase’ not ‘review’. It’s because in Nigeria, labour leaders regard review of minimum wage as increase only. But a review can be to review downward, upward, or reach an agreement to let the status quo remain for certain reasons. When the NLC threatens strike action over wages these days, it seems it’s the only thing it thinks about regarding how to improve the living condition of workers. Is wage increase the only way to improve workers’ condition? If labour unions fully have their thinking caps on, increase in minimum wage isn’t the only language they should be speaking from the 1940s till date.

https://punchng.com/we-can-have-a-downward-review-of-minimum-wage/
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by Bigpat: 9:06am On Jun 01
This government cares about Nigeria, they cannot see a bag pf rice sold b4 at 16k now selling at 87k, basin of gari sold b4 at 6k now selling at 38k, bread sold b4 at #200 now selling at #1,800 etc, and they will refuse to at least pay half of the 615k demanded by Labour, PBAT even promised living wage. I think they misunderstood New Minimum Wage for New National Anthem; you know they all start with New New.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by IAmHim1: 9:25am On Jun 01
Hmmm

There is something you really need to understand and I believe you have a well laid foundation to understanding already

You want to know how I know that. It was from what you said

" By paying them wages not enough to enable them afford the basic necessities of life"

No ask yourself, how did the basic necessities of life SUDDENLY become unaffordable??

TA-DA!!

it was once affordable...but guess what...it's no longer affordable...so what the hell happened

Ponder on this in your spare time: The price of food stuffs in the market IS NOT GOING UP. it's the value of money THATS GOING DOWN!!!

that's why too much money is now chasing fewer goods

FIRST,

1) because there is fewer good ie our farmers due to insurgency CANT go back to their farms to produce food crop to feed the local population hence we resort to importation hence reducing the value of our currency further

2) because there is too much money in circulation BECAUSE OF EXCESS LOANS BEING GIVEN OUT!!!

by taking away the loans, the money in the economy is reduced AND if farmers return back to their farm and match the already reduced money with local production, then Nigeria is free from her economic mess

Go back and read my post and the links I dropped.

Yes!
A 50kg bag of rice can actually be #5000 and lesser and I have just given the most beautiful blueprint you'll ever ever read about, here or anywhere

You're welcome

triplechoice:

There's no alternative to minimum wage if you
really know what it means. It's law not only in Nigeria but everywhere in the world where it's implemented.

And the idea behind the minimum wage law is to ensure employers of labour don't exploit their workers, especially the lowest paid staff ,by paying them wages not enough to enable them afford the basic necessities of life.

It's for this reason it's reviewed upwards periodically to meet up with current realities. In Nigeria,the law says it must be reviewed upwards once every 5 years .

Delete the thread you created. Nobody in government will look at it because they know minimum wage is workers right that cannot be tempered with.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by SMUTHFX: 10:14am On Jun 01
Oh well, partially right but you need to understand that the government policies made prices of goods and services high...the best the government can do is to subsidize, return subsidy and stop the sharing of conditional cash transfer. Policy and economy implication should be considered before taking any decision that you sure know will affect the masses, construction of coastal roads and allocating funds for it is just a misplaced priority, how many Nigerians live along the coastal line? Anything we do in life let us place our needs first..... food, shelter, electricity clothing should be priority of the government, we’ve all got one life to live and truth be told, i am disappointed in the policy’s of this present government....
IAmHim1:
Hmmm

There is something you really need to understand and I believe you have a well laid foundation to understanding already

" By paying them wages not enough to enable them afford the basic necessities of life"

No ask yourself, how did the basic necessities of life SUDDENLY become unaffordable??

TA-DA!!

it was once affordable...but guess what...it's no longer affordable...so what the hell happened

Ponder on this in your spare time: The price of food stuffs in the market IS NOT GOING UP. it's the value of money THATS GOING DOWN!!!

FIRST,

1) because there is fewer good ie our farmers due to insurgency CANT go back to their farms to produce food crop to feed the local population hence we resort to importation hence reducing the value of our currency further

2) because there is too much money in circulation BECAUSE OF EXCESS LOANS BEING GIVEN OUT!!!

by taking away the loans, the money in the economy is reduced AND if farmers return back to their farm and match the already reduced money with local production, then Nigeria is free from her economic mess

Yes!
A 50kg bag of rice can actually be #5000 and lesser and I have just given the most beautiful blueprint you'll ever ever read about, here or anywhere

You're welcome

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by triplechoice(m): 11:41am On Jun 01
IAmHim1:
Hmmm

TA-DA!!

FIRST,

Yes!

You're welcome

What you have is a mono- causal explanation for why basic necessities are currently beyond the reach of the common man in Nigeria . Not everything whose price has gone up is imported in this country.

Greed by traders is one of the major reasons the prices of garri and other foodstuff has hit the roof top, and not just because the value of the naira has reduced. Do we import garri? No.

We're even exporting it right now resulting in scarcity of the product And scarcity we all know leads to price increase.

Also, artificial scarcity due to hoarding of garri and other food items is responsible for the current hyperinflation.

Finally ,a bag of rice can never be 5k in Nigeria. That can only happen in a dream. There's a reason why economics solutions hardly ever work in this country. Nigeria is filled with a lot of crazy people who do things abnormally.

Are you aware that manufacturers of sachet water in some parts of Nigeria have formed unions to dictate the price of that product, with the government doing nothing about it.?

A bag of sachet water should not be more than 250 naira, according to a friend into the business , but the union they're forced to join in the area where he has his factory, says everyone must sell a bag 450 naira .why? Is it we import water or the value of the naira has reduced?

By forcing people to join such unions, they have succeeded in eliminating competition that would have resulted in different prices for the benefit of the consumers.

Is that normal?

You don't yet know the county that you live in.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by Callosobruchus(m): 11:53am On Jun 01
I used to blame NLC for over exaggerating the minimum wage,but when I bought a pair of shoe yesterday that was worth 5k a few years back for 40k I was like;WHAT?
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by wunaESQ(m): 11:58am On Jun 01
Strike!
Strike!!
Strike!!!

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by IAmHim1: 12:11pm On Jun 01
You're typing because you feel like typing..not because you need understanding

Price of food stuffs made locally is not going up because of greed

The greed was only triggered because of scarcity

If the goods was enough to go round and back, no body in his or her right Sense will thinknof storing and hoarding.

Because you can only hoard that much...and when the goods become too much in the market, price will crash and the hoarder will be at a terrible loss
https://www.nairaland.com/8081414/nigerias-inflation-state-federal-governments

There. That should give you your light bulb moment

triplechoice:

What you have is a mono- causal explanation for why basic necessities are currently beyond the reach of the common man in Nigeria . Not everything whose price has gone up is imported in this country.

Greed by traders is one of the major reasons the prices of garri and other foodstuff has hit the roof top, and not just because the value of the naira has reduced. Do we import garri? No.

We're even exporting it right now resulting in scarcity of the product And scarcity we all know leads to price increase.

Also, artificial scarcity due to hoarding of garri and other food items is responsible for the current hyperinflation.

Finally ,a bag of rice can never be 5k in Nigeria. That can only happen in a dream. There's a reason why economics solutions hardly ever work in this country. Nigeria is filled with a lot of crazy people who do things abnormally.

Are you aware that manufacturers of sachet water in some parts of Nigeria have formed unions to dictate the price of that product, with the government doing nothing about it.?

A bag of sachet water should not be more than 250 naira, according to a friend into the business , but the union they're forced to join in the area where he has his factory, says everyone must sell a bag 450 naira .why? Is it we import water or the value of the naira has reduced?

By forcing people to join such unions, they have succeeded in eliminating competition that would have resulted in different prices for the benefit of the consumers.

Is that normal?

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by IAmHim1: 12:14pm On Jun 01

If the goods was enough to go round and back, no body in his or her right Sense will thinknof storing and hoarding.

Because you can only hoard that much...and when the goods become too much in the market, price will crash and the hoarder will be at a terrible loss

Farmers are not in their farm. All because of insurgency

Meaning

1) no food production to support local population

2) foreign investors wouldn't want to invest in a country they don't feel themselves, their staffs and their investments would be safe.

Hence we lose foreign cash flow and STILL resort to importation of food

That's why sometimes the price of a bag of foreign rice and the price of local garri are almost level.

I have explained it here

That should give you your light bulb moment

triplechoice:

Is that normal?

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by IAmHim1: 12:19pm On Jun 01
Government policies is just a baby in a room of economic GIANTS

read this:

You. Will. See. It. Then

You're welcome!

SMUTHFX:
Oh well, partially right but you need to understand that the government policies made prices of goods and services high...the best the government can do is to subsidize, return subsidy and stop the sharing of conditional cash transfer. Policy and economy implication should be considered before taking any decision that you sure know will affect the masses, construction of coastal roads and allocating funds for it is just a misplaced priority, how many Nigerians live along the coastal line? Anything we do in life let us place our needs first..... food, shelter, electricity clothing should be priority of the government, we’ve all got one life to live and truth be told, i am disappointed in the policy’s of this present government....
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by triplechoice(m): 1:07pm On Jun 01
IAmHim1:

There. That should give you your light bulb moment

You're projecting yourself. You're the one typing because you feel like typing.

You argued that it's the value of the nation's currency that's reducing and not price of goods increasing.

I said it's not completely true and gave my reasons. Debunk those and stop the wayward talk.

There was a time when it was unheard of for a profession footballer in the UK to earn 500k as weekly wages. But now they are earning it. Why? Is it because the value of the British pounds has reduced in value or due to what?

Paper money is an illusion, and it's something you're yet to understand .

And I repeat,( not meant to disparage you in any way),you still don't understand what minimum wage represents and why it's backed by law in Nigeria . If you do , you won't talk of any alternative .

Economic experts consulted by the federal government has advised minimum wage is reviewed upwards to 100k. The IMF and the world bank known for poke nosing into what's done in Nigeria,have not suggested any alternatives or discourage the move , but here you are talking of an unrealistic alternative because you have have succeeded in convincing yourself, deluding yourself, that you know more than everyone of those experts

I think it's enough for now.You can continue to share your thoughts with those who will listen. Good luck .

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by IAmHim1: 1:12pm On Jun 01
Jon snow

So because the world bank is white and I'm black so you listen to the white man grin grin

The same people that told you about coronavirus and how deadly it is grin

I'm sure you know a lot of people that didn't take the vaccine and are still alive.

Lol

You're quite easy to play

Just settle for one choice and be done with it
triplechoice:

You're projecting yourself. You're the one typing because you feel like typing.

You argued that it's the value of the nation's currency that's reducing and not price of goods increasing.

I said it's not completely true and gave my reasons. Debunk those and stop the wayward talk.

There was a time when it was unheard of for a profession footballer in the UK to earn 500k as weekly wages. But now they are earning it. Why? Is it because the value of the British pounds has reduced in value or due to what?

Paper money is an illusion, and it's something you're yet to understand .

And I repeat,( not meant to disparage you in any way),you still don't understand what minimum wage represents and why it's backed by law in Nigeria . If you do , you won't talk of any alternative .

Economic experts consulted by the federal government has advised minimum wage is reviewed upwards to 100k. The IMF and the world bank known for poke nosing into what's done in Nigeria,have not suggested any alternatives or discourage the move , but here you are talking of an unrealistic alternative because you have have succeeded in convincing yourself, deluding yourself, that you know more than everyone of those experts

I think it's enough for now.You can continue to share your thoughts with those who will listen. Good luck .

Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by triplechoice(m): 1:23pm On Jun 01
IAmHim1:
Jon snow

So because the world bank is white and I'm black so you listen to the white man grin grin

The same people that told you about coronavirus and how deadly it is grin

I'm sure you know a lot of people that didn't take the vaccine and are still alive.

Lol

You're quite easy to play

Just settle for one choice and be done with it

Hehehe. So the world bank is made up of only white people? Just look at you. SMH

I even mentioned economic experts, who are obviously Nigerians consulted by the federal government .But you skipped that because you don't take your time to read before replying ,and that is why you have been misrepresenting me.

I said, one of the reasons for the rising cost of food items in Nigeria is greed, but you interpreted to mean I said it's the only reason.

Modified. I'm sure you don't even know one of our own, Nkonjo Iweala was a former vice of the world bank, and almost headed it. Do you,Mr White man?
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by owunabastard: 3:55pm On Jun 01
tnerro1:
TUC will go behind and betray them as usual
That Edo man, you know them very well
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by Nickymezor(f): 7:57pm On Jun 01
If I hear undecided I doubt if it will hold.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by oneMalik: 4:08pm On Jun 03
I may be a Big fool for thinking all is well in Nigeria My Lovely Country .

But what are you when you are not playing your role as a citizen ? A BIGGER FOOL ??

Danniedpastor:

You are a big fool to pretend like all is well with Nigeria.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by Danniedpastor(m): 6:33pm On Jun 03
oneMalik:
I may be a Big fool for thinking all is well in Nigeria My Lovely Country .

But what are you when you are not playing your role as a citizen ? A BIGGER FOOL ??

Wereh, dey ask question.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by oneMalik: 4:17am On Jun 04
No level of your frustration can help you or change nothing , so you've gotta tell yourself the truth and face whatever is facing you .

until you pave your way , nobody is gonna do that for you .

wake up !
don't get lazy in your head .

Danniedpastor:

Wereh, dey ask question.
Re: Minimum Wage: Labour Declare Indefinite Nationwide Strike June 3 by lapintoz: 10:23pm On Jun 04
Obioma the tailor....wetin be your own.....you don chop today?

wealthyvic1:
Keep your dirty mouth shut

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fayose For President 2019 Campaign Poster / Patience Never Wanted Jonathan In Politics – Alamieyeseigha / PDP Imported Supporters From Niger Republic For Sokoto Rally – El-rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.