Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,459 members, 7,961,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 03:10 AM

Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know (515 Views)

Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. / Do Car AC Truly Expire ? I'm Tired! / Does A Driving School Certificate Expire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know by fineboynl(m): 3:55pm On Jun 03
Yes you heard me right. Most filing stations are selling expired fuel. And it's one of the reasons it burns very fast.

The shelf life of gasoline is just 30days, after that it will start going bad.

gasoline do expires just after 30days but majority of Nigeria do not know. And in most cause the fuel already expired before they even enter the country not to talk of the time it spends on some filling stations.

Yes. Old gas turns to gum and varnish very quickly. It actually does this in a molecular way. Most of the gum and varnish particles are very small and usually cannot be seen by the naked eye in a newly fresh gasoline. But after some days these particles will first start to stick to each other to create larger particles which can be clearly seen with the eye and get bigger each passing day. Then they begin sticking to the fuel injectors or carburetor and causing the engine to not get the correct amount of fuel it need. In addition.

Old fuel can also cause other problems such as clogging, corrosion and gumming. As the fuel ages , it can form deposits and gummy substances that can block the fuel system and reduce the fuel quality and flow. Old fuel can also also attract water and dirt that can rust the fuel tank and engine. Rust can weaken the metal parts and cause leaks and cracks that can affect the safety and function of the car.

The time it takes for the fuel to go bad depends on the type and quality if the fuel, the storage conditions, and the usage frequency of the car, gasoline goes bad after about 30 days, while diesel lasts up to six months. But this can change depending on the temperature, humidity, air exposure, and additives. Some fuels have ethanol, which is a biofuel that can absorb water and separate from gasoline. Ethanol can also harm some rubber and plastic parts of the fuel system.
Re: Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know by Efuaye(m): 4:12pm On Jun 03
What happens to the fuel in the vehicle tank for months especially for those who parked them unused for months for one reason or the other?

3 Likes

Re: Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know by budaatum: 4:30pm On Jun 03
Perhaps petrol stations should publish expiry dates for their petrol then, lol.

3 Likes

Re: Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know by Elsueno: 6:00pm On Jun 03
No be truth

Sometimes I leave petrol for my gen for like 4 months. And it still works fine when my solar decides to misbehave during rain season or long time without power due to transformer vandalism.

3 Likes

Re: Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know by fineboynl(m): 11:37pm On Jun 03
Elsueno:
No be truth

Sometimes I leave petrol for my gen for like 4 months. And it still works fine when my solar decides to misbehave during rain season or long time without power due to transformer vandalism.
leave a fuel in a transparent container for 2 months. Go and check with again the thing you will see inside.
Re: Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know by Elsueno: 8:28pm On Jun 04
fineboynl:
leave a fuel in a transparent container for 2 months. Go and check with again the thing you will see inside.

My brother, my brother....2 months is too short for any significant changes. Just make sure the container is closed tightly & U shall be fine. That is assuming you bought correct fuel. As some fuel stations owners are very shady
Re: Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know by jmoore(m): 8:49pm On Jun 04
E get petrol wey dey for our surface water pump machine for more than 2 years.

I did a brief research on google and they said the shelf life of petrol is 6 months.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know by 2shure: 1:09pm On Jun 05
U went and got nigeriab used and dead honda,na today. Sell the scrap and get a smaller car.u no gree
fineboynl:
Yes you heard me right. Most filing stations are selling expired fuel. And it's one of the reasons it burns very fast.

The shelf life of gasoline is just 30days, after that it will start going bad.

gasoline do expires just after 30days but majority of Nigeria do not know. And in most cause the fuel already expired before they even enter the country not to talk of the time it spends on some filling stations.

Yes. Old gas turns to gum and varnish very quickly. It actually does this in a molecular way. Most of the gum and varnish particles are very small and usually cannot be seen by the naked eye in a newly fresh gasoline. But after some days these particles will first start to stick to each other to create larger particles which can be clearly seen with the eye and get bigger each passing day. Then they begin sticking to the fuel injectors or carburetor and causing the engine to not get the correct amount of fuel it need. In addition.

Old fuel can also cause other problems such as clogging, corrosion and gumming. As the fuel ages , it can form deposits and gummy substances that can block the fuel system and reduce the fuel quality and flow. Old fuel can also also attract water and dirt that can rust the fuel tank and engine. Rust can weaken the metal parts and cause leaks and cracks that can affect the safety and function of the car.

The time it takes for the fuel to go bad depends on the type and quality if the fuel, the storage conditions, and the usage frequency of the car, gasoline goes bad after about 30 days, while diesel lasts up to six months. But this can change depending on the temperature, humidity, air exposure, and additives. Some fuels have ethanol, which is a biofuel that can absorb water and separate from gasoline. Ethanol can also harm some rubber and plastic parts of the fuel system.
Re: Gasoline Do Expire But Nigerians Don't Even Know by baconline(m): 8:29am On Jun 06
Gasoline has a limited shelf life and can degrade over time, depending on various factors ¹ ² ³:
- Type of gasoline and its additives
- Storage conditions (temperature, exposure to air and moisture, light)
- Container quality and material

Generally, gasoline can last:
- 6 months to 1 year in a sealed container
- 3 months to 6 months in a vehicle's tank
- Up to 3 years with proper storage and fuel stabilizers

Signs of expired gasoline include:
- Discoloration or darkening
- Sediment or debris
- Foul odor
- Poor engine performance

Proper storage practices, such as keeping gasoline in a cool, dry place, away from heat sources and light, and using fuel stabilizers, can help extend its shelf life.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Urgently Needed To Be Sold: Neatly Used Sienna 2001 (SOLD) / Issue With Your Car? / How To Know Bad Car Starter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.