Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,828 members, 7,902,640 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 July 2024 at 01:40 PM

. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / . (1160 Views)

Multi-Links: Did You Make Calls With This Phone? (SEE PHOTO) / We Should All Be Making Whatsapp Calls Instead Of Regular Phone Calls / 7.5% VAT On Phone CALLS, SMS - FIRS Incharge - Pantami (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Sirmwill: 11:03am On Jun 20

4 Likes

Re: . by MhisterJay(m): 11:11am On Jun 20
Her name was "Margaret Hello"...

Or he said "Margaret, Hello!" or something like that... ??

1 Like

Re: . by ElevationD: 1:04pm On Jun 20
Thank you for the information.
That’s great!

2 Likes

Re: . by Dzzzz: 2:52pm On Jun 20
MhisterJay:
Her name was "Margaret Hello"...

Or he said "Margaret, Hello!" or something like that... ??
.You’re wrong ,it’s Margaret Hello
Re: . by MhisterJay(m): 3:18pm On Jun 20
Dzzzz:
.You’re wrong ,it’s Margaret Hello

I was asking a question sir/madam.
Re: . by GeorgeWilliams(m): 3:38pm On Jun 20
No, that is not true. The inventor of the telephone, Alexander Graham Bell, did not use "hello" to test phones because his fiancée's name was Hello.

The story behind the use of "hello" as a greeting when answering the telephone is a bit different:

In the early days of the telephone, there was no standard greeting used when answering. Alexander Graham Bell originally suggested using the word "ahoy" to answer the phone. However, the American Thomas Edison preferred the word "hello", which eventually became the more common greeting.

The reason Edison favored "hello" was not because of any personal connection to the name. Rather, "hello" was a common greeting at the time, and Edison felt it worked well for answering the phone. The connection to Bell's fiancée's name is just an unfounded urban legend.

So in summary, the use of "hello" when answering the telephone evolved naturally during the development of the technology, and was not specifically tied to Alexander Graham Bell's personal life. The claim that it was because of his fiancée's name is inaccurate.

8 Likes

Re: . by GeorgeWilliams(m): 3:40pm On Jun 20
Alexander Graham Bell's fiancée was Mabel Gardiner Hubbard. They were married on July 11, 1877. Mabel was a significant influence in Bell's life and work, and she played an essential role in supporting his endeavors, including his invention of the telephone.

2 Likes

Re: . by ranjitreddy: 4:58pm On Jun 20
The use of "hello" when answering the phone is a result of historical preferences, influential figures like Thomas Edison, and the need for a simple, effective way to start a conversation. Its adoption and standardization have made it an integral part of our communication practices, illustrating how a small word can have a significant impact on our daily interactions, there are many stories behind it but its always what we believe is true makes impact. Even though we have so many technological advancements like internet ,search engines, AI its always a phone call which brings a personal touch.
Ever wondered why we use "Hi" while texting?
Re: . by ManirBK: 5:01pm On Jun 20
Hello nlfpmod
Re: . by sholikay(m): 6:16pm On Jun 20
Hmmmm....okay...okay....ooooooooookayyyyyy....

What about Hi?.. that one go be Chinese invention..😀😀
Re: . by brain54(m): 6:49pm On Jun 20
Sirmwill:
"When we answer the phone, we typically say 'Hello.' But what is Hello?

It may surprise many to learn that 'Hello' is not just a greeting, it's rather the name of a specific person. 'Hello' was in fact the name of Alexander Graham Bell's fiancée, Margaret Hello.

Bell, the inventor of the telephone, used 'Hello' as the first word during the initial test of his invention. This simple utterance quickly became the standard opening for phone calls worldwide, enduring as the greeting we use to this day when picking up the phone."

Graham's fiancee...

Who he later got married to was actually a deaf woman named Mabel Gardiner Hubbard.

He was working on the telephone to help her communicate better.

I am not sure that worked out so well for them - communicating better!
Re: . by Premiumbuy(m): 7:14pm On Jun 20
Premium Be Unto You
If "Hello" was someone's name then whose name is "Hi"?
Re: . by princeemmma(m): 7:43pm On Jun 20
wahala

in this thread now, there 3 different stories, which one are we to believe now
Re: . by Bakrabas: 9:23pm On Jun 20
I use start my phone call with taslim if you're a Muslim but to non Muslim especially my tribal fellow I do say "booni"

To non Yoruba and non Muslim I greet such good morning
Re: . by Globad(f): 9:32pm On Jun 20
princeemmma:
wahala

in this thread now, there 3 different stories, which one are we to believe now

Believe all
Disbelieve all
Follow this advice
Re: . by Rexymania(m): 10:03pm On Jun 20
That's why Muslims will say Salam alaikum
Re: . by Silentgroper(m): 10:27pm On Jun 20
Premiumbuy:
Premium Be Unto You

If "Hello" was someone's name then whose name is "Hi"?
do you say hi as the first word during a call
Re: . by TheSourcerer: 4:06am On Jun 21
I don't think this is accurate, maybe romantized that way

1 Like

Re: . by Maj196(m): 5:48am On Jun 21
Hello is an alteration of the Spanish word 'holla'
Re: . by JbravoAdodger(m): 7:55am On Jun 21
Imma start using ahoy hoy

Re: . by Lanretoye(m): 9:19am On Jun 21
Which kind of useless misinformation is this one?,
Alexander graham bells girlfriend and wife’s name was Mabel hubbard.
The word “HELLO” originated from the word “HOLA” which is a call for attention.
Pls don’t just do copy and paste of everything you come across,your children too might be reading

(1) (Reply)

Samsung S2 Gt-19100 Problem / How To Subscribe To A Blackberry Messenger (BBM) Channel / How Do I Stop Hackers From Hacking My Google Accounts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.