Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,468 members, 7,961,455 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 05:46 AM

Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? (256 Views)

Can I Still Graduate With A First Class With This My 100level Cgpa? / Identical Twins: Adegoke Taiye & Kehinde Graduate With First Class From UNIBADAN / Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by Anonymous2231: 7:03pm On Jul 04
Good day, everyone.
I just saw my 300lv 1st semester result and my current cgpa is 4.1. I’m currently doing my IT and my course is a 4-year course.
Do you think I can still break above 4.5?
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by Finegirl734(f): 7:10pm On Jul 04
Anonymous2231:
Good day, everyone.
I just saw my 300lv 1st semester result and my current cgpa is 4.1. I’m currently doing my IT and my course is a 4-year course.
Yes, definitely. It is possible to raise your CGPA above 4.5, but it will require consistent high performance in your remaining semesters
Could you let me know the total number of units required for your course and how many units you have completed so far?
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by LordIsaac(m): 7:30pm On Jul 04
I know someone who had all A’s in 4th year and finished with 2:1. She was on 4.1 in year 3. I can’t say if your course can help.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by advanceDNA: 8:02pm On Jul 04
Finegirl734:

Yes, definitely. It is possible to raise your CGPA above 4.5, but it will require consistent high performance in your remaining semesters
Do u know how many units he has left ?? Or u just felt like encouraging him without premise
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by advanceDNA: 8:08pm On Jul 04
LordIsaac:
I know someone who had all A’s in 4th year and finished with 2:1. She was on 4.1 in year 3. I can’t say if your course can help.

It's the units and number of courses that will determine

If year 4 has a lot of high units courses,it might be possible if he gets A in all...

But if year 4 is full of 2 or 1unit course ...it might not be enough to add an extra 0.4...
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by advanceDNA: 8:18pm On Jul 04
Anonymous2231:
Good day, everyone.

Do the calculation yourself.....

U know the course left and their units .....use A(5) to calculate ur estimated CGPA becos A has to be your target

If it doesnt add up to 4.5 ..go and borrow course with high Unit from another depart related to urs that u can pass well...as long as u don't exceed your total number of units per semester....
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by othermen: 8:44pm On Jul 04
If you’re not smart enough to figure this out by yourself, or smart enough to know which information to share which can help inform you, then you don’t deserve a 2.1 !
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by captainbangz: 9:29pm On Jul 04
five previous semesters cgpa = 4.1

desired final cgpa =>4.5

if your school carries your IT result over to 400l first semester,

let x be the cgpa you'll need to achieve that(4.5).

then ((4.1*5)+(x*2))/7 = 4.5.
=> 20.5 + 2x = 31.5
=> 2x = 31.5 - 20.5
=> 2x = 11
=> x = 5.5.
This means you'll need a CGPA of 5.5 in the remaining 2 semesters to be able to graduate with 4.5 overall CGPA. which is not possible because your grade is capped at 5.0.
Making a 5.0 in the remaining semesters can get you 4.35 highest.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by captainbangz: 9:44pm On Jul 04
advanceDNA:

Do the calculation yourself.....

U know the course left and their units .....use A(5) to calculate ur estimated CGPA becos A has to be your target

If it doesnt add up to 4.5 ..go and borrow course with high Unit from another depart related to urs that u can pass well...as long as u don't exceed your total number of units per semester....

the bolded is funny. Nothing can make that happen, even if he registers 200 more course, a semester's gpa does not exceed 5.0, hence not possible.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by advanceDNA: 10:14pm On Jul 04
captainbangz:
the bolded is funny. Nothing can make that happen, even if he registers 200 more course, a semester's gpa does not exceed 5.0, hence not possible.

...instead make u say u no understand....u jump on my mentions dey expose urself....where in .y comment did i say his GP would exceed 5.0....

U think 2 unit courses and 4 unit courses have the same effect..... Guy I nor get time argue with you
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by captainbangz: 6:41am On Jul 05
advanceDNA:

...instead make u say u no understand....u jump on my mentions dey expose urself....where in .y comment did i say his GP would exceed 5.0....

U think 2 unit courses and 4 unit courses have the same effect..... Guy I nor get time argue with you

ok, I no understand. Tell me how increasing the units of the courses he offers is going to increase his CGPA.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by advanceDNA: 7:51am On Jul 05
captainbangz:
ok, I no understand. Tell me how increasing the units of the courses he offers is going to increase his CGPA.

Sigh!! the effect of getting A in a 4 unit course is 20 while the effect of A on a 2 unit course is 10.....u should have gotten my point without any further explanation naaa....

Let's assume his total points from 100 level to 300level is 205 and total course unit he has done is 50, which g@ave him the 4.1 i.e 205/50

Let's paint two students scenarios in the final year(first semester) of 7 course with 2 units each...

1) An A(5) in all 7 course will give this student a total points of 5x2units x 7 courses=70 points
GPA for this semester = 70÷(2x7)= 5.0

Therefore CPGA= ( 205+70 ) ÷ (50+14)= 4.29

2) this student decided to borrow 3 extra courses from another department that carries 4 units each to add to the 7 courses above....
Making total unit course= (7x2) + (4x3)= 26 total units in the semester

So assuming he gets A (5) in all 10 courses.....
This student will also have (5x2 units x 7 courses + 5x4units x 3 extra courses)= 130 points
total of GPA of the semester will also 5.0 since it's all A grade
While CGPA = (205 + 130)÷ (26 + 50) = 4.40....

Which was why I said it depends on the units he has left and the units he can hustle
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by captainbangz: 8:04am On Jul 05
advanceDNA:

Sigh!! the effect of getting A in a 4 unit course is 20 while the effect of A on a 2 unit course is 10.....u should have gotten my point without any further explanation naaa....

Let's assume his total points from 100 level to 300level is 205 and total course unit he has done is 50, which g@ave him the 4.1 i.e 205/50

Let's paint two students scenarios in the final year(first semester) of 7 course with 2 units each...

1) An A(5) in all 7 course will give this student a total points of 5x2units x 7 courses=70 points
GPA for this semester = 70÷(2x7)= 5.0

Therefore CPGA= ( 205+70 ) ÷ (50+14)= 4.29

2) this student decided to borrow 3 extra courses from another department that carries 4 units each to add to the 7 courses above....
Making total unit course= (7x2) + (4x3)= 26 total units in the semester

So assuming he gets A (5) in all 10 courses.....
This student will also have (5x2 units x 7 courses + 5x4units x 3 extra courses)= 130 points
total of GPA of the semester will also 5.0 since it's all A grade
While CGPA = (205 + 130)÷ (26 + 50) = 4.40....

Which was why I said it depends on the units he has left and the units he can hustle

Right, but how can you borrow courses from other department?Never heard of that. All the courses you 'can' register are already on your portal, how are you going to bring in some more?
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by advanceDNA: 8:38am On Jul 05
captainbangz:
Right, but how can you borrow courses from other department?Never heard of that. All the courses you 'can' register are already on your portal, how are you going to bring in some more?

U can do extra course as long u the department u are borrowing from approves it through your course adviser...it will become updated on your profile... ....

Sometimes they don't approve if they feel it will be too much pressure,
Re: Can I Still Graduate With A First Class? by captainbangz: 9:08am On Jul 05
advanceDNA:

U can do extra course as long u the department u are borrowing from approves it through your course adviser...it will become updated on your profile... ....

Sometimes they don't approve if they feel it will be too much pressure,
ok

(1) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Set To Increase Tuition Fee By Over 300 Percent... / Buy Cheap 76GB On Mtn Now,call Wisdom On 08131692264 / (UNIPORT) Pre-degree/direct-entry & Post-utme Form 2015 Is On Sale: O8060586306

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.