Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,459 members, 7,961,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 03:05 AM

The Secret Of Success In The Teaching Industry. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Secret Of Success In The Teaching Industry. (161 Views)

A Plea For The Restoration Of The Teaching Of Esan Language In Schools In Esanla / Headmistress Of Success, Warri Schoolgirl Confirms Payment Of Her School Fees / Video Of Success, The Warri Schoolgirl Sent Away From School Over School Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Secret Of Success In The Teaching Industry. by perezski(m): 7:14pm On Jul 10
As we herald a new teaching transfer window, I will like to sensitise some upcoming teaching professionals in the house. Truely information is all the paraphernalia you need to beat Sapa and propell your teaching career into the right trajectory. I repeat, this is to those amongst us who still don't know how massively lucrative the teaching job could be. Oya let's go there.....
1. If you are a starter in the industry(fresh grad, less then 2yrs in the field etc), please find any school within your proximity or targeted location/city/state where they run the Cambridge Exams/curriculum e.g CAIE, Pearson Edexcel etc please note that emphasis are on the exams. These schools, at your starter level, must not be a registered Cambridge School(where Cambridge exams are written), Non-registered Cambridge schools still write Cambridge exams via British Councils or partner with other registered schools. The nitty-gritty here for you as a teacher is to build that subject-curriculum experience that will pave way for greater opportunities ahead.
2. If you find yourself in a hybrid school, Our infamous British or Cambridge/Nigerian Curricular schools, please place your priorities on mastering the Cambridge Subjects within your professional purview.
3. Go for CPDs and PDQs but these should be secondary as compared to finding a school that runs the exams because no amount of money you pay for these qualifications will best equip you with the mastery of subjects than the on going experience you gather from teaching these Cambridge subjects.
4. If you are in the Humanities(cus I am) please drop your Nigerian subject-knowledge mentality behind. In fact discard it completely, I mean subjects like commerce, Government, Social Studies,CRK, Civic Education they will never earn you money. Replace your hold of these subjects with Business Studies, History, Global perspectives,Sociology, Religious studies and to mention a few other Cambridge subjects. Remember these are the subjects in Humanities, Champions-league schools will demand for when you have equipped yourself with a couple of years of experience in these facet.
5. Do not despise your humble beginning, especially when you are learning how to teach these subjects. Most of these small schools that run these Cambridge exams might offer you peanut at these stage but look after the bigger picture, you are building an immense intellectual capital and profile for yourself. Give it 3-4 years after u have produced 2 to 3 IGCSE sets then your confidence level for those Champs league schools will be astronomical. I remember recently a close colleague refusing a 650k basic salary offer from one of the Champs League schools in Lagos after 3weeks he received another offer of 750k offer which he finally considered. Trust me guys, we all started our journey similarly. No Nigerian University or college of Education will teach you how to become a successful Cambridge teacher.
6. My last bullet.....There is no Nigerian-EXAM school that can pay you up to 500k basic salary as a subject teacher. Compare the school fees and cost of writing exams between Nigerian-exam schools and Cambridge-exams schools in Nigeria. The answer is glaring and even visible to the blind. Use your head young shall grow and remember time and tides wait for no man. We are now in the era where informed teachers are making it big-time, challenging the pathetic stereotypes that our rewards are in heaven. Wake up and join the bandwagon.

NB: Champions League schools are fully inclined Cambridge Schools in Nigeria where tuition for a session begins from 9million naira and above. Schools like BIS Lagos, Daywaterman, Charterhouse Lagos, Regent, Riverbank, Grange etc.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Of Success In The Teaching Industry. by dacillin: 9:45pm On Jul 10
Most of those schools are base in island.
Re: The Secret Of Success In The Teaching Industry. by perezski(m): 6:08am On Jul 11
dacillin:
Most of those schools are base in island.

Yes in Lagos most are on the Island. However, Cambridge schools are becoming common on the mainland Lagos too...look around Ikeja, Maryland, Festac/Satellite town, Surulere etc. Remember one important factor that precipitates Cambridge Schools, is the cost of the exams. Hence, the main reason why you find the notable ones in a highbrow area. You can't expect a school with a tuition of 9million naira a session to be situated in Ajangbadi....Another thing, take a que away from Lagos, Cambridge schools are also scattered around big cities in Nigeria. Port, Abuja etc. The idea is to go where the money is because the money will never come to you unless you take these giant steps. I remembered when I left youth service, having known that I was heading into teaching, I had to leave my family house on the mainland and went sqautting with my married sister on the island because of the prospect of finding a better paying teaching job. Today, I bless God for that singular decision.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

ESUT Post Utme/direct Entry Screening For 2024/2025 / Courses Available For International Students In Canada / EARN MONEY Providing Services To Students of National Open University Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.