Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,459 members, 7,961,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 03:05 AM

NÀÌJÁ POETRY 87: Outsider - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NÀÌJÁ POETRY 87: Outsider (85 Views)

NÀÌJÁ THROWBACK: The Asaba – Onitsha Crossing, 1959 & Now / NÀÌJÁ POETRY 63: Who Buys My Thoughts / NÀÌJÁ POETRY 45: Kwarapshen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NÀÌJÁ POETRY 87: Outsider by NaijaphiliaBlog: 11:43pm On Jul 10
OUTSIDER

Between the oyster-beach and the greens…
Sea and barren coast.
Between tresses of dark silver and reels of danger…
lonesome bird of the wilds!
I spat on the world from between my gums,
Shouted at the moon from between my lungs,
Hooted at the chirrupy mermaid of the dusk…
clever lad of goddam tribe!
Then came the winds, flushing hearts,
The rains came, drenching all their mirth,
Came thunder scattering all irrelevance..
happy child of the new testament!
There were tears, then, when I was born,
There were aches, too, when I was born
Tears to drop, and hearts to ache,
No brains to pry, no minds to try
Where, when I was born.
So take, take me away!
Send, send me away!
Let the gold I loved which never was
Delude its glory-minded prodigy.
Send, O send me away!

AUTHOR: Michael Joseph Chukwudalu Echeruo, born in Umunumo Town of Ehime-Mbano LGA in Imo State of Nigeria, West Africa, on Sunday
14 March 1937.

SOURCE: https://naijaphilia.com/blog/2024/07/10/naija-poetry-87-outsider/

Re: NÀÌJÁ POETRY 87: Outsider by NaijaphiliaBlog: 11:44pm On Jul 10
Michael Echeruo is a Nigerian academic, professor and literary critic.

He was educated at the University College, Ibadan (now the University of Ibadan) from 1955 to 1960 and was contemporaries with a few notable writers and poets from the college, such as Christopher Okigbo. He earned his Master’s and PhD degrees from Cornell University, Ithaca, New York in 1963 and 1965 respectively. There he was a member of the Telluride House.

He is currently William Safire Professor of Modern Letters in the English Department of Syracuse University, New York, USA. He also serves as a member of the Modern Language Association of America (MLA) Committee of the New variourum Shakespeare.

He is best known in poetry for his collection of poems, Mortality (1968); in cultural history for his pioneering study of Victorian Lagos and in lexicography for his Dictionary of the Igbo Language (Yale 1998).

SOURCE: https://naijaphilia.com/blog/2024/07/10/naija-poetry-87-outsider/

(1) (Reply)

LAGOS State College Of Nursing And Midwifery Igando 2024/25 Post-utme Nursing Fo / Limited DVA-C02 Dumps [2024] With Tested DVA-C02 Exam Questions / Unilag Past Questions Msc Geography(all Options Under Geography) 2024/2025 Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.