Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,237 members, 7,936,804 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 12:10 AM

Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar (8338 Views)

EFCC Arrests Nine For Internet Fraud In Abuja / Rivers Court Sentences Six To Death By Hanging Over Murder / EFCC Arrests And Arraigns Akpaikpe Etim For Internet Fraud (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by NaijaCover(m): 8:04am On Jul 13
The Federal High Court, Calabar, Cross River State on Friday sentenced six internet fraudsters to six months in prison for criminal impersonation, love scam and identity theft.

The Convicts were charged to court by the Uyo Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC, on two separate charges, to which they pleaded guilty.

In a statement by the EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, said the convicts are Chibo Udoka (aka Zxoya Andric, Kelly Rose, Chimata Harry), John Inimfon Okpokpo ( Grace Boar), Emediong Ekerete Bassey (aka Thiwe Ploka), Otu Ginikachi Samuel (alias Chris Hemsworth), Goodluck John Bassey (aka Tom Jones) and Asogwa Ifebuche Lukas (alias Daniela Crystal)

The Statement explained that the judge, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu ruled, ”That you, Otu Ginikachi Samuel (aka Chris Hemsworth) sometime in 2024 in Nigeria within the jurisdiction of this Honorable court fraudulently presented yourself as Chris Hemsworth (a United States of American Citizen) to Tymoshenko Anatoly Grihorovych (Ukrainian Citizen) on Facebook with fraudulent intent, gained advantage of the sum of N1, 000, 000 (One Million Naira) for yourself from the said Tymoshenko Anatoly Grihorovych and thereby committed the offence of identity theft contrary to Section 22 (2) (b) (0) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention) (Amendment) Act 2024 and punishable under 22 (b) (iv) of the same Act.

“‘That you Chibo Udoka Mgborogwu (aka Zoya Andric, Kelly Rose Chimata Harry), sometime in 2024 in Nigeria within the jurisdiction of this Honorable court with intent to obtain property and gain advantage for yourself, fraudulently presented yourself as ZOYA ANDRIC, KELLY ROSE CHIMATA HARRY on Social Media platform (Whatsapp, Instagram) and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 22 (2) (b)0) of the Cyber Crime (Prohibition, Prevention Etc) Amendment Act 2024 and punishable under Section 22(b) (iv) of the same Act”.

The statement added, ” The defendants pleaded guilty to the charges when they were read to them and based on their pleas, prosecution counsel, Khamis Mahmud prayed the court to convict and sentence them accordingly, but the defence counsels Udeme Tom, Innocent Ekeize and Henry Effiong prayed the court for lighter sentences for the defendants, on the ground that they were first-time offenders.

“After listening to both the prosecution and defence counsel, Justice Ojukwu, convicted and sentenced Emediong Bassey, Otu Samuel, Asogwa Lucas and John Okpokpo to six months imprisonment on each of the two count charges. The sentences are to run concurrently, while Goodluck Bassey and Chibo Mgborogwu were sentenced to a month jail term each on one count. The convicts were all given the option to pay a fine of Five Hundred Thousand Naira only (N500,000) each.

“Four of the convicts were ordered to restitute the following sums: Emediong Bassey One Thousand Five Hundred Rands (R1500); Otu Samuel One Million Naira (N1, 000, 000.00); John Okpokpo One Hundred and Fifty United States Dollars ($150 US) and Asogwa Lucas One Hundred United States Dollars ($100 US). The six convicts forfeited all gadgets used in committing the crimes to the Federal Government.

“The Convicts were arrested in Uyo between May and June 2024, following verified intelligence regarding their criminal activities on the internet.”

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2024/07/12/court-sentences-six-for-internet-fraud-in-calabar/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by NaijaCover(m): 8:05am On Jul 13
Why Doing Yahoo Yahoo, Start Legit HUSTLE.

2 Likes

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by AbisolaOba: 8:21am On Jul 13
Hmmm
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by lordparcel: 8:22am On Jul 13
grin
Goyim
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by Lalami3232(m): 8:23am On Jul 13
Rather than doing yahoo (Internet fraud), why not learn programming or any other skill?
Once again, kudos to the law enforcement agencies for doing a job well done.
What do I even know sef aside enlightening my fellow men nationwide with the good news

Oga if you no meet your wife as a virgin, oga go for DNA test oooooo because boreholes a.k.a non-virgins can't be trusted

2 Likes

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by NaijaCover(m): 8:23am On Jul 13
AbisolaOba:
Hmmm

Why hmmmmm

We Will Continue To Expose All The Terrible Bad News, That Happened In And Outside Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by Padipadi: 8:23am On Jul 13
Will the money get back to the victims?
post=130932482:
Like starting bad news like you abi or doing apesobey?

1 Like

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by Vyreell(m): 8:24am On Jul 13
lipsrsealed
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by PlasmaTV: 8:24am On Jul 13
Very good. They should prosecute our politicians too.

2 Likes

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by NaijaCover(m): 8:24am On Jul 13
Padipadi:
Will the money get back to the victims?

Like staring bad news like you abi or doing apesobey?

BAD NEWS, Pays Very Fast, My Dear Brother.....
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by jericco1(m): 8:25am On Jul 13
Wonderful
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by EmmyMaestro(m): 8:26am On Jul 13
post=130932482:

Like covering bad news abi ?

grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by NaijaCover(m): 8:28am On Jul 13
EmmyMaestro:

Don't Forget, Na For This Bad News Publication, Mr Blogger, Dey See Him Own Food Take Chop.
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by Houseofglam7(f): 8:29am On Jul 13
Chris Hemsworth 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

3 Likes

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by Padipadi: 8:30am On Jul 13
post=130932737:

BAD NEWS, Pays Very Fast, My Dear Brother.....
If I give you backhand, you ll v headache till at least next weekend.
Ya head like N1500 melon!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by Dottore: 8:30am On Jul 13
Ok
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by TechBaron: 8:30am On Jul 13
These boys..

How do you defraud someone of $150 abeg?

2 Likes

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by MaxBee2050(m): 8:31am On Jul 13
Crime doesn't end well. Be legit in all u do.
I pray God touches the heart of someone to help me with a thousand naira Pls.
Eight-one-three-one-fifty-fifty-seven-five

OPAY
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by AbisolaOba: 8:33am On Jul 13
??

post=130932718:

Why hmmmmm

We Will Continue To Expose All The Terrible Bad News, That Happened In And Outside Nigeria.
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by Padipadi: 8:35am On Jul 13
MaxBee2050:
Crime doesn't end well. Be legit in all u do.
I pray God touches the heart of someone to help me with a thousand naira Pls.

OPAY
What you wrote id blurry. We nor see am.

MaxBee2050:

OPAY.
Ebi nii pa monamona ku!
Hunger is ya logo!
If I m merciful, I ll send you N100.

EmmyMaestro:

His profession is enviable. Bad news carrier 1 of Nigeria. Smh!
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by Yankee101: 8:36am On Jul 13
Stealing is stealing
If you like call it 419, corruption, yahoo etc
It’s stealing
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by mrvitalis(m): 8:39am On Jul 13
The mean reason most of this guys plead guilty is because they don't want to go to prison between when their bail applications would be heard and when bail. Is given

The judiciary is so corrupt they work with EFCC that can range from 2 months to 2 years

Can't wait to set up my vigilantee focused on exposing corrupt judges and magistrates

1 Like

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by NaijaCover(m): 8:41am On Jul 13
Brandeer:
legal hustle with illegal money? cheesy

Explain Better To MR BLOGGER
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by MaxBee2050(m): 8:44am On Jul 13
Padipadi:

What you wrote us blurry. We nor see am.

His profession is enviable. Bad news carrier 1 of Nigeria. Smh!

OPAY.
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by Akpabio22(m): 8:45am On Jul 13
Lalami3232:
Rather than doing yahoo (Internet fraud), why not learn programming or any other skill?
Once again, kudos to the law enforcement agencies for doing a job well done.
What do I even know sef aside enlightening my fellow men nationwide with the good news

Oga if you no meet your wife as a virgin, oga go for DNA test oooooo because boreholes a.k.a non-virgins can't be trusted
shut up mumu ode undecided

3 Likes

Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by Busiic: 8:45am On Jul 13
MMM
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by IOXOI: 8:47am On Jul 13
post=130932471:

Source:

”That you, Otu Ginikachi Samuel (aka Chris Hemsworth) sometime in 2024 in Nigeria within the jurisdiction of this Honorable court fraudulently presented yourself as Chris Hemsworth (a United States of American Citizen)

Even court can't do findings
Re: Court Sentences Six For Internet Fraud In Calabar by 7demons: 8:56am On Jul 13
NCAN please avoid this area.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kidnapped Professor Yinka Adegbehingbe Regains Freedom / Woman In Court For Initiating 12 Year-old Girl Into Witchcraft / Police Inspector Arrested For Murder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.