Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,236 members, 7,936,798 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 11:55 PM

Argentina Vice President Defends Enzo Fernandez In Racism Row As Fifa Weigh In - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Argentina Vice President Defends Enzo Fernandez In Racism Row As Fifa Weigh In (90 Views)

Argentina Vice-president Defends Enzo Fernandez After Racism Row: I Support You / Golden Boy Award: Samuel Chukwueze Snubbed As FIFA Releases Nominees / Footballers To Boycott Social Media For 24 Hours on Friday In Racism Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Argentina Vice President Defends Enzo Fernandez In Racism Row As Fifa Weigh In by Almiron: 9:22am On Jul 19
Fifa is investigating a video circulating on social media that shows members of the Argentina national team singing about France’s players in a way that the French Football Federation (FFF) said was “racist and discriminatory”.

The FFF said on Monday it would file a complaint to the global soccer governing body over the video, in which Argentina players sing about France striker Kylian Mbappe’s African descent.

The video was posted by Argentina forward Enzo Fernandez on Instagram amid the team’s celebrations following a 1-0 victory over Colombia to win the Copa America.

Fifa is aware of a video circulating on social media and the incident is being looked into,” a Fifa spokesperson said in a statement. “Fifa strongly condemns any form of discrimination by anyone including players, fans and officials.”

Fernandez later apologised on social media, saying he had gotten “caught up in the euphoria of our celebrations.

The song included highly offensive language and there is absolutely no excuse for these words,” he wrote. Fernandez’s Chelsea club teammate Wesley Fofana earlier described the video as “uninhibited racism”.

Argentina’s Vice President Victoria Villarruel defended Fernandez and the team, however, saying she would not tolerate the actions of a “colonialist” country.

"No colonialist country is going to intimidate us for a song on the pitch or for telling the truths they don’t want to admit,” Villarruel posted on her account on X."

"Argentina is a sovereign and free country. We never had colonies or second-class citizens. We have never imposed our way of life on anyone"

But neither will we tolerate that they do it to us ... Enzo I support you, (Lionel) Messi, thanks for everything! Argentinians always hold your head up high.”

Later on Wednesday, the Office of Argentina President Javier Milei said the country’s undersecretary for sports, Julio Garro, had been removed from his position for suggesting that Argentina captain Messi apologise for the chants

The Office of the President informs that no government can tell what to comment, what to think or what to do to the Argentine National Team, World Champion and twice champion of America, or to any other citizen,” the presidential office wrote in a post on X.

For this reason, Julio Garro ceases to be Undersecretary of Sports of the nation.”

Independent

Nlfpmod mynd44 frontpage boss

Re: Argentina Vice President Defends Enzo Fernandez In Racism Row As Fifa Weigh In by Almiron: 9:23am On Jul 19
I don't understand why the undersecretary called out Leo. I'm glad he was fired. If Leo was on the bus, this wouldn't have happened.

I remember he cautioned DePaul back in 2021. He told them to be careful with the way they celebrated on their way home after the Copa triumph against Colombia.

I believe every adult is responsible for their actions. I understand y'all Penadogs want Leo to be on the bus so bad so you can tag him as a racist, but that's not going to happen.

FIFA is already investigating the matter. Whatever punishment everyone involved deserves, they will get.

Nlfpmod frontpage boss

1 Like

Re: Argentina Vice President Defends Enzo Fernandez In Racism Row As Fifa Weigh In by Mynd44: 9:55am On Jul 19

(1)

The Rivalry: Mourinho Vs Guardiola / August 1: EFCC, Police, Customs, Set For Showdown In Ogun For Valuejet/swan Secu / Transfer Rumors And Football Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.