Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,533 members, 7,961,689 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 11:26 AM

Life After Graduation: An Inspiring Post-graduation Journey Of Yollanda Chepkoec - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Life After Graduation: An Inspiring Post-graduation Journey Of Yollanda Chepkoec (118 Views)

The Reality Of Life After Graduation / Al-Ameen: Bayero University First Class Graduate Dies A Day After Graduation / 88-Year-Old Man Prepares For His Death, Dies A Day After Graduation (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Life After Graduation: An Inspiring Post-graduation Journey Of Yollanda Chepkoec by Ifutureconnect: 6:12pm On Jul 23
In this insightful and beautiful story, Yollanda Chepkoech shares her journey from completing her MSc at the University of Glasgow, funded by the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships, to overcoming the difficulties of going back to Kenya.

Her story highlights the realities of job hunting, the importance of personal connections, and the determination needed to adapt to life after studying abroad.

Originally posted by The Management Diary on LinkedIn, Yollanda's experiences offer valuable lessons for prospective scholars and recent graduates alike.

Last year at a time like this, I was at the University of Glasgow in the UK pursuing my MSc funded by Commonwealth Shared Scholarships. It was clear that I would be travelling back to my country immediately after studies.

My graduation was in December 2023!
I was elated to have completed my studies, but I also worried and felt lost. At some point, I wanted to pursue a PhD immediately after my master's. I even applied for one within that period, but I got a rejection. A part of me really needed a break after the intense one-year experience, so I came to terms with the decision and travelled back to Kenya.
Upon returning, I needed to find a job as soon as possible and made several applications but nothing came through.

The job market was harder than I anticipated.
We all know how finding a job in Kenya can sometimes feel like another unpaid full-time job. It took me 3 months to secure an internship with a research institution which has been an exciting and insightful experience so far.

While I may not be where I wish to be professionally, moving back home is the best decision I made. Being abroad for a year showed me how valuable being close to people you love can be, family and friends. I am beginning to appreciate this connection even more every single day!

Apart from dealing with personal battles, settling again came with its own challenges. Questions kept popping up whenever I showed up somewhere. For instance, "why did you come back?" "When are you going back?" I still get some of these questions to this day. At first, answering such questions bothered me, but with each passing day, I made peace with myself.

Dear prospective scholars winning a scholarship doesn't happen in a single day; it requires commitment, perseverance, and resilience. But also prepare for life after completion of your studies abroad. Adjusting can be challenging and stressful but this should not deter you from seizing an opportunity to study abroad.

SOURCE: [url=https://ifutureconnect.com/an-inspiring-post-graduation-journey-of-yollanda-chepkoech/][/url]

(1) (Reply)

Ebonyi State University Post Utme Update / Jupeb Past Questions University Of Ilorin (UNILORIN) 2024/2025 Past Questions / No Directive Yet On N70, 000 Minimum Wage For Corps Members - NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.