Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,450 members, 7,961,400 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 01:01 AM

Story - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Story (65 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Story by Loner001(f): 9:41pm On Jul 27
There is this neighbor of mine who will never ask you for anything no matter how hungry he is. He borrows nothing and lives a very quiet life.
If you give to him, he will reject it. If you force him to collect it, it begins to look like you are trying to poison him or something suspicious is going on. That is how I feel sha. Not like it's what is going through his mind.
But he is a very friendly man.
I stopped seeing him when I moved out of the house.
During this period I returned to the family house and discovered he was still living in my compound. He had not parked yet. Same room. Same lifestyle. Always quiet and to himself.
I asked my dad what happened and why he had lost so much weight compared to the last time I had seen him. My dad told me the young man had lost his job and fallen ill. Though his rent has already expired, he allowed him to stay and hasn't asked him for rent for 5 months now because he knows his condition.
I felt pity for him.
I cooked yesterday. A very delicious meal and I felt I should give it a try again and share it with this neighbor of mine. I knew he would reject it if I gave him his separately. So I dished it in one plate, carried two drinks, and went to knock on his door.
When he opened and saw me.
I smiled.
"Uncle, I want to eat in your room."
He peeped outside. From left to right and looked at me.
"What happened to yours."
"Nothinb na. I just want to catch up na. E don tey."
He smiled and allowed me to come in.
His room was just there.
It looked like there was no sign of foodstuff in the room.
I asked him if he had a spoon and he said yes.
He gave me one.
Then I summoned courage and said to him.
"Uncle, I know you don't eat out. But today is a season of love. I want to share this food with you. That was why I brought it to your room. Biko don't say no."
He laughed.
"I expected it. I said it that this one was a setup."
He took an extra spoon.
I was happy.
I drew the food nearer to him.
He waited for me to take the first spoon of rice, then he began to eat with me. From the way he ate, I could tell he was hungry and loved the food.
So I asked him.
"How come you don't collect anything from anyone? No friends visit you. I don't see you eating out. Even when you cook you cook in here and eat in here."
He looked at me.
"You are right and very observant. My family was poisoned on Christmas day. All of us. 7 of us. They ate from the same bowl and died."
"And you survived."
"I was a baby then, waiting to suck from the tender breast of my mother. When I was told the story, of how my family died, I lost trust for humans. And I realized that the easiest way to end a man's life is through his stomach."
He took another scoop of the rice and drank water.
Then he said to me.
"In over 40 years of my life, you are the first person whose food I am eating. And it is because I am very hungry. And I know you won't try to harm me. You are good guy. But even if you will, this hunger might as well k**ll me and I will be gone anyway. So let me eat."
He laughed.
And continued eating.
Most people whose behavior we see as strange are simply brought about as a result of life lessons and bad experiences they've faced in the past. They get hurt once and guard themselves jealously.

(1) (Reply)

Is Canada The Right Choice For Your Master's Program? / Full Tutorials On English Spellings. / For Proprietor/proprietress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.