Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,978 members, 7,960,099 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 12:59 PM

Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs (56310 Views)

Nigerian Man Shows Impressive Transformation Years After He Relocated Abroad / Nigerian Man Shows Off How Much He Has Changed Five Months After Leaving Nigeria / Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Newlymarried(f): 8:05pm On Aug 15
A US-based Nigerian man has disclosed how tough it is finding accommodation in the United States of America.

He revealed that many years ago, he had to pay $80 to sleep in a "pod-like box" for 8 hours per day.

He added that the money only covers 8 hours after which the occupant must leave so that someone else who paid can occupy the box.

For the rest of the day, the person remains homeless.

He shared photos of the sleeping boxes, several of which were built into a room and closed with wooden doors.

Each box is a tiny space built that can contain just a small mattress and nothing else. The box has no fan or any of the appliances needed for a good night's sleep.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Sonnobax15(m): 8:07pm On Aug 15
lipsrsealed
Na wa oh......

To think that some people will sell their properties that's worth millions of naira in Nigeria only to japa and go and be living like slaves in another man's country is the last wonder on this earth 🙄

But then again,that box is equivalent to a Nigerian mansion tho lipsrsealed

201 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by oluwatomiwa(m): 8:13pm On Aug 15
Oga ooo
One of the hidden facts for the people japaing

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by OgaTheTop2: 8:21pm On Aug 15
New York is very expensive. I slept in a hotel room that could hardly fit my height for about $150 a night. Omo I japa danu the next day.. cheesy

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Cousin9999: 8:49pm On Aug 15
Asians are responsible for this grossness.

This is not an American thing or common, and may not even be a legal establishment. You're not going to find places like this except where there's Asians.

Immigrants who don't have much typically rent a room (a normal room in someone's house or apartment) that generally looks like this (or much nicer):

101 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Cousin9999: 9:03pm On Aug 15
Also, the further you get from large cities, the cheaper it tends (or used) to be. So some immigrants even without much money can rent a whole house with a yard like this:

https://www.realtor.com/rentals/details/917-Somerset-St_Monessen_PA_15062_M44170-66724
https://www.realtor.com/rentals/details/305-12-E-Lutton-St_New-Castle_PA_16101_M96418-98046

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by dollynnn(f): 9:08pm On Aug 15
Damn!

2 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by CodeTemplar: 9:14pm On Aug 15
For 80 dollars I will head to wood and furniture market, arrange a carpenter, get enough plywood, bucket to easy myself, mattress bed sheet pillow and more. I will still have change left.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by UncleKoboko: 10:01pm On Aug 15
Na you get money to waste na.

When I had a thing or two to do in New York few years ago, I just entered Walmart and bought a nice and comfortable tent. Spread it tax-free around 5th avenue and enjoyed myself.

97 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by koxyz: 10:02pm On Aug 15
No place like home, if you must travel always be calculative about it. Don't extend your suffering, all in the name of "jappa".

64 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by oluseyiforjesus(m): 10:02pm On Aug 15
Some of dos expensive house belongs to Nigerian politicians

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by cococandy(f): 10:03pm On Aug 15
There are dirt cheap hotels that cost that much per day as at now. Much less many years ago. Meaning he could have gotten hotels for that price or less for 24 hours since this supposedly happened years ago.

Na him wan stay New York. In fact even in New York he could have gotten hotels at that price for 24 hours instead of 8 hours and stay the whole day. plus some will serve you breakfast.

Pls shut up abeg.

92 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Kobojunkieee: 10:03pm On Aug 15
Newlymarried:
I think that idea is from places like Japan and parts of Europe. Not bad at all! undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by SFSNIPER(m): 10:03pm On Aug 15
There's money to be made

3 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Kobojunkieee: 10:03pm On Aug 15
cococandy:
There are dirt cheap hotels that cost that much per day as at now. Much less many years ago. Meaning he could have gotten hotels for that price for 24 hours. Na him wan stay New York. Pls shut up abeg
That is it right there! undecided

17 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Melagros(m): 10:04pm On Aug 15
COMRADES, Nigerians now need food to eat not sleeping devices

One cannot sleep while hungry

16 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by kheny12(m): 10:04pm On Aug 15
He's a content creator currently based in Canada. He said lives in the US isn't easier the first time he visit there, After sleeping inside that small box called house,He slept on the street for some days. If not for African bad governance, No place like home.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Offpoint1: 10:05pm On Aug 15
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by 4tomandchi: 10:05pm On Aug 15
Awon Japa gang take note

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by airsaylongcome: 10:05pm On Aug 15
CodeTemplar:
For 80 dollars I will head to wood and furniture market, arrange a carpenter, get enough plywood, bucket to easy myself, mattress bed sheet pillow and more. I will still have change left.

Which person domot you wan dey keep dem during day time tongue

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by SlavaUkraini: 10:05pm On Aug 15
Sleeping box is more like a Coffin ⚰️⚰️⚰️ for the living .

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Kobojunkieee: 10:05pm On Aug 15
Melagros:
COMRADES, Nigerians now need food to eat eat not sleeping devices
With 25 million homeless in Nigeria, lots of people in that Nigeria would thank you for something as clean as this to manage. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

15 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by tefishy(m): 10:06pm On Aug 15
This is more like leaving one hell to face another hell

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by ttmacoy: 10:06pm On Aug 15
All depends on where you are and your situation there. The average immigrant to the US is not living in a box room like that, and I'm sure you can find cheap motels rather than stay at a place like that unless you're trying to stay in Manhattan while being broke.

The second part of the equation is where is he now and what is his situation? If he is doing a lot better then the sacrifice was worth it abi?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Adakintroy: 10:06pm On Aug 15
Most people rush to America like the village man often rush to Lagos.

7 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by theophorus(m): 10:07pm On Aug 15
Hmmm!
May our Road to Greatness be easy.
Amen!

12 Likes

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by Rebuker(m): 10:07pm On Aug 15
Hm
Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by free2ryhme: 10:08pm On Aug 15
[quote author=Newlymarried post=131526442][/quote]
Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by SEGLIZ: 10:08pm On Aug 15
what?

Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Na wa oh......

To think that some people will sell their properties that's worth millions of naira in Nigeria only to japa and go and be living like slaves in another man's country is the last wonder on this earth 🙄

But then again, that box is equivalent to a Nigerian mansion ttho lipsrsealed
damn man ginni? thosee things (boxes) looks like mog cells in the mortuary.

1 Like

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by MrPOTUS: 10:09pm On Aug 15
undecided

Make una kusha call am coffin ⚰️

1 Like

Re: Us-based Nigerian Man Shows Sleeping 'box' Costing $80/8hrs by canalily(m): 10:09pm On Aug 15
CodeTemplar:
bro on whose Land Or you go think say you still de Africa?

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

₦250k Fare: Lagos To Anambra/Asaba Flight Almost Empty (Video) / See What This Nigerian Did At Lagos Airport After Being Deported From Libya / Prince Charles Drives Classic 49 Year Old Aston Martin That Runs On White Wine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.