Stats: 3,196,464 members, 7,961,429 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 04:10 AM

Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study (32605 Views)

Reason Why AA Genotype Are Prone To Malaria / Ensure Shisha Smokers Are Arrested, FG Tells Police / Thousands Of Smokers Celebrates Annual Holiday Of Marijuana In The U.S.(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by ogododo: 8:42am On Aug 17
New research suggests a strong link between long-term daily marijuana use and head and neck cancers.

A recent study analyzing millions of medical records found that individuals with cannabis use disorder—characterized by symptoms such as cravings, tolerance, and withdrawal—are three to five times more likely to develop these cancers compared to non-users.

Cannabis use disorder is diagnosed when a person exhibits two or more symptoms as defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, including intense cravings, reduced effects over time, excessive use, continued use despite negative consequences, and difficulty quitting.

According to Dr Niels Kokot, a professor of clinical otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, research shows that people who use cannabis, particularly those with a cannabis use disorder, are significantly more likely to develop head and neck cancers compared to those who do not use cannabis.

“While our study did not differentiate between methods of cannabis consumption, cannabis is most commonly consumed by smoking, The association we found likely pertains mainly to smoked cannabis.”

Some 69 percent of people with a diagnosis of oral or throat cancer will survive five years or longer after their diagnosis, according to the National Cancer Institute. If the cancer metastasizes, however, that rate drops to 14 percent. About 61 percent of people diagnosed with cancer of the larynx will be alive five years later – a rate that drops to 16 percent if the cancer spreads.

The study used insurance data to look at the association of cannabis use disorder with head and neck cancers, said Dr. Joseph Califano, the Iris and Matthew Strauss Chancellor’s Endowed Chair in Head and Neck Surgery at the University of California, San Diego. “The researchers used a huge, huge dataset, which is really extraordinary, and there is enormous power in looking at numbers this large when we typically only see small studies,” said Califano, also the director of University of Californ8a, San Diego’s Hanna and Mark Gleiberman Head and Neck Cancer Center.

“On average, people with cannabis use disorder smoke about a joint a day and do so for at least a couple years, if not longer,” said Califano, who coauthored an editorial published in JAMA Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery in conjunction with the new study.

However, he added, the study does not find an association between “the occasional recreational use of marijuana and head and neck cancer.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/08/marijuana-smokers-prone-to-head-neck-cancers-study/

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by psucc(m): 8:52am On Aug 17
All lies! Not now again! You can't deceive us with this the way you people did with COVID-19.

I have know so many who has taken the stuff for over 2 decades now and are still healthy and sound.

Anybody in doubt should come. I will take you to meet and interview them

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by EyeCumInPeace: 8:57am On Aug 17
Cigarette Smokers Are Liable to Die Young

If this did not stop cigarette smokers, is it this warning that will stop marijuana smokers?

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by illicit(m): 9:18am On Aug 17
Hmmmm...

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by Healthrelatedjo: 9:19am On Aug 17
Let's be honest with ourselves,smokers dey live long,the smokers I know in my street are well over 70 and are still active smokers

97 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by Sonnobax15(m): 9:23am On Aug 17
The way smokers take dey proud these days en, person like me wey no dey smoke come dey shame for my life again...Na wa .

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by SocialJustice: 10:05am On Aug 17
Thunder from Zimbabwe

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by Fisiryorh(m): 10:21am On Aug 17
Lies from za pit of hell... undecided

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by Boogyman557: 10:37am On Aug 17
Holly Gram cool I just de pass my own jeje b4 i see this post.

Abeg make pesin no make me vex oo !!

Make pesin no make me use annoyance LOAD BULLET for my OLD KALA.

U can say people dat smokes CIGARETTES but don’t add my beloved MARRY JANE ooo!!

Even Ciga self. Nothing still go happen!

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by ogododo: 1:09pm On Aug 17
Nlfpmod na ring road and Ramat Park pipu dem dey warn.

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by RepoMan007: 11:46am On Aug 18
Will they hear?
Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by kingimmade: 9:57am On Aug 19
really
Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by Negroid001(m): 9:57am On Aug 19
Everything don kuku cost.

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by kingthreat(m): 9:58am On Aug 19
And America legalized this.

60 Likes

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by atobs4real(m): 9:58am On Aug 19
Speaking for himself

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by CalabarPikin: 9:59am On Aug 19
Funny how alcoholics die faster than smokers but no one is talking about it.

Funny how alcoholics cause more havoc in our surroundings than smokers but everyone is mute.

Lemme take this last one today sha...maybe I'll consider to stop or never to

23 Likes

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by callmevirus(m): 10:00am On Aug 19
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

What are the 3 that happen to the mkpurummiri

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by virginboy1(m): 10:01am On Aug 19
Many dont really end well, as they as graduate to take more harder drugs especially colos...Then turn to walking zombies. undecided

Come to Lagos Island Obalende and see a large sample of them.

Even many ladies has joined the on colos thingy...

#SAY NO TO DRUGS

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by Skillsnigeria: 10:01am On Aug 19
Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by OceanEye: 10:02am On Aug 19
Lite Opioids are better recreational substances. Even better than alcohol but people and government have demonized them.

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by TUTU147: 10:03am On Aug 19
Marijuana is better than cigarettes, just don't abuse it.If you use fresh one from Abbi cook beans,you will know that marijuana is medicine.Boil rice and put fresh one on it,you will never buy drugs for constipation or multivitamin.

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by illuminutty: 10:03am On Aug 19
LIES LIES LIES

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by Akwamkpuruamu: 10:05am On Aug 19
Will these stop any smoker from smoking?

Just Dey Play

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by richiemcgold: 10:05am On Aug 19
The findings in this report are not substantive enough

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by tfkhntr: 10:05am On Aug 19
Many will still ignore this warnings until they reap d consequences

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by 6ixT8: 10:06am On Aug 19
When NDLE can do their job
They resort to media blackmail.

It's all part of the game grin

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by Adakintroy: 10:08am On Aug 19
Like you need research to tell you that's thing don't have vitamins and minerals or that's it not food supplement.

Ur head is all the science there is. Use it

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by Starboytwo(m): 10:10am On Aug 19
Nothing consine us with this report.

2k no fit buy derica of beans again.

Things will soon happen in this country.

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by STEWpid(f): 10:11am On Aug 19

C
h a i..

...and I know that some people are currently smoking with one hand while they hold their phone with the other hand, reading this post and comments.

HilariOus, isn't it??

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by mariovito(m): 10:12am On Aug 19
Akuko

Just some "research" funded by an anti-pot organization or person.

Re: Marijuana Smokers Prone To Head, Neck Cancers — Study by flyinnizam(m): 10:12am On Aug 19
you can't advice smokers to quit. even the package is has warning. liable to die young, lung cancer yet they don't care

Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers / BREAKING: Nigeria Successfully Blocks Ebola, Has One Case Left- minister / Can I Grow Taller At 22?