Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,655 members, 7,962,134 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 12:22 AM

Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? (656 Views)

Oil Theft: After The 'Action Film' From NNPC MD & His Crew, What's Next? / 127 Soldiers Resign From Nigerian Army / Boko Haram Displays Armed Personnel Carrier Captured From Nigerian Soldiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by UncleAyo: 3:46pm On Sep 28
Why is Netflix Nigeria blocking Nigerian film from Nigerian abroad?

People keep complaining as to why they cannot access their favorite Nigerian movies from outside Nigeria on Netflix.

Note: While I will never advocate for piracy, people will start looking for alternative (illegal) means outside Netflix to watch their favourite movies if something is not done about this.

1 Share

Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by UncleAyo: 4:03pm On Sep 28
Also here

Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by chatinent: 4:11pm On Sep 28
Netflix is region based...

And you can promote your movie to be aired globally...but it cost more than regionally.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by CodeTemplarr: 4:41pm On Sep 28
Maybe they haven't realized what they stand to lost in revenue. The buying power of Nigerians abroad is much higher comapred to local Nigerians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by Brendaniel: 4:48pm On Sep 28
The app is region based, even playstore is region based...

They earn more money like that and promote
most movies based on region...

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by Elliotwaveforec: 5:06pm On Sep 28
Omo, Nigerians plenty abroad , den sha wan watch the movie 'Lisabi, and Netflix isn't allowing them to do so.

But they were able to watch Jagunjagun outside Nigeria! Has Netflix changed their viewing policy or what?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by UncleAyo: 7:38pm On Sep 28
While I'll never ever advocate for movie piracy, but by the time people start to watch their favourite Netflix movies through alternative means, maybe by then, they will get serious and do something about it.
Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by papyjaypaul: 9:24pm On Sep 28
Brendaniel:
The app is region based, even playstore is region based...

They earn more money like that and promote
most movies based on region...

Instead of Nigerians to support their own, they will play second fiddle to foreigners and foreign apps. Wasn't there Iroko sometime ago

Nigerians don't understand the power of their money. Now, Netflix is showing you who get power. You decided to give them your property, now they are behaving like property managers. grin grin grin Ntoooo

This is how our elites are proud of buying houses abroad, sending kids abroad, buying fx abroad, spending dollars. We never think of fixing home. We expect outsiders to love us more. That's foolishness. Let us supooer what is ours, stop lapping up to foreign things.
Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by helinues: 9:26pm On Sep 28
grin

If they don't pay for featuring, the movies will be there but not close to up or suggested

All those top movies or music on Netflix are pushed stuffs

Let them place their ad to those locations on Netflix

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by Brendaniel: 9:33pm On Sep 28
papyjaypaul:

Instead of Nigerians to support their own, they will play second fiddle to foreigners and foreign apps. Wasn't there Iroko sometime ago

Nigerians don't understand the power of their money. Now, Netflix is showing you who get power. You decided to give them your property, now they are behaving like property managers. grin grin grin Ntoooo

This is how our elites are proud of buying houses abroad, sending kids abroad, buying fx abroad, spending dollars. We never think of fixing home. We expect outsiders to love us more. That's foolishness. Let us supooer what is ours, stop lapping up to foreign things.

Well, not all Nigerians though...
Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by Noneroone(m): 9:57pm On Sep 28
The reason movie makers prefer YouTube.
Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by papyjaypaul: 10:08pm On Sep 28
Brendaniel:

Well, not all Nigerians though...

Unfortunately, they are in the minority and that is sad
Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by papyjaypaul: 10:10pm On Sep 28
Noneroone:
The reason movie makers prefer YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUpXK_0NB6M
YouTube can also do the same. Can your YouTube video show in China That is one simple example of how tech is not free to do anyhow. Facebook stopped showing news in Canada because government asked them to pay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFqKQ7_E5q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjM7KajcHGg

Didn't Brazil just ban Twitter

In India, all Netflix movies must show the sign that smoking is dangerous to the health. In fact, they want to censor Netflix for showing nude scenes. So there is no freedom anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLpF6mcUdRU

If Nigerian government was serious they will make sure they protect our space and make our people win too but what do I know? Me I no sabi say foreign investors make government happy grin
Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by chopnaira: 10:13pm On Sep 28
Likely has to do more with copyright issues.

Re: Why Is Netflix Nigeria Blocking Nigerian Film From Nigerian Abroad? by RedboneSmith(m): 12:00pm On Sep 29
UncleAyo:
While I'll never ever advocate for movie piracy, but by the time people start to watch their favourite Netflix movies through alternative means, maybe by then, they will get serious and do something about it.

Not gonna lie. When I couldn't find it on Netflix, I had to to on telegram. But the quality was poor when I tried to watch it on my telly, so I deleted. Didn't finish it.

Not making it available internationally on Netflix is a bad business decision. The abroad market is not a small market.

(1) (Reply)

Funding For Smes. Way Forward. / How Well Do You Know Nigeria? / Shell In Nigeria: Both Sides State Their Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.