Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,446 members, 7,961,377 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 11:47 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (829474 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 10:23am On Apr 10, 2013
fiscalcliff: Morning thread contributors who spit insight by their replies,
1]What is the maximum amount per transaction from a British ATM [In Nigeria its 20-40k depending on the bank]?
What is the total daily transaction I can take from a British ATM [In Nigeria its 150k]?

2]Also how long can a return ticket stay valid for?
Most airline/travel agents websites grey off their calendars after about 6 months and I should be in the UK for about 16 months
Is it worth it, buying a return ticket or should I just settle for one way straight up?

Thanks for the replies

For the ATM question, you are only allowed one withdrawal a day with an international card not exceeding b/w 400 - 600 GBP daily. I use GTBank master card on sainsbury's ATM and take up to 600 GBP while on Lloyd's it is 400 max. Barclays has refused to pay my card even on POS, i cant use my card anymore.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 8:56am On Apr 11, 2013
Thanks for the reply pete about the withdrawal limits
I take it you are drawing funds from your Nigerian account though you are in the UK as our Nigerian banks now encourage us to do that
Yet doesn't it have drawbacks e.g. having issues with your account that you wont be able to withdraw like you said in your post?
Also please do share your thoughts on my other question
Where are you in UK BTW?

[size=15pt]USEFUL INSIGHTS BY OTHERS IS APPRECIATED TOO[/size]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 12:32pm On Apr 11, 2013
fiscalcliff: Morning thread contributors who spit insight by their replies,
1]What is the maximum amount per transaction from a British ATM [In Nigeria its 20-40k depending on the bank]?
What is the total daily transaction I can take from a British ATM [In Nigeria its 150k]?

2]Also how long can a return ticket stay valid for?
Most airline/travel agents websites grey off their calendars after about 6 months and I should be in the UK for about 16 months
Is it worth it, buying a return ticket or should I just settle for one way straight up?

Thanks for the replies

depends on your bank and account type its generally £250-£400 daily
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dannywest: 6:45am On Apr 12, 2013
peteafrik88:

For the ATM question, you are only allowed one withdrawal a day with an international card not exceeding b/w 400 - 600 GBP daily. I use GTBank master card on sainsbury's ATM and take up to 600 GBP while on Lloyd's it is 400 max. Barclays has refused to pay my card even on POS, i cant use my card anymore.

Ive withdrawn 600 on lloyds, I think it depends on the ATM.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dannywest: 6:48am On Apr 12, 2013
fiscalcliff: Thanks for the reply pete about the withdrawal limits
I take it you are drawing funds from your Nigerian account though you are in the UK as our Nigerian banks now encourage us to do that
Yet doesn't it have drawbacks e.g. having issues with your account that you wont be able to withdraw like you said in your post?
Where are you in UK BTW?

Ivnt had issues with my account since aso you shouldnt. For the flight ticket, get one that allows you to change date, then you can always edit and extend the return date.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
fiscalcliff: Thanks for the reply pete about the withdrawal limits
Where are you in UK BTW?

Yes, I am drawing from my 9ja account, and banks are encouraging us cos of the xtra charge. For me I dont think there are drawbacks unless one uses it for fraud.... The best is withdraw and put it in your UK account.
I am in Portsmouth and for the other question, I dont rili know about the airline games. When I was coming, I just bought a 1 way ticket
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:31pm On Apr 12, 2013
Dis Guy:

depends on your bank and account type its generally £250-£400 daily

The limit for Lloyds bank is 400
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:33pm On Apr 12, 2013
dannywest:

Ive withdrawn 600 on lloyds, I think it depends on the ATM.
Wow, which bank ATM do you use
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:34pm On Apr 12, 2013
dannywest:

Ivnt had issues with my account since aso you shouldnt. For the flight ticket, get one that allows you to change date, then you can always edit and extend the return date.
This is the best answer to the airline stuff.... Just like an open dated ticket
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dannywest: 1:41pm On Apr 13, 2013
peteafrik88:
Wow, which bank ATM do you use
GT naira mastercard, that day I tried 800 but they refused, but 600 went through
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 11:30am On Apr 15, 2013
dannywest:
GT naira mastercard, that day I tried 800 but they refused, but 600 went through
600 is the maximum I think which is equivalent to 150k.....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 4:18pm On Apr 18, 2013
@peteafrik88

Bros, you don dey enjoy the weather now abi? no more complain oo grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 19, 2013
My people in UK? Am planning to relocate to UK in September from Cyprus. How do you survive there? Are there jobs? Do they employ Africans and are there Racist most especially I will be staying in Coventry...
Your humble opinion...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 10:02am On Apr 19, 2013
fados4sure: My people in UK? Am planning to relocate to UK in September from Cyprus. How do you survive there? Are there jobs? Do they employ Africans and are there Racist most especially I will be staying in Coventry...
Your humble opinion...

If you have that mindset,its going to be hard for you to get a job.There are jobs but not a lot of graduate jobs. Depends on your skills
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 19, 2013
Sky-walker:

If you have that mindset,its going to be hard for you to get a job.There are jobs but not a lot of graduate jobs. Depends on your skills
Not a graduate job... Just part time job as I will be doing my Master degree. Any hope?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 4:53pm On Apr 19, 2013
fados4sure:
Not a graduate job... Just part time job as I will be doing my Master degree. Any hope?

There are jobs.It might take a few weeks or months to get it but there are part time jobs around. Its now up to you if you want to do it. e.g Portsmouth/Southampton,there are care job and support worker jobs but you might spend some money on training before being allowed to work.it depends on the agency
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Apr 19, 2013
Sky-walker:

There are jobs.It might take a few weeks or months to get it but there are part time jobs around. Its now up to you if you want to do it. e.g Portsmouth/Southampton,there are care job and support worker jobs but you might spend some money on training before being allowed to work.it depends on the agency
Thanks a lot... You are the best! Please, between Coventry, Wolverhampton and Hull. where you recommend because I have admission in the three schools
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Apr 19, 2013
fados4sure:
Thanks a lot... You are the best! Please, between Coventry, Wolverhampton and Hull. where you recommend because I have admission in the three schools

hull and coventry are good but there are better unis........what do you want to study ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Apr 19, 2013
adaobi123:

hull and coventry are good but there are better unis........what do you want to study ?
Hull is Chemical Engineering why Wolverhampton and Coventry are Mechanical Engineering...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Apr 19, 2013
fados4sure:
Hull is Chemical Engineering why Wolverhampton and Coventry are Mechanical Engineering...

good courses. smiley

have you tried Portsmouth ? I heard they are good.......

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Apr 19, 2013
adaobi123:

good courses. smiley

Nop! I have offer letter already... Am just researching on where there are more opportunity and what job are in demand there.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Apr 19, 2013
fados4sure:
Nop!

check it out tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 7:39pm On Apr 20, 2013
FutureDon: @peteafrik88

Bros, you don dey enjoy the weather now abi? no more complain oo grin

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! No b small ooo and I always feel like sitting under thw sun of Portsmouth, all through the day...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 7:44pm On Apr 20, 2013
adaobi123:

good courses. smiley

I agree with her on this. Mechanical engineering in Portsmouth Uni is excellent...

@Adaobi; How have you been? Did you have the opportunity to visit Portsmouth Uni for the Open day? It was started today and dont really know how long it will last..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 7:46pm On Apr 20, 2013
Sky-walker:

Boss, its been quite a long time. I arrived Portsmouth about 3 months ago and still peeping for jobs ooo....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 7:48pm On Apr 20, 2013
adaobi123:

check it out tongue

Sure, I strongly recommend that....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 20, 2013
peteafrik88:

I agree with her on this. Mechanical engineering in Portsmouth Uni is excellent...

@Adaobi; How have you been? Did you have the opportunity to visit Portsmouth Uni for the Open day? It was started today and dont really know how long it will last..

I've been okay, thanks. How are you ? What's Portsmouth saying ?

I'm going to a department open day on Wednesday.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 10:18pm On Apr 20, 2013
peteafrik88:

Boss, its been quite a long time. I arrived Portsmouth about 3 months ago and still peeping for jobs ooo....

Have u tried elite care and Mencap?Care jobs are the easiest to get around.also try Wimbledon jobs for summer. i did that too when i was in school.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 23, 2013
Pls guys I will be coming to The University of Manchester in Sept for my MSc in Petroleum Geoscience. How do you see the school, living and studying in manchester, getting a part-time job on campus, which hostel is the best to stay for Nigerians? Pls advice accordingly. Anybody in Manchester already for discussion. Thanks in anticipation
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 12:15am On Apr 24, 2013
adaobi123:

I've been okay, thanks. How are you ? What's Portsmouth saying ?

I'm going to a department open day on Wednesday.

For me, its been great... Tomorrow for the open day, what was the department again?
BTW, Portsmouth aint saying anything except for the exam cloud on and around campus... Have fun then

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.