Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,981 members, 7,960,113 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 01:17 PM

Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue (6586 Views)

Do Abia, Imo And Other Igbo States Among Oil States / Why Are Governors From No-drop-of-oil States Obsessed With Oil? / N5,000 For The Poor: Katsina Women Storm Bank To Demand For APC Social Security (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by Nobody: 11:51am On Feb 27, 2012
These Northerners are at it again?! Always wanting everything but offering little to nothing?!
From the read, I could sense they are trying to raise the question of 'To whom the offshore oil spots belong', I suppose that real soon would become the bone of contention in Nigeria's post 2012 politics.

Make naija kuku split jeje o.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by Beaf: 11:53am On Feb 27, 2012
MAYOWAAK:

We cannot say that we exist in a Federal Republic and then some people still think that the way to address their revenue shortfall is to eye the revenues of others. [b]That is not Federalism. You only do that to a conquered people. You only do that to a vassal state. [/b]So Nigeria should decide do we really want to be a Federal Republic of Nigeria where we have viable states that pull their own weight o, r do we want to pretend by calling ourselves a Federal Republic while the reality is that there is nothing Federal about the Republic and we are really a Unitary Republic of Nigeria where states depend on one unitary commodity (oil) and abandon other resources (such as agriculture, solid minerals and manufacturing)

That is why Hilary Clinton claimed that the Niger Delta is like occupied territory, and its people kept in bondage by the rest of Nigeria.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by MAYOWAAK: 12:10pm On Feb 27, 2012
There is this wrong assumption that development can only come when you get more money from federation account. This is the logic that often drives the clamour for “more money, more money”. Every state must work towards developing its local economy with policies and programmes that will encourage the growth of industry and service. It will not happen overnight—it takes careful planning and attracting the needed investment. Every state must leverage on its area of strength. I have said it a million times—states such as Anambra and Abia can build electronics manufacturing cities without spending a kobo of their own money! It is all about using the brain.

Need we continue to hammer on the fact that our over-reliance on oil revenue is bound to hurt us one day? Every discussion about public finance in Nigeria starts and ends with federation account. It is sickening. State commissioners for finance run to Abuja every month to collect FAAC cheques, the same way workers wait for their salaries! If oil money were to dry up today, where would the finance commissioners run to? How would the states survive? What are the governors putting in place in their states to prepare for a future without oil, a future where the oil-fuelled federation account will become more like pocket money to them?
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by Yujin(m): 12:11pm On Feb 27, 2012
@9jacrib, you can also read their minds. That makes us two. This is the logic of the core north. When eventually SNC holds, this would be their main stay. Mistakenly vote a muslim in; this is what will happen. The core north & most of their leaders are bereft of ideas because they are parasites by nature. Whether Buhari, Ribadu, Atiku or Sambo(though I like him but he would be compromised by pressures from the sultanate), do not vote for as long as they are from the core north. Nigeria will remain underdeveloped for as long as they rule. Western Education is Abomination=Boko Haram.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by pkota: 12:28pm On Feb 27, 2012
Now the northern governors have suddenly realised how drained the north has become with these agitations of boko haram that want to down play western education. All the northern elites in govt today who are products of western education are keeping mute over boko haram but now these hypocrites want the 13% given to the blessed and fruitful but deprived niger delta states to be slashed. FOR THEIR INFORMATION THE 13% DERIVIATION IS NO MORE AN EMBRACEABLE ISSUE IN THE NIGER DELTA WHAT WE WANT NOW FROM THE FEDERAL GOVT IS A TOTAL 100% CONTROL OF OUR RESOURCES AND TAXES TO BE PAID TO THE CENTRE, THAT IS HOW JUSTICE CAN BE RESTORED TO THE NIGER DELTA.IT IS ALSO OUR CONCERN THAT NO ONE CAN LAY CLAIM TO POSSES OIL BLOCKS IN THE SOUTH WHEN HE IS FROM THE NORTH ALL OF THESE INJUSTICES MUST COME TO AN END.AM VERY SURE THAT VERY SOON THE NORTH WILL FOREVER LIVE TO REGRET OVER THE ACTIVITIES OF BOKO HARAM.THESE GOVERNORS HAVE RE-AWAKEN THE AGITATIONS OF THE NIGER DELTA PEOPLE FOR RESOURCE CONTROL .WHAT THE NORTH IS CLAMOURING FOR THROUGH BOKO HARAM IS RELIGIOUS CONTROL OVER THEIR REGION AND THESE GOVERNORS SHOULD NOT BOTHER ABOUT DERIVIATION WHEN THEY CAN NOT GUARANTY SAFETY OF LIVES AND PROPERTY.THESE ISSUES RAISED BY THE NORTHERN GOVERNORS ARE THE MORE REASONS WHY WE SHOULD HAVE A SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE WHERE MATTERS BORDERING ON TRUE FEDREALISM AND RESORCE CONTROL BE DISCUSSED .IF EVERY REGION OF THE COUNTRY IS TO CONTROL THEIR RESOURCES THE VIOLENCE IN THE NORTH WILL DISAPPEAR INSTANTLY AS NO GOVERNOR WOULD WANT TO BE OUT OF FINANCIAL RESOURCES AND DO ALL THEY CAN TO MAINTAIN PEACE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE STATES.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by sirjec(m): 12:29pm On Feb 27, 2012
When they were allocating themselves states in order to have more representative, did they not know that the states will survive? After they have created mushroom states in the north that are not even qualified to be a local government, they now want other states to sustain the states. Let them create their own revenue.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by akpanasukwo: 12:35pm On Feb 27, 2012
na wa o,
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by buJu234: 12:50pm On Feb 27, 2012
the problem with Nigerian leaders is not lack of cash; the problem is how to manage it.

i tell u d truth if a governor cant do any reasonable thing with 1million naira per mth allocation;
even if u give 100Billion he will have nothing to show for it.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by Martmore: 12:54pm On Feb 27, 2012
Yet when the issue of SNC is talked about, these mugu northern govs associate it with secession.SNC will bring about state autonomy and address other issues.Abeg if una no like the arrangee, make una go hug transformer.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by ak47mann(m): 12:57pm On Feb 27, 2012
The same north that dont want alcohol drinks and bars in their region but collecting tax money from alcohol undecided undecided this people haven't mention what their problem really is undecided
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by emiye(m): 1:00pm On Feb 27, 2012
Beaf:

I de laf o! The true face of Nigeria shows more clearly everyday.

How is it normal for a governor who is supposed to develop his state to begin calling louder for awuf from other states? How is it normal that the citizens of his state have not risen up to call for his head for embarrassing them so patently when they are not invalids?

What is the use of a governor who is so phucking unimaginative and bereaft of ideas as to make beggarly calls for oil money, while those from whose land it act as the slaves and donkeys for all? It boggles the mind that thousands would actually have queued up, exposed to the vagaries of the elements, uncertain about the violence thugs or govt forces could unleash at any crazed moment. . . to vote for a man whose most creative thought is an ever expanding beggars bowl.

What a country!

Does the current arrangement of government structure allows all states to fully exploit their natural and other great resources ?  If your answer is no. then ask why?.

It is no point casting aspersions on the state governors, the "unitary" system currently enthrenched by the federal government does not adequately give room for effective exploitation of resources by states.

If the current system stays, governors will continue to take their bowl to Abuja waiting for food.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by Ournaija: 1:25pm On Feb 27, 2012
emiye:

Does the current arrangement of government structure allows all states to fully exploit their natural and other great resources ?  If your answer is no. then ask why?.

It is no point casting aspersions on the state governors, the "unitary" system currently enthrenched by the federal government does not adequately give room for effective exploitation of resources by states.

If the current system stays, governors will continue to take their bowl to Abuja waiting for food.

The governor was asking for a review of the revenue allocation in favour of his state and not resource control. The man is not interested in the whatever resources within his territory not to talk of tapping them. He simply wants cash but not interested in working for it. He should have added his voice to the increasing voice for true Federalism and resource control.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by Martmore: 1:35pm On Feb 27, 2012
Yet when the issue of SNC is talked about, these mugu northern govs associate it with secession.SNC will bring about state autonomy and address other issues.Abeg if una no like the arrangee, make una go hug transformer.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by nelsonehi: 1:40pm On Feb 27, 2012
the north has been enjoying oil that never belong to thir domain. it`s time they realise thir cup is full.cape verd island is consider to be one of the most developing country in africa, yet they do not have oil.the Aboki brain is only base on shearing the oil money  without been creative to  develope other means to making moning for the developement of thir state.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by maasoap(m): 1:49pm On Feb 27, 2012
Despite the fact that you people are collecting huge allocations every month, the money that can finance 4 to 5 states in other regions, what do you have to show for it? South South states are as corrupt and wasteful as Northern states. Even Ekiti state with her meagre monthly allocation has training facilities for the handicapped while Delta state with allocation the size of Oyo, Ogun, Ekiti and Osun combined together is busy sending her indigens to Ekiti. Shame. With this huge allocation since since 1994, one would expect South South states to be setting the pace. But no, the region is not meant to be developed! Give them all Nigeria resources and come back in the next 30 years, they'll still remain the same. It is one thing to be getting multiple allocation of what others are getting from the FG just because you happen to be sitting on natural resources, it is another thing to have development mentality.
BTW, no single state govt in Nigeria is productive, all they do is to wait for the monthly donation from FG. It is about natural resources for all of them.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by ocelot2006(m): 1:57pm On Feb 27, 2012
@ Maasoap, why don't you pay a visit to south-south states like Rivers, Akwa Ibom, and Cross River? Do that and get back to me.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by harmony5(m): 2:12pm On Feb 27, 2012
MAYOWAAK:

We cannot say that we exist in a Federal Republic and then some people still think that the way to address their revenue shortfall is to eye the revenues of others. That is not Federalism. You only do that to a conquered people. You only do that to a vassal state. So Nigeria should decide do we really want to be a Federal Republic of Nigeria where we have viable states that pull their own weight o, r do we want to pretend by calling ourselves a Federal Republic while the reality is that there is nothing Federal about the Republic and we are really a Unitary Republic of Nigeria where states depend on one unitary commodity (oil) and abandon other resources (such as agriculture, solid minerals and manufacturing)
You are quite right man, although there are some attribute of federalism in our system, but in most practices it is purely a unitary system, and
more like a militarianism -  Because its the military's  wish that it remains like this, so could be protected. And a with wrong notion that it is effective in
preventing Nigeria from disintegration. Funny enough the west is tactically supporting it cos they are benefiting from the flawed system at our own
detriment. Now concerning their demand for more money, I think this sharing of revenue has make them so lazy, therefore giving them more money
still from the revenue sharing which they have no input will definitely make them to be MORE LAME LAZY. They should rather look inward and see how
they too can make something that could be shared as revenue to others. That way, they might have moral right to call for revenue equality. Until then.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by Demdem(m): 2:29pm On Feb 27, 2012
[b]I see nothing wrong in what Aliyu asked for because the SW so called leaders asked for the same thing few weeks ago with less cryout from the SS. The bottom line is there is too much money at the centre and this must be corrected.
The truth is the way the structure of Nigeria is presently, calls like this from Aliyu arent out of place and until this structure is re-organised to reflect the wishes of the vast population the SS will have no choice but to continue to share its oil wealth.

This is one of my grouse with the retardeen. why does he have to tell me that sovereign national conference that is suppose to address this same structure is a no-no. The NASS cant correct and re-arrange a structure that benefits them solely. is it when another aboki become President that we will have such a parley? Those criticising Aliyu are stupid IMO and wont join them in such. They should use all their energy to exert pressure on the retardeen (GEJ) to permanently solve this issue once and for all and this can be through the national conference.

Left to me, i strongly believe that regional government that have full control over their resources will do. To each with his own. let SS chop their oil solely, North chop ur crops only likewise SW ur cocoa. let us all discuss the detail of the basis of our togetherness. Until this is done, there is nothing wrong with the demands of Aliyu. retardeen should wake up and shouldnt play politics with our future.[/b]
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by Beync(f): 2:29pm On Feb 27, 2012
So upon all the money govt spend on irrigation in the north they don't generate a dime to develop their dry land. May all the oil money they eat purge them like cholera!! Stupid people.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by beeke(m): 2:35pm On Feb 27, 2012
This is the one and only reason why i went on a difficult journey some months ago just to locate the tomb site of my gran great four fathers to sworn  an oath of hatred and disgust for Mr NNAMDI AZIKIWEand Mr OBAFEMI AWOLOWO for fooli$hly buying into this one Nigeria sh*i*t ideology, how can a state governor who made promises of transforming the standard of living for his people base all his promise on awuf cash from FG how many countries in the globe that produce oil? i can go on and name several EU or better still African countries who dont have oil in their land yet the are far more develop than Nigeria as a whole. if we as a country must develop first we must get rid off our useless and analog constitution and come together to fashion a more people oriented constitution which will give every state and her people the liberty to grow and develop on their own pace we must have a constitution whereby Abuja will be less attractive to any power hungry moderfking lots. Until the above mentioned elders of SE/SW explained to me the rational behind their ill consumption of this Briton selfish contraption called Nigeria my hatred and disgust for them will remain till thy kingdom come  angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by Gideonyte(m): 2:45pm On Feb 27, 2012
This is long but please read!!!

Link: http://transformationwatch./2012/02/24/deprivation-derivation-principles-why-the-north-is-poor-i-elombah/

Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (I) – Elombah

“According to official figures, the leading oil producing state, Rivers, received N1,053 billion between 1999 and 2008 in federal allocations. By contrast the North-eastern states of Yobe and Borno, where the Boko Haram sect was created, received N175bn and N213bn respectively. Broken down on a per capita basis, the contrast is even starker. In 2008 the 18.97m people who lived in the six states in the north-east received on average N1,156 per person.
“By contrast Rivers state was allocated N3,965 per capita, and on average the oil producing South- South region received on average N3,332 per capita. This imbalance is compounded when the cost of an amnesty programme for militants in the delta is included together with an additional 1 per cent for a special development body for the Niger Delta. To boot, the theft of oil by profiteers in the region diverts tens of millions more weekly from federal coffers.” – Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.
Yes, forget these per capita figures! I agree the North is poor. Yes, I agree the poverty has bred millions of destitutes, who have become instant and easy recruits for Boko Haram. But my question is: Who impoverished the North?

Almajiris deprived of good education and proper nutrition amid Oil Block ownership by aristocrats
A caveat: I am an unabashed capitalist who believes that every citizen has a right to do good business and make profit. I salute hard work and do not disparage honest efforts. However, uncompassionate capitalism driven by pulleys of aristocracy breeds a brutal class order worthy of condemnation.
In my last article titled – “Elrufai’s amnesia: The day Boko Haram Wore Jeans”, I categorically stated that greed and the senseless chase for power by the Fulani aristocrats and political elites of the North are responsible for the extreme poverty of the North. I still and will always stand by that. My position did not go down well with my targets; they responded with vituperations.

Mallam Sanusi’s statistics was intended to mislead us by ruffling the rudder of our common sense. See, Ekiti state has a 2012 budget 0f N88 billion; Kwara state, N90 billion; Cross River state, N144 billion; Anambra state, N82 billion; Enugu state, N74 billion. Now let’s look at the 2012 budgets recently passed into law by the four major Boko Haram occupied states – Kano state has a budget of N 210 billion; Borno state, 150 billion; Gombe, N94 billion; Yobe state, 80 billion.
A simple comparative analysis shows that Ekiti state has about the same revenue as Yobe and Gombe, but only 17 students passed WAEC and NECO in Gombe state last year, while Ekiti is known for its high literacy level. Gombe state has a bigger budget that Enugu and Anambra, why hasn’t MASSOB bombed anyone. Borno state has a budget twice that of Enugu state but the poverty and unemployment level in Borno state is more than thrice that of Enugu state. Borno has a bigger budget than a Niger Delta state- Cross River, while the leaders of that state over the last decade have transformed it into the Nation’s leading tourist destination; those of Borno have transformed it into a Somalia.

Kano state gets the highest statutory allocation from the FG, because on paper Kano is the most populated state in Nigeria, yet Kano has about 1.6 million destitute Almajiris. Kano has a budget almost thrice the budget of Enugu, twice the budget of Kwara, Anambra and Ekiti, but how come almost 90% of students in Kano fail WAEC? How come the poverty level in Kano is higher than all these states put together?
Why is the North so poor? From the figures above I have shown that Southern states with lesser budgets have shown better development performance than most North Eastern states with bigger statutory allocation and budgets.

'Slightly matured' Almajiris are 'willing tools' for wanton destruction
Now, I need to tackle the sensitive question of revenue allocation that has infuriated the Mallam Lamido Sanusi and Mallam Elrufai and their likes. Niger Delta states get higher revenue allocation because they contribute virtually all the eggs in the national crate. That is expected. Albeit the 13% remains grossly inadequate, the CBN Governor has suggested that his Boko boys are resisting the disparity.
I want to posit that the North-East through their aristocrats and ex-military rulers (except Gen. Mohammed Buhari) rake in more oil money (from the Niger Delta) individually than any Niger Delta state, and collectively more than twice the entire Niger Delta put together. In this disquisition, I have attempted to show that 80% of crude oil and gas produced by indigenous companies is controlled by the North-East. It is an area they have well conquered through General IBB, Abacha and Abdulsalami. However, the loots never get back home.

In this first part I will attempt to describe the very uneven nature of the distribution of the nation’s wealth among the Northern aristocratic families and their military generals who for decades looted Nigeria. They did so blatantly, and while Nigeria was weeping about oil windfall loot and others, Nigerians would wail if they know how much of the nation’s resources these folks allocated to themselves and their business fronts before they stepped aside.
Let us therefore begin.

To the state of origin of Boko Haram: Borno State. Enter Cavendish Petroleum, the operators of OML 110 – with good yielding OBE field. This oil block was awarded to Alhaji Mai Deribe – the Borno patriarch, who even in death will remain the richest man dead or alive in the history of Borno state- by General Sani Abacha on the 8th of July, 1996. OML 110 has a proven oil reserve in excess of 500 million barrels (More than the entire 300milliom barrels reserve of Sudan). As yet with the capacity to produce about 120,000 barrels of crude oil daily from its OBE 4 and OBE 5 wells. At current production levels, the Mai Deribes net circa N4billion monthly in crude oil sales (Using current oil price of $100pb). Cavendish Petroleum’s N4bn monthly net dwarfs the monthly statutory allocation of Borno which is about N3bn and its internally generated revenue staggers around N1billion.
See his mansion, a tourist attraction -

Gidan Mai Deribe http://kyata.aminus3.com/image/2009-08-17.html
I will then shift to the centre of the Fulani aristocratic hegemony in the North East – Kano. Here. Enter the Fulani Prince Nasiru Ado Bayero, Mallam (Prince) Sanusi Lamido Sanusi’s cousin. He is a Key shareholder and director in Seplat/Platform petroleum operators of the Asuokpu/Umutu Marginal Field with a capacity of 300,000 barrels monthly and A 30mmfcsd gas plant capable of feeding 100MT of LPG. The Ado Bayeros, Yar’Aduas and Atiku Abubakar are Nigerian holders of Intels. It is a private port that has grounded three Federal ports in the South. Intels is discussed later.
Enter South Atlantic Petroleum Limited (SAPETRO). South Atlantic Petroleum (SAPETRO) is a Nigerian Oil Exploration and Production Company that was created in 1995 by General T. Y. Danjuma. General Sani Abacha awarded the Oil Prospecting License (OPL) 246 to SAPETRO in February 1998.
The block covers a total area of 2,590km2 (1,000 sq. miles). SAPETRO partnered with Total Upstream Nigeria Ltd (TUPNI) and Brasoil Oil Services Company Nigeria Ltd (Petrobras) to start prospecting on OPL246. Akpo, a condensate field was discovered in April 2000 with the drilling of the first exploration well (Akpo 1) on the block. Other discoveries made on OPL 246 include the Egina Main, Egina South, Preowei and Kuro (Kuro was suspended as a dry gas/minor oil discovery).
In June 2006, General TY Danjuma divested part of its contractor rights and obligations to China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) for $1 billion (N160bn). Akpo exports about 230,000 barrels of condensate daily. Condensate export is not regulated by OPEC, so SAPETRO/TOTAL exports as much as possible each day. Egina exports about 75,000 barrels of oil daily.

Therefore, Akpo and Egina fields export just over 300,000 barrels of oil/condensate daily (three times what the country Ghana exports). SAPETRO (TY Danjuma) get 25% of this. Now, note I have not talked about the gas component – it’s about 2.5 trillion cubic feet. The money SAPETRO nets each month is more than the monthly statutory allocation of all the Niger states combined and also more than the oil revenue of Ghana. Do your math.
Enter AMNI (or is it AMIN?) International Petroleum Development Company. AMNI owns two oil blocks – OML 112 and OML 117. In the production sharing contract, AMNI gets 60% for owning the oil block and Total gets 40% for providing technical advice. OML 112 was awarded on the 12/02/1998 while OML 117 was awarded 06/08/1999 all by Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar. Operations started on both blocks 0n 26/02/2006. The licenses are due to expire 11/02/2018 and 05/08/2019 respectively. (Now you see why the next election is important?).

The Okoro and Setu fields in OML 112 are operated by Afren Energy, a company substantially controlled by Rilwanu Lukman. The Okoro and Setu oil fields have about 50 million barrels in reserve and currently produce/exports just a little below 20,000 barrels per day. The chairman of AMNI International Petroleum and Development Company is Alhaji (Colonel) Sani Bello a Fulani from Kontagora, Niger State. Lest I forget, Alhaji Bello’s son- Abu, is married to General Abdusalami Abubakar’s eldest daughter.

Enter Oriental Energy Resources Limited, a company owned by Alhaji Mohammed Indimi, a Fulani and close friend of General Ibrahim Babangida. Also worthy of note is that General IBB’s first son is married to Alhaji Mohammed Indimi’s daughter – Yakolo Indimi-Babangida, who also serves as a director in the company. Alhaji Indimi hails from Niger State. Oriental Energy Resources Limited runs three oil blocks: OML 115, the Okwok field and the Ebok field. OML 115 and Okwo are OML PSC, while Ebok is an OML JV. All of them crown offshore oil blocks. OML 115 on its own is 228 sqKm. On OML115 Oriental Energy Resources Limited has 60 per cent while Equity Energy Resources AS, which Alhjai Aliko Dangote’s oil and gas investment vehicle has 40 per cent (Aliko Dangote is from Kano). On Okwok, Addax has 40% and on the Ebok field, Oriental Energy Resources shares with none: its 100%. AMNI produces twice as much as Cavendish Petroleum.

Enter Express Petroleum and Gas Limited floated by Alhaji Aminu Dantata, solely for the purpose of fronting for winning oil block(s) even though he and the company are in no way qualified for the award. General Abacha awarded him OML 108 on the 1st of November, 1995. CAMAC Houston, a company owned by Kase Lawal bought 2.5% of Express Petroleum’s 60% holdings. The other 40% on OML 108 is owned Sheba E&P Limited an IBB tributary company. SEPCOL operates the Ukpokiti offshore field in Shallow water Nigeria, which was acquired from ConocoPhillips in May 2004.
Enter Shebah Exploration And Production Limited (SEPCOL) . It is the operator of the Oil Mining License 108 offshore Nigeria. Head office is in Lagos, but ‘head quartered’ in Minna.

Subsistence fishing close to oil rigs in the Niger Delta. Oil wells down south are mostly owned by Northern Nigerian Billionaires
Enter Consolidated Oil. Conoil Producing Limited is an integrated upstream oil and gas company. They are the operator of six blocks in the Niger Delta as well as 25% Equity holder in the Joint Development Zone (JDZ) Block 4. Corporate Head office is in Lagos, but its ‘Headquarters’ is in Minna, Niger State.
Conoil signed a technical operator agreement with Continental Oil and Gas Limited (CONOG) to provide 100% funding and technical service agreement to operate blocks OML 59 on a 40% (Conoil) / 60% (CONOG) basis. Conoil entered into a Production Sharing Contract with the NNPC by virtue of an agreement executed on 17th October 2008.

Conoil’s has overall potential hydrocarbon resources of over 1.0 Billion Barrels of Oil and 7.0 Trillion Cubic Feet of Gas. General Ibrahim Babangida awarded the first oil block to Conoil in 1991. The company produces about 100,000 barrels per day.
Enter Rilwanu Lukman, another Fulani multimillionaire with fronted controlling holdings in Afren, the operators of AMNI oil blocks and also with very key interest in the NNPC/Vitol trading deal, Vitol is a London based oil trading company. Vitol lifts 350,000 barrels of crude oil daily from Nigeria.
Enter Intels and the Yar’Adua , Ado Bayero family and Alhaji Abubakar Atiku. The Oil and Gas Free Zone and Oil Services Centres, as well as Support Bases, are operated from government-owned facilities, leased to Intels under long-term agreements. Intels runs a ‘private port’, a venture that has systematically killed the Calabar, Warri and Port Harcourt ports. There are over one hundred major companies operating at the Intel facility in Port Harcourt. The company makes more money in profit than the government of Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta states put together. I shall give details and figures in the part two of this disquisition.
Finally, for the Part I of this disquisition, I introduce you to NorthEast Petroleum. The name is as clear as the message it sends. I do not need to write so much about NorthEast Petroleum registered as NorEast. NorthEast Petroleum Nigeria Limited is the holder of OPL215 license, covering an area 0f 2,564 square kilometres in water depths between 200 to 1600 metres. NorEast is the parent company of Rayflosh Petroleum Nigeria which got the 2005 bidding round and was awarded the blocks OPLs 276 & 283 closing thereupon a Joint Venture Agreement with Centrica Resources Nigeria Limited and CCC Oil and Gas.
Not surprising, NorthEast Petroleum is owned by another Fulani businessman from the North East, Alhaji Saleh Mohammed Jambo. The license was awarded to him by General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida in 1991 and then renewed in 2004. So far $50Million has been spent on the very promising Okpoi-1 and Egere -1 exploratory well.
In the Part II, we shall finish the discussion. We will table other North Eastern billionaires who make more money than their states of origin from Niger Delta oil blocks.

The 'North' has arguably the highest number of beggars in Africa
With all these oil blocks owned by ‘North- Easterners’ in the Niger Delta, it should be clear to Elrufai and Sanusi who really benefits from the Niger Delta Amnesty Programme.

Sadly, National Bureau of Statistics reports from 2010 show Niger State as the poorest state in the Federation, and the North East the poorest region.
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/35947-nigerias-poverty-level-rises-hits-715-sokoto-niger-top-list-of-poorest-states.
With these figures from the National Bureau of Statistics, I rest my case.
Ross Alabo-George can be reached at imaginasion@gmail.com
The rich man’s wealth is his strong city: the destruction of the poor is their poverty. Let us reason together.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by chuqudy(m): 2:49pm On Feb 27, 2012
The only thing I want do hear is that this country Nigeria should be divided into different countries. I believe the North would be at peace when this happens. Biafra can stand alone period!
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by asoderock(m): 3:28pm On Feb 27, 2012
Why ask for more when u already hv more. The North already get more than 50% when the number of LGs in the north are factored in and summed with state allocation + their Fg share which is far more than that of the south considering the fact that they have far more federal institution and also hv their people dominate these institutions.

What is more? Even if the North get 100%, nothing will change. Almajiris will stil remain.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by emiye(m): 5:51pm On Feb 27, 2012
Ournaija:

The governor was asking for a review of the revenue allocation in favour of his state and not resource control. The man is not interested in the whatever resources within his territory not to talk of tapping them. He simply wants cash but not interested in working for it. He should have added his voice to the increasing voice for true Federalism and resource control.
I still maintain the governor who asked for more revenue allocation is in good stead. The Governors forum comprising all the 36 state governors have asked for the same thing ' Increased Revenue Allocation'.

It is common sense for a child to ask for more pocket money from his father, especially if the child is not allowed by his dad to do holidays job
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by ekwynwa1: 6:24pm On Feb 27, 2012
Babangida Aliyu don fall my hand oo shocked shocked shocked shocked

where will the revenue come from

our Northern brothers shld think outside the box ( federation Account ) sad
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by oiseworld: 1:33am On Feb 28, 2012
just imagine what happens when theirs no accountability.
A story in the Bible talks about a man who was on a journey, and he gave to his servants talents. One he gave 5, the other 2, and the third he gave 1. These he gave according to their abilities. After a long time, the master came back. The one with 5 talents had multiplied his to 10. The one he gave 2 had multiplied to 4. But the one he gave 1, buried his and insulted the master of wanting to reap where he did not sow.
Did i digress alittle? Yes i did. From d sharing of alocation we can tell that each stated is given according to his capacity,population and competence. So what are the northerners clamoring for.what have they done with the little ( which is quite too much) they get. They have continued to reduce in population , due to religious war their un accomodative behavious, sponsored terrorism,breed miscrents etc. Now they ask for more allocations. To do what self, pay more salaries to cows and donkeys, rams and goats.
"JOKE" JONA, wen is the day of reckoning, accountability. When each state would give account of all their earnings and spendings.

"Naija when"
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by Nobody: 4:53am On Feb 28, 2012
I support the rejection! Not until Boko Haram is contained by their leaders.
Re: Oil States Reject North’s Demand For More Revenue by manbuchai: 9:10am On Feb 28, 2012
These people have guts! we regret being merged in thesame country with them and they are busy demanding for more allocation for oil that come from the land of the infidels.Why can`t this Northerners fight for their own republic,nobody wants to be in the same country with them, I repeat we are not the same people.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reason(s) Why Nigeria Should Not Let Biafra Stand / Buhari Cannot Talk, We Are Becoming Confused – Presidency Confesses / Nigerian Doctors Turn Refugees In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.