Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,978 members, 7,936,144 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 05:01 AM

Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? (23593 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? / Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Coldfaya(m): 7:20am On May 19, 2012
leomaxx: what has your CGPA got to do with success in Nigeria, Nothing!!! Except you have the employment seeking mentality as every fresh graduate does until the hard truth dawns on them. Keep the idea of Masters far from you and enroll any high grade IT school and get practical knowledge, after 1YR foreign University is a guarantee through the IT schools in Lagos for a 1 yr course then get IT based company running, if u still need masters, its 10 months, which i doubt, and your future is Zap.in.g made.

gbam.....2:1 or 2:2 dont guarantee success. I know loads of guys with 2:2 who r blowing big. Nor dull urself
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by johnkenty(m): 7:20am On May 19, 2012
I had a similar experience in Nija back then, graduating with 3.48, I must tell u i was heart broken. No thanks to those our lousy lecturers....but to me it was a blessing in disguise cos it made me to truly discover my potentials. After NYSC, i quickly enrolled for my Msc in Pet. Geology in Naija..not even UK *cos I dont have the finace* after which I got an opportunity to do a 12month post grad. Internship with one of our multinationals..i worked a few months after my internship with them before getting an offer with an Oil and gas firm in UAE as an expatriat...even there other job offers keep coming up... So buddy i was blessing cos if i have had a 2:1 may i will be in one bank now
did i fail to mention that I was the best graduating PG student with a CGPA of 4.75/5.0

Very gud advice! @poster: u nid to place an advantage on ur CV, get an MSc if u r seeking a paid job(though u stil ve nt told us watt u studied) or beta stil make ursef an Entrepreneur broda because dose jobs r getting even fewer evryday even for dudes wit 1st class & 2.1, all d best.
@CONYEMA12: pls cld u gimme a call on 07040205388 or eazylifejk@yahoo.com. Maybe yu cld as well gimme ur email addr or contact. Need to discuss smtin wit yu tanks! cool
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by redcliff: 7:22am On May 19, 2012
Basic:
Oga, there are no contradictions, unless you need an interpreter to help you out. Or better, trying reading through again, probably you were not fully awake the first time.

He sed 3.48. But the poster did not have a 3.48 except he made a mistake. He also sed he was heartbroken. My question is for who? The poster or his own result when he saw it?
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by jimtosam: 7:25am On May 19, 2012
There is no problem at all. So, who told you all graduates in Banks are 2.1? who told you that all graduates in Oil company are 2.1? Pray God should give you good links and also follow your career path. If you want to study abroad, check the travel section here. 3.49 to wes evaluation (US) is gud for Masters overthere.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by 19656762: 7:27am On May 19, 2012
Okoya: All my efforts ended with a CGPA 3.49..... what's
my fate in the market? Maybe I should just get a
transcript. This Is so painful. Please I need words
of encouragement.

Hahaha. Calm down bro. I was in your shoes some four years ago. Graduated with a 3.483 from a Federal University and I thought the world had come to an end. I tried the whole Masters thingy but it didn't work. A little patience, self development and and eye for opportunities and today I'm proud I work for a multi-national FMCG coy. Infact, I just moved from one to another and the pay is something most of my colleagues with better grades would not dream of in a few years to come.

Did I know anyone? NO! But I kept pushing myself because I knew I didn't make a 2.1 due to laziness and not lack of intelligence. The truth is, most employers have come to realise that there are people with a 2.2 that are smart and proactive and would get the job done better than others with better grades.

When I was interviewing at where I currently work, there was this dude with a 1st class from one of these private unis and during our group discussion (part of the assessment) he could barely contribute. The assessors were clearly disappointed.

My point is this- 1st class, 2.1 or 2.2, you determine where you end up. Giving up at this stage is the worst thing you could do to yourself. Engage your mind. Study for aptitude tests, read articles, expand your knowledge base. If you get a low-paying but flexible job, take it, but keep looking out for that big kill. Working, no matter how small the company may be would expose you and you will learn things you may never learn if you had enrolled in a masters program.

I'm not saying you shouldn't consider a masters. All I'm saying is that there is no surety that you will get a job after that. If it's convenient for you, fine. But work experience would be better.

Just my two cents!

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by galaxi(m): 7:30am On May 19, 2012
Dis post hv made me strng,i got 3.48 &i tried all i cud 2 make it upto 3.5 bt all my effort provd abbortiv n since 3wks nw i hv bn in sad mode.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by honour6(m): 7:30am On May 19, 2012
tanimola22:

Hi,

How has it been? Would you mind sharing the challenges/triumphs you have recorded so far? How many interviews have you attended? How did your interviewers take you? Did you signify the GPA on your CV? Has it been an advantage/disadvantage to you? What advice do you have for people with the same 3.4999 GPA?

I understand that you may not have strong answers to these questions if you just graduated and have not gone for NYSC. Any way it is, let us know.

T22.
yea What I Did was to have some extra certifications during my NYSC, which gave me an edge on my current job, I'm applying for M.Sc. This year, in other to increase my chances for a better job. What the Op needs to come in terms with is that 2.2 is 2.2 whether it is 3.49 or 2.5, he has to seek for a higher education and do well in it in other to increase employability.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by kundul: 7:35am On May 19, 2012
Re-any hope with CGPA 3.49 my broda u need God's favour in dis lyf. D result u graduate with does nt determine d quality of job u get in nigeria. I went 2 a polytechnic wit upper credit. Bt sought Gods favour n he gave me a job wit a very gud salary. FG 4 dt matter.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Ekowise(m): 7:42am On May 19, 2012
I sense hw u feel. In my own case i dnt tell pple made 2.1. I prefer 2 tel dem it's 4.42. It's a heartbreak. Dat does nt mean u ar nt gud. I come 2 undastnd dat GP maters just but litle. Yes, it cn help u in securing a gud job but dat which u knw & cari in u wil determine hw far u go. Just be gud & try 2 add some profesional papers 2 d 1 u alrdy hv. Free u mind o
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by pdpiperpippen: 7:45am On May 19, 2012
Just tell ur university to write ur GPA on ur certificate grin bloody nearly 2“1 cool
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Timileyin(m): 7:51am On May 19, 2012
when you apply for jobs, put 2.1 and when they request for your transcript, show is to them.. they will pardon you.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by bayulll01(m): 7:51am On May 19, 2012
any comapny that consider only 1.1 and 2.1 are at their owne peril,at op free your mind joor

1 Like

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by jmoore(m): 7:56am On May 19, 2012
what's Bill Gates CGPA? what's Steve Jobs CGPA?
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by BBDelta(m): 7:56am On May 19, 2012
@ Poster, If your university said your C.G.P.A is 3.49 / 5.00, My question is what do you say your IQ is? What do you rate your self? Do you believe in that piece of paper than you believe in yourself? or is this the fear of starting from bottom, or have you emotionally and sentimentally fill yourself up with the grade as a yastick to your excelling in life. O Boy stop this crap, you should have ended that dissapointment with a bottle of beer and by now be moving on. Not to talk of even taking it outside or writing it on the walls of nairaland. My candid advice, develop yourself and believe in what you put in yourself and not what others say or evaluate you on. Yes, your Next Question, but I cannot get a good placement with a 2.49, yes get the bad placement and let the real you who you have made us believe rise to the good placement, stop behaving like a baby. blunt though, that's the way I see it.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Raxxye(m): 8:01am On May 19, 2012
redcliff:

He sed 3.48. But the poster did not have a 3.48 except he made a mistake. He also sed he was heartbroken. My question is for who? The poster or his own result when he saw it?

Bros, na wa to you o! Is it not obvious he is trying to encourage the OP by sharing his own experience? Maybe he should say it in your dialect!

1 Like

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by ghm: 8:02am On May 19, 2012
@poster. I feel you because I experienced similar feelings. You can imaging on the day of graduation when all your colleagues were coming to shake you and wishing you all the best in life! Some saying they can never accept but fight it out and other similar unguided statements. That was a few years ago. Today, I work For a multinational oil company.

other posters had offeredvery valuable information, just use them to map out your strategy. Here is how I went about mne.

1.I registered for an MBA immediately ( after an engineering degree, perhaps because of banks, I can't remember again.)
2. I didn't even apply for any job with 2:1 tag, because I know we are so many in Nigeria and I don't want to get any depression. What I did was to look for a job with minimum of a 2:2 tag or 2:2 with a master tag. To my surprise, I started getting some fantastic ones. I approached them like this is for me and I got them. In one of the interviews I attended then, we were 24 at the last stage, 3 of us were 1:1; 18 were 2:1 and 3 were 2:2. Could you believe that only 3 were taken and 2 of us got 2:2.

need to mention that I also used to state it in my CVs as previous posters mentioned I.e. B.Sc. electrical/Electronics Engineering ( Second Class Hons. lower Division CGPA 3.49/5.00)
I also need to mention that I got 4 great jobs( Int'l oil company, Central Bank, Diamond Bank, Halloburton) that I can build my career around at the same time and I had to choose which one to go for.

So, as you work, I need to also remind you that the effect will reverberate all through your career, you may not be able to apply for jobs that still demand for 1:1 or 2:1 with a number of years of experience. You will need to always disaster-proof your career by proficiency and certifications, infallible self development. With this and God's favor shy will be your limit.

i wish all the bestin life!

5 Likes

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by damilola15: 8:02am On May 19, 2012
I would like to know what the OPs subject area was. You can't compare a 3.49 Science/Engineering to 3.49 in some social Science/arts course.
All the same, it's normal to brood over such things but never forget to come out of it feeling motivated and more determined.
Wish you the best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by icon2: 8:07am On May 19, 2012
Okoya: All my efforts ended with a CGPA 3.49..... what's
my fate in the market? Maybe I should just get a
transcript. This Is so painful. Please I need words
of encouragement.

my 2 cent.... Just write ' Second class honors ' in your cv dont be specific on lower or upper. They will always think its upper and invite you for interview. Where you will have one on one chance to prove your worth.... It did the magic for me... I am now working
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Mcleo007(m): 8:08am On May 19, 2012
tanimola22:

@OP
This happened to someone I knew back in the days. Very annoying and depressing.

I would especially stress the 3.49 CGPA on my CV because, although the degree class does not change, a 2.2 of 3.49 is clearly different from a 2.2 of 2.59.

OP, on your job CV, write:

BSc(Hons) Geophysics/whatever you studied
Grade: 3.49/5.00. Let them go figure the class of degree themselves. If you just write 2.2, you will be lumped together with those with 2.52 kind of 2.2.

Many people with boundary 2:1 never include their CGPAs on their CVs. Similarly, many people with boundary 1:1 never include their CGPAs on their CVs. In my view, the people that proudly include their CGPAs on their CVs are those that have well above the minimum required to attain a particular degree class. OP, you fall in the latter category.

All the best mate!

T22.

There goes mr. Tanimola with yet another incisive brief. Keep it up sir. You are appreciated.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by temmy6996(m): 8:12am On May 19, 2012
Wasted 2:2.jst b optimistic abt life.i can bet u,if u dnt posses wat u put on ur cv,then u r nt gud enof.there r so many first class who cant do wat a third class can do.wish u d best in life
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Jaymarius(f): 8:17am On May 19, 2012
You have tried ur best,nd ur best has earned you this..You can make it with your CGPA only if u believe you can.But the problem could be YOU.If u keep brooding ova ds,there's tendency dt u'll end up being depressed.Forget about the CGPA,nd make moves dt'll upgrade you.If there's a place meant for u @ d top,no one can stop u,not even ur CGPA..Shake d dust off,nd move on.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by icon2: 8:23am On May 19, 2012
johnkenty:

I had a similar experience in Nija back then, graduating with 3.48, I must tell u i was heart broken. No thanks to those our lousy lecturers....but to me it was a blessing in disguise cos it made me to truly discover my potentials. After NYSC, i quickly enrolled for my Msc in Pet. Geology in Naija..not even UK *cos I dont have the finace* after which I got an opportunity to do a 12month post grad. Internship with one of our multinationals..i worked a few months after my internship with them before getting an offer with an Oil and gas firm in UAE as an expatriat...even there other job offers keep coming up... So buddy i was blessing cos if i have had a 2:1 may i will be in one bank now
did i fail to mention that I was the best graduating PG student with a CGPA of 4.75/5.0

Very gud advice! @poster: u nid to place an advantage on ur CV, get an MSc if u r seeking a paid job(though u stil ve nt told us watt u studied) or beta stil make ursef an Entrepreneur broda because dose jobs r getting even fewer evryday even for dudes wit 1st class & 2.1, all d best.
@CONYEMA12: pls cld u gimme a call on 07040205388 or eazylifejk@yahoo.com. Maybe yu cld as well gimme ur email addr or contact. Need to discuss smtin wit yu tanks! cool

Can I also email you... I work with an oil servicing firm though a small one but would love to step higher... Cheers
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Nobody: 8:29am On May 19, 2012
Okoya: I've not yet made up my mind..... I'm still trying to come over the disappointment
ingrate, u get 3.49 and u dey vex. Some have food but cant eat,sme can eat but have no food
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by imparable7(m): 8:39am On May 19, 2012
hmm
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by yuzedo: 8:45am On May 19, 2012
ƪoƪ! Frustrating innit?
I came out with a 3.48 and even tho I tried to behave indifferent and non-challant about it I was dying inside (especially when I saw all the idiot 2.6's and 2.7's celebrating a "wonderful result". . I was like, Zap, u mean I'm in the same cadre as them?? grin
My then girlfriend broke up with me cos she was 1st class & felt I had no future.
My father told me, "come back home son, I'm proud of you". .
Well, with my humble 3.48 cgpa I now work with a foreign firm. Private equity no less. (Exclusive industry so to speak). My father didn't know how I got the job. I did several tests (and failed) grin until I was called for this coy's tests/interviews and beat off all other contenders. smiley
When u are naturally intelligent, nothing can stop your destiny. Cgpa is a reflection of discipline and intelligence, not the latter exclusively.
w

1 Like

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by jintex(m): 8:47am On May 19, 2012
go develop ur sef!
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by suskumayaya(m): 8:56am On May 19, 2012
@OP, what informed you that its your CGPA that will guarantee your success in life? Haven't you heard/seen people with little education in enviable positions? Look inward.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by lurkee(f): 8:58am On May 19, 2012
Like others have said you should include your GPA in your result. I am probably in the minority of people thinking "He has a good result". See, in the UK your CGPA of 3.48 translates to 69.8% and a lot of universities will give you a first class with that result. Makes me wonder what standard the universities in Britain are operating on.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by niyistic(m): 9:05am On May 19, 2012
@Okoya: why do u bury ur self before ur death? For the fact that u have 3,49/5 does not mean u can get a nice/good job. Am a living example. I graduated with 2.93/4 in my HND. I stated it there in my CV. On the interview day the recruiter asked me what was my problem that i couldn't make it upper credit. I explained myself. Thank God 2day, am very ok. So don't loose hope.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Basic(m): 9:08am On May 19, 2012
Raxxye:

Bros, na wa to you o! Is it not obvious he is trying to encourage the OP by sharing his own experience? Maybe he should say it in your dialect!
Just leave him alone, I said it earlier that he needs an interpreter.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by ishmael(m): 9:13am On May 19, 2012
Do not bother urself much, just keep struggling. U could also think of running ur own biz or consultancy, and that will distinguish u from other graduates. Mind u, ur case is better than that of people with 3rd class or pass degree and people with HND (distinction or upper) who may never get the opportunity of attending some interviews or tests.
Re: Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? by Nobody: 9:14am On May 19, 2012
Don't even begin that self-flagellation simply because you made a 2'2! Private universities churn out more first class and second class upper graduates than u can hope to count, but what matters in today's market is your ability to deliver, not the grade. And pls, if you're not skilled yet, get something to do about that fast! Nothing wrong with being entrepreneurial, and its not your grade from a bad belle department/institution that determines your success. That's just my 2kobo sha.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

COVID-19: 8,000 Redivivus Workers Sacked In Anambra / How Do You Determine Seniority With Staff On The Same Level And Step? / Two Ghanaian Nurses Sacked For Ignoring Patients To Have A Facebook Live Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.