Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,650 members, 7,962,115 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 11:09 PM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (11251916 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (20008) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 12:19pm On May 23, 2012
Ibime:

Guy, stop yarning opaks.

Chelsea would swap all their wingers for Lennon and Bale immediately!!!!

VDV and Mata is either or.

Adebayor produced FAR MORE than Shekpe keeper and DD who combined might not even threaten Adebayors figures. . . 18 goals and 12 assists in just 36 games.

Kyle Walker is far better than our right-back.

On all attacking indexes, every Chelsea fan would swap our attacking players for theirs.

Please dont talk about Valencia. Spurs is not Wigan!!!

Modric was let down by misfits?

Do you know how many times shekpe keeper has let down his suppliers?

what about the defence? would you swap cech + terry + cahill for friedel + king + kaboul?
seeing that chelsea triumphed against barcelona/bayern by their dogged defending not
by any attacking play, can you now see how moronic you are to be expecting modric to stop
tottenham from losing when he has a bunch of misfits in goal?

take it or leave it, modric is a better player than lampard.
i see how you have left the issues of their stats alone and now relying on espn
who cannot provide how they came about 9.5 for lampard and 7.0 for modric. how you
managed to cop a degree is baffling.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 12:20pm On May 23, 2012
coogar:

modric was moved everywhere this season, he played in 5 different positions. he had more
excuses than lampard not to perform and yet he trumped fat frank.

What does moving position mean.

He played 85% of games in no4 position

Reminds me of Nateevs silly arguments about Gerrard being able to play here, there and everywhere so must be better than Lampard.

Luis Enrique holds the distinction of being able to play 10 positions on the pitch, yet he will never be a legend at Barca like Xavi who only plays the one position.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 12:26pm On May 23, 2012
coogar:
what about the defence? would you swap cech + terry + cahill for friedel + king + kaboul?
seeing that chelsea triumphed against barcelona/bayern by their dogged defending not
by any attacking play, can you now see how moronic you are to be expecting modric to stop
tottenham from losing when he has a bunch of misfits in goal?

So the defence is what affects Modric's attacking stats?

Sauron, you need help!

Modric is not effective in protecting his defence.

Kaboul is one of the best CBs this season. Kyle is the best RB, King is untouchable when fit and Ekotto is top 5 left-back.

It is Modric in front of them who is not protecting

coogar:
take it or leave it, modric is a better player than lampard.
i see how you have left the issues of their stats alone and now relying on espn
who cannot provide how they came about 9.5 for lampard and 7.0 for modric. how you
managed to cop a degree is baffling.

Modric is a better player than Lampard?

Mad Man!!!

Lampard has touched heights in the last ten years that are mere pipe dreams to Modric, whether scoring 20+ goals for 8 consecutive seasons, finishing in umpteen UEFA teams of the year, UEFA Midfielder of the year several times, 15 and more assists on many occassion, Ballon D'or runner-up, 20 goals away from Chelsea all-time goals record(unbelieveable feat for a midfielder), UCL, 4 FA Cups, 3 EPL's etc etc etc

You are accusing me of avoiding stats. . . OPTA stats labelled Lamps the greatest player in premiership history according to stats.

What is Modric achievement in life apart from being hailed for small DAGBOSE to escape from trouble in midfield.

Sauron, you are a MAD MAN to even compare nonsense!!!!

You think all this achievements are achieved by mere DAGBOSE?

Modric DAGBOSE because of small size to avoid being tackled whilst Sandro simply barge through whoever tries to challenge him. The net result is the same, yet Coogar and Nateevs do summersault for Modric.

Trust me, the way Moussa Dembele is playing in central midfield these days, it wont be long before he is outshining Modric, yet effectiveness is still lacking in both their cases.

Pay attention to the quote by soccernet. The point in bold applies to you and Nateevs:

Many have tried to belittle Lampard throughout his career and yet the reality is that this 33-year-old should be hailed as the ultimate Chelsea hero

Crase man!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 1:17pm On May 23, 2012
Ibime:
What does moving position mean.
He played 85% of games in no4 position
Reminds me of Nateevs silly arguments about Gerrard being able to play here, there and everywhere so must be better than Lampard.

modric is better, more versatile, produced more attacking/defending
stats than lampard!!!

Luis Enrique holds the distinction of being able to play 10 positions on the pitch, yet he will never be a legend at Barca like Xavi who only plays the one position.

you're so silly... xavi is primarily a central midfielder, enrique is primarily a left back.

Ibime:
So the defence is what affects Modric's attacking stats?
Sauron, you need help!

how's modric attacking stats affected when he trumped lampard
in every attacking stat available!

Modric is a better player than Lampard?
Mad Man!!!

much much better.
the lampard i have seen in the last 2 seasons is dross.
you would see how he puts england into more trouble in europe next month.

Lampard has touched heights in the last ten years that are mere pipe dreams to Modric, whether scoring 20+ goals for 8 consecutive seasons, finishing in umpteen UEFA teams of the year, UEFA Midfielder of the year several times, 15 and more assists on many occassion, Ballon D'or runner-up, 20 goals away from Chelsea all-time goals record(unbelieveable feat for a midfielder), UCL, 4 FA Cups, 3 EPL's etc etc etc

having scored from 40 penalty kicks for chelsea in the premier league alone, it's easy for him
to have copped that stats. besides, lampard plays for a superior team. a team abramovic has spent
more than £1 billion on top and had jose mourinho(one of the best managers in the business) so how
won't lampard post such? you are comparing chelsea to tottenham? you're a disgrace!

You are accusing me of avoiding stats. . . OPTA stats labelled Lamps the greatest player in premiership history according to stats.
What is Modric achievement in life apart from being hailed for small DAGBOSE to escape from trouble in midfield.
Sauron, you are a MAD MAN to even compare nonsense!!!!
You think all this achievements are achieved by mere DAGBOSE?
Modric DAGBOSE because of small size to avoid being tackled whilst Sandro simply barge through whoever tries to challenge him. The net result is the same, yet Coogar and Nateevs do summersault for Modric.

you are a tool! who is talking about premier league history.
we are talking about this season and your recent extrapolation?

Trust me, the way Moussa Dembele is playing in central midfield these days, it wont be long before he is outshining Modric, yet effectiveness is still lacking in both their cases. Pay attention to the quote by soccernet. The point in bold applies to you and Nateevs:
Many have tried to belittle Lampard throughout his career and yet the reality is that this 33-year-old should be hailed as the ultimate Chelsea hero
Crase man!

soccernet is a shyte site. american site analysing football. what do they know?
lamapard's worst season and they are giving me 9.5/10. what a disgrace!!!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 1:40pm On May 23, 2012
coogar:
you're so silly... xavi is primarily a central midfielder, enrique is primarily a left back.

I shoulda known Im arguring with a charlatan neophyte.

Perhaps your experience of Luis Enrique is limited to Spain vs Nigeria in France 98.

Luis Enrique was an attacking midfielder/winger who was world renowned for being able to play right-back, centre-back, left-back, central-midfield, right and left mid, forward etc etc. . . all positions on the pitch except goalie.

His usual position was attacking midfield (usually to the right).

Yet the analogy holds. . . I dont care how many positions Modric can play. Lampard is still better.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by debosky(m): 2:46pm On May 23, 2012
nateevs:
And you know this how?
Can you kindly discuss how you've come to this conclusion?

The results speak for themselves - when Arsenal squandered 2 points against Norwich, it set up nicely for Spurs to take advantage and go into the last day of the season in 3rd place. They went to relegation threatened Villa the day after and choked. Modric and his colleagues huffed and puffed, and even with 19 corners and 21 shots, they could only muster a goal, and even that came from a penalty. Sounds similar to another bunch of chokers who messed up in Munich.

And please don't give the 10 man excuse - Lamps and Chelski were down to 10 men against the best team in the world, not some abysmally awful Villa side, yet Lamps was able to judiciously use one of the rare forays forward to set up Ramires for a goal, all that in a period where they were playing a game every 4 days, while Spurs were ONLY competing for the CL slot at this time.

Both sides in a similar position - on the cusp of a major achievement - Lamps delivers in one, Modric fails to deliver in the other.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 3:21pm On May 23, 2012
Ibime:

I shoulda known Im arguring with a charlatan neophyte.

Perhaps your experience of Luis Enrique is limited to Spain vs Nigeria in France 98.

Luis Enrique was an attacking midfielder/winger who was world renowned for being able to play right-back, centre-back, left-back, central-midfield, right and left mid, forward etc etc. . . all positions on the pitch except goalie.

His usual position was attacking midfield (usually to the right).

Yet the analogy holds. . . I dont care how many positions Modric can play. Lampard is still better.

the charlatan speaketh.....after getting trounced by statistics that put
his original post into the bin. modric whupped lampard's arse in the league.
modric's tottenham finished above chelsea in the league.

chelsea in the cup competitions don't count....they defeated tottenham @ wembley
controversially after ghost goals were given or when petr cech should have been
sent off for professionally fouling adebayor for the goal.

lampard's chelsea finished 6th in the league, tottenham finished 4th!

debosky:

The results speak for themselves - when Arsenal squandered 2 points against Norwich, it set up nicely for Spurs to take advantage and go into the last day of the season in 3rd place. They went to relegation threatened Villa the day after and choked. Modric and his colleagues huffed and puffed, and even with 19 corners and 21 shots, they could only muster a goal, and even that came from a penalty. Sounds similar to another bunch of chokers who messed up in Munich.

And please don't give the 10 man excuse - Lamps and Chelski were down to 10 men against the best team in the world, not some abysmally awful Villa side, yet Lamps was able to judiciously use one of the rare forays forward to set up Ramires for a goal, all that in a period where they were playing a game every 4 days, while Spurs were ONLY competing for the CL slot at this time.

Both sides in a similar position - on the cusp of a major achievement - Lamps delivers in one, Modric fails to deliver in the other.

in that wise, ozil is better than xavi/iniesta.
xavi on the cusp of a major achievement of catching real madrid in the league, failed to beat madrid at nou camp.
messi on the cusp of a major achievement of playing in another champions league final, failed to beat chelsea at nou camp
despite playing 10 men chelsea for 1 hr.....

in a nutshell,
debosky speaking idiotically feels drogba is a better striker than messi because of what is at stake at nou camp!!!
your idiocy on these pages has been peerless.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 3:54pm On May 23, 2012
debosky:

Come on Debo!
How many times in previous seasons has Arsenal failed to take advantage of rivals slipping up?
What exactly did that say about Fabregas?

By your logic, Bayern huffed and puffed with 43 shots and 20 corners, they could only muster a goal; therefore Malouda must be better than Robben. Barcelona on the cusp of a major achievement, Messi blows a pen, Ramies scores a wonder goal that keeps Chelsea in the tie, therefore, Ramires should bench Messi.

Haba Debo!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 4:27pm On May 23, 2012
nateevs:
Come on Debo!
How many times in the previous seasons has Arsenal failed to take advantage of rivals slipping up?

By your logic, Bayern huffed and puffed with 43 shots and 20 corners, they could only muster a goal; therefore Malouda must be better than Robben. Barcelona on the cusp of a major achievement, Messi blows a pen, Ramies scores a wonder goal that keeps Chelsea in the tie, therefore, Ramires should bench Messi.

Haba Debo!

yes, that's their logic(ibime and debosky), 2 filthy fat fools.
drogba is better than messi, ramirez is better than fabregas.......
mata & lampard are better than xavi and iniesta.......hell, di matteo is better than pep guardiola!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by debosky(m): 7:49pm On May 23, 2012
nateevs:
Come on Debo!
How many times in previous seasons has Arsenal failed to take advantage of rivals slipping up?

How often has Arsenal been one win away from winning the title, in the penultimate game of the season? If you can show me Cesc messing up at that moment, then I'll agree with you.

Furthermore, in arguably the most vital of games, Fabregas came on the pitch and delivered the world cup winning assist. There's no comparison.

You've started comparing apples and oranges again. Robben is one of the first names on the team sheet for Bayern and one of the biggest contributors to their season, is Malouda the same? What did Malouda in terms of vital goals and assists, provide in Chelski's CL run?

Your comparison of Messi and Ramires is equally off the mark - they play completely different roles, or is Ramires now a false 9 that scored 40 goals last season?

Before you continue making these wrong comparisons, this is what I said:

[quoteThat is the true measure of player - consistent performances over the season AND an ability to deliver when the stakes are highest. Modric lacks the latter.][/quote]

Both consistent performances and delivering at the crucial moments - instead, you've taken that to imply I'm judging on the crucial moments alone.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by debosky(m): 7:52pm On May 23, 2012
coogar:
in that wise, ozil is better than xavi/iniesta.
xavi on the cusp of a major achievement of catching real madrid in the league, failed to beat madrid at nou camp.
messi on the cusp of a major achievement of playing in another champions league final, failed to beat chelsea at nou camp
despite playing 10 men chelsea for 1 hr.....

I know you're dyslexic - both consistent performances AND delivering at the vital moment is the issue here, not just the crucial moment.

debosky speaking idiotically feels drogba is a better striker than messi because of what is at stake at nou camp!!!
your idiocy on these pages has been peerless.

You can't read - Drogba was rubbish for most of the season, so such a comparison cannot even be made.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by ritchboy(m): 7:58pm On May 23, 2012
You know, i was completely sold on Modric 18 months ago, but after closer analysis i realized(like other people have) the boy has a conspicuous tendency to disappear during games for no apparent reason.

@Debosky,

This your logic is beer-parlor-esque cheesy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 8:00pm On May 23, 2012
debosky:
I know you're dyslexic - both consistent performances AND delivering at the vital moment is the issue here, not just the crucial moment.

yes...messi knew he had to deliver @ camp nou to stop chelsea from progressing.
xavi/iniesta knew they had to beat real madrid at nou camp to save some pride and put
themselves back in the title race. you cannot blame modric and leave messi/xavi/iniesta.

this is why i think you are a raving simpleton!

You can't read - Drogba was rubbish for most of the season, so such a comparison cannot even be made.

lampard was also rubbish for most of the season according to lord ibime.
he claims this is lampard's worst season....
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by debosky(m): 8:08pm On May 23, 2012
coogar:

yes...messi knew he had to deliver @ camp nou to stop chelsea from progressing.
xavi/iniesta knew they had to beat real madrid at nou camp to save some pride and put
themselves back in the title race. you cannot blame modric and leave messi/xavi/iniesta.

this is why i think you are a raving simpleton!

I repeat, CONSISTENT performances AND at crucial moments. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta have done so countless times this season already - they've already this season.

If they failed at one point after winning 2 back to back titles, but still won other things (and may still win Copa del Rey) then it is not the same thing.

Please tell me what Modric won for Spurs. grin

lampard was also rubbish for most of the season according to lord ibime.
he claims this is lampard's worst season....

He was under par compared to previous seasons, but he was still the highest goal scorer, despite all the issues he had.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 8:26pm On May 23, 2012
debosky:

I repeat, CONSISTENT performances AND at crucial moments. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta have done so countless times this season already - they've already this season.

If they failed at one point after winning 2 back to back titles, but still won other things (and may still win Copa del Rey) then it is not the same thing.

what has van persie won for arsenal in the last 7 seasons?
surely, obafemi martins must be better than him as martins won the carling
cup for birmingham - van persie was @ the cusp of achievement to deliver
arsenal from their drought but it was martins who carried the day.

if you reason like a goat, i would treat you like a hilly-billy.

He was under par compared to previous seasons, but he was still the highest goal scorer, despite all the issues he had.

the highest goal scorer? it says it all really that a midfielder whose
stats was pumped by set-pieces is chelsea's highest scorer. lampard contributed
nothing in the league.....virtually nothing to be compared to modric.

go and read my stats again.....modric shat on lampard in epic proportions.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 8:52pm On May 23, 2012
debosky:

Please tell me what Alan Shearer won for Newcastle.
Does that in anyway mean Alan is below par or quaked under the pressure?

You could have turned back after the initial beer parlour analysis, now you are making it worse by trying to tell us 'only' where it applies.

That is the true measure of player - consistent performances over the season AND an ability to deliver when the stakes are highest. Modric lacks the latter.

The only one way you can come to this conclusion is if you watch every game Spurs play. Against Chelsea for example, I remember Modric being played on the left of midfield. Harry usually does this against the top four sides. This is so he can add some steel in midfield with Sandro and Parker. Then he plays only one of Bale and Lennon. You wouldn't expect Modric to perform like he would against small teams when played in his preferred deep lying position. Lampard never plays on the left of midfield.

Secondly, players' roles differ. My question is how do you come to this conclusion? What exactly do you expect Modric to do that he doesn't in big games?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by debosky(m): 9:55pm On May 23, 2012
nateevs:
Please tell me what Alan Shearer won for Newcastle.
Does that in anyway mean Alan is below par or quaked under the pressure?

Don't jump around in arguments - the comment about trophies is related to the daft comparison between Xavi/Iniesta and Modric.

I did not say you needed to be a trophy winner, and my point about Modric highlights this view - I was talking about him choking at a crucial moment where his contribution was needed to achieve a specific goal (3rd place in the case for Spurs).

The only one way you can come to this conclusion is if you watch every game Spurs play. Against Chelsea for example, I remember Modric being played on the left of midfield. Harry usually does this against the top four sides. This is so he can add some steel in midfield with Sandro and Parker. Then he plays only one of Bale and Lennon. You wouldn't expect Modric to perform like he would against small teams when played in his preferred deep lying position. Lampard never plays on the left of midfield.

You're wrong - I've given Modric his due - his performances over the season were fairly consistent, BUT he failed at a crucial moment - that's the point.

The crucial game I mentioned was that against Aston Villa - they are not a big team. Did he not play in his so called 'preferred' position? Instead all he did was play duff corner kicks (19 no less) which all resulted in zilch.

Secondly, players' roles differ. My question is how do you come to this conclusion? What exactly do you expect Modric to do that he doesn't in big games?

I expect him to deliver at crucial moments. At 1-1 in the penultimate game of the season against a relegation threatened Villa and CL qualification at stake, big players step up and deliver. Modric did not. Surely that isn't too complicated to understand.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 10:10pm On May 23, 2012
debosky:
Don't jump around in arguments - the comment about trophies is related to the daft comparison between Xavi/Iniesta and Modric.
I did not say you needed to be a trophy winner, and my point about Modric highlights this view - I was talking about him choking at a crucial moment where his contribution was needed to achieve a specific goal (3rd place in the case for Spurs).

oh please, spare us these details.
they also faced a club who were fighting relegation....
tottenham did well to stay above chelsea and liverpool in the league.
had chelsea not won the champions league, you won't be spewing this nonsense.

tottenham had their best season ever - playing good football consistently.

You're wrong - I've given Modric his due - his performances over the season were fairly consistent, BUT he failed at a crucial moment - that's the point.

The crucial game I mentioned was that against Aston Villa - they are not a big team. Did he not play in his so called 'preferred' position? Instead all he did was play duff corner kicks (19 no less) which all resulted in zilch.

he was better than lampard - qed.
you don't rate a player based on one game.....you evaluate a player throughout
the course of the season. who had the better performance over the season?
modric or lampard?

I expect him to deliver at crucial moments. At 1-1 in the penultimate game of the season against a relegation threatened Villa and CL qualification at stake, big players step up and deliver. Modric did not. Surely that isn't too complicated to understand.

they finished 4th after 38 league games.....it was good enough to qualify them for the champions
league.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by debosky(m): 10:17pm On May 23, 2012
[quote author=coogar]

what has van persie won for arsenal in the last 7 seasons?

surely, obafemi martins must be better than him as martins won the carling
cup for birmingham - van persie was @ the cusp of achievement to deliver
arsenal from their drought but it was martins who carried the day.

You are an incorrigible mor0n. Was Martins consistent in that season? How many games did he play? I repeat - this isn't simply about winning trophies.

Again I return to my initial premise - consistent performances over the course of the season and delivering at crucial moments. Winning the title may be the crucial moment, but that's not the only crucial moment - others include maintaining league status, qualifying for Europe, etc.

RVP has had a consistent season of performances AND delivered at a crucial moment. Consider Arsenal vs Norwich: 70+ minutes and Arsenal were on the verge of losing the 3rd place spot, and RVP turned up with the goods and scored twice - his goals in that game got us the point that eventually got us 3rd place since our final day results were identical with the Spuds.

That's what a telling contribution at a crucial moment looks like.

the highest goal scorer? it says it all really that a midfielder whose
stats was pumped by set-pieces is chelsea's highest scorer. lampard contributed
nothing in the league.....virtually nothing to be compared to modric.

go and read my stats again.....modric shat on lampard in epic proportions.

The differences are marginal - the lack of delivery at crucial moments trumps the slightly better stats.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 10:23pm On May 23, 2012
debosky:

How exactly do you reach the conclusion that he failed?
Modric does not score goals like Lampard so you didn't expect him to score the goals needed.
Also an assist is a pass that a team mate converts to a goal. Meaning most times, an assist is heavily dependent on how prolific one's team mates are rather, than the assist maker themselves.

As the case is, Chelsea has more prolific players in front of goal than Tottenham does. If Modric takes 19 corner kicks and his team mates never converted one, how can that be deemed as Modric not stepping up when needed?

Everything's wrong with your logic. You have a lot of explaining to do else just wrap it up.

In your post above you cite an example using RVP. RVP's role is to score goals. Hence, his contribution at the crucial time is measurable. Modric's role in the team is not to score goals. If he does, it's a bonus. He is a deep lying play maker - which he played against Villa - which means his primary role is the continuity of flow in possession and finding the best positioned player for an attacking move.

My question therefore is what exactly in footballing terms did you expect Modric to do? For you to say he failed on the day, it means you saw him neglect his primary role.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 10:32pm On May 23, 2012
debosky:
You are an incorrigible mor0n. Was Martins consistent in that season? How many games did he play? I repeat - this isn't simply about winning trophies.

you are a douche-bag.....what's not consistent about martins that season?
he was on loan and he contributed towards birmingham winning that trophy.

Again I return to my initial premise - consistent performances over the course of the season and delivering at crucial moments. Winning the title may be the crucial moment, but that's not the only crucial moment - others include maintaining league status, qualifying for Europe, etc.

so lampard produced consistent performance over the course of the season?
frank lampard that was on the verge of moving away from chelsea to man utd in january?
you are a slimy twerp!

RVP has had a consistent season of performances AND delivered at a crucial moment. Consider Arsenal vs Norwich: 70+ minutes and Arsenal were on the verge of losing the 3rd place spot, and RVP turned up with the goods and scored twice - his goals in that game got us the point that eventually got us 3rd place since our final day results were identical with the Spuds.

same as modric, his assists here and there contributed to taking spurs to the 4th position.
if you are comparing tottenham and chelsea based on winning trophies then you're a troglodyte.

every club has it's limits. a 4th place finish for spurs is not the same as a 4th place finish for united.
chelsea are a bigger club than tottenham - chelsea have a far bigger chance of winning trophies than tottenham.

spurs would celebrate a 4th place finish than united would even celebrate a premier league title(which has become tasteless for fergie's men due to the number of times they keep winning it). tottenham still finished 4th but the uefa rule of defending champions of champions league getting an automatic group stage berth did them in.

That's what a telling contribution at a crucial moment looks like.
his telling contribution would be his goal against bolton away where
tottenham took all the 3 points. without his contribution in that game,
they wouldn't have finished 4th. tottenham finished exactly where they
should have finished. stop making it sound as if finishing 4th was a let down for them.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by debosky(m): 10:46pm On May 23, 2012
coogar:
tottenham finished exactly where they
should have finished. stop making it sound as if finishing 4th was a let down for them.

But it was a let down - they talked virtually all season about wanting to finish 3rd and be in the CL - they knew only 3rd would guarantee CL footie and they didn't get it.

Besides, I'll take Redknapp's words over yours: "I want to finish third, I want to finish above Arsenal and Chelsea. That's what we're capable of doing and that's where I want us to be."
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 10:54pm On May 23, 2012
debosky:

But it was a let down - they talked virtually all season about wanting to finish 3rd and be in the CL - they knew only 3rd would guarantee CL footie and they didn't get it.

Besides, I'll take Redknapp's words over yours: "I want to finish third, I want to finish above Arsenal and Chelsea. That's what we're capable of doing and that's where I want us to be."

i want to know when he said this......
alan pardew also dreamt of finishing 2nd or 3rd, we all know how it ended for them.
so by your estimation, newcastle didn't have a good season?

upstarts like tottenham and newcastle don't really have tall dreams. if they finish
2nd or 3rd, they would take it but if they finish 4th or 5th, it's still a good season.

how many times has tottenham won a trophy or finish in the top 4 for it to be a let
down for them? fact still remains chelsea, man utd, man city and arsenal are bigger than
tottenham and would finish above tottenham every day of the week.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by debosky(m): 11:47pm On May 23, 2012
He said it in March - is that close enough for you? grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 12:02am On May 24, 2012
I hope Abramovic and Michael Emenalo know that decision making is a footballers greatest asset.

Coming on the back of their ludicrously inept decision not to back RDM, they have gone and put in a £32m bid for this guy. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL4_xKrs2Xw

. . . please watch how the guy Dagbose the whole field yet never lifts his head once and is even unable to square ball across for his team-mates to tap-in.

Its like watching Victor Moses, Salomon Kalou, Theo Walcott, Pius Ikedia and Okocha (if he had no vision) all rolled into one.

We already have this player at our club. . . .their names are Kalou, Gael Kakuta, Danny Sturridge and Marko Marin.

Now contrast with this video (taken over only half-a-season) of a young man (rated £12m by his club) in Holland called Ola John. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJRpZUI47A

Notice how every move ends with a pinpoint delivery and an assist.

Notice how he always runs with his head up.

He does not have to dribble the whole field, just one man. . . and he sets up a goal.

Whats more, he's strong, full of stamina and can defend very well.

Please, if Lucas Moura is the kind of "team rebuilding" and spending spree that Chelsea is admittedly about to embark on, I fear that we are in for a glorious summer of wastage.

I thought the wages for Hazard and fees for Modric are too much, but I will take expensive quality over expensive dross like Lucas Moura. . . if thats the case, sign those guys up before Abramovic and Emenalo waste our transfer funds for the next 5 seasons.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 12:04am On May 24, 2012
debosky: He said it in March - is that close enough for you? grin

that was the day they lost 3-1 to man utd at white hart lane!

even after the result, they were 4 points ahead of arsenal and they
were in the 3rd position. they had punched above their weight to
get that far up the table and when natural order was restored, they
went back to their level.

arsenal on the other hand started so poorly and clawed their way
back to 4th position. a ploy wenger masterminded to give arsenal
fans a false sense of hope. wenger played shyte tactics in the first
half of the season then rectified his problems.

it's like united playing enyimba and going 4-0 down in the first half
only for fergie to engineer his men to score 5 goals in the 2nd half.
the fans would laud the performance for the come back but should united
have gone 4 goals down in the first place?

if united had scored 5 goals in the first half with enyimba staging a comeback
to end it 5-4, the fans would be calling for fergie's head. wenger knew arsenal
fans would have asked for more had he maintained the 3rd position all season long
so he created despair by languishing in the 10th position for long periods then creeping
back to their level at 3rd position to give charlatans like debosky his [i]o[/i]rgasm.

arsenal have now become a club that is satisfied with finishing 3rd or 4th when their
main objective should be winning the title.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 9:20am On May 24, 2012
Just to remind United, Bayern and Arsenal fans that this is the thread of champs cool
No silly arguments will be entertained henceforth.

Now that DD is gone the dud has no excuse not to perform.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dare2think: 10:37am On May 24, 2012
Bosingwa and Kalou on their way out!!!

Though out of form, still appreciated their efforts, at least they too will leave as champions!

Why do I feel some people still need to go? Essien, Malouda,Ferriera? not too sure about sturrigde (Dude might improve next season),

@Ibime

I agree with your assessment of those two players judging from those videos!

Ola John seem more like a team player and would fit well with Chelsea's agility and strength. does he play for Uterecht?

Not too sure about the other guy tho!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 11:12am On May 24, 2012
^^^Yeah bro, that guy playes for FC Twente. You might remember Collins John that played for Fulham, thats his junior brother. Im impressed when a young man (only 19) steps up and shows the composure of a seasoned professional, and his price range and effectiveness is exactly what the club should be aiming at in a sustainable manner. Whilst Lucas Moura has all the skill in the world, he is a blind player, and £32m is too big a risk for an unproven man straight from Brazil with a lot of deficiencies still in his game. Gone are the days when Brazilian talent first go to teams in Holland, Portugal etc to hone their skills before making big moves. Nowadays, they quote "World star" prices for unproven talent straight from Brazil. Moura reminds me so much of Quaresma, a player I so much loved only to discover that decision making was lacking in his game.

Meanwhile, is this true?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18185485

Florent Malouda, Michael Essien and Paulo Ferreira all have one year remaining at the club and are likely to be invited for new contract talks over the summer.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 12:04pm On May 24, 2012
Actually, If I am right about this, Ola John was linked with Chelsea a few months ago. Luuk De Jong was also being scouted at about the same time. I heard Emenalo went to watch him.

Lucas Moura reminds me of two words. . . . Theo Walcott. Unless he improves tremendously between now and when Roman signs him. (Well we all know that's probabaly going to happen unless Sao Paolo insist on £40m). As he's only 19, he could improve however at this point, it's a huge risk for the amount of money rejected already. I honestly thought the club has moved away from expensive signings to shrewd ones except for the likes of Hazard.

Ibime: Meanwhile, is this true?

Florent Malouda, Michael Essien and Paulo Ferreira all have one year remaining at the club and are likely to be invited for new contract talks over the summer.

I really doubt the story. If the likes of Kalou (I still consider him useful by the way) is being released, why would we offer Malouda a new contract. I will rather keep Kalou. Malouda, Essien and Paulo will leave the end of next season (if the club finds no buyer). The others with 2 years left, Terry, Lamps(will get one more year I believe), et al, end of 2013/14.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dare2think: 12:30pm On May 24, 2012
Ibime: ^^^Yeah bro, that guy playes for FC Twente. You might remember Collins John that played for Fulham, thats his junior brother. Im impressed when a young man (only 19) steps up and shows the composure of a seasoned professional, and his price range and effectiveness is exactly what the club should be aiming at in a sustainable manner. Whilst Lucas Moura has all the skill in the world, he is a blind player, and £32m is too big a risk for an unproven man straight from Brazil with a lot of deficiencies still in his game. Gone are the days when Brazilian talent first go to teams in Holland, Portugal etc to hone their skills before making big moves. Nowadays, they quote "World star" prices for unproven talent straight from Brazil. Moura reminds me so much of Quaresma, a player I so much loved only to discover that decision making was lacking in his game.

Meanwhile, is this true?

Malouda getting a renewed contract = foolishness
Paulo Ferreira getting a renewed contract= madness
Essien maybe 2years max

Oh, please dont remind me of quaresma! Worse than a dud!

Good to buy quality players, and if they are expensive then no problem. But we must not fall into the 'hype' drama which I believe Harzard represents!
The Ola guy seems like the exact type of guy we need on that right side, He'll definately bench our stingy sturridge!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 24, 2012
nateevs:
I really doubt the story. If the likes of Kalou (I still consider him useful by the way) is being released, why would we offer Malouda a new contract. I will rather keep Kalou. Malouda, Essien and Paulo will leave the end of next season (if the club finds no buyer). The others with 2 years left, Terry, Lamps(will get one more year I believe), et al, end of 2013/14.

Chelsea management are just clueless.
Buck, Gourlay and co are simly daft.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (20008) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ThierryJay, Ibime(m), nateevs(m), Lush100(m) and 19 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.