Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,929 members, 7,962,960 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 09:24 PM

Hail Storm In Abeokuta - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Hail Storm In Abeokuta (13114 Views)

Winter Storm Jonas: 2016 United States Blizzard In Photos. / My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. / All Hail The New Boeing 797 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by Bello555: 6:20am On May 04, 2012
It is very normal. I shcooled in jos and in all my 6years i spent there, i experienced hail storms evry year. Infact, it will shatter windscreens of cars, glass windows and even people sustain deep head and body injuries.

We use to even gather them and drink it in form of chilled water when it dissolved and used the chilled water to drink gari or mix jolly juice.

Its a normal phenomenon. It occurs mostly where there are rocks

1 Like

Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by Tingles(m): 6:20am On May 04, 2012
See these ajebutter people o, is it not the same "yinyin" we picked and melted in our mouths anytime it rained when we were growing up?
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by Nobody: 6:22am On May 04, 2012
heheheh @ ajebutta grin grin

Tingles: See these ajebutter people o, is it not the same "yinyin" we picked and melted in our mouths anytime it rained when we were growing up?
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by eherbal(m): 6:34am On May 04, 2012
Dynamiq: @Poster, please I want to ask: those things in the picture; are they really the things falling down from the sky in Abeokuta
yep.some women were even using them to ice their drinks

1 Like

Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by queenafric(f): 6:40am On May 04, 2012
What the OP said is true. My broda told me same thing yesterday and he was obviously surprised as he hasn't experienced such thing b4, but I kinda find it amusing cos he sound excited about it. Been telling he should go to Europe to experience d snow. Anyway, I av experienced hailstorm years back while on my way back from uni.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:44am On May 04, 2012
Experienced this before, once in lagos, about four times in ilorin kwara state. aint no biggie
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by brainpulse: 7:11am On May 04, 2012
Heaven is throwing stones at us for crimes against humanity shocked. And also giving us ice blocks to preserve our foods because of light problems smiley

3 Likes

Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by bisitunde: 7:30am On May 04, 2012
It happens almost every time it rains in jos,there is really nothing to it. For every 5 times it rains be sure of hailstorm at least once. On my way to jos from abuja on sunday I had to park my car due to zero visibility caused by hailstorm in Riyom town where every rainfall turns to hailstorm. Its a big deal only for people living in the hotter regions
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by Exponental(m): 7:38am On May 04, 2012
I wish i was there 2 witness.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by phreakabit(m): 7:40am On May 04, 2012
omega25red: thats not true it hails in jos. i have seen it with my own eyes

100% undiluted truth!
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by kennyone: 7:49am On May 04, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Any Ekitis in the house who had experienced this in Ekiti? I did!!
It was fun! I used to stcik out my tongue to catch those icicles. cheesy
yes o am from ekiti and have witnessed it
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by Nobody: 8:03am On May 04, 2012
Post modified by handler.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by aieromon(m): 8:13am On May 04, 2012
There was indeed a storm in Abeokuta yesterday.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by Nobody: 8:21am On May 04, 2012
Nice
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by degzy(m): 8:23am On May 04, 2012
Hail storm is not uncommon....ask the northerners, with high rocky landscape....happens often.

But the ones in ur pix are huge!! shocked

Ive witnessed it in abuja dou.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by enato(m): 8:32am On May 04, 2012
Hilarious every little thing that happens now is a reason for us to come to conclusion.if it is not end time it Illuminati... Nawao cheesy
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by Daunashamed(m): 8:34am On May 04, 2012
e-herbal:
yep.some women were even using them to ice their drinks
hahahahahahahahahaha
trust naija,we no dey slack to use any given oppurtunity
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by Okijajuju1(m): 8:37am On May 04, 2012
This is a normal occurence in Nigeria only that instead of it being seasonal, its widely spaced.

My mother told me about the day hail fell in Port-Harcourt way back in the late 70's/very early 80's. I thought she was lying, but I guess not.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by Raymond003: 8:54am On May 04, 2012
It might be designated sign of visitation of Abeokuta's sins by God.over its risual sin
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by blackboi(m): 8:56am On May 04, 2012
e-herbal:
I'm presently driving somewhere around kuto, in abeokuta and there's massive hail storm here.It's so strong,it's got people leaving their cars for shelter.To give you an idea.it's like having gravel poured on the roof of your vehicle from a four storey building.this is the second time I'm witnessing this anomaly.the first being around 1981 In Festac as a kid.Is this phenomenon normal,or a sign of the end time as predicted.2012

The gods must be funny in Abeokutacheesy
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by donigspain(m): 9:08am On May 04, 2012
@Nebeuwa... Thank you for that meteorologically insightful explanation. Am happy to have identified with a meteorologically interested mind like you. The phenomenon of Hail storm occurence within the tropics is quite possible but rare due to the effect of the high atmospheric temperature which tends to reduce the icing condition of water molecules during condensation. Just like Nebeuwa said, the dominant cloud of the said location as at the time of the hail storm must have been a super-cooled ice cloud. No need to panic!
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by donigspain(m): 9:22am On May 04, 2012
I must also clear the misconception as exhibited by most contributors. There is a meteorological difference between HAIL STONE/STORM and ICE PELETS. This difference is due to size. Hail stones are relatively bigger in diameter than ice pelets. The picture of the OP depicts hail stones and not ice pelets as some might think. One even made mention of sticking out his tongue! My God, do you want to have face reconstructive surgery? Hail storms are quite destructive unlike ice pelets.

3 Likes

Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by doublecross(m): 9:23am On May 04, 2012
i dont believe this lie. these things can not be ice. they look like something used for sacrifice.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by marvelck: 9:38am On May 04, 2012
It's a normal thing. it's even common in jos during raining season. there's nothing to be afraid of. People in Jos Plateau state are used to it. I've also witnessd it severally myself while in Jos. So, is a normal thing.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by AlusiOkija: 9:42am On May 04, 2012
donigspain: I must also clear the misconception as exhibited by most contributors. There is a meteorological difference between HAIL STONE/STORM and ICE PELETS. This difference is due to size. Hail stones are relatively bigger in diameter than ice pelets. The picture of the OP depicts hail stones and not ice pelets as some might think. One even made mention of sticking out his tongue! My God, do you want to have face reconstructive surgery? Hail storms are quite destructive unlike ice pelets.

Dont mind her. . Her name is Ileke Idi. . . Shes from Ekiti State so she is a born liar. . Thats how the other day, she said her family in Ekiti State are very rich. .
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by damilola15: 9:57am On May 04, 2012
End time. Is it? undecided
Them you guys must be lucky since God used fire to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by KINGwax(m): 10:11am On May 04, 2012
jason2010: OP are you sure that was in Abeokuta? Tennis ball hail stones in Abeokuta? You do realize that hail stones are ice? For which kind weather (over 90 degree farenheit) in Abeokuta is hail stones (again ice) gonna form? Abeg stop. grin
guy, i jst arrived from abeokuta today. It was real. And very fearful too cos it was heavy, not common and unexpected
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by LordReed(m): 10:16am On May 04, 2012
I've experienced hailstones in Abuja twice but not this size!
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by stagger: 10:19am On May 04, 2012
Happened in Abuja a few months ago, so no big deal.

It usually occurs when the temperature in the atmosphere becomes so cold that the rain drops actually freeze. If you live in mountainous areas like Jos, it is a fairly regular occurrence. A lot of comments here show that people do not know their Geography.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by freecocoa(f): 10:30am On May 04, 2012
It seems it doesn't hail in the east or what?

I remember experiencing it as a kid in Abuja.
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by freecocoa(f): 10:32am On May 04, 2012
doublecross: i dont believe this lie. these things can not be ice. they look like something used for sacrifice.
E be like say you need glasses o,has anyone told you so before?#justasking# cheesy
Re: Hail Storm In Abeokuta by yinbabs2k: 10:48am On May 04, 2012
Its

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LASTMA To Track Traffic Violators With Mobile Device / Study Or Work Visa, Which One Should He Go For? / FG Generates N5m From Abuja-kaduna Train Route In 2 Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.