Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,003 members, 7,963,265 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 08:50 AM

If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? (11770 Views)

Raising Positive Kids In A Negative World / Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? / How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by dasparrow: 7:07pm On Jun 02, 2012
PrettyCindy: I know two person who had to change their name; one was formally Maureen while the other was Endurance. In some cases people are told by their pastors to to change and even provide them with new names.
Those who bear Endurance or Patience are told that they will always encounter stumbling blocks to in their various endeavours, Maureen means darkness, Linda means snake and so on and the list continues........

My name means goddess of the sun, someone actually told me to change it or stop answering it but i didn't.
So what do you think about names with negative meaning. Did you ever change your name?

My name does not have a negative meaning but I am still contemplating changing it due to personal reasons I will not divulge here. I have not fully made up my mind yet but I have been thinking about it. When I told my brother of my possible intent to change my name, he said he will equally change his name too, lol
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by PrettyCindy(f): 7:35pm On Jun 02, 2012
Its far easier for ladies to change their names through marriage than guy.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by kcnwamuo: 7:43pm On Jun 02, 2012
I don't believe in that nonsense of whether a name follows one or not.Am an Ibo guy.I v cn one dt answered 'Egobekee',meaning 'foreign money or currency',yet til her death she nva had money nor did her children.God is d one dt guides everybody.Ok,if u wnt to be Mr President,y nt answer Goodluck Jonathan,or Rochas Okorocha 4 governor.D person dt s sayn dt 'Patience or Endurance' is nt good is really deformed upstairs.What s d name of Mr President's wife?Dame 'Patience' Jonathan.What about former American President George Bush' secretary of state,'Condolezza' Rice,dt 'Condolezza' is derived from 'CONDOLENSCE',yet she rose up 2 b d most powerful woman on earth.Anytn dt God says dt u would be,not even ordinary name can change it.Misery can come upon anyone no matter d name,tribe,belief,religion or language,even death itself.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by naylove(m): 9:22pm On Jun 02, 2012
ebamma: i dont think a name can change a man's destiny,only a man can change his destiny , have seen people answering the name success but are pushing wheelbarrow,have seen a man answering goodluck but is an okada man,to show u that a name cannot make or break a man,only a man can decide his destiny
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by naylove(m): 9:49pm On Jun 02, 2012
ebamma: i dont think a name can change a man's destiny,only a man can change his destiny , have seen people answering the name success but are pushing wheelbarrow,have seen a man answering goodluck but is an okada man,to show u that a name cannot make or break a maan,only a man can decide his destiny

the only goodluck i know na president.show me a wheelbarrow pushing goodluck and i'll show you a future mumu president.lol
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Nobody: 12:24am On Jun 03, 2012
yr name does nt determine yr stake in life. Who in life has neva endured 1 tin or d other in life and y does even d bible preach patience as a virtue. Georg bush wx nt president of d bush. Condoleza rice neva sold rice. Endurance as a name wil only inspire u to endure whteva plight or situation u find yr sef & hope for d best which wil definitely come if it is meant to be becos even people who bear blessin & riches wil definitely av to endure tryin tyms. Even if yr name literaly means some negatives, how does it control d spiritual or metaphysical.... Nigerians tend to be more whyt dan d britons... And our pastors tend to be more catholic dan d pope.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by tpia5: 1:22am On Jun 03, 2012
Georg bush wx nt president of d bush

for some reason, BEAF linked gej to the bush even though his name has nothing to do with bush.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Nobody: 8:34am On Jun 03, 2012
naylove:
the only goodluck i know na president.show me a wheelbarrow pushing goodluck and i'll show you a future mumu president.lol
thers he goes... No respect @ all..
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Pain(m): 12:57pm On Jun 03, 2012
Since when did linda connote snake or serpent? Why are we so intellectually lazy even with all the cheap access to google? Why are we like this? Why? Even maureen does not mean darkness! It simply connotes black. Are Africans not black? God help us! The real agents of darkness are those that distort facts and prevent access to truth and the freedom to engage in critical reasoning. One of such people are the so called 'pastors' of this age!
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by waice6571: 1:33pm On Jun 03, 2012
As for me, i believe that your name is your identity and believe me, your name most times represent you before your actual appearance. So if your name will not represent you well in your absence pls do away with such name. and again names can have spiritual bearing on the carier. So we need to be very careful with the name we answer. at least you committed no offence if you change a name that can ursher-in bad luck.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Ribaman(m): 9:50pm On Jun 03, 2012
Gbam! Well spoken,abi well written.
A name becomes a burden when we allow it, and ascribe more meaning to it.

slimyem: a name is a defining identity...nothing more.
I used to not like my surname when i was a kid because i thought it had something to do with a traditional diety.
Now,i don't care!
My name doesnt in no way define,who i am or who i will be..and i dom't wanna hear otherwise!
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Fredeco(m): 11:11am On Jun 07, 2012
Yes i will change it. Because good name its better than riches, and it affect.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fire Kills Five Children In Lagos / His Wife Always Ran away when ever they Exchange words (For Married people) / Attacked By Father- In -law For Catching My Wife Having An Affair.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.