Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,474 members, 7,937,399 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 12:23 AM

. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / . (1612 Views)

Free Advertising Promo For Web Designers On Nairaland / Please Suggest Best VPS Hosting Provider / What's The Best Web Hosting Provider In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 11, 2012
Re: . by DualCore1: 4:09pm On Jun 11, 2012
1. cPRemote
2. R1Soft

You can read more about them via Google.
I have more experience with cpremote so you can ask any questions you want on it. Note that it works best with WHM/cPanel.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jun 11, 2012
Re: . by DualCore1: 8:40pm On Jun 11, 2012
Yeap, you control it from your WHM. Its got its own interface and performs incremental backups daily, weekly, monthly...depending on what you set. You can restore accounts individually. Restore types include: full restore, email only restore, database only restore, files only restore. Its very easy to use. Its backs up to a remote server and uses little memory footprints.

Disadvantage:
1. Its not FREE, lol.... the cost is really nothing though considering its lifesaving role.

2. An attacker that is good enough to get into your main server may just be good enough to attack the backup server because you have to provide access to the remote backup server from within the WHM using public SSH keys. A more fitting solution will be for the backup server to be the one holding all the authentication in the whole handshake thing.

3. There is no multiple backup retention. So if you set daily backups to run by 11:30PM and an attacker punches your server at 11:20PM and overwrites many files....cpremote will innocently backup the hacked accounts by 11:30PM overwriting the clean backup. That's a pretty sick situation to be in.

2 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 11, 2012
Re: . by DualCore1: 11:05pm On Jun 11, 2012
ActiveMan:

That one na die oh..

but can i do the back up myself everyday instead of automatic backup?
The automatic backups run as a cron job and yea you can cancel all auto backups from the interface.
You cannot run a manual backup from the WHM interface but you can run a backup if you log into the server as root and run a single command for the manual backup.

The first time you run a manual backup it may take a while to complete depending on the size and number of accounts so its best for you to run the command in a screen. To do this, run the following commands:

install the screen utility if not already present
#yum install screen

to start a screen, give the screen any memorable name like "backup"
#screen -S backup

now you can run the manual backup and close the terminal.
You can always log back into the SSH terminal and see whts up in the screen using:
#screen -dr backup

I am assuming you have root access and are running on CentOS.
Re: . by Nobody: 12:10am On Jun 12, 2012
Re: . by Jake89: 6:21am On Aug 05, 2013
ActiveMan: need a back up service for web hosting provider

suggestion pls.

If you need web hosting service to host your website,I would suggest you to get it from 9cubehosting.com for linux at low price with daily back up.

(1) (Reply)

Is Seun Getting It Wrong? / Do you know Site(s) that's Similar To Reddit? / How Can I Upload/install Mybb To 000webhost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.