Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,506 members, 7,908,406 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 05:14 AM

. - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / . (11895 Views)

. / With The Uk Government Restrictions On Work: / My Experiences In A Uk Immigration Detention Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by justwise(m): 6:09pm On Jul 12, 2012
AjanleKoko: MBA in IT is useful for what?
I'd really like to know what kind of skills you'd possess with an MBA in IT and no work experience. Or what anybody would employ you to do. To 'manage' IT?
You can't manage IT if you don't have fundamental IT experience. You can't manage what you don't know. It's just like people studying for an MBA in Oil and Gas (some UK universities are offering that also!), thinking that would land you a job in the oil and gas sector.

Someone who hasn't even learnt how to do anything, what is the use of 'management' skill to that person? Most of the UK MBA graduates just show up back in Nigeria with little or no work experience. Many end up as bank markets or telco customer service personnel if they're lucky. Some take up music and fashion designing, which begs the question why they bothered to study MBA when they could have just as well have studied fashion or music.

At least, healthcare is an area where Nigeria is sorely lacking in personnel. People who studied engineering in Nigeria relocate to the US and end up becoming nurses and physiotherapists. That alone should tell you something. Oh, and by the way, there are healthcare related admin or management courses offered to people who have foundation medical degrees. Like the master in public health, and in medical administration. I'd be surprised if they allow you to study for those degrees with any bachelor's degree.

As far as I am concerned, it would have been better if you went to the UK to study art, music, or even fashion, than some of the nondescript degrees collected by Nigerians. At least then you would have a skill. All I am saying is, don't waste your time and money.
Not having work experience does not mean that the degree you have is useless, its wrong to tag any degree useless no matter the area you got thw degree in, a fresh graduate has to start somewhere to build that experience, people take work experience programs while doing that degree and that counts as work experience, studying any medical course does not mean you will get job without work experience.
Re: . by iiiyyyk(m): 8:45pm On Jul 12, 2012
no clinical medical course will require experience b4 employment since all of them get basic experiences during training and internship, which is mandatory part of all medical and clinical health programs.
Re: . by Vergil: 11:18pm On Jul 12, 2012
AjanleKoko:

So long as he has a plan, that is entirely his responsibility.

Ah, well. Next thing people will accuse me of killing their dreams, or raining on their parade. embarassed
So I'll leave it at that.

You are a funny boy aren't you? Just want to say something sha! How on earth could you be "killing his/aanybody dream" by making your comment? Eh!
Re: . by justwise(m): 11:29pm On Jul 12, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I don't particularly think going out of the country is a bad idea.
But people go out of the country, spend lots of money on accumulating degrees I consider to be useless, and come back to the country - to pursue jobs all over again.

Fact is, the schools have figured this out, and have focused on marketing to Nigerians. That is the part I don't like. I personally think we're being exploited, especially now that they're on this so-called clampdown on immigration nonsense.

I really don't know how you come up with some things here, exploiting Nigerians in what sense? If people like you are in a position to carry-out recruitment in any company then people's CVs will be in the bin without been looked at because for you their degrees are useless.
Re: . by macjive01: 1:06am On Jul 13, 2012
I WOULDNT ADVISE MY ENEMY TO VENTURE COMING TO THE UK, simply FORGET IT! FORGET IT ! UNLESS UR DAD IS A Politician and is paying it from looted money. but if it is his hard earned money in JESUS NAME find another place.
Re: . by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 13, 2012
macjive01: I WOULDNT ADVISE MY ENEMY TO VENTURE COMING TO THE UK, simply FORGET IT! FORGET IT ! UNLESS UR DAD IS A Politician and is paying it from looted money. but if it is his hard earned money in JESUS NAME find another place.
. Can you please tell us why? That you had an horrible experience doesn't mean all potential grads will...
Re: . by Lisa1: 9:37am On Jul 13, 2012
Great
Re: . by AjanleKoko: 2:57pm On Jul 13, 2012
justwise: [/b]

I really don't know how you come up with some things here, exploiting Nigerians in what sense? If people like you are in a position to carry-out recruitment in any company then people's CVs will be in the bin without been looked at because for you their degrees are useless.

Well . . . I can't employ you just because you went to school na.
What you studied has to be something that adds value to my enterprise. Even if we are talking entry-level, I wouldn't hire you just because you went to school in the UK. A generalist's CV probably wouldn't make it to me, frankly speaking.

My positions stems from the fact that we have so many Britons in Nigeria occupying executive positions. Very few of them have a university degree, not to mention numerous postgraduate degrees.
Also, white South Africans, who control a reasonable segment of the Nigerian economy. They are usually technicaly trained, and the highest degree I have seen from any of them is an MBA. Most of them who have degrees have the B.Com degree (not sure what that is). That should tell us something in Nigeria.

Vergil:

You are a funny boy aren't you? Just want to say something sha! How on earth could you be "killing his/aanybody dream" by making your comment? Eh!
Hush, child tongue
Re: . by Cavenchy(m): 5:12pm On Jul 20, 2012
I have read some of the comments on this thread for a while now and at this point I think I should append a few points to ponder upon.

I have personally carried out an assesment on Best Students from Uk universities and I am currently in contact with one of them, who on graduation received an offer from one of the Top Multinational Oil Companies in Nigeria (we know the likes), It would interest some of you to note that the regard this company has for this graduate and the confidence exhibited by this graduate is outstanding, and when asked by the press how the excellent grade was attained? The response was something close to this; Most Nigerians are talented, but it takes a solid and profound educational system to notice how exceptionally gifted we are.

Now if I am to outline the problems in our education/employment sector here in Nigeria.
1.Consider a young girl who gets 300 in Jamb and cos a lecturer makes life unbearable for her due to his unwholesome desires, she is constantly frustrated in her exams and comes out with a low grade.

2.Consider a young man who goes to the university, attends all the lectures even though the halls are overcrowded, still manages to burn candles at night cos there is no electricity just so that he could read, and when he writes he is convinced he has passed, only to be poorly graded cos he refused to sort lecturers and buy handouts(which he probably didn't have money to buy).

3.Consider a group of sharp brains who beat the hazards and came up with good grades only to be delayed results due to a National Strike, and by the time they eventualy finish service they are considered too old to be employed.

The employment sector is fully aware of these problems among the youths, but what do they do? They act like they don't, and go on to request high grades and low age requirements for jobs they couldn't have gotten if they were in the applicants shoes, and to make matters worse, they set further tests and judge their applicants not on their ability to sort problems out but as a control measure to weed out many applicants based on luck not merit.

This said, tell me why an average youth will not seek a foreign certificate, knowing they would be given proper education and they are rewarded based on hardwork and not the size of their pockets or the shape of their body. These same employers will still travel out for courses to enhance their knowledge in their various fields for promotions...so I don't see any thing wrong with one desiring quality education...I mean, what do u tag a uk graduate who got a job back home in Nigeria on graduation and barely 3 months after, flies in a private(company) jet around the country and trains the top dons of the administrative board?
If/When the system is rejuvenated, I see no reason why any citizen would be a money making venture for any foreign country, rather we'ld have others paying heavily to get visa's to Nigeria.
I think I have exhausted too much space on this one post, This is just food for thought.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure / S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans / FG Removes 7% Waiver On Aircraft, Spares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.