Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard (22298 Views)

Rejection Letter From Harvard University To An Intending Student (Photo) / Obama Recognises, Commends 19 Year Old Nigerian Havard Finalist. / 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by talk2keke: 10:11am On Sep 13, 2012
Many parents dream of their children going to Harvard one day. But a Muslim girl has actualised the goal of getting into the prestigious university at the age of 15!

Saheela Ibraheem, of Edison, was also accepted to MIT and 13 other schools, including Princeton and Columbia before settling for Harvard after falling in love with the campus. She skipped two grades and said the key to success is figuring out what you love to learn as early as possible, something she did at age 5. “If you are passionate about what you do, and I am passionate about most of these things, especially with Math.”

She is well on her way to fulfilling her dreams of one day becoming a Neuroscientist. This fall, the 15 year-old high school senior will be heading to Harvard University. Harvard was one of the 14 schools that Saheela applied to. She was accepted into 13 of those schools: Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania, Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Williams College, Stanford, University of Chicago, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Washington University in St. Louis. After much debate, she settled on Harvard because “she fell in love” with the campus. She hopes to study neurobiology or neuroscience while at the prestigious university.

She serves as president of the school’s investment club, which teaches students about the stock market by investing in virtual stocks. Saheela wasn’t sure any college would want to admit a 15-year-old. So, she hedged her bets and filled out applications to 14 schools from New Jersey to California. In the end, 13 colleges accepted her, including six of the eight Ivy League schools.

After weeks of debate, Saheela settled on Harvard. She will be among the youngest members of the school’s freshman class. Nationwide, this year’s college selection process was among the most competitive in history as most top colleges received a record number of applications.

Saheela joins a growing number of New Jersey students going to college before they are old enough to drive. Last year, Kyle Loh of Mendham graduated from Rutgers at 16. In previous years, a 14-year-old from Cranbury and two of his 15-year-old cousins also graduated from Rutgers. For Saheela, her unusual path to college began when she was a sixth-grader at the Conackamack Middle School in Piscataway. Eager to learn more about her favorite subject, Math, the daughter of Nigerian immigrants asked to move to a higher-level class. The school let her skip sixth grade entirely.

By high school, Saheela said, she was no longer feeling challenged by her public school classes. So, she moved to the Wardlaw- Hartridge School, a 420-student private school, where she skipped her freshman year and enrolled as a 10th-grader. Her three younger brothers, twins now in the ninth grade and a younger brother in second grade, all eventually joined her at the school. School officials were impressed Saheela, one of their top students, didn’t spend all her time studying. “She’s learned and she’s very smart. But she keeps pushing herself,” said William Jenkins, the Wardlaw-Hartridge School’s director of development.

Saheela also excels outside the classroom. She is a three-sport athlete, playing outfield for the school’s softball team, defender on the soccer team, and swimming relays. Saheela began applying to colleges last fall. Her applications included her grade point average (between a 96 and 97 on a 100-point scale) and her 2,340 SAT score (a perfect 800 on the math section, a 790 in writing and a 750 in reading). She was delighted when she got her first acceptance in December from California Institute of Technology. “I was so excited. I got into college!,” Saheela said.

More acceptances followed from Harvard, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania, Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Williams College, Stanford, University of Chicago, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Washington University in St. Louis. Saheela was torn between going to MIT and Harvard. A visit to both campuses last month made the choice easy. “She went to Harvard and she fell in love with the place,” said Shakirat Ibraheem, her mother.

She said she wants to major in either neurobiology or neuroscience and plans to become a research scientist who studies how the brain works. She credits her parents with teaching her to love learning and work hard. Her father, Sarafa, an analyst and vice-president at a New York financial firm, would often study with her at night and home school her in subjects not taught at school. “I try my best in everything I do,” Saheela said. “Anyone who’s motivated can work wonders.”

http://nationalmirroronline.net/religion/religion-news/48066.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by infofirst(m): 11:46am On Sep 13, 2012
Great And Inspiring
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Afam4eva(m): 11:47am On Sep 13, 2012
This news is old now...

3 Likes

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by infofirst(m): 11:47am On Sep 13, 2012
Inspiring and Motivating. All the best Saheela
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by SamMilla1(m): 11:48am On Sep 13, 2012
Very good. Only that many things are clear.

She is brilliant.
She is from a rich or upper middle class family.
She does not live in Nigeria.

The above factors and many more works against many people who are far more brilliant. I am saying all that because we shouldnt sing so much of her praises.

I wish her goodluck though.

21 Likes

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by slimming: 11:50am On Sep 13, 2012
Good, but not a way to success
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by dan55: 11:51am On Sep 13, 2012

2 Likes

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 13, 2012
So where the hell does the girl identify with Nigeria? Smh @ lazy, amebo Nigerians looking for cheap publicity for their useless and shameful country. Leave the poor lass alone.
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by pomohs(m): 11:51am On Sep 13, 2012
naija, where anything can happen
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by dj187: 11:52am On Sep 13, 2012
After una go say awusa people no dey go skool

4 Likes

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Flakeey(f): 11:52am On Sep 13, 2012
being rich makes things easy...
there are so many brilliant children with poor background, nobody to push them up

wishing her all the best

2 Likes

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 13, 2012
pomohs: naija, where anything can happen
_
SHE NEVER WENT TO SCHOOL IN NIGERIA! SHE'S NOT A PRODUCT OF THE NIGERIAN EDUCATION SYSTEM!

3 Likes

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 13, 2012
this an old story! she may be 30 now shocked

2 Likes

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 13, 2012
Congrats to her.keep the flag flying babe.nothing do you

1 Like

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Soocool1(m): 11:55am On Sep 13, 2012
Mhen, I'm soo jealous + envious of diz gal! Mhen, money iz so_goooood! At least if there was money, I also would have gotten quality education

1 Like

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by cantell(m): 11:57am On Sep 13, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
SHE NEVER WENT TO SCHOOL IN NIGERIA! SHE'S NOT A PRODUCT OF THE NIGERIAN EDUCATION SYSTEM!
So?
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 13, 2012
cantell:
So?
_
I was clearly NOT addressing you. I was OBVIOUSLY talking to the guy whose post I quoted.
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by fergieboy: 12:00pm On Sep 13, 2012
so?? We should go and hang ourself for not going to havard
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Whymee: 12:04pm On Sep 13, 2012
When one of us wins a gold medal at the Olympics
They call us British, but when we do anything wrong
- then we are Muslims.

They creat our identity, we have no say in the matter.

Congratulating girl.

3 Likes

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 13, 2012

2 Likes

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 13, 2012
Kudos.

May Allah give you strength and wisdom in your pursuit.

3 Likes

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Afam4eva(m): 12:09pm On Sep 13, 2012
chizzy94: So?..wats so special about havard??no place like home!
Greatest Akokite!
Akokite ko Maulag ni...abeg, shoe get size.
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Ejine(m): 12:09pm On Sep 13, 2012
SimonAndal: So where the hell does the girl identify with Nigeria? Smh @ lazy, amebo Nigerians looking for cheap publicity for their useless and shameful country. Leave the poor lass alone.

I swear! Very pathetic. See as dem dey claim relationship, when ironically, she could give two shiits about Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by LKO(m): 12:11pm On Sep 13, 2012
Sam Milla: Very good. Only that many things are clear.

She is brilliant.
She is from a rich or upper middle class family.
She does not live in Nigeria.

The above factors and many more works against many people who are far more brilliant. I am saying all that because we shouldnt sing so much of her praises.

I wish her goodluck though.

Very well said my dear brother.
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Alaafialoro(m): 12:13pm On Sep 13, 2012
Whymee: When one of us wins a gold medal at the Olympics
They call us British, but when we do anything wrong
- then we are Muslims.

They creat our identity, we have no say in the matter.

Congratulating girl.

Actually,there‘s no need to bring religion sentiment into this.. It is hightime u differentiated btw religion& other aspects of life.
@op...good for her&her family but na old news.
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by ujukala: 12:17pm On Sep 13, 2012
Awesome.
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by PaulJohn1: 12:19pm On Sep 13, 2012
afam4eva: This news is old now...
Not just old, it's ancient
Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Kologie: 12:24pm On Sep 13, 2012
fergieboy: so?? We should go and hang ourself for not going to havard
yes please! Would love to see u dangling on d tallest Iroko tree. Thou hater of good things.

1 Like

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Donmeca(m): 12:26pm On Sep 13, 2012
If we recycled waste the way we recycle news in this country, Lagos, Aba and Onitsha would be sparkling clean! For God's sake, this news is over 6 months old!!!

I am yet to read about a Nigerian who lives in Nigeria gaining an Ivy League admission at age 18, even 20. We need to start tackling d factors making us dull in our land and bright in d West

1 Like

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by Lanspower(m): 12:29pm On Sep 13, 2012
Brilliance runs in their family....I heard finished with a first class degree from our own University of Ibadan.... Offspring of a tiger takes after no other than the great wild cat himself smiley

1 Like

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by RickyRoss1(m): 12:52pm On Sep 13, 2012
How or when did this girl become a Nigerian? Simply bc shes black?
We like to claim anything that has to do with success. If na cocaine she carry or 419 most of us will go tribalistic and this post will reach 10 pages under 1 hour.

1 Like

Re: 15-year-Old Nigerian Secures Admission In Harvard by wandeay: 1:00pm On Sep 13, 2012
second to Mildred Okpala, thumbs up!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Things You Should Know Before You Graduate / LASU Lecturers Protest Against Olanrewaju Fagbohun, The Vice Chancellor (Photos) / Ajayi Crowther University Students Locked Outside Overnight For Coming Late

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.