Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

To All The Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To All The Atheists (15865 Views)

The Atheists Test / The Best Of The Atheists In Nairaland So Far / What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

To All The Atheists by Dudugirl01(f): 12:06am On Sep 22, 2012
Each time someone says there's no God, I wonder why someone would boldly claim there's no God! My question then is, how do you butress your point? I need answers,
Re: To All The Atheists by Kay17: 12:58am On Sep 22, 2012
How do u relate/ detect such a being directly
Re: To All The Atheists by wiegraf: 3:40am On Sep 22, 2012
Do you believe in zeus, odin, the buddha (not a god actually), santa etc? It's the same thing for us and any god, yours included.

Random rant
Your confusion works in the same way for us. How do you know there is a god? Especially one described by most religions on this planet. The definitions are particularly flawed, ridiculous, and they are not backed up by any evidence. In many cases they are morally objectionable by modern moral standards, especially the admired western ones. They make claims that are demonstrably wrong as well. Chances are if you weren't indoctrinated you wouldn't believe your religions doctrines, at all. Very few of you would choose the religion of your birth, many won't even accept the existence of a god(s), if you weren't indoctrinated in it or it wasn't what your parents believed.

Let me waste a little more time here and show you why many of us may seem pissed with you guys. Note this carefully, we aren't the ones making claims here, you are. You claim there is a god, ok, no probs. Most of us really don't care, whatever rocks your boat. However, do you want us to bend over for you because it displeases your god? Most atheist reactions are like this, are you f*****g crazy? How f******g arrogant. You are the one claiming there is a god, at least provide some objectively verifiable evidence before you make any demands from us. I wouldn't show up at your house and demand you wash my feet everyday at 5pm sharp, make sure my noodles are warm, paid your tithes as my god Pikkiwoki needs it to do his work (despite his being omnipotent), etc etc. The onus would be on me to prove Pikkiwoki was real (and he is) before I can make any demands, no? Else I'd be infringing on your rights. I'll take it further, even if your god did exist, if you forced me to comply you would still be infringing on my rights.

So, before you ask atheists (and the others certainly know how to better manage their time than me) to explain themselves (the gall of you asking sef is amazing me), I would suggest you provide evidence for your god(s).

10 Likes

Re: To All The Atheists by Dudugirl01(f): 8:38am On Sep 22, 2012
How do you explain your existence then?
Re: To All The Atheists by wiegraf: 8:46am On Sep 22, 2012
Dudugirl01: How do you explain your existence then?

I don't
Re: To All The Atheists by Dudugirl01(f): 8:52am On Sep 22, 2012
I do not see my God, yet I believe in him, I have faith, I'm not a fanatic but I do believe, I didn't bring myself here,all the beautiful things around me point to His existence, take a look @ the skies, @ how beautiful they are, who created them, what about the vast ocean, with all its tempest, and the calm rivers,my thoughts? God created me, and all the wonderful things on earty, I cannot se Him because He is invisible,yet, I do believe and I will live my life believing
Re: To All The Atheists by manmustwac(m): 9:13am On Sep 22, 2012
I can just as equally claim that the bright sun the wonderful sky the deep blue sea and we humans are the results of evolution instead of being the end product of magic. smiley
Re: To All The Atheists by wiegraf: 9:40am On Sep 22, 2012
Dudugirl01: I do not see my God, yet I believe in him, I have faith, I'm not a fanatic but I do believe, I didn't bring myself here,all the beautiful things around me point to His existence, take a look @ the skies, @ how beautiful they are, who created them, what about the vast ocean, with all its tempest, and the calm rivers,my thoughts? God created me, and all the wonderful things on earty, I cannot se Him because He is invisible,yet, I do believe and I will live my life believing

That's nice, and like I've already said most atheists could care less. In fact many would be happy for you if religion filled some need for you, like say it made you more productive, or gave you hope when you despair. Ie, so long as said religion doesn't turn you into a bigot, fanatic, and you stay out of our lives etc. Note that you've admitted you believe on faith, you do not have any evidence to back it up, so don't expect irreligious to take you seriously, at all. In fact, if your god is the abrahamic one, then your beliefs are undoubtedly unreasonable. Again, you have faith in them, that's your biz, good for you, don't expect us to humor you though.

All sorts of atheists about, only common ground is we don't believe in gods, so different ways to look at things. From my perspective, looking at your points, you believe god made you? You refer to the personal abrahamic god? Ok, who made god? Let me guess, nothing? He's always been there? So, why couldn't simple energy or nature have always been there? Just because you say so? Simple energy is a lot less complex than omnipotent, etc god. I would imagine it would be a lot easier for that to pop up from nothing, or existed forever, than the very complex god.

The universe was not made for us. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars. God sure was wasteful if we were the intention. On this star system, only one of the 8 planets supports life. Humanity, the supposed magnum opus, can only drink about 10 % of the water on it. 70 % of the surface is uninhabitable to us. The universe wasn't tailor made for us, it's the other way round. Your awe is called the anthropomorphic principle, google it. Basically, if say a dog became sentient, it will assume god made the universe for it as well. It will marvel at its perfect teeth for juicy bone wrangling, its lovely tail for aimless but fun chasing, etc. It is not until it takes the time to reflect that it would realize its jaws adapted to fit the environment, not the other way round, and it chasing its own tail really is pointless but fun exercise, etc etc

4 Likes

Re: To All The Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 9:54am On Sep 22, 2012
wiegraf:

That's nice, and like I've already said most atheists could care less. In fact many would be happy for you if religion filled some need for you, like say it made you more productive, or gave you hope when you despair. Ie, so long as said religion doesn't turn you into a bigot, fanatic, and you stay out of our lives etc. Note that you've admitted you believe on faith, you do not have any evidence to back it up, so don't expect irreligious to take you seriously, at all. In fact, if your god is the abrahamic one, then your beliefs are undoubtedly unreasonable. Again, you have faith in them, that's your biz, good for you, don't expect us to humor you though.

All sorts of atheists about, only common ground is we don't believe in gods, so different ways to look at things. From my perspective, looking at your points, you believe god made you? You refer to the personal abrahamic god? Ok, who made god? Let me guess, nothing? He's always been there? So, why couldn't simple energy or nature have always been there? Just because you say so? Simple energy is a lot less complex than omnipotent, etc god. I would imagine it would be a lot easier for that to pop up from nothing, or existed forever, than the very complex god.

The universe was not made for us. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars. God sure was wasteful if we were the intention. On this star system, only one of the 8 planets supports life. Us, the supposed magnum opus, can only drink about 10 % of the water on it. 70 % of the surface is uninhabitable. The universe wasn't tailor made for us, it's the other way round. Your awe is called the anthropomorphic principle, google it. Basically, if say a say dog became sentient, it will assume god made the universe for it as well. It will marvel at its perfect teeth for juicy bone wrangling, its lovely tail for aimless but fun chasing, etc. It is not until it takes the time to reflect that it would realize its jaws adapted to fit the environment, not the other way round, and it chasing its own tail really is pointless but fun exercise, etc etc

Interesting. You have just shown us that your disbelief in God is equally based on blind faith.

Dudugirl01: How do you explain your existence then?
wiegraf: I don't
Re: To All The Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 10:00am On Sep 22, 2012
manmustwac: I can just as equally claim that the bright sun the wonderful sky the deep blue sea and we humans are the results of evolution instead of being the end product of magic. smiley
Equally blind faith
Re: To All The Atheists by wiegraf: 10:17am On Sep 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Interesting. You have just shown us that your disbelief in God is equally based on blind faith.

Oh goodie! You can play now? I'm about to sleep off though (I've been up all night, don't ask). Hope you made lots of $$$

I can't see what you mean, am I missing something? My attention span won't let me scan the post properly. I haven't though, you assume atheists make a claim or have some sort of doctrines, etc we exercise faith with. It's like assuming a bald man has a ponytail.
Most of the claims for a god are incredulous, many downright impossible. It requires no faith to dismiss them, there is no chance that they are true.
Re: To All The Atheists by Kay17: 10:39am On Sep 22, 2012
Dudugirl01: I do not see my God, yet I believe in him, I have faith, I'm not a fanatic but I do believe, I didn't bring myself here,all the beautiful things around me point to His existence, take a look @ the skies, @ how beautiful they are, who created them, what about the vast ocean, with all its tempest, and the calm rivers,my thoughts? God created me, and all the wonderful things on earty, I cannot se Him because He is invisible,yet, I do believe and I will live my life believing

The key word is faith. So being faithless doesn't mean one is stupid or blind. That's the diff btw us.
Re: To All The Atheists by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 22, 2012
''We are all (truly) atheists. Some of us just belive in fewer gods than others. WHEN YOU UNDERSTAND WHY U DISMISS ALL OTHER GODS, YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY I DISMISS YOURS.''

Stephen F. Roberts
Re: To All The Atheists by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Equally blind faith

''It is always better to have no ideas than false ones, to beleive nothing, than to believe what is wrong.''

Thomas Jefferson
Re: To All The Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 11:16am On Sep 22, 2012
inurmind:

''It is always better to have no ideas than false ones, to beleive nothing, than to believe what is wrong.''

Thomas Jefferson
lol of course...but then you have to explain how exactly one can truly believe nothing. Since to believe at all means that there is something to be believed.
Re: To All The Atheists by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 22, 2012
Its funny how whenever christians want to prove that god exists all they mentions is :
''the beautiful skies'', ''the beautiful ocean'', ''the beautiful trees''.

What about the ''harsh desert'', ''the hideous hyenas'', the ''ugly vultures'', ''the foul swamps''.
God created those too didn't he?

And ofcouse there's faith. Oh well:

''I do not feel obliged to believe that same god who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect had intended for us to forgo their use''.

Galileo Galilei
Re: To All The Atheists by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
lol of course...but then you have to explain how exactly one can truly believe nothing. Since to believe at all means that there is something to be believed.

To be honest with u i do not completely believe anything, i regard them on a scale of probabilities and my belief in an excuse to evade the need to evaluate evidence (faith) is at its lowest.
Re: To All The Atheists by Dudugirl01(f): 11:29am On Sep 22, 2012
Yes, the Lord God indeed made all things, including the deserts, swamps , vultures and all those things you claim are ugly, look closely, they have their own beuty too, I'd rather believe in God than believe in nothing, without belief, life is worth nothing
Re: To All The Atheists by tobechi74: 11:30am On Sep 22, 2012
Kay 17:

The key word is faith. So being faithless doesn't mean one is stupid or blind. That's the diff btw us.

i disagree. Atheist also hav faith. They havent seen a monkey chang to a human yet they bliv.
Re: To All The Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 11:39am On Sep 22, 2012
wiegraf:

Oh goodie! You can play now? I'm about to sleep off though (I've been up all night, don't ask). Hope you made lots of $$$

I can't see what you mean, am I missing something? My attention span won't let me scan the post properly. I haven't though, you assume atheists make a claim or have some sort of doctrines, etc we exercise faith with. It's like assuming a bald man has a ponytail.
Most of the claims for a god are incredulous, many downright impossible. It requires no faith to dismiss them, there is no chance that they are true.
Lol, I have no such assumptions. I only hold that if you say that some claim is incredulous, it must be incredulous based on something else. When the op says that God is the explanation for human existence, You cannot rightfully say that her explanation is incredulous seeing that you do not provide an explanation yourself.

To say that something is a lie, you must provide a truth from which it deviates.
Re: To All The Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 11:43am On Sep 22, 2012
inurmind:

To be honest with u i do not completely believe anything, i regard them on a scale of probabilities and my belief in an excuse to evade the need to evaluate evidence (faith) is at its lowest.
That's a fair way to put it, but i would like you to note that a scale of probabilities is meaningless without an absolute from which we may now talk about how something can be more probable or less probable.

In your worldview, what is this absolute?
Re: To All The Atheists by jayriginal: 11:55am On Sep 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:

To say that something is a lie, you must provide a truth from which it deviates.

Would you then say that if I cannot prove proposition A to be false, it must necessarily be true ?
Re: To All The Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 12:33pm On Sep 22, 2012
jayriginal:

Would you then say that if I cannot prove proposition A to be false, it must necessarily be true ?
Not necessarily, I am just saying that if you cannot prove it false, then you cannot say that it is false
Re: To All The Atheists by jayriginal: 12:39pm On Sep 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Not necessarily, I am just saying that if you cannot prove it false, then you cannot say that it is false

Would you agree too, that while not being able to categorically say that proposition A is false (seeing as it cannot be proven false), it may be put forth in a way that calls for suspension of belief ?
Re: To All The Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 12:43pm On Sep 22, 2012
jayriginal:

Would you agree too, that while not being able to categorically say that proposition A is false (seeing as it cannot be proven false), it may be put forth in a way that calls for suspension of belief ?
I don't quite get your statement (the bolded part especially) please rephrase a bit if you may.
Re: To All The Atheists by jayriginal: 12:49pm On Sep 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I don't quite get your statement (the bolded part especially) please rephrase a bit if you may.

Well, suppose I said to you 'x=y'. Suppose you cant prove that my statement is false but it certainly seems strange enough for you to be suspicious of its veracity. In this case, would you not be justified in suspending belief ?
Re: To All The Atheists by Areaboy2(m): 12:54pm On Sep 22, 2012
Dudugirl01: Yes, the Lord God indeed made all things, including the deserts, swamps , vultures and all those things you claim are ugly, look closely, they have their own beuty too, I'd rather believe in God than believe in nothing, without belief, life is worth nothing

That sums up your argument for yourself. Basically religion floats your boat! It doesn't do the same to us so if you're gonna require some sort of evidence from us to disprove your god, you're barking up the wrong tree.

The difference with me and you is that I'm fully aware that this life is all I've got and will put all my energy to making the best out of it. Caring for as many people as I can and make as much difference possible. The more we make everyone around us comfortable and feel loved, the more meaning our lives have.

I don't need believe in a deity to give my life meaning

1 Like

Re: To All The Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 1:19pm On Sep 22, 2012
jayriginal:

Well, suppose I said to you 'x=y'. Suppose you cant prove that my statement is false but it certainly seems strange enough for you to be suspicious of its veracity. In this case, would you not be justified in suspending belief ?
Yes of course I can decide to not believe it.....but then to talk about "justification for my unbelief" means that there is something I believe based upon which I disbelieve another. What I am saying essentially is that you cannot just disbelieve in a vacuum.

your statement x=y may be true or false. If I try to prove it false and I fail, it is either the statement has no logical true/false value or it is true. The best practice would be to accept it as true until I can reasonably falsify it.

that's why the phrase: "....prove beyond all reasonable doubt."

See here my pink unicorn argument with macdaddy: https://www.nairaland.com/1053917/pink-unicorn-argument-against-religion/2
Re: To All The Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 1:21pm On Sep 22, 2012
Area_boy:

That sums up your argument for yourself. Basically religion floats your boat! It doesn't do the same to us so if you're gonna require some sort of evidence from us to disprove your god, you're barking up the wrong tree.

The difference with me and you is that I'm fully aware that this life is all I've got and will put all my energy to making the best out of it. Caring for as many people as I can and make as much difference possible. The more we make everyone around us comfortable and feel loved, the more meaning our lives have.

I don't need believe in a deity to give my life meaning
lol, what does it mean to say that your life has meaning? Who or what gives your life meaning?
Re: To All The Atheists by wiegraf: 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, I have no such assumptions. I only hold that if you say that some claim is incredulous, it must be incredulous based on something else. When the op says that God is the explanation for human existence, You cannot rightfully say that her explanation is incredulous seeing that you do not provide an explanation yourself.

Maybe, but this wouldn't hold in this case. Many of the traits attributed to god(s) are illogical, or demonstrably false as they would be impossible. In other speak they violate common sense or scientific truths. At the very least the odds of them being correct are extremely low. We've run around some of these claims with the omnixxx, which you've abandoned sad YIELD
Anyways I want to see where @jay is going with this, and I should off the damned phone so I could sleep in peace...
Re: To All The Atheists by Areaboy2(m): 1:25pm On Sep 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
lol, what does it mean to say that your life has meaning? Who or what gives your life meaning?

lol.. If you dont have the balls to say your life has meaning without religion, then too bad. I know mine does.

Lets say sometime soon science ends up showing us a simple proof that god doesn't exist, does that mean you will kill yourself since life has no meaning?

Strange replies I get on this NL undecided
Re: To All The Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 1:26pm On Sep 22, 2012
wiegraf:

Maybe, but this wouldn't hold in this case. Many of the traits attributed to god(s) are illogical, or demonstrably false as they would be impossible. In other speak they violate common sense or scientific truths. At the very least the odds of them being correct are extremely low. We've run around some of these claims with the omnixxx, which you've abandoned sad YIELD
Anyways I want to see where @jay is going with this, and I should off the damned phone so I could sleep in peace...
here he goes again.....I left that thread because I got tired of dancing around in circles with you. The answer i gave you there was very sufficient.
Anyway, my point here was to show you that you equally reject God on blind faith and I think I have done that. let's see how Jay goes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? / Touch Not My Anointed / Mbang: Wrath Of God Will Visit Children & Grandchildren Of Corrupt Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.