Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,486 members, 7,847,001 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:14 AM

Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) (1070 Views)

Questioning The Implausibilities 3 (original Sin) / Questioning The Implausibilities (giving Reason A Chance) / Why Do Protestants Use The Rosary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 1:06pm On Dec 08, 2012
Today being 8th December, Catholics World wide celebrate the feast of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and that reminds me of the question most of us who are catholic eventually get asked here on NairaLand, "Why do you catholics worship Mary?". More often than not the question is not a real question. It is a rhetorical question. A "rhetorical question" is a question whose purpose is not to seek an answer but rather to make a ( usually hostile) point. For example the expression "who do you think you are?" or"what do you think you know?" is in form of a question but it does not seek an answer. Instead it is meant as a rebuke. And so it is when we catholics get asked the "question" why do you whorship Mary?. We are usually aware that it is not a sincere question seeking a sincere answer. However, for those cases where an answer really is sought it results to the following answer "well, of course we don't whorship Mary since that would be a terrible sin. Whorship belongs to God alone. We do honor her though, after all, she is the mother of Jesus Christ. But let me ask you a question. Why In Your Church, Do You Not Honor Mary At All?. I mean "AT ALL". Doesn't Scripture say Every generation will call [Mary] blessed because God who is mighty has done great things for [her]? {Luke 1: 48-49}. It seems to me that we catholics are fulfilling scripture but that in your denomination you are not fulfilling or following it. So why don't you honor her "AT ALL"? Please don't try to digress, just answer the simple question. Why do you hate the mother of Jesus Christ soo much?. Why are you people soo irritated when ever her name is mentioned?. Why don't you honor her "At ALL" or atleast call her blessed as the Bible says?.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 08, 2012
Good afternoon,

I have to say that I admire your "zeal" and may be "piety" for the cause of our Lady (especially the Lady of the Immaculate conception) but really, I am curious to know what you intend to achieve by opening this thread.

Thank you!

NB: Hope you went to mass today?

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by ijawkid(m): 2:46pm On Dec 08, 2012
What will HONOURING her do for us??...

Will it give us everlasting LIFE??.......

And may I correct you::::::.....you don't only honour mary,you worship her....

1....You bow down to her image(I don't even know how you guys got that image) and You utter mantras to her.....

.2... you call her immaculate....(That's blasphemy)...........

3....You call her queen of heaven....

Infact you worship mary...........leave her alone and focus on Yahweh and his son......it is when we focus on those 2 persons that we will gain life(john 17:3)........

2 Likes

Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 5:56pm On Dec 08, 2012
And you don't think that Jesus honoured His Father and His mother while on earth?.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Todaynatoday: 8:02pm On Dec 08, 2012
First off, I don't belong to any denomination. I'm just a servant of God and I don't subscribe to the division of churches. Pentecostal, protestant, catholic etc etc etc are just bullcrap to me for we are one in Christ. Now to the topic, i do not worship/honour Mary because it is not necessary for salvation. I don't know how many times I'll have to post this passage in the bible showing what is required of us.
Luke 11:27-28
New International Version
(NIV)
27 As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called
out, “Blessed is the mother who
gave you birth and nursed you."
28 He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God
and obey it.”

2 Likes

Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by ijawkid(m): 10:56pm On Dec 08, 2012
Lovethywilbedon: And you don't think that Jesus honoured His Father and His mother while on earth?.

My freind leave mary alone...........leave her alone oooooooooooo............

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 4:38am On Dec 09, 2012
[quote author=Todaynatoday] . THANK You my friend for the the underlined words, this show how some people understand the scriptures. AND YOU DONT THINK THAT MARY HEARD THE WORD OF GOD AND OBEYED IT?. Tell me also that "honuoring yor father and mother" is not necessary for your salvation.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Todaynatoday: 7:06am On Dec 09, 2012
Lovethywilbedon: THANK You my friend for the the
underlined words, this show how
some people understand the
scriptures. AND YOU DONT THINK
THAT MARY HEARD THE WORD OF GOD AND OBEYED IT?. Tell me
also that "honuoring yor father and
mother" is not necessary for your
salvation.
*giggling*
You Make Me Laugh (in Shao Khan's voice).
First off, I never said that Mary did not hear & obey the word of God. All I said was that worshipping/honouring Mary is not necessary for salvation. By the way how is not worshipping Mary equal to not honouring my parents? Now, I showed you a verse where Jesus Christ clearly shows us that worshipping his earthly mother is not required of us. Now, show me a verse where Jesus Christ says that we should honour/worship Mary.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 8:52am On Dec 09, 2012
@ Todaynatoday Once again I say Thanks you very much, but this time, for contradicting yourself. In your first post you qouted Luke 11 v 28 saying "blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it" then in your second post you accepted that "Mary heard the word of God and obeyed it, which implies that she is blessed according Luke 11v28. Now wait, the bible verse you have qouated is saying that mary is BLESSED [because she heard the word of God and obayed it]. When you say that someone is BLESSED are you not Honouring that person?. Please answer YES or No.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Todaynatoday: 12:46pm On Dec 09, 2012
@lovethywilbedon, I really do not know how you think. I showed you a verse where someone was praising Mary and Jesus rebuked the person saying "rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and obey it". What is so complex about the statement? okay take this scenario:
lovethywilbedon=> Hail Mary mother of Jesus, blessed art thou among women. Blessed are you for giving birth to the Christ.
Jesus Christ=> lovethywilbedon, that is not important. The important thing is for you to hear the word of God and do His will.

2 Likes

Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 7:43pm On Dec 09, 2012
@ Todaynatoday. Thank you my brother in Christ for your nice post. But you still have not answered the simple question. So once again I ask you, By according or proclaiming someone BLESSED are you not HONOURING that person? PLEASE answer YES or NO and stop trying to dodge the simple question.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Todaynatoday: 8:29pm On Dec 09, 2012
Lovethywilbedon: @ Todaynatoday. Thank you my brother in Christ for your nice post. But you still have not answered the simple question. So once again I ask you, By according or proclaiming someone BLESSED are you not HONOURING that person? PLEASE answer YES or NO and stop trying to dodge the simple question.
Chineke, Oluwa, Ubangiji, Abasi, Osanoboa, God!!!!!!!
Mhen, what is your point? The person in that verse was giving honour to Mary and Jesus told the person that worshipping God in spirit and in truth was the most important thing. Hope you truly get it now; yes, if you call someone blessed, you might be giving honour to that person but as Jesus Christ said: those that hear the word of God and obey it are the ones that are truly blessed. Now,
show me a
verse in the Bible where Jesus Christ says that
we should specifically honour/worship Mary.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 2:13pm On Dec 10, 2012
Todaynatoday: @lovethywilbedon, I really do not know how you think. I showed you a verse where someone was praising Mary and Jesus rebuked the person saying "rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and obey it". What is so complex about the statement? okay take this scenario:
lovethywilbedon=> Hail Mary mother of Jesus, blessed art thou among women. Blessed are you for giving birth to the Christ.
Jesus Christ=> lovethywilbedon, that is not important. The important thing is for you to hear the word of God and do His will.
Thank you very much for your sincerity in answering that question. I just need you to be sincere [just] for once as I fulfil your request. Also I forgot to inform you, PLEASE try to choose your words properply because anything you "say" here will be used against you. That is the the reason why I prefer that you simply answer YES or NO. Now from one of your post you use the phrase"HAIL MARY" but you forgot that God was the first to HAIL Mary. Luke1:26-28 " In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy God sent the angel Gabriel to a town in Galilee.... 27) And THE WORD OF GOD WAS ADDRESSED to a young virgin,... HAIL MARY, FULL OF GRACE..... Did you hear that? God HAILED Mary!!!. May be this is not enough. Luke1:41-42 Elizabeth filled with "THE HOLY SPIRIT" said "BLESSED ARE YOU" among....... Did you here that?. The "HOLY SPIRIT" speaking though Elizabeth proclaimed Mary "BLESSED". Do you need more?. If you want to hear the one from JESUS CHRIST read my previous post. Now with all sincerity, when you HAIL someone or PROCLAIM someone BLESSED are you not HONOURING that person?. By your last post you answered YES!. Finally, if God HONOURED Mary,[ by HAILING her through Gabriel (Luke1:28)] and the Holy Spirit HONOURED Mary, [by proclaiming her BLESSED through Elizabeth (Luke 1:42)] and Jesus Christ Himself HONOURED Mary by declaring her BLESSED [for hearing the word of God and obaying it (Luke11:28)], Do You Think It Is Worng For Christians To Honour Mary?. Please be sincere just for once and for the good of both of us. Just answer [YES] or [NO].
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Todaynatoday: 2:52pm On Dec 10, 2012
It's amazing, the length people would go to defend something that is obviously not true. @lovethywilbedon, just answer my simple question and stop twisting scriptures. Where in the bible does it specifically say we should accord "special" honour/worship to Mary?
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by advocate666: 3:31pm On Dec 10, 2012
Why are guys also not honouring Jizz-Us' grand parents? His grand mother who gave birth to the blessed immacuately conceptionned virgin must be a chosen and blessed one as well. All hail granny mary!

2 Likes

Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 4:05pm On Dec 10, 2012
Todaynatoday: It's amazing, the length people would go to defend something that is obviously not true. @lovethywilbedon, just answer my simple question and stop twisting scriptures. Where in the bible does it specifically say we should accord "special" honour/worship to Mary?
@Todaynatoday I thought that you are sincere. So you can't answer the SIMPLE [YES] or [NO]?.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Todaynatoday: 5:37pm On Dec 10, 2012
^^^ you are the one acting deceitfully here. I already answered your question with my own question=> where in the bible does it specifically say that we should accord "special" worship/honour to Mary and is there any record/biblical proof of early christians according worship/honour to her?
Stop dodging the question; why can't you answer it if you are so sincere?
Mary has already been "honoured" enough since you say she has been honoured by God, why would she need mere humans to honour her if God Himself is already doing it?. She has fulfilled her purpose already; bringing Christ into the world as a man. This Christ is the one you should worship and not the vessel God used to bring Him. Anyway, my question still stands.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 5:39pm On Dec 10, 2012
advocate666: Why are guys also not honouring Jizz-Us' grand parents? His grand mother who gave birth to the blessed immacuately conceptionned virgin must be a chosen and blessed one as well. All hail granny mary!
Thank you for you question. In the catholic church ADORATION/WORSHIP the first acts of the Virtue of Christian Religion is reserved to GOD [ THE MOST HOLY TRINITY] and GOD Alone. But for all the Saints in Heaven (of which Mary is the greatest of all of them) name them, Abraham, Isaac Jacob. Moses, Elaijha, David all the Prophes of Old, all the Patriach and Matriach of Old (including the people you mentioned, once they are in heaven) all Apostles and Martrys all holy men and women, are simply honoured. WHY? Because these people (so numerous to count) haven passed through great tribulations and haven washed their gament in the blood of the lamb, God "first" honoured them by accepting them into heaven and being united with the LAMB they share in his glory. And we on earth appreciate the exaplary life they lived while on earth by according them some honour and respect. This is all about giving honour to whom honour is due. Some of these protestant don't know they owe honour to Goodluck Ebere Jonathan, they are waiting until they see his name literaly stated in the bible. They don't know they owe honour and respect to our country Nigeria, simply because Nigeria is not in the bible. They don't know they owe honour to objects like the Nigerian Flag, the Nigerian Coat Of Arm or an object as simple as the Twenty Naira[N20] note, though some of know. What beats my imagination is how infuriated these people become when the see some sincere Christians like the Catholic and some Anglicans giving simple honour to the Blessed Virgin Mary, The GREATEST SAINT of ALL-(I mean)-TIME! The VIRGIN MOTHER of GOD THE SON JESUS CHRIST Who they all Worship and Adore. Honestly I see this as one of the Greatest act of hypocrisy in Christendom.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 1:16am On Dec 11, 2012
Todaynatoday: ^^^ you are the one acting deceitfully here. I already answered your question with my own question=> where in the bible does it specifically say that we should accord "special" worship/honour to Mary and is there any record/biblical proof of early christians according worship/honour to her?
Stop dodging the question; why can't you answer it if you are so sincere?
Mary has already been "honoured" enough since you say she has been honoured by God, why would she need mere humans to honour her if God Himself is already doing it?. She has fulfilled her purpose already; bringing Christ into the world as a man. This Christ is the one you should worship and not the vessel God used to bring Him. Anyway, my question still stands.
@ Todaynatoday I am begining to like you for you sincerity in accepting that THE ALMIGHTY GOD, [THE MOST HOLY TRINITY] THE CREATOR Of All Things Both Visible And Invisble HONORED a Poor, Humble, Young, Virgin called Mary. You know what?. I will give you 100% for that. But you need to be more sincere buy answering [YES] or [NO] to the last question I asked you and I PROMISE you that the next thing I will post here will contain (mark my words) "SINCERE Answers" to the last two questions you asked. Good Morning! and Remain Blessed! as I await you reply.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Todaynatoday: 2:41pm On Dec 11, 2012
Lovethywilbedon: @ Todaynatoday I am begining to like you for you sincerity in accepting that [s]THE ALMIGHTY GOD, [THE MOST HOLY TRINITY] THE CREATOR Of All Things Both Visible And Invisble HONORED a Poor, Humble, Young, Virgin called Mary.[/s]
That's not what I meant. That was a rhetorical question (since you say Mary has been/is being honoured by God, why would she need honour/worship from mere humans). I was not implying something else.
You know what?. I will give you 100% for that.
Not needed seeing that I meant something else
But you need to be more sincere buy answering [YES] or [NO] to the last question I asked you and I PROMISE you that the next thing I will post here will contain (mark my words) "SINCERE Answers" to the last two questions you asked. Good Morning! and Remain Blessed! as I await you reply.
My answer to the question is, it is not necessary.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 10:22pm On Dec 11, 2012
Honestly because of you INSINCERITY you have decided not to answer my question which is either "YES" or "NO" and nothing more. So far I have asked you 2 questions but you answered only 1. There is no problem, I have to keep to my promise but after this post I will not answer any of your questions untill you answer all my question the way I wanted it. Now I will show you what I call SINCERITY, even when It will make me lose some credit. With all SINCERITY The answer to you 1st question [where in the bible does it specifically say that we should accord "special" worship/honour to Mary.] is "NO" there is no place it was litelarly stated that "we should accord "special" honour to Mary". On the other hand I have priviously given you 3 [and now I will make it 4] places where Mary was honoured in the bible. Just read my privious post: (1). (Luke1:28) by God through Angel Gabrieal (2). (Luke1:42) by the Holy Spirit through Elizabeth (3).(Luke11:28) by Jesus Christ Himself (since Mary is amongs those who heard Gods word and obayed it) ***(4).(Luke11:27) A woman honoured Mary by declering her blessed (for bearing the womb that bore Christ). And for your 2nd question [and is there any record/biblical proof of early christians according worship/honour to her?] With all sincerity the answer to your question is "YES"! are you surprised? Now go back and look at that woman in no4 above, or rather let me help you (4).(Luke11:27) A woman honoure Mary by declearing or according blessings to her (for bearing the womb that bore Christ, in other words, for being the mother of Christ. Which is exactly the reason why we Catholics honour her). Now look closely at this woman. This woman is not a Moselm, a Buddist, or a Hinduist and neither is she a Jewish UNBELIVER otherwise she would not have made such a wonderful statement about Christ. Guess what?. For her to have made such a wonderful statement she must have Believed in Christ and being a follower of Christ, she is a CHRISTIAN. (Probably one of the unnamed 72 disciples of Christ). This is sincerity. Now Guess what Todaynatoday? It is now your turn to show how sincrere you are by answering my own question with all SINCERITY, though this time without yes or no since experience has taught me that you have GREAT PROBLEMS with that. Now answer, [Q1] Show me a place in the bible where it is literaly state " Thou shall not accord any single honour or respect to that poor woman called Mary because the Almighty God has used her and dumped her and therefore she deserves no single respect or honour whatsoever from any living thing". [Q2] Show me one place (remeber that in my case I gave you 4) in the bible where " Mary was Dishonoured, Disrespected, Disgraced , Sidelined, Insulted, Molested and Abused" by the early christians. PLEASE, I want you to give me these two bible SOURCES. HONESTLY if you DON'T HAVE THEM, YOU HAVE NO POINT WHATSOEVER TO PROVE ON THIS THREAD. Goodluck in your search.
Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Todaynatoday: 8:34am On Dec 12, 2012
^^^ There's nothing to prove to you seeing that you are fully engrossed into Mary worship/honour.
You have deliberately twisted scriptures to suit your beliefs. Now, you have said(posted) that there is nowhere in the Bible where it specifically says that we should worship/honour Mary so that is enough for me. Now, if you say Mary should be worshipped/honoured because she heard God's word and obeyed it, then that means every other person that has heard & obeyed God's word deserves the same worship/honour as Mary don't you think? The bottom line is Mary worship/honour is unimportant and not needed for salvation. Lemme leave you with another verse.
Matthew 12:46-50
King James Version
(KJV)
46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his
brethren stood without, desiring
to speak with him.
47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand
without, desiring to speak with
thee.
48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my
mother? and who are my brethren?

49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said,
Behold my mother and my
brethren!
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven,
the same is my brother, and sister,
and mother.
There, you have it. This renders all your questions useless and void.

2 Likes

Re: Questioning The Questioners (the Protestants) by Lovethywilbedon: 3:23am On Dec 13, 2012
@Todaynatoday....... Now Please NoteThe Following Seven Points. [1.] You Admitted that YOU HAVE NO POINT TO PROVE on this topic (because you have no concrete biblical sources to back up your claim). My friend, you are for once becoming SINCERE but it is TOO LATE. ...[2.] YES! everyone who heard and obayed Gods word and finally made it to heaven (All Angels and Saints) are honoured by the Catholic and some Anglican Churches because it is not easy to make heaven and most importantly, because these people haven passed through great tribulation and shared in Christ's sufferings while on earth, now in union with Christ in heaven, they share in His glory. This will includes you Todaynatoday. If you make it to heaven, you will be honoured, I pray that both of us will make heaven. (for more info read my reply to advocate666). ...[3.] Honouring Mary is important ( not compulsory) because it is good to give honour to whom honour is due and doing good things is necessary for my salvation. ...[4.] Your 2 bible verses are almost saying the same thing and in both cases Mary was included (because she also heard God's word and did God's will. Lk1:45) and this therefore indirectly proves my own point. ...[5.] However I will give you one more (now making it 5) bible verse where Mary was honoured. At the wedding in Cana. John2:1-12. To show you how Jesus respects and honours His (parent) Mary and to show you how important Mary is to Him, Jesus granted her request, even though (according to Christ) "THE TIME APPOINTED BY GOD HAS NOT COME". This is "GREAT HONOUR". In fact, this is "THE GREATEST HONOUR" ever given to a creature, because here God almost in a way "contradcited" Himself just to Obay or Please His BELOVED MOTHER Mary. Does'nt it beat your imagination how Jesus could have granted such a request that is not in accordance with the appointed time chosen by God, even when He said He came to earth to do God's will. I tell you the truth. Jesus would not have granted that request if it was made by anyone else be it Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Elijah, even Angel Gabrieal, reason being that it is not yet the time appointed by God. But guess what?. He granted the request of the Humble Virgin Mary to show her some Honour and Respect because she is His BELOVED MOTHER and He is her BELOVED SON. This is exactly the reason why we Catholics honour her. ...[6.] I think that with the help of God, I have tryed my very best to convince you that according simple Honour and Respect to Mary (The Mother of God) is not wrong but rather should be encourage. You are free to hold on to you opinion. I don't know why for the past 3 or 4 days, God singled you out of the whole members of Nairaland and dispersed almost every other person to prevent unecessary change of subject. Anyway I have done my work, let The Spirit of God do the rest. ...[7.] Finall I want to thank you for your wonderful contributions on this topic. Honestly, I must confess, you gave much research work and many sleepless night to the extent that I am awake upto 3:15am this morning of Thursday, 13th December 2012 typing a reply to you. Most importantly you made me learn more about the Sriptures and strengtened my faith in JESUS CHRIST our Lord and His One True Church [The Holy Roman Catholic Church]. Once again I say thank you Very Much, I hope to see you face to face in Heaven. REMAIN BLESSED......................................................................Your's Sister/Brother in Christ. LOVETHWILBEDON. ...............Signing Off................

(1) (Reply)

Extracts Of The Sermon At The May 2013 Holy Ghost Service At The Redemption Camp / Pastor Says No To Women Wearing Weaves In Church / alfa selzer is humblebygrace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.