Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,752 members, 7,840,933 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year (9752 Views)

The Photoshop That Fooled 170 Million Nigerians / Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 / Advantages Of Nigeria's Population. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Pappyto: 7:31am On Feb 16, 2013
nd so f**king what
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by bleufaucon: 7:36am On Feb 16, 2013
Totally false! Don't believe the fools in government who constantly allow the killings of our citizens to go on via vaccinations and eugenics programs. Infant mortality has increased tremendously in the past decade,while young women are being made infertile by the poisonous drugs and vaccines received.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by size38: 8:04am On Feb 16, 2013
This is an understatement. Nigeria is well over 200 million already. During the last census exercise,several people were not captured in d exercise including myself. No NPC official was around my street in port harcourt. Also, there were so many who were not also captured in the East of nigeria.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Nobody: 8:09am On Feb 16, 2013
These guys don't know what they are saying, am sure that by now we don pass 170 Million, how did they get this stats cause they don't know the number of babies been born unrecorded in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by theripper2: 8:15am On Feb 16, 2013
Naija is well over 200 million, courtesy the abokis popping dem almajiris like rabbits.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by tonididdy(m): 8:27am On Feb 16, 2013
we seem to be the enlightened ones who know the implication of this to the sort of ecönomy we have now.lets get on our feet and enlighten nigerians on this...this is not good
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by OluEmmaAss: 9:41am On Feb 16, 2013
Out of which cattles is 20 million! Everything is politicised to gain oil revenue.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Spinshark(m): 10:06am On Feb 16, 2013
Almajeris keeps breeding almajeris with reckless abandon
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by cash22(m): 10:21am On Feb 16, 2013
and we only have 1million Nigerians on nairaland what an internet back drop. we still need web presence
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by ikweremilitant: 11:11am On Feb 16, 2013
KnowAll: Nigeria's population reaches 170 million this year, yet the "magnet city of Lagos's" population remains at 9 million, i guess the upsurge in our population is more evident in "Boharamic prone Kano City", "Jigawa State" and Proobably d Islamic city of execellence "Sokoto".
or don't u knw dat the populatn of rats goats nd cows grow at a geometric progresion in the north
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by zenatta: 11:14am On Feb 16, 2013
Another sane reason why we must never go into war.
170 million! ...and so much is not in place. Where is the infrastructure to accomodate this revelation, where is the "love-of/for-Nigeria" to bolster the core of this claim. Scary!
As for me, and by God's Grace, I shall keep working hard. One doesn't need to be a rocket-scientist to unravel what this portends.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by ikweremilitant: 11:16am On Feb 16, 2013
.Nairaland:
shocked

Time for human castration angry
not only human cows inclusive nd I tnk we shuld stat frm the north
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by K4: 11:17am On Feb 16, 2013
[quote author=Eko Atlantic#]
Black dwarf banku eater, I've got no time for black chest beating gaynian, this is the only time I'll be responding to your post. SHARAP,OLODO.OLE BURUKU.U R AN AZZHOLE N A F00L.A DELUDED LUNATIC IN A FVCKIN SH1THOLE
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by K4: 11:25am On Feb 16, 2013
Valentine Roses: Uneducated fool so u think by producing like pigs is an achievement.
Indeed.not only is that thing uneducated f00l but a fvcking ediot.fuelish ashewo.go jump off a cliff or go take a gas shower. damburu ba shege!
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by plendil: 12:10pm On Feb 16, 2013
Nigerians like phocking too much. that's the problem.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by vanstanzy(m): 12:45pm On Feb 16, 2013
My fellow Nigerians dey FV*CK EHN, no be small. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Where born2fuck dey Come answer question.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by JayKayMaybachz(m): 12:48pm On Feb 16, 2013
.Nairaland:

Most Newly wedded couples in Nigeria no longer have more than two kids most times, but the population is still growing madly, don't know how shocked undecided
Na all diz boys and gehs wen dey diar papa and mama house dey born like 3-4 shildren widout mariage cux am
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by JayKayMaybachz(m): 12:48pm On Feb 16, 2013
Ramcie: Yipee ! now, that's one area we are doing just fine. hian! 170million and me I never even born o!
how we take know ??
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by JayKayMaybachz(m): 12:49pm On Feb 16, 2013
lucenzo: all these calabar people seff angry angry angry angry
werin dem do ??
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by manibuds(m): 1:25pm On Feb 16, 2013
hi moderator can you spice this topic up with data like number of registered phone sims,number of candidates for school leaving exams(pry school);number of ssce candidates;i know JAMB for last year was 1.3m;number of star times boxes,gotv boxes sold,daily average of BRT tickets sold,daily average of buses leaving ojota out of lagos etc,then we'll know if we really are 170million.i maintain that once states start remitting funds to the centre,nigeria's 'population' will shrink.people doing business are complaining everyday,many branches of banks outside lagos cannot boast of 2000 active accounts,yet we are approaching 170m.nairaland just hit 1m members after more than 5years[by the time we make allowance for pple with multiple profiles and non-nigerians,how many go remain?
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 16, 2013
manibuds: hi moderator can you spice this topic up with data like number of registered phone sims,number of candidates for school leaving exams(pry school);number of ssce candidates;i know JAMB for last year was 1.3m;number of star times boxes,gotv boxes sold,daily average of BRT tickets sold,daily average of buses leaving ojota out of lagos etc,then we'll know if we really are 170million.i maintain that once states start remitting funds to the centre,nigeria's 'population' will shrink.people doing business are complaining everyday,many branches of banks outside lagos cannot boast of 2000 active accounts,yet we are approaching 170m.nairaland just hit 1m members after more than 5years[by the time we make allowance for pple with multiple profiles and non-nigerians,how many go remain?
guy because nairaland has 1 million membs does not mean they are less, mind you naija is still a very primitive illiterate kon3. to be honest most still dont know what internet is. naija is more than 200 million!!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by nitlad: 2:04pm On Feb 16, 2013
[size=50pt]Iro nla!!!!!![/size]

This huge lie has been expertly tackled and taken apart here before!

www.nairaland.com/1087724/

Here's the original post from the thread:

HNosegbe: [size=50pt]Ladies and gentlemen, below is a piece written by an anonymous author in an edition of the Guardian. It makes for an interesting and revealing read. Mods, this should be on the front page.[/size]

A COUPLE of years ago, I was trying to look for a link
between population figures in Nigeria and the monthly
allocations from the Federation Account to the states
and our local councils. At the time I had just
discovered the Federal Ministry of Finance’s website
which published the monthly breakdowns in fairly
reasonable detail albeit a few months late.

The National Population Commission also had the
2006 census figures on its website broken down to
local council level as well as the 1991 census figures
broken down to state level. I thought I would find
something of a correlation between the sharing of
money and population figures fairly easily but I quickly
abandoned this task, as it was a nightmare to
understand the formula behind the allocations. There
are too many different components to the sharing and
the only one that is fairly easy to understand is the 13
per cent derivation formula; all of the rest like
population, education and even ecology were all over
the place. So I moved on.

But the trouble was it had taken me three solid days
to extract the census data from the NPC website
because the information was in downloadable PDFs
that were also ‘security locked’ i.e. I couldn’t copy the
data to an excel spreadsheet to make it easier to
manipulate. The Internet came to my rescue as I
found software to unlock the PDFs and get the data
onto a spreadsheet.

Yet again, the data didn’t tell me anything particularly
useful. To be clear, there is a link between population
and revenue allocation in Nigeria (which explains why
our census figures are so contentious) but without
some help from people who know, it is hard to work it
out. After a few days of staring at the data in
frustration, I was speaking to a friend and
discussing Nigeria in general when I managed to
steer the conversation to census figures. I told
him how I had managed to extract the information
and how I couldn’t find what I was looking for. He
laughed and said ‘every census in Nigeria follows
the formula of the one in 1963. The total figure
might be correct, but the allocation of numbers
follows that formula’. He said it with that Nigerian
air of ‘knowingness’ where people are convinced
of what they are saying even though they haven’t
looked at the data.

So I went back home and tried to test his conspiracy
theory. The slight wrinkle in the data was that in 1991,
Nigeria had 31 states and by 2006 an additional five
states (Nasarawa, Bayelsa, Ekiti, Ebonyi, and
Zamfara) had been created. To solve this problem
and make sure I was comparing like with like, I simply
added the numbers of the five new states to the states
from where they had been carved out. So Nasarawa
numbers went back into Plateau, Bayelsa went back
into Rivers, Ekiti went into Ondo, Ebonyi went back
into Enugu (this was a bit tricky as a small part of
Ebonyi was created from Abia state but it’s not
statistically relevant to affect the comparison here)
and finally Zamfara went back into Sokoto.

[b]What I found caused me to rub my eyes in
disbelief. My friend was right; the figures followed
a formula. There wasn’t even an attempt to hide
the formula – it looks as if someone just put a
formula in an excel spreadsheet and came up with
the numbers.

In 1991, Lagos had a population of 5,725,116 out
of a total of 88,992,220 for a percentage share of
six per cent. By 2006, Lagos had 9,113,605 out of
a total of 140,431,790, again for a percentage of
six per cent.

Kano in 1991 had a population of 5,810,470
representing seven per cent of the total. By 2006
there were 9,401,288 people in Kano, again
representing 7 per cent of the total. Every single
state followed this pattern.

How about the combined states? In 1991 Ondo
had a population of 3,785,338 representing four
per cent of the total. By 2006 Ondo had 3,460,877
people while Ekiti (carved out in 1996) had
2,398,957 people. Adding these two states
together gives a total of 5,859,834 which again
comes back to four per cent of the total. This is
the same for Rivers – five per cent in 1991 and
Bayelsa + Rivers also 5 per cent in 2006.

Pick a random state and the results are the same.
Benue had a population of 2,753,077 in 1991
representing 3 per cent of the total and then
4,253,641 in 2006, also three per cent of the total.
Akwa Ibom was 2,409,613 in 1991; three per cent
of the total and 3,902,051 in 2006, again three per
cent of the total. You are getting bored by now so
I will stop. I am sure you get the gist. Again I
stress – these percentages are exactly the same
from 1991 to 2006. The only difference is the FCT
Abuja which obviously did not exist in 1991 but
had a population of 1,406,239 in 2006 for exactly
one per cent of the share of the total. This is
effectively a rounding error in the total and so it
does not affect the ‘formula’.[/b]

The census figures are now six years old and I did
shout myself hoarse at the time about what is a truly
scandalous set of figures. I do not know how it is
possible to have census figures that grow exactly the
same over 15 years. How does Lagos for instance
continue to maintain its share of the population when
the place is a magnet for people migrating from other
parts of the country? We can also conclude that, for
the numbers to have been so shamelessly and
crudely fudged in this manner, there must be a lot
riding on them when it comes to the allocation of
scarce resources.

I spoke to some people about this afterwards and they
said it is very likely the overall figure of 140,431,790
for 2006 was a very good estimate of the real
population of Nigeria given that the EU was heavily
involved in the counting and collating process and
there was a lot of international help given to Nigeria to
conduct the census. But it does seem as if, as soon
as the foreigners left, we simply went back to our old
ways and allocated the numbers as we have always
done.

How do you build a nation on a lie such as this? What
exactly is true about Nigeria? Because people who
will lie about census figures in this manner will
probably lie about unemployment figures and budget
spending.

It is never too late to revisit this matter because in a
few short years, Nigeria will once again embark on
another census exercise. The least we can do is
ensure that such a scandal like this is not repeated.
This does not mean the 2006 figures should not be
subject to a full inquiry; we are a democracy (at least
in theory) so whether or not the numbers are six years
old, they remain in play for serious debate

For once we should try to tell the truth to ourselves as
a nation.

Source

If you have a brain the size of mustard seed, you will see from the above that this is one cruelly conjured, stupefying, bogus figure! undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 16, 2013
170 million ke, e don pass 200 million sef. wait o, the nigerians abroad nko? is thier population not quarter of this?
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by nicago: 3:55pm On Feb 16, 2013
.Nairaland:
50% of the great West Africa undecided
More than 25% of the whole Africa undecided
1/5(one out of five) of every black man angry

Naija I hail thee shocked

And we are not even up to the population of Uttar Pradesh, the fifth largest state in Incredible India.

Uttar Pradesh alone has a population of 199.56 million people and yet Nigeria has much more resources than the whole of India put together but amazingly the Indian government still provides amenities for a whooping 1.3 Billion people..

I pray the Giant wakes up soon!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by godman01(m): 4:05pm On Feb 16, 2013
We are already more than 170 million.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Ebestsmscom: 4:19pm On Feb 16, 2013
Naija is above 170M, where did they even get the result from. Which census.

Pathetic government.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Obiagu1(m): 4:24pm On Feb 16, 2013
Hiking population figures for 2015. sad
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by ducramsey99(m): 6:51pm On Feb 16, 2013
Nigeria has been claiming †☺ be Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ african largest country yet ₪☺ show
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Kairoseki77: 7:34pm On Feb 16, 2013
.Nairaland:
50% of the great West Africa undecided
More than 25% of the whole Africa undecided
1/5(one out of five) of every black man angry

Naija I hail thee shocked

1/5 of every African does NOT mean 1/5 of every black man.

Africa has a lot of Arabs, Tauregs, etc in the North. Brazil has the second largest black population in the world after Nigeria, and there are hundreds of millions of black people spread throughout the world in the Americas, Carribean, Europe, and even Asia.
Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Nobody: 8:46am On Feb 17, 2013
neighboring countries got to catch up undecided
on a serious Big population=more brains to tackle any issue , your pop is a blessing you just have to manage it well , i doubt Nigeria is more corrupt than any other country ...
anyway take a look at the most successful economies/countries in the world all them +100M

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year by Sagamite(m): 11:19am On Feb 17, 2013
KnowAll: Nigeria's population reaches 170 million this year, yet the "magnet city of Lagos's" population remains at 9 million, i guess the upsurge in our population is more evident in "Boharamic prone Kano City", "Jigawa State" and Proobably d Islamic city of execellence "Sokoto".

A quick look at population distribution dynamics of countries with concentrated development (i.e. urbanisation) shows that the largest cities/metropolitan centre tend to host 6 to 10% of overall population.

The region/state/province/district/county that this metropolitan city is in tend to host about 20 to 25% of overall population.

Based on this evidence, and the fact Nigeria has severe concentration of development, the core of Lagos (Ikeja, Yaba, Oshodi, Agege, Ojo, Shomolu, Surulere etc, not the outskirts), should be hosting at least 9.6m of Nigeria's 160m population.

And Lagos State should be hosting at least 32m of Nigeria's 160m population.

Considering Lagos state is a small strip of land relative to the region/state/province/district/county that hosts the metropolitan city of other countries, I can concede to reduce the 32m figure.

Lagos State's population cannot be anything less than 16m (half of 32m) in my view. It is anywhere between 16m to 25m.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APGA Never Endorsed Buhari, Maintains Strong Alliance With Jonathan / NDDC Has Started Recovery Work On Calabar-itu Road / 7 Persons Dead As 2 Suicide Bombers Attack Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.