Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,271 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola (19987 Views)

Igbos And Lagos Economy / Who Runs The Lagos Economy? / Africa's New Biggest City Is Lagos - & Economy To Outweigh Johannesburg By 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by playto(m): 6:27am On Mar 06, 2013
Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola has said the economy of the state is rated above Ghana and the United Kingdom. He also said his administration is currently executing about 1,966 projects across the state.

He said the projects would boost government's plan to transform the state and turn it into "Africa's modern" mega city.

The governor said this on Tuesday during the inspection of ongoing projects in Lekki and Victoria Island in Lagos.

Fashola said, "Currently we are executing about 1,966 projects across the state. The projects we have visited really are the ones that have problems. We have been going round to see what the problems are instead of just reading reports.

"Now we are having a feel of the challenges and see whose ministry is responsible and what we can do to ensure that the ministries and contractors are communicating. These inspections are to ensure that we get many of those projects completed."

Fashola insisted that on completion, the projects would further endear the Action Congress of Nigeria to the electorate.

He said the party would beat the opposition with a wide margin during the 2015 general elections in the state.

He assured the residents that the Ikoyi-Lekki Link Bridge would soon be inaugurated, saying the bridge required finishing work and toll plaza.

The governor, who also flayed the Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku's assertion that the ongoing national good governance tour was muted at the Governors' Forum, said it did not mean all the governors supported the initiative.

He said, "The question I asked then was of what purpose is the tour? Do the people of Nigeria need a tour to know that they are being well governed? What is the tour supposed to achieve? Are they resolving problems at project sites? Where are their projects? What is the value of tour when you can't implement a budget? I can go on tour of projects because my budget performed 89 per cent last year.

"I am not on a good governance tour. I am on a project inspection tour trying to solve problems at project sites."

Fashola argued that the yardstick for measuring good governance could only be done by those who know, adding that the economy of Lagos is now rated ahead of Ghana and the United Kingdom.

The governor said, "Currently, the Lagos State economy is being upgraded from stable to positive, that's good governance, you don't need any campaign to do that."

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-economy-rated-above-ghana-uk-fashola/

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 6:36am On Mar 06, 2013
uk!!! wow!! thats amazing! so lagos is doing this good and my two friends there are begging me for dollar, may God punish someone grin

17 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Aderostock(m): 6:36am On Mar 06, 2013
This is my Governor! Well said, sir

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 6:53am On Mar 06, 2013
Toaskarity: uk!!! wow!! thats amazing! so lagos is doing this good and my two friends there are begging me for dollar, may God punish someone grin
I hope say no be me cry

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Ngwakwe: 7:13am On Mar 06, 2013
Why is Fashola so proud to be dishing out unconfirmed Statistics?

Are those overrated, Photoshop and computer printed projects included in those numbers.

Gov. Fashola's performance - Average

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by BedLam: 7:15am On Mar 06, 2013
Toaskarity: uk!!! wow!! thats amazing! so lagos is doing this good and my two friends there are begging me for dollar, may God punish someone grin
Brother na wa o....this Fashola of a Co/rk self! very soon na Lagos 2nd best economy after US.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 7:18am On Mar 06, 2013
sheyie2007:
I hope say no be me cry

i dnt.think so
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 7:19am On Mar 06, 2013
UK? - Bwahahahahaha

Why not Switzerland?? undecided undecided

I don't even think Lagos' economy is as strong as neither Birmingham nor Manchester... undecided undecided

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by gbadexy(m): 7:22am On Mar 06, 2013
That na confirm na, lagos economy is definitely bigger than ghana's economy but I doubt if lagos economy or nigerian economy for that matter is bigger than that of U.K
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Demdem(m): 7:24am On Mar 06, 2013
The governor, who also flayed the Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku's assertion that the ongoing national good governance tour was muted at the Governors' Forum, said it did not mean all the governors supported the initiative.

He said, "The question I asked then was of what purpose is the tour? Do the people of Nigeria need a tour to know that they are being well governed? What is the tour supposed to achieve? Are they resolving problems at project sites? Where are their projects? What is the value of tour when you can't implement a budget? I can go on tour of projects because my budget performed 89 per cent last year.

"I am not on a good governance tour. I am on a project inspection tour trying to solve problems at project sites."

The action Governor has spoken cool

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 7:39am On Mar 06, 2013
"What is the tour supposed to achieve? Are they resolving problems at project sites? Where are their projects? What is the value of tour when you can't implement a budget? I can go on tour of projects because my budget performed 89 per cent last year"....Fashola

It's now obvious that Fashola thinks he's COMPETING with the federal govt. Is the state govt supposed to COMPETE with federal govt? This COMPETITION mentality is what has been causing schisms between federal govt and southwest state governors. The southwest governors are just being CHILDISH. There should be COLLABORATION between all tiers of govt to deliver services to the people, irrespective of party affiliation.

After all the president was in Lagos recently to flag off the Eko Atlantic city project.

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 7:47am On Mar 06, 2013
UK? I doubt that, as for Ghana it has been long.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 06, 2013
Demdem: The governor, who also flayed the Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku's assertion that the ongoing national good governance tour was muted at the Governors' Forum, said it did not mean all the governors supported the initiative.

The action Governor has spoken cool
Even if all the governors didn't support the tour when it was deliberated at Nigerians Governors Forum, but the fact that majority supported it in the forum should imply that the minority that opposed the idea during deliberation should fall in line. Isn't that the essence of an association such as NGF? If decisions taken after deliberation at the NGF cannot be abided by all parties what then is the essence of NGF?

Assuming we take Fashola's word that he opposed the idea during deliberation at NGF, why didn't he state make his opposition public then (mid last yr)? Why now? Why wait until the tour has gone half way before making his opposition public?

From all indications, the opposition to the tour by Southwest governors is an after thought. They'r afraid of the positive publicity the programme is generating nationwide

16 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by GARRIx10: 7:51am On Mar 06, 2013
Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku's assertion that the ongoing national good governance tour was muted at the Governors' Forum, said it did not mean all the governors supported the initiative.

Its now obvious that contrary to what LIARbaran Maku said, some Governors (e.g.) Oshiomole and Fashola didn't support the GGT..

the economy of Lagos is now rated ahead of Ghana and the United Kingdom

I'm interested in the criteria used in this rating mentioned by Mr. Fashola.

Anyway, well done Mr. Governor on your 89% budget implementation. How I wish the PDP-led FG can score up to half of that...

smiley

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Musiwa17: 7:54am On Mar 06, 2013
what is well said in that.. The economy of Ghana is bigger than lagos. but the economy of the western Niger(nigeria) is bigger than Ghana.

The western Niger has a large GDP than Ghana.

There is no west africa nation that has a GDP more than the Western Niger of Nigeria. or even the North of Nigeria..
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by GARRIx10: 7:57am On Mar 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Even if all the governors didn't support the tour when it was deliberated at Nigerians Governors Forum, but the fact that majority supported it in the forum should imply that the minority that opposed the idea during deliberation should fall in line. Isn't that the essence of an association such as NGF? If decisions taken after deliberation at the NGF cannot be abided by all parties what then is the essence of NGF?

Assuming we take Fashola's word that he opposed the idea during deliberation at NGF, why didn't he state make his opposition public then (mid last yr)? Why now? Why wait until the tour has gone half way before making his opposition public?

From all indications, the opposition to the tour by Southwest governors is an after thought. They'r afraid of the positive publicity the programme is generating nationwide

The bolded like most of your posts doesn't make any sense. He's not accountable to NGF but to. Lagosians (afterall it's their money that will be spent on the jamboree). If resolutions passed at the level of NGF won't be in the best interest of his people, then he is‎​ free to ignore such..

Meanwhile Lagosians are not complaining about Fashola's stand on the GGT issue..

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Nobody: 8:01am On Mar 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: "What is the tour supposed to achieve? Are they resolving problems at project sites? Where are their projects? What is the value of tour when you can't implement a budget? I can go on tour of projects because my budget performed 89 per cent last year"....Fashola

It's now obvious that Fashola thinks he's COMPETING with the federal govt. Is the state govt supposed to COMPETE with federal govt? This COMPETITION mentality is what has been causing schisms between federal govt and southwest state governors. The southwest governors are just being CHILDISH. There should be COLLABORATION between all tiers of govt to deliver services to the people, irrespective of party affiliation.

After all the president was in Lagos recently to flag off the Eko Atlantic city project.

When the Federal Government is not living up to expectation, you shouldn't blame a performer 'Fashola' who is mile ahead of his co-governors for having a bigger dream of comparing his way of administrating to that of the president.
How I wish other governors can boast of project this man is making mouth of.

A governor presently executing 1966 projects across the state! Never heard of that from any governor in Nigeria.

It's his doing let him be proud of it. A federal government being weak doesn't mean governors should also limit themself. The FG really have to wake up

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Demdem(m): 8:19am On Mar 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

1) some decisions by the forum is expected to be followed by all but decisions like this kind of waste is non-binding especially as it regards individual states. It's not all decisions that are binding. NGF isn't autocratic.

2) timing is everything. If there was a bomb blast around that time, it will be unwise for him to be talking of such issues. Whether be said it then or now is immaterial, the bottom line is we know his position and this has been consistent since even during the govs parley.

3) ur opinion which is obviously wrong. No gov yet has come out to declare that fashola lied and such didn't happen in their meeting. So how do u know this? Were u there? The concept is obviously a waste and its not difficult to see reason with the oposition that they weren't in for such.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by drnoel: 8:24am On Mar 06, 2013
Its just a pity he had to open his mouth just to show us how ignorant he is.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Soloblincus(m): 9:38am On Mar 06, 2013
The football sector in uk alone outweighs fashola's economy

1 Like

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by PapaBrowne(m): 10:29am On Mar 06, 2013

Fashola argued that the yardstick for measuring good governance could only be done by those who know, adding that the economy of Lagos is now rated ahead of Ghana and the United Kingdom.

The governor said, "Currently, the Lagos State economy is being upgraded from stable to positive, that's good governance, you don't need any campaign to do that."

So much hypocrisy going on. I respect Fashola, but seriously these guys need to know that we aren't fools.

You use a rating agency's report to say that Lagos is performing excellently. So you say Lagos is doing good.
That same report says Nigeria is performing outstandingly and has even been rated above the BRICS(excluding China) and has been placed under a new classification called MINTs and yet your party opens its mouth to say Nigeria's economy is on the brink of collapse.

The last I checked, Lagos constitutes the bulk and the base of the Nigerian economy with all the economic head offices situated here. So if as the ACN wants us to believe, our economy is on the brink of collapse, how come Fashola says Lagos performance rating is excellent!!

Its like saying, your body is about to collapse but you head is doing excellently! Hypocrisy.

I am big fan of Fashola and I don't want him to go the way of El Rufai, who has become so directionless in his baseless attack. Fashola is too intelligent for this crap!

28 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by KnowAll(m): 10:36am On Mar 06, 2013
I think what d Governor meant was Lagos State's economy is growing faster than d UK and Ghana. Not that it is bigger. Can Lagos economy be even bigger than Peckham? I doubt it.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by iseyinoro(m): 10:51am On Mar 06, 2013
Fashola should provide the source of this and show us statistics.He is one of the best governors though.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Krucifax(m): 1:48pm On Mar 06, 2013
Nigeria's GDP is US$413.402 Billion Pending revision from 2011 (i.e it is actually higher)= Source IMF

Ghana's GDP is US$90.0 Billion Current = Source IMF

U.K's GDP is US$2.316 Trillion Current = Source IMF

Lagos State GDP is US$33,679 Billion Old figures = Source Canback Global Income Distribution Database.

Yes Lagos try no be small but Fashola should stop cracking bad jokes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all the unenlightened cretins here making comments about how it is about a “Moody and Fitch Rating and not GDP” here’s an education for you.
A Sovereign Credit Rating Agency(which is what Moody & Fitch or Standard & Poor are) uses the following to determine Sovereign Credit Rating;

1.Per capita income.
2.GDP!!!!!!!!!!!
3.Inflation.
4.Fiscal Balance.
5.External Debt.
6. Economic Development.

In case your brains haven’t gotten my drift yet, GDP is the most important factor hence my listing it out.
And i wasn’t criticizing Fashola just stating a fact. Do me a favour next time please pick an argument with someone at your own I.Q level!!

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by koruji(m): 2:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
Lagos competing with FG?
You must be smoking leaves?

Before GEJ found his shoes Lagos has being performing. The one competing is the one copying projects or outright shamelessly stealing them. We all know who that is ? If you need examples I can indulge you but I know you know.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with competition. It can only help some docile arms of govt. to do something for the life of them.

Sincere 9gerian: "What is the tour supposed to achieve? Are they resolving problems at project sites? Where are their projects? What is the value of tour when you can't implement a budget? I can go on tour of projects because my budget performed 89 per cent last year"....Fashola

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by koruji(m): 2:30pm On Mar 06, 2013
He probably doesn't mean size but there is a need to be careful since the basic interpretation when one hears such a statement is size of the economy. It is also possible he was quoted out of context.

Krucifax: Nigeria's GDP is US$413.402 Billion Pending revision from 2011 (i.e it is actually higher)= Source IMF

Lagos State GDP is US$33,679 Billion Old figures = Source Canback Global Income Distribution Database.

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by reporter1: 2:52pm On Mar 06, 2013
Krucifax: Nigeria's GDP is US$413.402 Billion Pending revision from 2011 (i.e it is actually higher)= Source IMF

The governor was not referring to size of the economy, but economic ratings by organisations such as Fitch, S&P, Moody, Egan-Jones, Nigeria Bureau of Stats etc.
Next time, try to comprehend within the context of a text before criticizing.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by 7lives: 4:03pm On Mar 06, 2013

Na war o, so there is no need for competition, our collaboration with the FG in the last dispensation didn't benefit us, so we need this competition to keep our administrators on their toes.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by solomon111(m): 4:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
koruji: Lagos competing with FG?
You must be smoking leaves?

Before GEJ found his shoes Lagos has being performing. The one competing is the one copying projects or outright shamelessly stealing them. We all know who that is ? If you need examples I can indulge you but I know you know.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with competition. It can only help some docile arms of govt. to do something for the life of them.

so lagos state can compete with the FG?
Lol.
It can't even compete with akwa-ibom state in basic developmental indices.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by Obiora4life: 4:09pm On Mar 06, 2013
Unfortunately, the man called Fashola will do anything to repair his image, like PointB rightly point, he's a showman, nothing else.
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by nitrogen(m): 4:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
solomon111: so lagos state can compete with the FG?
Lol.
It can't even compete with akwa-ibom state in basic developmental indices.
Are you sure of this?
Re: Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola by solomon111(m): 4:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
7lives:
Na war o, so there is no need for competition, our collaboration with the FG in the last dispensation didn't benefit us, so we need this competition to keep our administrators on their toes.
shut up.
There is nowhere in the world where a state competes with the FG.
Even in countries practicing true federalism,States compete with states and not with the FG,let alone Nigeria where the FG provides the bulk of revenue available to lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Borno APC Chairman, Lawmakers Scale Fence For Refusing To Pay Hired Thugs / Anambra Election: Aba People Observe Sit-At-Home (Video) / Labour Crisis: FG Directs Kaduna To Follow Principle Of Redundancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.