Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,935 members, 7,832,096 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban (17054 Views)

Court Legalises Abalaka's HIV Vaccine, 16 Years After / Teeth And Thrive In An Appealing / After 2 Years I Am Still Producing Milk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by lekanolas: 3:13pm On Jun 20, 2013
Nigerian markets are still flooded with anti-malaria drugs such as Chloroquine, Artesunate, Sulphadoxine pyremethamine among others, two years after they were banned by World Health Organization (WHO) for being used for the treatment of malaria.

The global health agency had in 2011 banned the drugs from being prescribed for the treatment of the disease “in order to delay or prevent the development of drug resistance malaria”.

WHO says treatments that use only artemisin need to be taken for seven days to kill all parasites, but, according to the agency, patients often stop treatment after a few days when they begin to feel much better. This, it stresses, leaves the remaining parasites in contact with low levels of the drug – a recipe for resistance. Hence, it recommends the use of artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACTs) which are to be taken within three days.

Conveying the message to journalists in Lagos, former WHO Country Representative, Dr David Okello said: “WHO has recommended the ban of the production, importation and prescription of artemisinin monotherapies. It has also launched a global plan to contain or control the spread of arteminsinin-resistant malaria. There is no place for the use of Chloroquine and sulphadoxine pyremethamino in the treatment of malaria in Nigeria. Artesunate alone cannot treat malaria. Sulphadoxine pyremethamine are no longer recommended in the treatment of malaria.”

National Mirror investigations revealed that some or all of these drugs are still on sale in virtually every chemist shop across the country and are taken by Nigerians who are affected by malaria, even as over 97 of the country’s population, according to the Minister of Health, Prof Onyebuchi Chukwu, are at risk of having malaria.
http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/chloroquine-artesunate-others-thrive-in-nigeria-2-years-after-who-ban/

2 Likes

Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by dominique(f): 7:38pm On Jun 20, 2013
Those medicines are still very much available in chemists, sold without prescription too. God help us in this country.

1 Like

Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Lagusta(m): 8:00pm On Jun 20, 2013
dominique: Those medicines are still very much available in chemists, sold without prescription too. God help us in this country.

did u say chemists

some qualified doctors still prescribe it in hospitals, they say it's cheap and readily available!!!

naija I hail thee!!!

3 Likes

Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Nobody: 4:38am On Jun 21, 2013
very nice information... mods front page ooo
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by dominique(f): 8:10am On Jun 21, 2013
Lagusta:

did u say chemists

some qualified doctors still prescribe it in hospitals, they say it's cheap and readily available!!!

naija I hail thee!!!

Chemists, pharmacies, roadside kiosks all join. Its disturbing how banned drugs are still readily available. Novalgin sold for years after it was banned. Shame sad
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by israel007: 12:49pm On Jun 21, 2013
nce topic
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by coldgate(f): 12:53pm On Jun 21, 2013
I wonder what role Nafdac is supposed to play in our health system?
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 21, 2013
was at a friend's chemist and was shocked to see chloroquine abi wetin dem dey call am... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked i remember asking him if dem neva ban dis medicini and d guy jos look me like say i be wall angry angry angry angry
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by mohammedmagnus: 12:58pm On Jun 21, 2013
coldgate: I wonder what role Nafdac is supposed to play in our health system?
. Don't mind dose nafdac pple dem dey do eye service wella
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by vedaxcool(m): 12:58pm On Jun 21, 2013
Sulphadoxine pyremethamine is good against malaria atleast the gentleman should educate us on why we should not take it, but na wa oh, how did we come to know of this 2 years laters? Abi na nollywood 2 years later be this?

3 Likes

Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jun 21, 2013
I think those that need to be blamed are the custom people. Are these products made in Nigeria??

If imported and the sellers could bribe their way through, there's little NAFDAC can do than make adverts and let its citizens know that these drugs are potentially harmful to their health

Shollypopz
A vote for intellignce is a vote for Ekwah

1 Like

Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 21, 2013
I don't blame WHO....since they don't have Malaria in their countries, why won't they come and be banning rubbish? And trust Nairalanders; since na White man's law....no need for questions, they are always right sad. but when a Nigerian organization makes a much more reasonable law, they rain curses. Mtcheew

Now on to my points why I think this is the most stupiid ban ever!
1.The reason given doesn't warrant that the drug be banned!:
'People don't complete their doses thereby can create resistance breeds' blah blah blah..... and the next thing you do is to ban? Whatever happened to Hospitals sensitizing their patients on how important it is to complete their doses? Sorry WHO, but if na the same Nigerians I know; The fact that they don't complete 7-day Chloroquine doses translates to: 'Your 3-day dose ACTs Alternative will be taken for just one day!'

2. WHO might mean 'World whatever' but can't dictate to us 'what works for us' or 'doesn't'!: Yea...that's what it is. And thank God NAFDAC didn't even bother to enforce their nonsensical ban! I thought only 'irredeemably harmful' drug are meant to be banned? These drugs are not even 'harmful' (in the real sense of it) to start with. Most medical personnel I've asked think the ban is unnecessary. Besides, have they finished banning Genetically Modified Foods in their countries? That they are banning harmless drugs in Africa? Yeye people. angry

3. Chloroquine still remains one of the best cures for Malaria: Yea...someone like me for example; that 'ACTs alternative' provided doesn't cure me (I don't know why). How did I know this? During the time it was banned and Choroquine etc were taken off Pharmacy stores, I had malaria. one those ACTs was prescribed for me. I used the complete dose, yet no changes. The Hospital had to later prescribe Chloroquine for me. Infact, I was unable to get it in big pharmacy stores (cos I don't like Chemists; i fear fake drugs embarassed). I had to report back to the hospital and they were able to dust out one for me from their 'Archive' . <--------I guess the ban is not enforced in Nigeria cos of people like me.

11 Likes

Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:03pm On Jun 21, 2013
Eh! Most people still dey eat Chloroquine & Artesunate o!
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Okijajuju1(m): 1:06pm On Jun 21, 2013
That is why I only prescribe dongwonyaro for my patients... angry

3 Likes

Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Okijajuju1(m): 1:06pm On Jun 21, 2013
Shollypopz: I think those that need to be blamed are the custom people. Are these products made in Nigeria??

If imported and the sellers could bribe their way through, there's little NAFDAC can do than make adverts and let its citizens know that these drugs are potentially harmful to their health

Shollypopz
A vote for intellignce is a vote for Ekwah

No... Malaria drugs are not imported but made in Nigeria by every half baked pharmacuetical company.

blame Nafdac who still approves and allows these durgs to be made and sold in nigeria.

i guess this is so because the alternative would be quinine treatment which would mean going into a hospital for a drip. And you and i know that hospitals scare for nigeria.l
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Skywalker5(m): 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2013
na wa o. but this were the drugs i was using when i had malaria in Nigeria and it was very good.
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by PHIPEX(m): 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2013
News like this makes one wish Dora Akunyili is still in NAFDAC, watch as govt agencies will start trading blames on who allows it into the country.

1 Like

Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by jhydebaba(m): 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2013
I have malaria, what medicine should I use
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Sealeddeal(m): 1:11pm On Jun 21, 2013
I dont think artesunate monotherapy is still in use in Nigeria. That artesunate is sold does not mean its used without combination. Patients should endeavour to get their medicaments from a registered pharmacists so as to ensure that necessary information is given to him on the use of the drug product.
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by dazzy4real(m): 1:12pm On Jun 21, 2013
Hmmm na wao if not for now that am reading this I never knew those drugs were baned bfore! And the last time I checked all these drugs re still everywere..if they want to ban sometin next time they should let people be aware of it na...
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by gunuvi(m): 1:14pm On Jun 21, 2013
The best approach to this is for each and everyone of us to go and tell all pharmacy in our areas that the Nafdac people are seriously arresting people who still sells these drugs and fabricate serious lies that will make dem fear. You will see that within 24 hours all those drugs would be buried by same pharmacists.
May God help us in this Gods own country. Amen
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by enigmagu1(m): 1:26pm On Jun 21, 2013
make una d talk wetin una no sabi.

Artesuinate in combination wt sulfadoxine/pyrimetamine (SP) is far better in treating malaria dan the WHO recommended artemeter/lumefantrine......

Find out from doctors, treating malaria is not coming here to talk on nairaland.

.._____________________________________________
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by scaler345: 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2013
What really is d matter wit this country? An issue as important as this not getting wide media attention nationwide .... Imagine the drugs were banned 2 years ago? OMG!!!
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by AbuMikey(m): 1:29pm On Jun 21, 2013
See Gobe I just came back from a Teaching Hospital not too long ago and they prescribed artesunate for me oo...I don drink two tablets inside sef!!!......Help! Help!! Help!!!
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by 3ace(m): 1:31pm On Jun 21, 2013
Ha! chloroquin, dis melecin suffer me no be small wen i bin dey school. Na so so to dey scratch body and i no go baff for like 3 days. Thank God for my life today as i no dey need am again. But sincerely, it is an effective drug. Dem no born d parasite well. As per their availability after ban, I'm not surprised. Nigeria don't take policies seriously. We only make policies, we don't implement them.

1 Like

Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by dridowu: 1:32pm On Jun 21, 2013
Hmmmmmmmm, so sad after how many pple go don die because of d rubbish drug
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Melikam(m): 1:58pm On Jun 21, 2013
more awareness pls
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by BrightCar: 1:59pm On Jun 21, 2013
coldgate: I wonder what role Nafdac is supposed to play in our health system?

I wonder all this confusion. Am just hearing it for the 1st time that Artesunate is a banned drug. Do you know I take it virtually every three weeks, and there is no pharmacy that doesnt have it.
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Cashio(m): 2:02pm On Jun 21, 2013
Dancing ALINGO..wetin dis chloroquine do me eeehh.........
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by mafioso47(m): 2:02pm On Jun 21, 2013
Not all antimalarial drugs have been banned. People should endeavour to read well before commenting. WHO recommends the use of artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACTs) which are to be taken within three days because only Artesunate antimalarial drugs tend to be more active and patients dont usually complete their doses when they begin to feel a bit relieved. Thereby forming a specie of the drug resisting malaria parasites.
If you have malaria, Go for drugs that are ACTs and complete your therapy #datsall.
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jun 21, 2013
I don't blame WHO....since they don't have Malaria in their countries, why won't they come and be banning rubbish? And trust Nairalanders; since na White man's law....no need for questions, they are always right sad. but when a Nigerian organization makes a much more reasonable law, they rain curses. Mtcheew

Now on to my points why I think this is the most stupiid ban ever!
1.The reason given doesn't warrant that the drug be banned!:
'People don't complete their doses thereby can create resistance breeds' blah blah blah..... and the next thing you do is to ban? Whatever happened to Hospitals sensitizing their patients on how important it is to complete their doses? Sorry WHO, but if na the same Nigerians I know; The fact that they don't complete 7-day Chloroquine doses translates to: 'Your 3-day dose ACTs Alternative will be taken for just one day!'

2. WHO might mean 'World whatever' but can't dictate to us 'what works for us' or 'doesn't'!: Yea...that's what it is. And thank God NAFDAC didn't even bother to enforce their nonsensical ban! I thought only 'irredeemably harmful' drug are meant to be banned? These drugs are not even 'harmful' (in the real sense of it) to start with. Most medical personnel I've asked think the ban is unnecessary. Besides, have they finished banning Genetically Modified Foods in their countries? That they are banning harmless drugs in Africa? Yeye people. angry

3. Chloroquine still remains one of the best cures for Malaria: Yea...someone like me for example; that 'ACTs alternative' provided doesn't cure me (I don't know why). How do I know this? During the time it was banned and Choroquine etc were taken off Pharmacy stores, I had malaria. one those ACTs was prescribed for me. I used the complete dose, yet no changes. The Hospital had to later prescribe Chloroquine for me. Infact, I was unable to get it in big pharmacy stores (cos I don't like Chemists; i fear fake drugs embarassed). I had to report back to the hospital and they were able to dust out one for me from their 'Archive' . <--------I guess the ban is not enforced in Nigeria cos of people like me.
Re: Chloroquine, Artesunate, Others Thrive In Nigeria, 2 Years After WHO Ban by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 21, 2013
I'm confused actually. how can sulphadoxine pyrimethamine be banned. isn't it the gold standard for the prevention of malaria in pregnancy? IPT?? ofcos it shouldnt be used alone for malaria treatment but to say it has been banned, I don't agree. Artesunate mono therapy ofcos is very wrong but its not like you can't use it with amodiaquine or SP.

edit: I av added a screenshot of the rollbackmalaria website which shows that artesunate + S/P is one of the recommended ACTs

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Almond Slimming Tea Available Now.....burn Fat Fast Without Side Effects. / A Lebanese Juice Manufacturing Plant In Kano: Sickening Images / 10 Helpful Ways To Stop Bad Breath

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.