Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,927 members, 7,824,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement (2438 Views)

Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents / Do You Have An Entitlement Mentality? / Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by Ketimae(f): 3:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
I know it happens in other countries, but the sense of entitlement by many Nigerians is truly sickening. The rate at which many of them feel entitled to the properties, monies, time, effort etc of others, makes you almost want to throw something at them.If it's not uncles in the village waiting for a nephew to die of natural causes, so he can inherit his properties; or as is often the case, aid the process along by killing the said nephew, it is someone somewhere, condemning another for using his money or property in the way that he or she wishes to do so.

You man, is your name Mister Siddon Chop? Why will you not get off your behind and do something for yourself? Where is your sense of shame? Why would you feel comfortable always being at the receiving end, collecting and never giving? Why are you happy, going from one uncle's house to the other, begging for money instead of getting a job? And if they refuse to give you the money you ask for or give you a sum less than you expected, you go around telling every member of the family that his wife has bewitched him and stopped him from throwing open his pockets to the family leeches? Who told you that you can be indolent and sashay through your life, placing your hopes on the fact that your father will one day pass away and leave you the sole heir of his property? You even go as far as picking up girls on this premise, promising them the good things that you have no claim on.
YOU NO GET SHAME? If you have no shame, I have volunteered to be ashamed on your behalf.

You woman, is your name Madam Give Me All? Why would you not get up and apply for a job like many people out there are doing? Or if you don't want to work for someone, why don't you start your own business? Who told you that it is okay for you to go round, begging for money from men? Today you call Peter to take you for lunch, tomorrow you call Paul for dinner. They may say they're willing to be your maga, but for how long will you keep paying?
The law of diminishing returns will soon set in and that body you think is your strong point, will fade like a trampled flower on a cold hamarttan morning. Who told you that it is okay to buy all the latest phones (from your ATMs - Aristo's Throway Money), latest fashionable clothes, shoes, jewelry and yet, you keep bouncing from one girlfriend's house to another, squatting? If you're staying in some other person's rented apartment for more than one year, that one is no more squatting or temporary accommodation o! You are now a tenant-at-will. YOU NO GET SHAME? Cos if you've got none, I don volunteer to shame for you!

I cannot, and will never understand people who have more children than they can raise and then begin to farm them out and burden relations with their offspring. Too often, I see people come and dump their children in a relation's home. Those
children are fed, clothed and given an education. However, they soon begin to use those children as James Bond's local contact on a spy operation. They want to know all that's going on in that family, they seek to manipulate event there and sometimes, even try to destroy the home. Yes, destroy. A lady once let her niece come and live with her. She lost her husband to the young girl. The shocking part was where the niece's mother got angry and accused the lady of being selfish. Why wouldn't she let other people in the family partake of the good thing she'd found? she said. Shocking, isn't it.
In a court case I was privy to, after one of the hearings in court while everyone was still milling around outside, the plaintiff's brothers clearly told him to the hearing of all that were present, "Bet here, you will soon die and we will inherit your property."
The man did die soon thereafter. Unfortunately, one cannot prove voodoo in court.
Then there are those ones who believe that since they contributed even a meager sum to your school fees, they're entitled to you and all that is yours, for the rest of your life and theirs. Some even seek to extend that obligation after their deaths with words like, "These my nine children, they're now your children o! Now that I'm going to meet our ancestors, please take care of them. Make sure they all go to school and become graduates"; conveniently forgetting that you've got family and responsibilities of your own.

I pity men that try to pick up a woman and begin to say, "Oh, my father owns Sheraton, the Transcorp Hilton and Virgin Atlantic Airways." Really? What do YOU own?
Someone who can afford it, buys a seventy-thousand naira phone and you scream blue murder. What extravagance, you say! Well, has it occurred to you that your ten-thousand naira phone is an obscene expenditure for someone who pays one thousand naira for her son's fees at the government school down your street and has no money to pay for the third term? Or do you know that somewhere, someone would fall ill if they heard you spent five thousand naira on a pair of shoes?

Sometime ago, the news in the social media was that Mike Adenuga bought a burial vault in Ikoyi for two hundred million naira (200,000,000.00 naira). There's nothing I didn't hear people say.
"That money should be used for the poor." How much have you given to the poor in your lifetime and how many poor people have you given something to? That man that sits down the street, begging, have you ever given him one thousand naira? Two? Five? Have you ever bought him new clothes?
"What a waste!" His money, abi?

"All this for a body that will rot!" At least he knows he'll die one day and is making arrangements. You, have you even written a will? Have you made any arrangements so that those who survive you won't have to pawn off the very clothes on their backs in order to give you a befitting burial?
And one that was so ridiculous: "Imagine! We that are buying phone lines and recharge cards from him have never seen a million and he's wasting two hundred like this?" Wait, bro! Did you just give him money and walk away or did you pay for a service that was rendered? Did someone stop you from being like him? Were you even born when he began to work for his money? Have you ever asked him for money and he refused to give any to you?

I'm not saying those who have much should not share or give to those in need, if they can. I am saying they shouldn't be forced, cursed or nagged into doing so. Even God, who own all things, says that He loves a cheerful giver and each man should give according to what is in his heart.
Wake up and do something! Make something of yourself. Stop expecting others to always be the ones to give to you. Get tired of collecting handout and charity. Just stop policing the way another person spends their money or uses their property. It is theirs.
Quit blaming your uncle or brother's wife for the little they can spare from their savings for the indolent you. Take responsibility for yourself.
As for those who do nothing but lie in wait, plan for and hope to inherit other people's property, God help you!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by Wulfruna(f): 4:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
KETI IS ON NAIRALAND!!!!!! *shriek* shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by tpia5: 4:22pm On Oct 17, 2013
op contact tehn if you feel burdened by the needs in the society.

your epistle is too long to analyze properly, and in addition, all that stuff about farming out relatives and whatever, africa is a polygamous society, if you dont like the idea of large familes, address that first and also address the high level of promiscuity among africans who consider it a curse to not have as many women as their wetincalls allow.

and vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by Akshow: 5:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
U raised good points op and I get where u are coming from. Its truly sickening to see people expect u to deal with their shaiit. But on d oda hand, I guess u are a 'been to'and u are comparing Nigeria's extended family system to the 'individualized' western world.
Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by Ketimae(f): 5:59pm On Oct 17, 2013
Wulfruna: KETI IS ON NAIRALAND!!!!!! *shriek* shocked shocked shocked shocked

Hahahahahah...Why are you so shocked? A certain someone's shenanigans finally dragged me here smiley
Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by Ketimae(f): 6:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
Akshow: U raised good points op and I get where u are coming from. Its truly sickening to see people expect u to deal with their shaiit. But on d oda hand, I guess u are a 'been to'and u are comparing Nigeria's extended family system to the 'individualized' western world.

I wouldn't call myself a "been-to" and I know the place of the extended family. But look at the economy today and the high cost of living and tell me if it is still proper that we indulge relatives who irresponsibly keep on having children they can't care for and saddle them on others.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by tpia5: 6:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
Is this rant about your relatives?

Maybe you need to address them directly, instead of displaying aggression on nl.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by Wulfruna(f): 7:07pm On Oct 17, 2013
Welcome to Nairaland, Keti. In time, u'll learn that it isn't worth ur time to engage some people here in an argument.

I love ur perspective on this. Perceptive...as always. smiley kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by Ketimae(f): 11:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
tpia@:
Is this rant about your relatives?

Maybe you need to address them directly, instead of displaying aggression on nl.

Really, tpia? That's really what you thought when you read the article? Tsk tsk...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by Ketimae(f): 11:20pm On Oct 17, 2013
Wulfruna: Welcome to Nairaland, Keti. In time, u'll learn that it isn't worth ur time to engage some people here in an argument.

I love ur perspective on this. Perceptive...as always. smiley kiss

Thank you, Wulfruna. I'm already getting a taste of what you meant smiley
Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by tpia5: 12:55am On Oct 18, 2013
Ketimae:

Really, tpia? That's really what you thought when you read the article? Tsk tsk...

yes, new id, you need to take a deep breath, calm down then explain why other people's money concerns you so much.

you have none of your own maybe, or you want more in addition to what you say you already have.
Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by Ketimae(f): 11:56am On Oct 18, 2013
tpia@:

yes, new id, you need to take a deep breath, calm down then explain why other people's money concerns you so much.

you have none of your own maybe, or you want more in addition to what you say you already have.

Lol....amusing comment. I'm actualy beginning to think you didn't read the piece.
Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by tpia5: 11:40pm On Dec 02, 2013
you are too angry and need to get over yourself.

i just saw another of your rants, is there a man or men putting up with all this crap you spew or are you letting off steam from loneliness and attention seeking.

try to get out more, it can help clear your cobwebs.
Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by Ketimae(f): 3:30pm On Dec 04, 2013
tpia@:
you are too angry and need to get over yourself.

i just saw another of your rants, is there a man or men putting up with all this crap you spew or are you letting off steam from loneliness and attention seeking.

try to get out more, it can help clear your cobwebs.
After reading your comment, I do truly believe you're the one who needs to be out in the world, bro. smiley
Re: Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement by tpia5: 4:21pm On Dec 04, 2013
Arrogance and grandiosity, never a good combination.

All you ever do is drop rants, too bad for you.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians And 'rankadede' Mentality / How Would You Greet By 9pm? / Please Translate "Ko Korum Magana Ce"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.