Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,438 members, 7,917,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 01:27 AM

Wolof People - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Wolof People (28114 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 27, 2013
Djibril Diop Mambety , film director

Rama Yade, french bitch politician

Singer Akon
[img]http://page3pics.files./2012/03/akon-wallpaper-hd-12.jpg[/img]

Wolof man

Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:31pm On Oct 27, 2013
The Wolof guy I met the other day looked a bit like Akon.
Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 3:04pm On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella: I find Kocc Barma's story interesting

Birima Maxureja Fall a.k.a Kocc Barma was a philosopher who lived in Kayor between 1586 and 1655. He was renowned for his intelligence and wisdom. He was the cousin and main councillor of the Damel (king) Dau Demba.

Kocc Barma had a special hairstyle: he had booked on his head four tufts of hair as on the pic. Each of these clumps , is a moral truth only me and my wife know, he used to say. His wife had on her side a son from a first marriage .
The Damel , curious to know about these , looked long and in vain to discover the secret. Finally he resorted to trickery . He summoned the philosopher's wife and won her by offering her gifts. So, She told him the moral truths of the four clusters that were :
"A king is neither a parent nor a protective "
"Your step son is not your son "
" You may love your wife, but never trust her "
" Old men are needed in a country"
The king was furious about the first symbol and the philosopher condemned to death. While they were running to the execution place , an old man enjoying a great credit to the king by his wisdom and prudence, and willing the good of the country went to the Damel and showed him that the death of Kocc would be an irreparable loss for the kingdom, as he needed his advice in difficult circumstances. Meanwhile the son Kocc's wife had from a 1st marriage , noting that Kocc was wearing his clothes , requested that he must de undressed before being killed.
The old man finally obtained grace for Kocc who was brought to the king. Strongly rebuked about his singular ideas , Kocc replied without emotion :
" Isn't it true that a king is not a protective nor a parent , as you condemned me to death, wrongly , forgetting all services I have given you and constant friendship that had bound us since our childhood ? "
" Isn't it true that one must love his wife but not trust her , since my wife that I had made ​​custodian of my secret to test her loyalty , betrayed me for vile presents ? "
" Isn't it true that a step son is not a son , since at the time he should weep for his father , who was sentenced to death , he asked him for clothes which he feared the loss? "
"Isn't it true that old people are necessary in a country , since without a wise and prudent old man whose gravity was able to dominate your passion , I would not be living at the moment ? "

Fantastic stuff, Thiendella, I love it.

Now this is the sort of stuff I'm talking about! Thanks for sharing. smiley

Was this information handed down / retold over the centuries by groits the famous story tellers?

PAGAN 9JA:
wow.

How do you know all this info AMAZING!

I know, it is, isn't it?

This is the sort of thing I'm hoping you too might be able to tell me about yours - your religious practices smiley
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 5:42pm On Oct 27, 2013
It really is a fabulous thread

2 Likes

Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
The Wolof guy I met the other day looked a bit like Akon.
He has quite a common look
Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:
He has quite a common look

I agree.
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 2:26am On Nov 02, 2013
bumped smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oba Of Lagos Recieves Emir Of Kano HRH S. Lamido Sanusi. PICS. / 10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is The Best Country In The World / African American Tourists Visit Oba Of Benin (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.