Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,883 members, 7,841,310 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

Your Oral & Dental Health. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Your Oral & Dental Health. (2924 Views)

Dental Health Benefits.... / VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) / Best Dental Clinic In Lagos, Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 9:19am On Dec 09, 2013
For those with Oral and Dental interest and Issues, post your requests and inquiries ; and I will attend to them as soon as I can. I am a Dentist practising within Lagos Metropolis. 

For those of you that wish to send me a private message, I can be reached on drkayz@outlook.com 

How To Prevent Tooth Decay •

Do you or your family members get cavities frequently? Dental research has identified factors that increase your risk of getting decay. Next time you visit your Dentist  ask about your risk factors and discuss the best ways to reduce your risks and limit dental decay.

To prevent your teeth from decaying, you can do two things — strengthen your teeth's defenses with fluoride and sealants, and reduce the number of bacteria in your mouth.

Fluoride strengthens teeth by penetrating the tooth structure and replacing lost minerals to repair acid damage. Everyone should brush with a fluoride toothpaste every day. At times we recommend additional toothpastes, gels and mouth rinses for both children and adults.

Sealants are protective coatings placed over the tops of chewing teeth — molars and pre molars. They block bacteria and acids from sticking in the tiny grooves on the chewing surfaces of these teeth. Children should get sealants soon after their teeth erupt into the mouth.

Although you can never get rid of all the bacteria in your mouth, you can control bacteria by brushing regularly and flossing daily, visit us for regular thorough cleaning and check-up, and reducing the number of times each day that you consume fermentable carbohydrates.

Some prescription mouthwashes can help prevent decay by reducing the number of bacteria in the mouth. Chewing sugar less gums,can help reduce decay and increase the flow of saliva.
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 2:05pm On Dec 14, 2013
Nearly every one of us suffers from bad breath problems at some point. One in Four of us suffers chronic bad breath, a condition that can have serious personal and professional implications. We all use mints and mouthwashes to try to get relief; however these products actually make our breath worse.

Some of us may not be aware of the problem that may be plaguing us. If you are not sure about your breath, then do the following: Lick the back of your hand, wait for 5 seconds, and smell it. We do apologize for how repulsive this might sound but our concern is your oral health and it is necessary for you to know exactly what others feel about your breath.

If you are plagued by Bad breath, please visit your Dentist for management.
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by Contumely: 7:19pm On Dec 14, 2013
okeys112: Nearly every one of us suffers from bad breath problems at some point. One in Four of us suffers chronic bad breath, a condition that can have serious personal and professional implications. We all use mints and mouthwashes to try to get relief; however these products actually make our breath worse.

Some of us may not be aware of the problem that may be plaguing us. If you are not sure about your breath, then do the following: Lick the back of your hand, wait for 5 seconds, and smell it. We do apologize for how repulsive this might sound but our concern is your oral health and it is necessary for you to know exactly what others feel about your breath.

If you are plagued by Bad breath, please visit your Dentist for management.
What about using Euthymol, I think it doesnt contain fluoride?
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 3:23pm On Dec 15, 2013
Contumely:
What about using Euthymol, I think it doesnt contain fluoride?

Euthymol is not used to management of Bad Breath.
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 7:33pm On Dec 29, 2013
A new study, which was commissioned by the World Health Organization (WHO), has provided new evidence that the reduction of the total intake of free sugars, namely natural sugars and those added to foods, could benefit oral health significantly. For instance, it showed that lower intake of sugars was associated with lower levels of dental caries.

BlackBerry Channel: C001E3912
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by goldenvicky(f): 12:26am On Dec 30, 2013
How can one get white teeth back again?
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 8:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
goldenvicky: How can one get white teeth back again?

The Individual needs to visit a Dentist trained in Providing Teeth Whitening. The whitening paste don't work on their own. For effective whitening, please visit a trained whitening Dentist. U can send me a message on my Email.
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by Originalsly: 6:36am On Dec 31, 2013
It is better not to use toothpaste/gel or mouthwash that contains fluoride. Fluoride is not good for oral health. Eat a spoonful of fluoride and you will be foaming at the mouth before dropping dead. Fluoride is a poison...don't believe the hype.

1 Like

Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 9:13am On Dec 31, 2013
Originalsly: It is better not to use toothpaste/gel or mouthwash that contains fluoride. Fluoride is not good for oral health. Eat a spoonful of fluoride and you will be foaming at the mouth before dropping dead. Fluoride is a poison...don't believe the hype.

What is the basis of your statement on Fluoride?! Do you know what Fluoride is and the benefit of fluoride to the dental health?! Are informed on how fluoride has benefited we humans since its benefit to the oral and dental health was discovered?!
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 9:32am On Dec 31, 2013
What is fluoride?

Fluoride is nature’s cavity fighter and occurs naturally in varying amounts in water sources such as rivers, lakes and even the oceans. Fluoride is naturally present to some extent in certain foods and beverages but the levels vary widely.  To help protect teeth from cavities, fluoride is also added to some dental products such as toothpaste.

How does fluoride protect teeth?

Fluoride benefits both children and adults. Here’s how:

Before teeth break through the gums, the fluoride taken in from foods, beverages and dietary supplements strengthens tooth enamel making it stronger and more resistant to cavities. This provides what is called a “systemic” benefit.

After teeth erupt, fluoride helps rebuild (remineralize) weakened tooth enamel and reverses early signs of tooth decay. When you brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste, or use other fluoride dental products, the fluoride is applied to the surface of your teeth. This particular action is called a “topical” benefit.

In addition, the fluoride you take in from foods and beverages continues to provide a topical benefit because it becomes part of your saliva, constantly bathing the teeth and helping to rebuild weakened tooth enamel.

What is water fluoridation?

Community water fluoridation is simply the addition of fluoride to drinking water to supplement what is already present naturally in order to bring the fluoride level up to the optimum level that helps prevent cavities.

@ Originalsly : Be informed by the right professionals on a topic before making blind statements on a matter you have little or No idea on.
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by Originalsly: 12:18pm On Dec 31, 2013
What you quoted is the hype. Is it natural fluoride being used in toothpaste? What studies have proven that fluoride used in toothpaste and added to potable water is of benefit to oral health? Comprehensive studies have proven the opposite....causing spotted and teeth discoloration. If fluoride was that good as you claim then why is it fluoride is almost never added to water nor toothpaste in health conscious Europe?...except the UK? Why do manufacturers of non fluoride mouthwash and toothpaste in the US boldly print "do not contain fluoride" or "fluoride free" on their products which sell more expensive than ones containing fluoride? Are they mad? After all...I'm not a professional so how dare I challenge your proclamations?
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 1:42pm On Dec 31, 2013
Originalsly: What you quoted is the hype. Is it natural fluoride being used in toothpaste? What studies have proven that fluoride used in toothpaste and added to potable water is of benefit to oral health? Comprehensive studies have proven the opposite....causing spotted and teeth discoloration. If fluoride was that good as you claim then why is it fluoride is almost never added to water nor toothpaste in health conscious Europe?...except the UK? Why do manufacturers of non fluoride mouthwash and toothpaste in the US boldly print "do not contain fluoride" or "fluoride free" on their products which sell more expensive than ones containing fluoride? Are they mad? After all...I'm not a professional so how dare I challenge your proclamations?

Is it natural fluoride being used in toothpaste?
Yes Fluoride is a mineral derived from a natural occurring element called Fluorine.
What studies have proven that fluoride used in toothpaste and added to potable water is of benefit to oral health?
You should research this question on WHO website and UNDP website. You could also search for your answer from "Center For Disease Control". They are credible enough to answer your question.

Comprehensive studies have proven the opposite....causing spotted and teeth discoloration. If fluoride was that good as you claim then why is it fluoride is almost never added to water nor toothpaste in health conscious Europe?.
Teeth discoloration due to Fluoride occurs when an individual ingest Too much fluoride. In fact, it was the teeth discoloration due to too much fluoride that led to d discovery of the benefits of Fluoride. There is a safety dose of fluoride one should ingest so as to avoid such discoloration. This safety doses are regulated in most countries. World nations benefit from fluoride, either as Fluoride in water, fluoride in milk or fluoride in toothpaste. Fluoride content in these systems differs from country to country. The USA may have good percentage of fluoride in their drinking water while their toothpaste may have lower or NO fluoride content compared to toothpaste sold in Nigerian; and water supply in Nigeria may contain fewer fluoride compared to USA. But in all, the combination of the different ways for a community to have access to Fluoride, are of low fluoride concentration that can not predispose to teeth discoloration due to fluoride. Rather, the benefit of fluoride greatly out weighs it's disadvantages. I have managed patients that have been using Fluoride containing toothpaste for 40 years, and there is no history of tooth discoloration, Tooth Decay, or tooth sensitivity.
Please, kindly mention ONE country in Europe that does benefit fluoride?!
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by Originalsly: 4:38pm On Dec 31, 2013
I don't know of any European country that widely adds fluoride to its potable water supply or toothpaste/mouthwash except the UK. The US adds to both potable water and toothpaste/mouthwash...in fact it is not so easy to find toothpaste without fluoride. You are correct in what you said about natural fluoride...but is that what is contained in toothpaste? The other fluoride..the chemical...that was used for rat poison is the very one they extended to use in water and toothpaste...but what do I know? On the CDC and the WHO...do you really think they have your health as a priority? They used to...but now do the biddings of the corporations. Weren't they the ones that scared the world about bird flu?..to sell vaccines?...then scare the world after with swine flu...claiming the bird flu vaccine is effective against swine flu? Be wary of propoganda.
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 10:41pm On Dec 31, 2013
Originalsly: I don't know of any European country that widely adds fluoride to its potable water supply or toothpaste/mouthwash except the UK. The US adds to both potable water and toothpaste/mouthwash...in fact it is not so easy to find toothpaste without fluoride. You are correct in what you said about natural fluoride...but is that what is contained in toothpaste? The other fluoride..the chemical...that was used for rat poison is the very one they extended to use in water and toothpaste...but what do I know? On the CDC and the WHO...do you really think they have your health as a priority? They used to...but now do the biddings of the corporations. Weren't they the ones that scared the world about bird flu?..to sell vaccines?...then scare the world after with swine flu...claiming the bird flu vaccine is effective against swine flu? Be wary of propoganda.

European Countries Do apply fluoride in water, fluoride in toothpaste and fluoride in Milk. Fluoride use have come to stay in helping prevent tooth decay and building strong teeth. I as a Dentist recommend fluoridated toothpaste to patients with high incidence of dental caries ( tooth decay), and there is always a lot of improvement in their dental health.
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by Originalsly: 11:45pm On Dec 31, 2013
I hear you. Moving on... I have no clue... from your experience what is it in chew sticks that is good for oral health?
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 12:16am On Jan 01, 2014
Originalsly: I hear you. Moving on... I have no clue... from your experience what is it in chew sticks that is good for oral health?

Chewing sticks are made from twigs of certain trees e.g salt bush (toothbrush tree), used for tooth cleaning the teeth by many populations. In Nigeria, these twigs can also be gotten from Orange and lime trees. Chewing sticks contain antimicrobial substances that can benefit oral hygiene.
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by timi007(m): 7:38am On Jan 01, 2014
Pls i need ur help i get frequent decay in my teeth.due to this ve visited dentist which they get my teeth removed wen ever it happen.im in my early 40s.im fed up wit this ve removed 3 of it cos of this what can i do b4 all my teeth remove.
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by okeys112(m): 8:50am On Jan 01, 2014
timi007: Pls i need ur help i get frequent decay in my teeth.due to this ve visited dentist which they get my teeth removed wen ever it happen.im in my early 40s.im fed up wit this ve removed 3 of it cos of this what can i do b4 all my teeth remove.

Hello.

You need to be proactive not Reactive. Your Reactive actions are " I go to the dentist when I have a tooth decay". Most likely you visited the dentist when the tooth decay has destroyed your tooth/teeth to the extent that the dentist can't save it.

You can be proactive by visiting your Dentist twice a year for General Dental check up. That way, any developing tooth decay can be treated. You need to brush your teeth with a Good tooth brush and Fluoride containing toothpaste. You need to brush twice daily ; in the morning after break fast and at Night after supper/dinner. Visit your Dentist for he or she to educate you more based on your Life style.
Re: Your Oral & Dental Health. by avrilcory: 2:05pm On Jan 02, 2014
If you need help with a specific dental problem, or you are due for a regular wellness check-up. Woodvalepark Dental invite you to come into our clinic for treatment that will permanently solve your teeth problems. We can help you set up your first visit to our clinc, and put you on the path to better dental health and a better smile. You can visit us and explore us

Thanks !!!

(1) (Reply)

Can A Lady Get Pregnant When A Guys Pre Cum Liquid Touch Her Vagina / Please Help A Sister!!!! My Health Is Deteriorating / Grow Taller Even If Your Parents Are Short

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.