Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,111 members, 7,821,816 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? (17890 Views)

See Ben Bruce's Electric Car That Is Charged With Solar (photo) / Sachi Motorsport - Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1,8 20V Turbo 5MT / I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by ping2ping: 2:28pm On Dec 16, 2013
Please I see mostly in Volkswagen products having Turbo Charged Engine and I wonder, what exactly is a turbo charged engine?

I notice that turbo charged engines produces higher power that their non turbo engines. For example you will see 1.8L turbo engine producing about 140hp while a 2.0L engine will produce 120hp.

Can the turbo engine be easily fixed by most Nigerian mechanics?

Thanks for all your contributions
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:43pm On Dec 16, 2013
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Trac: 5:26am On Dec 17, 2013
ping2ping: Please I see mostly in Volkswagen products having Turbo Charged Engine and I wonder, what exactly is a turbo charged engine?

I notice that turbo charged engines produces higher power that their non turbo engines. For example you will see 1.8L turbo engine producing about 140hp while a 2.0L engine will produce 120hp.

In addition to the links the previous poster referenced:

Turbos do not produce horsepower. That's an affect. Here is the relationship: Torque = [(RPM/HP) * (5252)]. It's a turbine (centrifugal in configuration). It can used in two applications. One is to magnify torque and the other is to increase overall efficiency (not fuel efficiency as mainstream denotes but comprehensive, thus higher return in fuel mileage; nevertheless 62.5% gain is attained). The second is never (or rarely) used in passenger vehicles. The reduction in engine capacity is as a result (assuming all things equal) of the piston ceiling being domed and the atmospheric induced configuration (non-turbo) being flat. The conversion to power is a lot complicated to explain; for it has to do with chemistry of reaction and the translation of the thermal energy. The engine limitations and power harnessed is in this phase - set by the engineers. The turbine is just a variable.

Don't take this as judgmental: don't purchase one. A lot goes into owning one than one without. It is also a wear item and some could be expensive to maintain.

7 Likes

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by ping2ping: 10:03am On Dec 17, 2013
@Trac
Thanks for that response. I always thought that the engine might be difficult for ordinary Nigerian mechanic to handle well. I don't have so much money to go to expensive auto technicians
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by JUO(m): 10:32am On Dec 17, 2013
@Trac: please put me through. i was thinking turbo will increase horse power?

1 Like

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Areaboy2(m): 4:24pm On Dec 17, 2013
Trac just made everything sound much more complicated than it actually is. I don't think he needs to know torque to power formula.

In its simplest explanation, a turbocharger is a device that forces more air into the engine and improve its efficiency and thereby increasing output power.

If you think of how the conventional engine works. air mixed with fuel gets sucked into the engine and compressed before burning to give power. Turbo gives you more air in your engine.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I think most (if not all of them) turbochargers in cars get their power from the exhaust stream?

But OP. all you need to know is my first line of reply. except you are thinking of getting a turbocharged car then you might want to do some more research on the topic if its an older model car. With a brand new car, you should have no problem worrying about how your turbo works

20 Likes

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by KA24DETT(m): 12:01am On Dec 18, 2013
Area_boy: Trac just made everything sound much more complicated than it actually is. I don't think he needs to know torque to power formula.

In its simplest explanation, a turbocharger is a device that forces more air into the engine and improve its efficiency and thereby increasing output power.

If you think of how the conventional engine works. air mixed with fuel gets sucked into the engine and compressed before burning to give power. Turbo give you more air in the engine.

Someone correct me if im wrong here but I think most (if not all of them) turbochargers in car get their power from the exhaust stream?

But OP. all you need to know is my first line of reply. except you are thinking of getting a turbocharged car then you might want to do some more research on the topic if its an older model car. With a brand new car, you should have no problem worrying about how your turbo works

You are right . Turbochargers get their air from the exhaust. Force fed induction.
That's a simple lay man explanation . Of course it gets more complicated but I don't think OP is interested in the technicalities and the engineering factors that goes into designing one .
Here in North America with government mandated fuel economy standards . Automakers are turbocharging small displacement engine to satisfy consumer taste for power and govt fuel economy standards .
Good explanation

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by sultaan(m): 3:59pm On Dec 18, 2013
Yeah Trac light is on now grin grin.

Turbo is one little expensive gizmo added to some small engines to give it some ump like bigger engines.

Turbo engines need about 1 litre of engine oil extra to lubricate it so if your mechanic added the usual 4 litres at service you may be very low at next service.

A turbo engine is usually about $1600 more expensive than a regular engine.Turbo can be added to any engine but because they cost thousands not really worth it for most

1 Like

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by oblo(m): 8:07am On Dec 19, 2013
@ Op.. Explanations have been made already but let me add that the air that is force fed into the combustion chamber is actually cooled before entry via a seperate mini 'radiator'.

I currently own and use as my everyday commute a 2001 VW jetta 1.8t Wolfsburg edition and if you ask me it's a been bliss riding it. Got it @ about a 100k miles and have added another 62k miles to it.

Its prone to sludge hence premium grade synthetic oil is to be used.

So far the only things I have changed or fixed are the front shocks, both radiator fans, ac compressor and just yesterday discovered my radiator bust and will be changing that my self today....and general service which I do once a month at least because I travel a lot.

The car is sweet to drive and when the turbo kicks in u can feel ur back pressed against the seat#wink# its smart and is definately not slugish.

Honestly my 1.8t is as close as I would get to a V6 ride with less fuel consumption I think when it comes to blasting past on the highway.

I remember once on the trip from onitsha to abeokuta I raced a merc ml 350. Mehn that car dey run sha.. But for real wen we both slowd down @ busy area I saluted the man and he did same cuz I guess he know say my car sef no be beans and I try..the last time I checked my speedobefore we slowed it was @ 210km!! Before una tok abeg I no dey race again oo! I don marry get one cute pickin..sorry issue now so no more stunting for me!

I am aware that the turbo if it packs up its a headache and quite a costly one to fix but abeg... With ppl like Siena to bring in parts on request why worry. I kuku dey enjoy am now! All car get their short comming so as long as I maintain aandd look after my car no worries for now. And if the OP wana get one.. Abeg do!

6 Likes

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by icemann(m): 9:29pm On Dec 19, 2013
Turbos are easy to fix. Any mechanic that can't fix or change a car turbo should not hold a spanner or look under a hood

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 20, 2013
icemann: Any mechanic that can't fix or change a car turbo should not hold a spanner or look under a hood.

I couldn't agree more.

1 Like

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Trac: 5:05am On Dec 21, 2013
ping2ping: @Trac
Thanks for that response. I always thought that the engine might be difficult for ordinary Nigerian mechanic to handle well. I don't have so much money to go to expensive auto technicians

There are a lot more variables to a turbo-induced engine than the atmospherically-aspirated engine. There are more concerns to be aware-of, plus the socio-economical standard does not favour many of the 'turbo' configurations marketed. The atmospherically-aspirated engine is the cheapest and the worry-free of the two configurations discussed (especially on Nigerian space).

JUO: @Trac: please put me through. i was thinking turbo will increase horse power?

Torque = [(RPM/HP) * (5252)]
HP = [(Torque * RPM) / (5252)]

From the relationship, The function will always be affected by the expression. There will be horsepower gains (the affect) with the addition of the turbine but the primary function (purpose) of the sub-system is to increase torque (at the crank - that is where the effect is). You "arrange" for one or the other. Horsepower increase is as a result of the increase in torque (which goes in line with your perception). It's not always the case though: it depends on how the designer or builder "arranges" the variables (power trade-offs to favour enormous torque).
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Trac: 5:29am On Dec 21, 2013
Area_boy: Trac just made everything sound much more complicated than it actually is. I don't think he needs to know torque to power formula.

If you think of how the conventional engine works. air mixed with fuel gets sucked into the engine and compressed before burning to give power. Turbo give you more air in the engine.

Someone correct me if im wrong here but I think most (if not all of them) turbochargers in car get their power from the exhaust stream?

You are correct, all he needed was the first response. My contribution was to supplement the youtube links in the first response. Without the arithmetic expression, the content could still be understood plus economic considerations were factored into my response. The OP had no problem with the content.

sultaan: Yeah Trac light is on now grin grin.

Turbo is one little expensive gizmo added to some small engines to give it some ump like bigger engines.

Turbo engines need about 1 litre of engine oil extra to lubricate it so if your mechanic added the usual 4 litres at service you may be very low at next service.

A turbo engine is usually about $1600 more expensive than a regular engine.Turbo can be added to any engine but because they cost thousands not really worth it for most

The content is not complicated. Anyway, as you stated it's a gizmo. Blunt truth! In actuality, it's a gimmick when you understand how heat-engines express themselves. There is no increase in efficiency. It's just a hyped perception for us to manage-with and accept the huge inefficiencies.

icemann: Turbos are easy to fix. Any mechanic that can't fix or change a car turbo should not hold a spanner or look under a hood

Sincerely; "turbos" (the vehicle) do NOT run on air. It is also out of the realm of the mechanics. The formulation (or configuration) of the fuel in liquid-state sold in Nigeria does not lend itself favourably to such sub-systems. It has nothing to do with the mechanics but operational. This is further exacerbated with the fact that most of such engines require a state-of-health to be at least near-optimum. It's one headache that can be avoided.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by icemann(m): 8:28am On Dec 21, 2013
Trac:

You are correct, all he needed was the first response. My contribution was to supplement the youtube links in the first response. Without the arithmetic expression, the content could still be understood plus economic considerations were factored into my response. The OP had no problem with the content.

The content is not complicated. Anyway, as you stated it's a gizmo. Blunt truth! In actuality, it's a gimmick when you understand how heat-engines express themselves. There is no increase in efficiency. It's just a hyped perception for us to manage-with and accept the huge inefficiencies.

Sincerely; "turbos" (the vehicle) do NOT run on air. It is also out of the realm of the mechanics. The formulation (or configuration) of the fuel in liquid-state sold in Nigeria does not lend itself favourably to such sub-systems. It has nothing to do with the mechanics but operational. This is further exacerbated with the fact that most of such engines require a state-of-health to be at least near-optimum. It's one headache that can be avoided.

I disagree with you. If you agree that turbos increases torque then how does it not improve overall efficiency? If more torque can be gotten by turbos, you can have a smaller engine with high torque and a higher gear ratio. You save weight by using a smaller engine and you can use more gears in the box.

1 Like

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by icemann(m): 8:56am On Dec 21, 2013
One more thing, you need to cool the compressed air(Inter cooler). compressed gas gets hot (Ideal Gas law or combined gas laws) and can cause pre-ignition and overheating.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by gbonsalifus(m): 10:32am On Dec 21, 2013
ping2ping: Please I see mostly in Volkswagen products having Turbo Charged Engine and I wonder, what exactly is a turbo charged engine?

Very good answers have been given already. But to make the answers as simple and direct as the question for just anybody:
(a) A turbo charger is a very simple device like a small turbine that's mounted on the exhaust manifold/system of an engine. Its function is to force in more fresh air into the combustion chamber for better burn/pressure, hence, more power as u rightly stated.
(b) U dont need to bother about its reparability as a turbocharger is as simple as your car radiator and fan system. It can be managed by any fairly good mechanic.
Just to add, the charger is mounted on the exhaust system so that the high pressure exhaust gas from the engine can drive/spin the turbine. If it is driven by something else (like an electric motor, sometimes), it is called a super charger.

101carsense..com

1 Like

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by gbonsalifus(m): 10:58am On Dec 21, 2013
icemann:

I disagree with you. If you agree that turbos increases torque then how does it not improve overall efficiency? If more torque can be gotten by turbos, you can have a smaller engine with high torque and a higher gear ratio. You save weight by using a smaller engine and you can use more gears in the box.

A turbocharged or supercharged engine is more economical than a non turbocharged one. Now, the problem is with the definition of fuel economy and fuel efficiency.
Auto enthusiasts use the two expressions interchangeably but in engineering, there is a little difference. While Economy puts the cost/price of achieving the output into consideration, efficiency only considers the unit ratio of input to output of a particular system like 'fuel' for example. Can't say it all here, I should write about this on my blog soon.
for those who can comprehend, consider a Nissan GTR vs Audi R8. Also, a Bugatti Veyron vs Koenniseg Agera in relation to this topic Efficiency vs economy'.
Chech out 101carsense..com soon for a detailed talk.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by icemann(m): 1:57pm On Dec 21, 2013
gbonsalifus:

Very good answers have been given already. But to make the answers as simple and direct as the question for just anybody:
(a) A turbo charger is a very simple device like a small turbine that's mounted on the exhaust manifold/system of an engine. Its function is to force in more fresh air into the combustion chamber for better burn/pressure, hence, more power as u rightly stated.
(b) U dont need to bother about its reparability as a turbocharger is as simple as your car radiator and fan system. It can be managed by any fairly good mechanic.
Just to add, the charger is mounted on the exhaust system so that the high pressure exhaust gas from the engine can drive/spin the turbine. If it is driven by something else (like an electric motor, sometimes), it is called a super charger.

101carsense..com

And if it is driven by a belt it is called what?
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by icemann(m): 2:10pm On Dec 21, 2013
gbonsalifus:

A turbocharged or supercharged engine is more economical than a non turbocharged one. Now, the problem is with the definition of fuel economy and fuel efficiency.
Auto enthusiasts use the two expressions interchangeably but in engineering, there is a little difference. While Economy puts the cost/price of achieving the output into consideration, efficiency only considers the unit ratio of input to output of a particular system like 'fuel' for example. Can't say it all here, I should write about this on my blog soon.
for those who can comprehend, consider a Nissan GTR vs Audi R8. Also, a Bugatti Veyron vs Koenniseg Agera in relation to this topic Efficiency vs economy'.
Chech out 101carsense..com soon for a detailed talk.

If its more economical then my friend why haven't car companies adapting this technology in their cars?

So you want blog traffic by putting spin on a simple definition. Don't let me spoil your garri.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by KA24DETT(m): 9:44pm On Dec 24, 2013
icemann:

If its more economical then my friend why haven't car companies adapting this technology in their cars?

So you want blog traffic by putting spin on a simple definition. Don't let me spoil your garri.

Iceman don come lol.

Bros, most automakers are switching up to turbocharging small displacement engine to gain more HP and economy. US government is increasing fuel economy requirement for automakers and everyone is trying to meet up.
Example . Ford Eco boost., GM 1.4l turbocharged Chevrolet Eco ., Hyundai offer their 2.0l turbo instead of v6.
Small displacement turbocharged engines with direct injection and VVT on both CAMS coupled with 6-8speed transmission can achieve very good economy with same power. Weight advantage too .

Yes turbo requires more plumbing than regular engines with some auto manufacturers requiring premium fuel.
The industry is moving towards this direction .
I honestly think the era of 3.5-3.7l v6 is coming to an end.

PS . I will never buy a turbocharged 4. I love my 6 even though I got 2 extra mouths to feed
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 24, 2013
Thanks to other posters that gave simple explanantions. There is no need to confuse posters even more so.

I was previously in the "all motor" category until I purchased an Audio A4 turno on a lark. It was quickly followed by a Mitsubishi Evo IX. The Evo made 300hp from it's 4 cylinder engine. IN between the two I also had a Mercedes Benz C230 with a supercharger.

So the moral of my story, I did not have any added maintenance issue for the turbos. I did have to change the supercharger on the Benz but I used the opportunity to upgrade the pulley for more power.

Personally for me, if turbo is offered in the line up for a model I would seriously consider it.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 10:33pm On Dec 24, 2013
Peugeot has dropped V6 engines, both petrol and diesel engines.

Now, Peugeot launched recently their new Inline-4, 1.6 L, 270 bhp turbo petrol engine in their newly lauched RCZ R. Yes, 1.6 litre I4 engine, producing 270 hp. And guess the car fuel consumption? 44 mpg on highway, with 270 bhp. Impressive!

Ikenna
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by KA24DETT(m): 12:26am On Dec 25, 2013
Ikenna351: Peugeot has dropped V6 engines, both petrol and diesel engines.

Now, Peugeot launched recently their new 1.6 L, 270 bhp turbo petrol engine in their newly lauched RCZ R. Yes, 1.6 litre engine, producing 270 hp. And guess the car fuel consumption? 44 mpg on highway, with 270 bhp. Impressive!

Ikenna

Yeah bro,,, its all packaging now.. its the new phase now.. people are more conscious of fuel economy and still want power.
But damn 270hp from 1.6l thats impressive.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by ping2ping: 11:09am On Dec 27, 2013
It's now very clear that Turbo is used to increase the power output of the engine rather than increasing the engine capacity.

Now, is turbo charged engined easy to maintain by Nigerian mechanics? I ask this question because not everyone can afford to take their cars to dealers or to expensive garages. Most of us patronize these so called road side auto technician who as a matter of fact are trying considering the educational background of most of them.

Does turbo charged engines require more expertise to maintain than regular engines?

Allo contributions will be highly appreciated
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2013
ping2ping: It's now very clear that Turbo is used to increase the power output of the engine rather than increasing the engine capacity.

Now, is turbo charged engined easy to maintain by Nigerian mechanics? I ask this question because not everyone can afford to take their cars to dealers or to expensive garages. Most of us patronize these so called road side auto technician who as a matter of fact are trying considering the educational background of most of them.

Does turbo charged engines require more expertise to maintain than regular engines?

Personally I don't think there's anything untowardly special about maintaining turbo'd cars.

Perhaps a more stringent tune up schedule, oil changes will becoe critical due to higher operating temps under the hood, good quality oil and filter, etc

It's not the turbo cars that scares me in Nigeria, it's the hybrids.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Trac: 8:47am On Dec 28, 2013
icemann:

***********This [however] will be my last technical post on NL. It is time-consuming and not productive. I will be trivial henceforth with minimal interaction. The “thread” should spare me on this. It is a complex question but [I] won't let it off the hook. A disclaimer: it is NOT for everyone. If engineering phenomena disturbs you, do not proceed.

It is impossible to straighten this answer without thermodynamics. As some of us are familiar with, it is a protracted and deductive science.
The comment written contradicts itself. Insomuch that is void of logic. My initial post on this thread has the answer BUT “everyone” condemned that I made the principle complicated. Meanwhile, I had scratched nothing. Those that understood in its entirety need no further explanation. Those without a clue need no explanation.

To answer the first [and only] question:

Torque != Efficiency

That alone renders the whole question as misplaced. Regarding your question and context, I can’t figure the relationship. If you know it, please give me the mathematical expression with the associated principle(s)/law(s) and I will work with that. However, I do know where you are coming from; a perspective fashioned by mainstream media. I will take the extra length to define “constraints” for the purpose of this objective. It will be lengthy but quantifiable in details. Torque by definition is the integration of force in distance (Force * Distance) or mass in acceleration (Mass * Acceleration) and efficiency of a plant has to do with the ratio in work output relative to the heat input of the working fluid.* Efficiency in this discussion is subdivided into three isolated conditions. Thermal efficiency (in a heat engine**) is the fraction of the heat input that is converted to net-work.

The second law of thermodynamics – Claucius: It is not possible to construct a device that operates in a cycle*** and produces no effects besides the transfer of heat from a lower temperature body to a higher temperature body.
The second law of thermodynamics – Planck: It is not possible for any device that is dependent on a cycle to receive heat from a single reservoir and produce a net amount of work.

The definitions have been taken care of and the appropriate laws presented.

No engine or system with a hot exhaust is efficient. None! It is how reversible in process the system is that matters. The internal combustion engine is a closed-system and it is greatly dependent on how reversible**** it is. The less reversible, the more the inefficiency. It has nothing to do with high torque equating efficiency. The turbine is a sub-system. It has nothing to do with the closed-system; for a closed-system does not interact with any of its surroundings besides its immediate surroundings. Any expansive-medium**** that has the addition of heat to it will never exceed the temperature difference in reciprocal to the highest temperature in percentage. That is E = [((Th – Tl) / Th) %]. This is known as the Carnot efficiency. As long as the addition of heat is to the expansive-medium, it will never exceed that efficiency. Furthermore, no heat engine cycle can ever be completed without losing some heat to a lower temperature sink. This is the root to the efficiency and your fuel economy. You want minimal heatloss to increase overall efficiency. The less heatloss, the closer you get to 100%. The maximum theoretical efficiency gotten from a gasoline (spark) engine is 25%. You’ll be lucky if you ever get such efficiency. In similitude, it is as an candidate took an exam and made 18%. That is an epic fail. You’ll be shocked the efficiencies of today’s engines. Things did not get better. Also, the higher the number of cylinders, the less efficient the system will be due to irreversibilities. Irreversible****** processes are higher.

Truth is: mainstream media has not communicated core information. It’s partly because everybody must understand and this is a phenomena that cannot be understood by everyone. As I script this, it’s difficult to express this without going deep plus a lot is omitted. Thermodynamics and Heat-Transfer are sub-genres/disciplines/pillars of Hyper-Physics and it's not shallow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJN0B2RIIMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYwCNThbFeA

Unimaginable! As sensitive as the matter is, they are NOT getting it correct. There are many more. They are not obligated by law to disclose the core.

Don’t fall for the horsepower-torque misconception. In a partial differential mathematical expression, you can freeze a variable and begin to work on the corresponding variable (torque/economy). I hope you caught my drift there. It is wishful thinking that things will change without a heavy price. There is new technology on the shelf. It’s not coming now. At the moment, a test-run is being conducted; a vehicle has been released to forbid you from servicing your own vehicle. You’ll be breaking copyright laws. If it succeeds, then it becomes the norm [moving-forward]. If not, then something else. It’s a business and they want to remain in it.

That is your answer. The gimmick behind the turbines as a turbocharger is another matter. That requires discussion of intimate motive energy and utility principles of the internal combustion engine and it’s purely scientific; because of “low-level” details. It’s unneeded since efficiency has been defined above. In summary, it’s nothing but flexible air-fuel ratio in conjunction with pulse per ignition cycle (duty load). Hence, the word, ingenuity.

What I have disclosed can be proven by anyone that has sound-knowledge of thermodynamics and they can spot the areas that I have left off (omitted). It is full-proof and cannot be bent. However, due to the nature of the content, it requires application of the knowledge and interaction with people to grasp the totality. It's not possible to compress it all as a post.

Let me leave a caveat: vehicles are not going to be engineered efficient for you. There is no profit in that. That burden is left to you. The offer was presented [somewhere] between the forties and sixties and other interests were chosen. It did not matter because it wasn't about them (the me-generation). Talk to old-men/mechanics - they have a different understanding of what the motor vehicle is. Sincerely, they know more about cars than our generation does.

*-------Working fluid is regarded as fuel
**------Cyclic device - an energy converter that uses approximately a fraction of its converted energy e.g. I.C. engine
***-----Temperature differences as it goes high and low. This is known as cyclic processes
****----Processes that can be reversed without leaving a trace to its environment
*****---Fuel as it expands in its surrounding
******--Processes that cannot be reversed
Th - highest temperature of the working fluid
Tl - lowest temperature of the working fluid
Heat-Engine != Internal Combustion Engine - It is a cyclic device. The IC is a heat-engine

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Trac: 9:13am On Dec 28, 2013
gbonsalifus:

Auto enthusiasts use the two expressions interchangeably but in engineering, there is a little difference. While Economy puts the cost/price of achieving the output into consideration, efficiency only considers the unit ratio of input to output of a particular system like 'fuel' for example. [s]Can't say it all here, I should write about this on my blog soon.
Chech out 101carsense..com soon for a detailed talk.[/s]

Direct on the matter and refreshing! It is not "entertaining" to discuss automotive in its default language; engineering/engineer-ish. The fundamental and isolated differences between efficiency and economy does not matter as far as NL (this forum) is concerned; despite the fact it is NOT interchangeable in concept and language. It is not popular. People find it easy to believe anything as long as you don't prove it. It's fast becoming a false environment and/or social-media. It's only a handful that will benefit from this thread.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Trac: 10:29am On Dec 28, 2013
ping2ping: It's now very clear that Turbo is used to increase the power output of the engine rather than increasing the engine capacity.

All you've stated is after-the-fact. The main issue is how you would run it. This is not an environment to discuss anything serious. Talk to people in the real-world with experience and fundamental understanding. Especially those in the oil companies; that is if your skepticism is high. The "intrinsic" detail will be given to you. If the person to whom you interface [with] is unaware, he/she can harness the information by discovery or email. There is a core information that disqualifies these configurations except compensations are made. It's not an open secret, it's out there.

By the way, do not repeat the first paragraph that you've taken time to type (at least in public). It is inherently flawed.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by dgitrader(m): 11:18am On Dec 28, 2013
@ all d cartalk experts
This is the gear nob of vetra b v6 1995 model, notice the 'S' button on top, i used it often for highspeed overtaken. When pressed, theres a burst of speed that even jerks the occupants backwards . The speed of the car sudden shoots and with turbo sound as u see other cars disappear into dots on ur rear view mirrors.
Is this a turbo button?

1 Like

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by dgitrader(m): 11:23am On Dec 28, 2013
Is vectra b 1995 v6 model turbor charged??
Also if the 'S' button is turbo, what will that of manual stick shifts be like??
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by icemann(m): 4:49pm On Dec 28, 2013
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by icemann(m): 5:04pm On Dec 28, 2013
I see you enjoy shearing you knowledge in Thermodynamics, but the sad part is less than 20% of the People in car talk understand you(my estimates From UNESCO says less than 13% grads in the world are science majors)

From my knowledge of Thermodynamics and mechanics I would explain each paragraph to everyone here so they can Understand our arguments instead of throwing big formulas and science laws around and that would cause more confusion.

First

Torque != Efficiency
That alone renders the whole question as misplaced. Regarding your question and context, I can’t figure the relationship. If you know it, please give me the mathematical expression with the associated principle(s)/law(s) and I will work with that. However, I do know where you are coming from; a perspective fashioned by mainstream media. I will take the extra length to define “constraints” for the purpose of this objective. It will be lengthy but quantifiable in details. Torque by definition is the integration of force in distance (Force * Distance) or mass in acceleration (Mass * Acceleration) and efficiency of a plant has to do with the ratio in work output relative to the heat input of the working fluid.* Efficiency in this discussion is subdivided into three isolated conditions. Thermal efficiency (in a heat engine**) is the fraction of the heat input that is converted to net-work

He defined torque as momentum in a circle path, and I agree. He also said part of the energy generated in an engine is used. The rest is wasted through heat, friction etc

The second law of thermodynamics – Claucius: It is not possible to construct a device that operates in a cycle*** and produces no effects besides the transfer of heat from a lower temperature body to a higher temperature body.
The second law of thermodynamics – Planck: It is not possible for any device that is dependent on a cycle to receive heat from a single reservoir and produce a net amount of work.

He explained 2nd law of thermodynamics in 2 different ways. Trust me you don't need to bother yourselves on that

No engine or system with a hot exhaust is efficient. None! It is how reversible in process the system is that matters. The internal combustion engine is a closed-system and it is greatly dependent on how reversible**** it is. The less reversible, the more the inefficiency. It has nothing to do with high torque equating efficiency. The turbine is a sub-system. It has nothing to do with the closed-system; for a closed-system does not interact with any of its surroundings besides its immediate surroundings. Any expansive-medium**** that has the addition of heat to it will never exceed the temperature difference in reciprocal to the highest temperature in percentage. That is E = [((Th – Tl) / Th) %]. This is known as the Carnot efficiency. As long as the addition of heat is to the expansive-medium, it will never exceed that efficiency. Furthermore, no heat engine cycle can ever be completed without losing some heat to a lower temperature sink. This is the root to the efficiency and your fuel economy. You want minimal heatloss to increase overall efficiency. The less heatloss, the closer you get to 100%. The maximum theoretical efficiency gotten from a gasoline (spark) engine is 25%. You’ll be lucky if you ever get such efficiency. In similitude, it is as an candidate took an exam and made 18%. That is an epic fail. You’ll be shocked the efficiencies of today’s engines. Things did not get better. Also, the higher the number of cylinders, the less efficient the system will be due to irreversibilities. Irreversible****** processes are higher.

He tried to explain 2nd law of thermodynamics in relation to efficiency of an engine and the percentage of the overall heat generated is used> He said 25% is Used and I don't agree. It is less than that

The Lower heating value of Octane(the major component in gasoline) is 44 mega joules in 1 kg of octane and most V6 produce 200kw at 5000RPM. No need to crack your head its less than 25%

Don’t fall for the horsepower-torque misconception. In a partial differential mathematical expression, you can freeze a variable and begin to work on the corresponding variable (torque/economy). I hope you caught my drift there. It is wishful thinking that things will change without a heavy price. There is new technology on the shelf. It’s not coming now. At the moment, a test-run is being conducted; a vehicle has been released to forbid you from servicing your own vehicle. You’ll be breaking copyright laws. If it succeeds, then it becomes the norm [moving-forward]. If not, then something else. It’s a business and they want to remain in it

He tried to use mathematics to model or will I say explain something I can not understand. It was to opened with too many variables. I cnt help here I am not a math major.

Like I sais Torque is Newton per Meter same as momentum. If you generate more momentum form an engine you can push harder on a gear system and create more speed a lot better than less toque on the same Rotation speed(RPM)

In lay mans terms. If you change to a bigger gear in your bicycle it be come harder to ride because the torque your leg is generating is constant and the bicycle gear is resisting your speed. Now if you increases your energy you will def move faster. Same applies to a car

Lets not make this thing complex.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

300,000th G-class Rolls Out Of Production Line In Graz / Six Ways To Kill Your Car / The New Ferrari Portofino Has Been Unveiled With 590hp (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.