Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,837 members, 7,848,382 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 10:06 PM

7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe (31798 Views)

Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors / How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 25, 2013
Myth: Shaved hair grows back faster, coarser and darker

Fact: A 1928 clinical trial compared hair growth in shaved patches to growth in non-shaved patches. The hair which replaced the shaved hair was no darker or thicker, and did not grow in faster. More recent studies have confirmed that one.

Here's the deal: When hair first comes in after being shaved, it grows with a blunt edge on top, Carroll and Vreeman explain. Over time, the blunt edge gets worn so it may seem thicker than it actually is. Hair that's just emerging can be darker too, because it hasn't been bleached by the sun.

Myth: You should drink at least eight glasses of water a day

Fact: "There is no medical evidence to suggest that you need that much water," said Dr. Rachel Vreeman, a pediatrics research fellow at the university and co-author of the journal article.
Vreeman thinks this myth can be traced back to a 1945 recommendation from the Nutrition Council that a person consume the equivalent of eight glasses (64 ounces) of fluid a day. Over the years, "fluid" turned to water. But fruits and vegetables, plus coffee and other liquids, count.

Myth: Fingernails and hair grow after death

Fact: Most physicians who queried on this one initially thought it was true. Upon further reflection, they realized it's impossible. Here's what happens:

"As the body’s skin is drying out, soft tissue, especially skin, is retracting," Vreeman said. "The nails appear much more prominent as the skin dries out. The same is true, but less obvious, with hair. As the skin is shrinking back, the hair looks more prominent or sticks up a bit."

Myth: We use only 10 percent of our brains

Fact: Physicians and comedians alike, including Jerry Seinfeld, love to cite this one. It's sometimes erroneously credited to Albert Einstein. But MRI scans, PET scans and other imaging studies show no dormant areas of the brain, and even viewing individual neurons or cells reveals no inactive areas, the new paper points out. Metabolic studies of how brain cells process chemicals show no nonfunctioning areas.

The myth probably originated with self-improvement hucksters in the early 1900s who wanted to convince people that they had yet not reached their full potential, Carroll figures. It also doesn't jibe with the fact that our other organs run at full tilt.

Myth: Reading in dim light ruins your eyesight

Fact: The researchers found no evidence that reading in dim light causes permanent eye damage. It can cause eye strain and temporarily decreased acuity, which subsides after rest.

Myth: Eating turkey makes you drowsy

Fact: Even Carroll and Vreeman believed this one until they researched it. The thing is, a chemical in turkey called tryptophan is known to cause drowsiness. But turkey doesn't contain any more of it than does chicken or beef.

This myth is fueled by the fact that turkey is often eaten with a colossal holiday meal, often accompanied by alcohol — both things that will make you sleepy.

Myth: Cellphones are dangerous in hospitals

Fact: There are no known cases of death related to this one. Cases of less-serious interference with hospital devices seem to be largely anecdotal, the researchers found. In one real study, cellphones were found to interfere with 4 percent of devices, but only when the phone was within 3 feet of the device.

A more recent study, this year, found no interference in 300 tests in 75 treatment rooms. To the contrary, when doctors use cellphones, the improved communication means they make fewer mistakes.

"Whenever we talk about this work, doctors at first express disbelief that these things are not true," said Vreeman said. "But after we carefully lay out medical evidence, they are very willing to accept that these beliefs are actually false."

SOURCE: http://forum.facmedicine.com/threads/7-medical-myths-even-doctors-believe.16604/

14 Likes

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by ckkris: 10:14pm On Dec 25, 2013
Interesting
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Drniyi4u(m): 10:26pm On Dec 25, 2013
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Emmyk(m): 11:09pm On Dec 25, 2013
Cool.
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Missmossy(f): 11:26pm On Dec 25, 2013
Mmmmm

1 Like

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by ndubisik(m): 11:38pm On Dec 25, 2013
I knew it !
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by angelTI(f): 12:44am On Dec 26, 2013
Whao!
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 4:45am On Dec 26, 2013
whaoh! Seriously i believe all these too.....cant stop my addiction to NL,always something new to read everytime.

7 Likes

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Temismith(f): 9:26pm On Dec 26, 2013
U̶̲̥̅̊ can't  ˚°yimu!.. <//>.
_\\_! aπϑ hiss at d same *...* .
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 26, 2013
Temismith: U̶̲̥̅̊ can't  ˚°yimu!.. <//>.
_\\_! aπϑ hiss at d same *...* .
undecided

3 Likes

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by deols(f): 6:06am On Dec 27, 2013
The 10% brain use is the most ridiculous. Each part of the brain has its functions and none is dormant, for real.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by musty001: 5:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
deols: The 10% brain use is the most ridiculous. Each part of the brain has its functions and none is dormant, for real.
me self,i don't knw y i believe dat 10% brain stuff,na i knw it's fake news
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 27, 2013
deols: The 10% brain use is the most ridiculous. Each part of the brain has its functions and none is dormant, for real.
I totally agree with you. No part of the brain is dormant.
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by dynamo77(m): 5:26pm On Dec 31, 2013
Feels like i've been robbed......
........wait, why did i beleive that 10% usage of the brain.. And why is it related to Eisten........OP, thanks for this
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 1:48am On Jan 01, 2014
dynamo77: Feels like i've been robbed......
........wait, why did i beleive that 10% usage of the brain.. And why is it related to Eisten........OP, thanks for this
You're welcome.
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 12:10am On Jun 29, 2014
Bump
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 4:04am On Jun 29, 2014
if they dont believed who will?
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by justi4jesu(f): 4:06am On Jun 29, 2014
Aiit noted then lipsrsealed
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Jarchi(m): 4:33am On Jun 29, 2014
Dem don dey bobo us again
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 4:42am On Jun 29, 2014
Always wondered about that of the brain using just 10%. Myth! As if na only me waka come.
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Nobody: 4:43am On Jun 29, 2014

We actually only use 5 - 10 % of our brains capacity.....if we used all, the result will be disastrous,..pple will die young...
The reason why the brain restrains some info...overloading will cause overactivity.........
Every thing the human brain has set eyes on since we were born is registered in our brain......every single detail
But we can't remember all, can we?

9 Likes

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by vosquare: 4:55am On Jun 29, 2014
7 "medical" myths...if d doctors do not believe it who will?...d engineers?

Bt i agree wit d op...
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Dygeasy(m): 4:56am On Jun 29, 2014
From being backdated and now to giving us old topics on FP :-x

OP who is your pastor?
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by colossus2: 4:59am On Jun 29, 2014
Shey dem talk say dem no believe am before ni?
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by bist: 4:59am On Jun 29, 2014
Phantomstranger:
We actually only use 5 - 10 % of our brains capacity.....if we used all, the result will be disastrous,..pple will die young...
The reason why the brain restrains some info...overloading will cause overactivity.........
Every thing the human brain has set eyes on since we were born is registered in our brain......every single detail

Quadripple [size=18pt]gBAM!!!![/size]

4 Likes

Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Isiterere(m): 5:01am On Jun 29, 2014
myth and science ? Life getting more and more complicated .

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by colossus2: 5:03am On Jun 29, 2014
Dygeasy: From being backdated and now to giving us old topics on FP :-x

OP who is your pastor?
In Jessie J's voice "we need to take it back in time, when nairaland make us all unite....its not about the topic topic topic, we don't need new topic topic topic, we just wanna make the site run, forget about the..... lipsrsealed
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by englishmart(m): 5:06am On Jun 29, 2014
Doctors are equally humans.
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Pavore9: 5:15am On Jun 29, 2014
following..
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by cannonnier(m): 5:16am On Jun 29, 2014
Phantomstranger:

you remind of someone who said he has learned everything he has to learn, he just need to remember things. Trying to remember things- His head caught fire. (Ain't that disastrous)
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Atmmachine(m): 5:16am On Jun 29, 2014
This topic was created in December 2013 but it came to front page in June 2014.. cool
Re: 7 Medical Myths That Even Doctors Believe by Dannylux: 5:19am On Jun 29, 2014
Somewhat cool?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Asthmatic Patient Escapes Death In Port-Harcourt (Photos) / 5 Reasons You Are Farting Excessively / My Experience With Sleep Paralysis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.