Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,941 members, 7,852,174 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:32 PM

Are Hepatitis A,B,C Viruses Retroviruses? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Are Hepatitis A,B,C Viruses Retroviruses? (3650 Views)

6 Viruses That Could Wipe Out Humanity / My Nanny Has Hepatitis B / Virgin Coconut Oil Kills Hiv Viruses And Viruses That Have Lipid (fatty) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Hepatitis A,B,C Viruses Retroviruses? by dollydolly(f): 6:15pm On Jul 13, 2014
Good evening guys. For the Health workers in the house I have a question n I need to b clearified. This afternoon while in a group chat, I learnt about my elementary school teacher(may her soul rest in peace) who died of hepatitis. As a Medically inclined student I started advicing them to go for a test n get d vaccine if negative while positive should go for anti retroviral treatment until one of them asked if it were a retrovirus. I tried to explain to him that they synthesize the way retroviruses do n are also viruses that alters d RNA. But to b frank I don't think that I am totally correct so I need clearifications from Professionals in the house. By the way I have browsed it but I dnt think that I totally understood what I got.
Re: Are Hepatitis A,B,C Viruses Retroviruses? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 13, 2014
Hell no!!

They do not replicate themselves using the host genome via reverse transcriptase .

1 Like

Re: Are Hepatitis A,B,C Viruses Retroviruses? by dollydolly(f): 7:54pm On Jul 13, 2014
Ok. Tnx for the input. I would also need more from other professionals.
Re: Are Hepatitis A,B,C Viruses Retroviruses? by olorundimu(m): 2:00am On Jul 14, 2014
Retrovirus na HIV now! Antiretrovirals are anti HIV!
Hepatitis A, B, and C belong to different groups/families of viruses.
If I could remember, hepatitis B is a hepadnaviridae, please consult your microbiology books or Google.

1 Like

Re: Are Hepatitis A,B,C Viruses Retroviruses? by dollydolly(f): 6:10am On Jul 14, 2014
olorundimu: Retrovirus na HIV now! Antiretrovirals are anti HIV!
Hepatitis A, B, and C belong to different groups/families of viruses.
If I could remember, hepatitis B is a hepadnaviridae, please consult your microbiology books or Google.
Actually I'm a Microbiology student which is I solicit for a simpler explanation. Hepatitis are also rna virus same as retrovirus. It's somewat confusing though but tnx.
Re: Are Hepatitis A,B,C Viruses Retroviruses? by olorundimu(m): 2:39pm On Jul 14, 2014
dollydolly: Actually I'm a Microbiology student which is I solicit for a simpler explanation. Hepatitis are also rna virus same as retrovirus. It's somewat confusing though but tnx.
My dear go and read your microbiology text book, particularly medical microbiology, perhaps Jaweltz textbook medical microbiology will do.
Hepatitis A to E each belong to different families/groups of viruses ranging from enterovirus, hepadnavirus, calicivirus etc.some are RNA while some are DNA viruses.

1 Like

Re: Are Hepatitis A,B,C Viruses Retroviruses? by phantom(m): 4:48pm On Jul 14, 2014
retroviruses are single stranded RNA viruses. they are not DNA viruses.
the 'retro' in their family name indicates the ability to replicate using the hosts DNA genome via an enzyme; reverse transcriptase.
the hepatitis viruses are all RNA except B which is a dna virus.
Re: Are Hepatitis A,B,C Viruses Retroviruses? by angela992: 8:27am On Sep 16, 2017
Seroprevalence of Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C Virus among Blood Samples for Routine Investigations at the University of Ebonyi State Teaching Hospital (Ebsuth)

Exposure to blood borne pathogens through patient’s samples and body fluids poses a serious risk to the medical laboratory scientist and other health care workers. Transmission of these pathogens by needle prick and other sharp objects has been reported (Touzet, 2000) and despite improved methods of preventing exposure, occupational exposures will continue to occur.

http://www.scharticles.com/seroprevalence-of-hepatitis-b-and-hepatitis-c-virus-among-blood-samples-for-routine-investigations/

(1) (Reply)

World Cancer Day 2023 / 10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Sperm / Health benefits of Pumpkin Leaves(ugu Leaf).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.