Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation (67433 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Meet Tomtato – A Plant That Grows Tomatoes Above Ground And Potatoes Below (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:48am On Feb 27, 2016
Ovamboland:
Can this method be applied to cashew plantation?

Yes
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:48am On Feb 27, 2016
wumss:
Will this system work with cocoa and other cash crops?

Yes sir!
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 9:06am On Feb 27, 2016
irukandji89:

Of course!

Please can you get me marcots for Irvingia gabonensis?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 9:58am On Feb 27, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Please can you get me marcots for Irvingia gabonensis?

I don't have an ogbono plant near me.

I'll ask around.

If you have access to an ogbono tree, please kindly let me know and location too.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 11:18am On Feb 27, 2016
irukandji89:

I don't have an ogbono plant near me.

I'll ask around.

If you have access to an ogbono tree, please kindly let me know and location too.

I don't know of any around here in ph as I would love to get them planted on our farm in ekiti!
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by jasper7(m): 12:20pm On Feb 27, 2016
Just stumbled on this thread... This looks like fun grin. Learnt a lot here... its interesting.

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by whirlwind7(m): 4:09pm On Feb 27, 2016
irukandji89:
hello peeps.

how have you been?

sorry I have been awol for a while.

I went to Songhai farms in Porto novo for a training.

That's nice, bro!
I've been thinking about going there myself, but have no clue so far.
Can you please share how to get there, what arrangements you made etc.
I just read up on this post of yours. It is very exciting, I must confess.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 4:21pm On Feb 27, 2016
IHate9ja1:

I don't know of any around here in ph as I would love to get them planted on our farm in ekiti!

I'd make enquiries and give feedback ASAP
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 5:01pm On Feb 27, 2016
whirlwind7:

That's nice, bro!
I've been thinking about going there myself, but have no clue so far.
Can you please share how to get there, what arrangements you made etc.
I just read up on this post of yours. It is very exciting, I must confess.

Pls provide your email address and I'll send you a document.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by whirlwind7(m): 5:18pm On Feb 27, 2016
irukandji89:

Pls provide your email address and I'll send you a document.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 7:29pm On Feb 27, 2016
irukandji89:

Thank you sir. I look forward to hear from you
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 11:45pm On Feb 27, 2016
irukandji89:

From your farming experience sir,how much would clear (slash and burn) an acre/hectare of farmland?
My parents is handling this project on my behalf.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by adexgii(m): 12:03am On Feb 28, 2016
nice topic, bt will u burst the polytene open when u want to transplant ur new generated plant?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 12:29pm On Feb 28, 2016
IHate9ja1:

From your farming experience sir,how much would clear (slash and burn) an acre/hectare of farmland?
My parents is handling this project on my behalf.

With the way things are presently, I can't really say. It depends on the area, how thick the vegetation is etc

I think its best to get someone who can negotiate well and then arriving at a price that will favor both your and the people you ask to help you clear you land.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 28, 2016
irukandji89:

With the way things are presently, I can't really say. It depends on the area, how thick the vegetation is etc

I think its best to get someone who can negotiate well and then arriving at a price that will favor both your and the people you ask to help you clear you land.

Yes I understand,but @ least give me a range from your experience.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 12:55pm On Feb 28, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Yes I understand,but @ least give me a range from your experience.

Well if you insist .....

Budget N100,000 for an hectare.

Understand that it doesn't necessarily have to be that much.

Depends on how good you are at negotiations.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 1:14pm On Feb 28, 2016
irukandji89:

Well if you insist .....

Budget N100,000 for an hectare.

Understand that it doesn't necessarily have to be that much.

Depends on how good you are at negotiations.

Alright,thanks a lot but its a pity I didn't budget up to that but either way I would see how far I can go with the little I have. I want to start small.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 2:49pm On Feb 28, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Alright,thanks a lot but its a pity I didn't budget up to that but either way I would see how far I can go with the little I have. I want to start small.

Starting small is always a good idea. smiley

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 28, 2016
irukandji89:

Starting small is always a good idea. smiley
Thanks a lot sir,however I believe I would need your services someday soon.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:19am On Feb 29, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Thanks a lot sir,however I believe I would need your services someday soon.

It will be my pleasure to serve.

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:27am On Feb 29, 2016
adexgii:
nice topic, bt will u burst the polytene open when u want to transplant ur new generated plant?

You remove the nylon, taking care not to let the rooting medium fall off the roots.

You transfer into a potting bag.

You nurse it there for at least another month or till you're ready to transplant.

When you want to transplant to the plantation, you just make a hole big enough to submerge the potting bag.

You cut a bigger hole beneath the potting bag for when the roots grow beyond the bag.

You don't need to remove the bag while transplanting.

Remember it needs time to acclimatize to the new location but in the meantime it takes its nourishment from the "devil" it knows already smiley

If you know what I mean.

After sometime, when the roots are big enough, they will tear off the nylon and grow further downward.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:40am On Feb 29, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Pls send me mail.

hakmax AT gmail DOT com
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:43am On Feb 29, 2016
jasper7:
Just stumbled on this thread... This looks like fun grin. Learnt a lot here... its interesting.

If gurus like Jasper7 are learning from Little me, I'm honored grin

Thanks for your comment sir.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 9:24am On Feb 29, 2016
irukandji89:

Pls send me mail.

hakmax AT gmail DOT com
Ok sir
You got a mail.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by whirlwind7(m): 10:58am On Feb 29, 2016
irukandji89:

You remove the nylon, taking care not to let the rooting medium fall off the roots.

You transfer into a potting bag.

What is this potting bag please? I may have an idea of what you were referring to, but I don't want to make assumptions.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:39pm On Feb 29, 2016
whirlwind7:

What is this potting bag please? I may have an idea of what you were referring to, but I don't want to make assumptions.

This

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by jasper7(m): 8:43pm On Feb 29, 2016
irukandji89:

If gurus like Jasper7 are learning from Little me, I'm honored grin

Thanks for your comment sir.

abeg o. I learn everyday. what I love most about your method is that you use locally sourced materials. kudos to you sir!

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by kevoh(m): 6:34am On Mar 01, 2016
This thread deserve frontpage na. Oya CC: Lalasticlala Passwords: Olajumoke,Breadseller,Tonto Dike, Cossy Orjiakor, Snake captured,flaunts curves e.t.c

Nice one OP by the way.

5 Likes

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Jesusbaby6(f): 8:35am On Mar 01, 2016
irukandji89:

Yes sir!
wumss:
Will this system work with cocoa and other cash crops?

Please when you successfully propagate for cocoa and you have for sale mention me.

Nice work

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by ozoemenaca: 3:46pm On Mar 01, 2016
This is a nice one

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Chigorkizz(m): 4:08pm On Mar 01, 2016
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by seunajia: 4:24pm On Mar 01, 2016
Lovely thread. Agriculture is way to go!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Big Python I Killed In My Farm Today And What Has Become Of It. / Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) / The Puff Adder My Workers Killed On My Yam Farm (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.