Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,037 members, 7,814,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland (27662 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Any One Knows Why twins Were Killed In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by silvoice(m): 6:11pm On Aug 10, 2014
pls i need advice on how to go for this my marriage introduction. My wife-to-be is an Ibo girl. i hav some questions which I'd Like my useful NLs to help me, because my parents are late and i don't really know who to ask this question and get an objective answer. 1. should i ask my girl to tell me what is needed 4 first introdution according 2 their tradition or jus go wit cash? 2. if i go with a friend is it ok or must i go with an elder at this 1st stage? pls i need sincere advice, b4 i make mistake
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 10, 2014
Bro, you gotta go with elders, ur uncles are still alive rt, pick one of them and include a friend or two, DON'T EVER go alone... And tis best u ask her what might b needed frm ur gal, cash too? Very important... Best of luck

12 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 10, 2014
First you go with close friends and elderly family members, inform your in-laws prior to your arrival. Go with palm wine schnapps and kolanuts, depending on the standing custom. Cash is inalienable. Go with enough. Your fiancee will be at her place awaiting your arrival. After the introduction, you may take a list from the male and female leader summarising all the cash and kind requirements. You may choose to pay cash instead of bordering yourself with 40 tubers of yam and tobacco leaves and what not. Upon fulfilling the requirements, you fix a date for Igba Nkwu. I am sure you can find your way from there.

13 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by purplesummer(f): 6:32pm On Aug 10, 2014
Your to-be father-in-law will expect you to come with your father or an uncle to represent your father.
Again, your must go with drinks and ofcourse cash.
Good luck to you our in-law. smiley
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by silvoice(m): 7:03pm On Aug 10, 2014
@ all, thanks 4 ur quick response. u all seem to be saying elders. is one elder not enough. maybe an uncle, considering dat is jus d 1st formal meeting, again d long distance. maybe wen i wil go to settle d list issue, which i was told has to be bargained a little, i wil go wit more persons.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by hushmail: 7:30pm On Aug 10, 2014
guy all Igbo towns get diff traditions with regards to T M (trad wedding)

just tell ur woman to link you with someone from her community who is knowledgeable enough to direct u

goodluck

11 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by silvoice(m): 7:40pm On Aug 10, 2014
hushmail: guy all Igbo towns get diff traditions with regards to T M (trad wedding)

just tell ur woman to link you with someone from her community who is knowledgeable enough to direct u

goodluck
very useful, thanks
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by obitobe: 5:56am On Aug 11, 2014
My bro i am happy to read something positive, since you say this is your first visit, depending on what part of igbo land you are marrying from , they will give you a list for knocking on the door( N'kwa aka N' Uzo) after that if the girl's dad is dead, they will give you list for that too called (things for Nana nwa Dead), it more like homage then after that you will get the comprehensive list that contains both that of the male and female. then until after you has fulfill everything on the list in cash or kind then you could fix a date for your traditional marriage(Igba Nkwu)

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Adenugay(m): 5:59am On Aug 11, 2014
gmhmm
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Barselonia(m): 6:00am On Aug 11, 2014
well if It's normal introduction that we all know ooo, my brother, ur pocket must be full, I mean fullll But if just to know dr family, u can go with like 2 elder and a close friend with few of dose package.
But if Na The main introduction, carry all family member, few friend and ask ur LOOLOO watin dem Dey collect for There family, him sha go know...
gracia
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Adenugay(m): 6:05am On Aug 11, 2014
hmmm
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by kr0ne(m): 6:38am On Aug 11, 2014
silvoice: pls i need advice on how to go for this my marriage introduction. My wife-to-be is an Ibo girl. i hav some questions which I'd Like my useful NLs to help me, because my parents are late and i don't really know who to ask this question and get an objective answer. 1. should i ask my girl to tell me what is needed 4 first introdution according 2 their tradition or jus go wit cash? 2. if i go with a friend is it ok or must i go with an elder at this 1st stage? pls i need sincere advice, b4 i make mistake
You don't need advice to marry an Ibo girl as long as ur in love with her. All you need is money. Smh

10 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by gerrardomendes(m): 6:39am On Aug 11, 2014
All u nid is a bag of kola.

Or u could go there with a bag of salt n bitter kola and tell them about ebola

14 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by sniperwolf(m): 6:41am On Aug 11, 2014
Go with a family related elder. Introduction is not as serious as most people think.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 6:42am On Aug 11, 2014
gerrardomendes: All u nid is a bag of kola.

PHOOL

2 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 6:46am On Aug 11, 2014
The prerequisites for this visit may vary from village to village, but, basically some of the key items offered as gift to the host family include Kolanuts, Wines (alcoholic/non-alcoholic) and wrappers (Nigerian/Holland prints). Money (cash gift) is usually not offered at this point in order not to be misrepresented...This is just a summary. One thing you should know though, The igbo traditional marriage ceremony can be expensive sha..i almst got married to an abriba lady last yr;but her selfish n greedy family refused;giving lame excuses abt her being the eldest daughter;tradition demands she gets married to an abriba dude;the crazy biatch is still single and now wants me back..The tradition of selling women for the sakes of marriage must be discontinued.Every woman in each region is priceless, but they do not get sold to the highest bidder..as 4me;i am done with Igbo girls;@ OP;know more abt ur fiancee's tradition n marriage rites b4 headng dere else;they'll milk you dry..kudos..

7 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Lordseyad(m): 6:50am On Aug 11, 2014
k
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 11, 2014
hushmail: guy all Igbo towns get diff traditions with regards to T M (trad wedding)

goodluck
Op this is the best and only advice. He said it on point.
Ask ur wife to be even if she don't their own tradition, she will ask. Igbos have diffrent tradition for instant we don,t mary on Eke market day.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by mezebel(f): 7:12am On Aug 11, 2014
..Mtwee!!
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by ogawisdom(m): 7:12am On Aug 11, 2014
D girl shld get info frm her parents on hw it is done in their place n give u feedback. U shld go with a relation like uncle, cousin d elderly ones
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 11, 2014
Adenugay: hmmm
dont u have something better to say than hmmmmming
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by bisi16(m): 7:44am On Aug 11, 2014
silvoice: pls i need advice on how to go for this my marriage introduction. My wife-to-be is an Ibo girl. i hav some questions which I'd Like my useful NLs to help me, because my parents are late and i don't really know who to ask this question and get an objective answer. 1. should i ask my girl to tell me what is needed 4 first introdution according 2 their tradition or jus go wit cash? 2. if i go with a friend is it ok or must i go with an elder at this 1st stage? pls i need sincere advice, b4 i make mistake
Ask her wat is required for numb 1, give her money to buy and keep dem so u dnt hav to carry along. 2, yes u must go wit an elderly person
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 11, 2014
Yes, go with a friend/Uncle. This is just the first stage so money is not needed as such but you must go with drinks!!. But if she has an older relative she's close to, you guys can speak to know how best to go about it!!!

Welcome to Igbo land!! kiss kiss smiley smiley
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by mifavour(f): 7:57am On Aug 11, 2014
obitobe: My bro i am happy to read something positive, since you say this is your first visit, depending on what part of igbo land you are marrying from , they will give you a list for knocking on the door( N'kwa aka N' Uzo) after that if the girl's dad is dead, they will give you list for that too called (things for Nana nwa Dead), it more like homage then after that you will get the comprehensive list that contains both that of the male and female. then until after you has fulfill everything on the list in cash or kind then you could fix a date for your traditional marriage(Igba Nkwu)
what state are u from biko
Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by realsammie(m): 7:58am On Aug 11, 2014
gerrardomendes: All u nid is a bag of kola.

grin grin grin

@ op...all u need to mary an Igbo girl is plenty of cash. whether it is introduction, engagement or the white weding, u will have to spend big. Gudluck to u

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by passionate88: 7:58am On Aug 11, 2014
Money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 11, 2014
Since she is ibo, please go with the following items.
1. Money.
2.lots of money.
3.more money.
4. Bags of money.
5.some more money.
6.lots of bags of more money.
As long as you have these items, you might go home with the bride after the introduction.

11 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by mifavour(f): 8:05am On Aug 11, 2014
it varies though... I'm from Alor in Anambra state...
When my hubby came for my introduction he came with his dad mum and about two uncles... With wines...dint ve to come with cash.. It wasnt needed then...
Then in the list was: one goat, one bag of salt, one carton of soap, a complete set of dress for the brides mum( gele, blouse entorica) then 5cartons of drinks(assorted) thats all..
Ntin like yam n d likes

2 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Dosoq(f): 8:37am On Aug 11, 2014
O boy,go load ur pocket o cos dey go bill u die,u'l pay 4 evrytin including d mat she used in sleeping as a child especially if she's a graduate and an ABIA lady.

3 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by Idowuogbo(f): 8:49am On Aug 11, 2014
Brodamus, u need EGO!!!!!!! That kian market dey cost gaaaaaaaaaaaan.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland by FELIX30(m): 8:49am On Aug 11, 2014
tsolz84: The prerequisites for this visit may vary from village to village, but, basically some of the key items offered as gift to the host family include Kolanuts, Wines (alcoholic/non-alcoholic) and wrappers (Nigerian/Holland prints). Money (cash gift) is usually not offered at this point in order not to be misrepresented...This is just a summary. One thing you should know though, The igbo traditional marriage ceremony can be expensive sha..i almst got married to an abriba lady last yr;but her selfish n greedy family refused;giving lame excuses abt her being the eldest daughter;tradition demands she gets married to an abriba dude;the crazy biatch is still single and now wants me back..The tradition of selling women for the sakes of marriage must be discontinued.Every woman in each region is priceless, but they do not get sold to the highest bidder..as 4me;i am done with Igbo girls;@ OP;know more abt ur fiancee's tradition n marriage rites b4 headng dere else;they'll milk you dry..kudos..
hmmmm ur comments show that u have no element of love for this girl. A girl u claim to love and wants to marry is the same person u are reffering to as a "biatch"!!! What a world!!! Thank God they didn't allow u marry her cos u are d bigger biatch.

25 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Eri Festival: Ooni Of Ife, 25 African Americans To Storm Anambra / Ooni Of Ife Participates In Osun Deity Festival (photos) / Are The Idomas Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.