Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,710 members, 7,847,856 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 09:30 AM

How To Overcome Fear Of Dogs - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Overcome Fear Of Dogs (1268 Views)

What Breed of Dogs Do You Think Can Go Up Against A Wolf / Beware Of DOGS(GRAPHIC IMAGES) / I Deal With Helping Of Sales And Buying Of Dogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Overcome Fear Of Dogs by Nobody: 7:46pm On Aug 10, 2014
I myself have this fear of dogs, especially those aggressive ones, though I've lived in a compound with a dog that I'm not afraid of 'cause he knows me and he's also a coward, but after living there for couple of months I still have this fear of big dogs that barks loudly, so I came across this article and feel like to share with those that doesn't have this fear or overcomes theirs to discuss with peeps like me whether the steps are true or not.

Dogs are wonderful animals, yet some people are afraid of them because they may have had a bad experience in the past, or have heard horror stories of other people's experiences. Whatever the reason, reading this article can help you get rid of your fear of dogs.

STEP 1
Evaluate the situation. Why are you afraid of dogs? What happened? Think it over in your mind.

STEP 2
Remember that dogs aren't out to get you - they are man's best friend. Say this to yourself at least five times every day. Once you start saying it, you will start believing it.

STEP 3
Make a list of goals. Write steps down such as "pet a puppy," "hold a puppy," and "walk a puppy." If you're more afraid of dogs, consider "watch a puppy," "be near a puppy," and so on.

STEP 4
Make a visit to your local dog park. Stay in the car, in the parking lot, or anywhere where you can still see the dogs. Stay there for at least ten minutes. Repeat this step at least once a week (more is always better) for about a month.

STEP 5
After your first month of visiting the dogs, park the car and step three feet away from it. Stay out of the middle of the lot, but still stay where you can see dogs walk past you into the park, and dogs playing in the park. Bring a friend, and for at least ten or fifteen minutes talk with them there while observing the dogs. Do this at least once a week for a month.

STEP 6
Move closer to the park, and add about five feet. Do this more than once a week for a month.

STEP 7
Repeat the above step until you are at the gate to the park. Bring a friend and repeat in your head "Dogs aren't out to get me. They are man's best friend."

STEP 8
Take a step into the park. If you're more afraid of large dogs and the park has separate sections for large and small dogs, go into the small dogs section at first. Bring a friend and observe the dogs. Do this at least once a week (the more the better, though!)

Source: http://m.wikihow.com/Overcome-a-Fear-of-Dogs
Re: How To Overcome Fear Of Dogs by Seun(m): 7:59pm On Aug 10, 2014
tonyayo1: I myself have this fear of dogs, especially those aggressive ones ... I still have this fear of big dogs that barks loudly,
It is good to be afraid of big and aggressive dogs. This is called common sense! Big and aggressive dogs can seriously injure or kill people! (But if you have an uncontrollable fear of dogs that manifests even when a dog is not threatening you in any way, then that might be a problem.) I cannot answer this question confidently but I think that these steps are appropriate for someone whose fear of dogs is really really extreme.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Overcome Fear Of Dogs by Nobody: 8:18pm On Aug 10, 2014
Thanks Oga Seun for that reply, if a dog is friendly I have no reason to be afraid of him/her, but those ones that barks at one when they don't know the person, those are the ones I really don't want to get close to.
Re: How To Overcome Fear Of Dogs by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 10, 2014
Seun:
It is good to be afraid of big and aggressive dogs. This is called common sense! Big and aggressive dogs can seriously injure or kill people! (But if you have an uncontrollable fear of dogs that manifests even when a dog is not threatening you in any way, then that might be a problem.) I cannot answer this question confidently but I think that these steps are appropriate for someone whose fear of dogs is really really extreme.

Wow! You're really good at this subject. It shows how close you are to your Pet. Hat-tips!
Re: How To Overcome Fear Of Dogs by Dubby6(m): 8:55pm On Aug 10, 2014
U do all this tinz finish come near my dog, e go bite ebola enter ur system
Re: How To Overcome Fear Of Dogs by Lorlaahlozz: 9:00pm On Aug 10, 2014
M scared of all dogs even puppy

Missyhorlah this thread is for u oo
Re: How To Overcome Fear Of Dogs by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:41pm On Aug 10, 2014
I'm kinda afraid of dogs..

But I'll love to have one..

The reason for my of dogs is that, I can't predict their move. The dog doesn't know my face, I can't Just go and start famzing with the dog.
If its on my path, I'll check for other routes, if not I'll love for someone else that would work with me. But if not, and push comes to shove. I'll just walk through, closing my eyes a little, and try to give myself as much encouragement as possible..

Dogs are fun to have..
Re: How To Overcome Fear Of Dogs by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 10, 2014
Lorlaahlozz: M scared of all dogs even puppy

Missyhorlah this thread is for u oo
y mem not like u na cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Bleep / The American Pit Bull And The Staffordshire Terrier / 8 Month Old Brahma Male Available For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.