Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,106 members, 7,852,748 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 04:07 AM

Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? (18967 Views)

How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? / Drove With Hand Brake Up / Pictures: Failed Brake Causes Fatal Accident In Abuja (at Viewers' Discretion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by cmoney22222: 9:10am On Sep 14, 2014
Great people, was having an argument with my brother of which is to be applied first while making a final stop, I said it is the (P) on the gear before the hand break, my brother said it was the hand break before the (P).

Please, what's the correct procedure and what's the effect on wrong application Happy sunday

1 Like

Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 14, 2014
Hand brake should always be applied before selecting P on the transmission, to avoid over loading the mechanical parking pawl.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by abatically(m): 9:13am On Sep 14, 2014
It has to be in this sequence.

Park>>>handbrake>>>ac off>>>engine off>>>>>seatbelt
Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by cmoney22222: 9:20am On Sep 14, 2014
Still following......... Thanks
Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 14, 2014
abatically: It has to be in this sequence.

Park>>>handbrake>>>ac off>>>engine off>>>>>seatbelt

If you follow that sequence on a slope or a hilly area, you will certainly over load the park pawl pin which could lead to difficulty in pulling the shifter out of 'P' to any other gear program, or at worst, you could damage the Parking pawl pin.

The correct procedure is to depress the foot brake => engage emergency brake towards the last clicks to prevent crawling =>shifter moved to Park (P).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 14, 2014
abatically: It has to be in this sequence.Park>>>handbrake>>>ac off>>>engine off>>>>>seatbelt

A vehicle parked on an incline, with P selected before the handbrake will have the weight of the car on the transmission locking pawl, which causes premature wear. This is what makes it difficult to pull the lever out of PARK when the vehicle is next used.

I have rebuilt automatic transmission, where the only defective component is the pawl assembly. A difficult to disengage parking pawl also results in a stretched cable, leading to incorrect gear orientation, the relationship between the gear shift lever, and the actual gear selected in the transmission will not match. This is when a scan reveals gear recognition issues.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by abatically(m): 11:15am On Sep 14, 2014
lomomike:

If you follow that sequence on a slope or a hilly area, you will certainly over load the park pawl pin which could lead to difficulty in pulling the shifter out of 'P' to any other gear program, or at worst, you could damage the Parking pawl pin.

The correct procedure is to depress the foot brake => engage emergency brake towards the last clicks to prevent crawling =>shifter moved to Park (P).

Wow I never knew this. Lesson learnt and will have to change my driving pattern.

3 Likes

Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by abatically(m): 11:16am On Sep 14, 2014
Siena:

A vehicle parked on an incline, with P selected before the handbrake will have the weight of the car on the transmission locking pawl, which causes premature wear. This is what makes it difficult to pull the lever out of PARK when the vehicle is next used.

I have rebuilt automatic transmission, where the only defective component is the pawl assembly. A difficult to disengage parking pawl also results in a stretched cable, leading to incorrect gear orientation, the relationship between the gear shift lever, and the actual gear selected in the transmission will not match. This is when a scan reveals gear recognition issues.

Hmm, so this is the reason I find it difficult to get the gear out of park sometimes. This is why I love nairaland. I've learned something today.

2 Likes

Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by cmoney22222: 12:17pm On Sep 14, 2014
Just learned something, no wonder I do have some muscle difficulty when trying to put the transmission lever from P to D. Thanks for opening my eyes boss.... Dancing azonto with this new study....

1 Like

Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by CMGO(f): 5:26pm On Sep 14, 2014
Now I know, thx siena for enlightening us on that.
Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 14, 2014
Excellent responses Brother Siena.
Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by evico: 10:35pm On Sep 14, 2014
Siena: Hand brake should always be applied before selecting P on the transmission, to avoid over loading the mechanical parking pawl.

Shooooo! I just dey hear this one for the first time oo shocked
Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by ogawisdom(m): 1:07pm On Sep 15, 2014
Siena: Hand brake should always be applied before selecting P on the transmission, to avoid over loading the mechanical parking pawl.

And I ve been doing it d other way round lipsrsealed but I guess there may nt b any effect as I still park without handbrake sometimes on a level ground
Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by Lagusta(m): 2:01pm On Sep 15, 2014
I dont drive an auto, but i've learnt something new from siena and lomomike...

In case i buy an auto for MADAM....
Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 15, 2014
My Mums Toyota sienna does nt have hand brake ooo, does it mean it does nt apply to d car
Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by bimbor(m): 11:51pm On Sep 15, 2014
lomomike:

I'm learning.
Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by abatically(m): 12:14am On Sep 16, 2014
SAVEDBABA: My Mums Toyota sienna does nt have hand brake ooo, does it mean it does nt apply to d car

Ha ha, yes it does have a hand brake (maybe a leg brake would be a better word) or let's just call it emergency brake. It is located just beside the real brake, to the left. U have to depress it with ur leg to activate it. To release it also depress it with ur leg. But I have noticed that most people with SUV 's and minivans never make use of their emergency brake maybe due to ignorance or they don't know where it is located.
Re: Hand Brake Or Gear Park(p) Which Should Come First? by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 16, 2014
abatically:

Ha ha, yes it does have a hand brake (maybe a leg brake would be a better word) or let's just call it emergency brake. It is located just beside the real brake, to the left. U have to depress it with ur leg to activate it. To release it also depress it with ur leg. But I have noticed that most people with SUV 's and minivans never make use of their emergency brake maybe due to ignorance or they don't know where it is located.

Lol true that. I recalled when I was still using my QX4, I had an urgent appointment with a client and I had parked the SUV in a shopping complex in Jabi where I use to have my office (my friend was in my office when I was going so I dropped the key with him) and I wasn't able to drive off because other cars had blocked me. When my friend wanted to go home, he couldn't disengage the handbrake. He called various people to try disengage it without success. He angrily called me shouting why I had to engage my handbrake that Park is okay. Next day I came and showed him how to disengage the handbrake (of course not without thoroughly lecturing him).

(1) (Reply)

10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change / University Of Lagos To Unveil A Zero-Emission Car / I Am More Afraid Of Road Safety Than Police And Army.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.