Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,065 members, 7,852,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 09:48 PM

5 Jobs You Are Likely To Do First In The UK - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 5 Jobs You Are Likely To Do First In The UK (3923 Views)

5 Jobs You Can Take Up Before And During NYSC / Insecure, Narcissistic People More Likely To Post On Facebook – Report / Temidayo Joseph, Nigerian Schoolboy Hangs Himself In The UK (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Jobs You Are Likely To Do First In The UK by Seandeeds(m): 8:33pm On Nov 01, 2014
Most people travel to the UK daily, with the sole intention of coming to hustle. It is not news how it happens as I won't go into that. If you are in the UK to struggle, it's possible you are not documented. Not having the right papers in the UK is a big limitation. Without it, everything else is irrelevant. Your certificate, work experience etc is all garbage.
You'll have to make do with whatever you can get, job wise. You will celebrate the early morning cleaning job your cousin got you.
With the limitation, you really don't have many options regarding choice of job. You are most likely to get one of the five jobs listed below as your first job in the UK. You should know all these so you can make informed decisions before embarking on the trip. See list....

1) Security
This sector is peculiar to Nigerians and Asians, it is common among immigrants generally in the UK. Most people who are new in the country would do this job.
As a black man, wearing a black suit, people will easily mistake you for a security officer. While some people are not doing badly on the job, those who do not have the rights immigration papers would have to settle for the other side of the job.
I said the other side because some employers capitalise on their employees immigration status to exploit them.
The basic rate in the UK is around £6.50 but those employers pay as low as £3.00 and they pay cash. With those kind of jobs, you can do as many hours as you want in a week. To make it worse, they don't even pay on time, it is very sad.
It's not all sad news as some security officers command up to £15.00 an hour. Depending on experience and training.

I strongly recommend this job for students as it gives time to read and do all your assignments and coursework at work.

2) Care work
This is a job that requires you to help those who have difficulties in carrying out their daily activities. They include children, old people and others with learning disabilities.
If you enter our hospitals and nursing homes today, you'll understand what I'm talking about. Immigrants abound in this sector. As new immigrants, this is one of the jobs you are likely to do first. The requirements is just some two week training and you are good to go.
In some quarters, care work is classified as job for immigrants. The pay is not encouraging as well. On the average, most care workers earn the basic rate of pay which £6.50 per hour. It could involve carrying poos, packing vomits, bathing them and many more. It is about helping the vulnerable people generally.

- Read more at: http://uklounge..co.uk/2014/10/5-jobs-you-are-likely-to-do-first-in-uk.html#more
Re: 5 Jobs You Are Likely To Do First In The UK by luvlyoracle(m): 8:38pm On Nov 01, 2014
Mtcheew

1 Like

Re: 5 Jobs You Are Likely To Do First In The UK by Greyworld: 7:56am On Nov 02, 2014
Its smwat beta dan wat labourers get in Nigeria. In Warri we're I am Helpers (labu) has union, so an unskilled illitrate can't just get 2 a construction site and do d normal day hustlin which doesn't pay mur dan 4-5k for a whole day. To make mattas worse most tyms afta yu finish working a certain percentage of yur hard earn moni go 2 smpple wu did NOTHING cuz dey claim 2 b "community"

If 1 cud make £3 per hour and say he works 4 8hrs datz £24, abt #6000. I bet yu av all 2 yursef wif no "community" 2 settle.

1 Like

Re: 5 Jobs You Are Likely To Do First In The UK by Emabayo(m): 9:58pm On Nov 02, 2014
Greyworld:
Its smwat beta dan wat labourers get in Nigeria. In Warri we're I am Helpers (labu) has union, so an unskilled illitrate can't just get 2 a construction site and do d normal day hustlin which doesn't pay mur dan 4-5k for a whole day. To make mattas worse most tyms afta yu finish working a certain percentage of yur hard earn moni go 2 smpple wu did NOTHING cuz dey claim 2 b "community"

If 1 cud make £3 per hour and say he works 4 8hrs datz £24, abt #6000. I bet yu av all 2 yursef wif no "community" 2 settle.
You have no idea how much bills you pay in the UK. If you convert the money, you should convert the bills too. Trust me you don't want to know.
Re: 5 Jobs You Are Likely To Do First In The UK by Greyworld: 10:42pm On Nov 02, 2014
tongue
Emabayo:

You have no idea how much bills you pay in the UK. If you convert the money, you should convert the bills too. Trust me you don't want to know.
I knw abt d bills but we pay bills here in Nigeria 4 services we don't evn get so I rada pay 80% of ma income on tax and enjoy quality services dan pay 50% or less 4 smtin I can't see jor.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Best Quotes For You! / Best Punishment For Stubborn Children This Holiday Period (pics) / Have You Noticed This Scary Thing Happening Online Since 2005?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.