Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,862 members, 7,848,502 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 02:31 AM

How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. (23187 Views)

Beautiful Lady Who Graduated With Third Class Shares Her Touching Story (Photos) / Ayodele Dada: "How I Graduated With All-Round A's & 5.0 CGPA" / Meet The Unique Identical Twins Who Both Graduated With First Class.. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 04, 2015
Following
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by klem93(m): 6:19pm On Jan 04, 2015
Engr Temmy, how I wish you know the good that this story is going to do to many lifes, expecially me here, cause am having my first tertiary exam soonest and whats always on my mind is wait till exam knocks before I starts reading but with this I think I need the book more than anybody now, expecially with the way education is been taught here, cause here is x10 harder than I thought before travelling over here to study... don't go Engr Temmy cause i will surely come back to share my testimony with you soonest...
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by CSTR: 6:45pm On Jan 04, 2015
lol.
This thread reminds me of my UNIBEN days.
Everybody in uniben knows the department of ELECT/ELECT ENGR is the most 'lenient' in Uniben's faculty of engineering.
Unlike other departments,
they churn out atleast 10 first class' on the average every year.
Your story is not really improbable .
The department of chemical engineering on the other hand is a different matter.
It would take a miracle for such turn-around to happen there.
Infact, if you were not already on 4.0 GPA in your 100/200 , then you are screwed.
The sadistic ,overzealous and megalomaniacal lecturers there will run you ragged.
By the time i will graduate with a CGPA of 4.80 in chemical engineering, the doctors at health center had to recommend me for psychiatric analysis at USELU hospital.
It was a satisfying educational experience though.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by kaycexx(m): 7:01pm On Jan 04, 2015
INSPIRING
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Emeka30: 8:18pm On Jan 04, 2015
inspiring one indeed
the highest credit load is the final project, it can make or mar your GP. so make sure you get the best project or thesis topic and materials
below are examples and many more are available on www.uniprojectsearch.com
http://uniprojectsearch.com/lassa-fever-he…h-care-workers/
http://uniprojectsearch.com/omega3-fatty-a…se-cholesterol/
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 04, 2015
Thank you all for your kind words, I feel so glad and happy this thread is motivating some already.

I'll try to respond to each and everyone but permit me to finish first.

Thanks
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 04, 2015
I forgot to tell you the result was the best in my department. Three of us actually had the same result. I and two other ladies.

All of a sudden, people started coming to me for assistance anytime they had issues in certain courses.

Haha, me of all people. The joy cannot be expressed with words. That alone motivated me to read harder.

Like a robot, I simply repeated the same things I did in first semester. Days to each of my exam, I never read as I always had someone who will come to me for group revision. Whilst revising with them, I used the opportunity to revise myself.

Exams came and results were released. I had 5 A's and one C giving me a CGPA of 4.67 once more. grin

As a matter of fact, I could easily have had all A's. Few days to writing the exam in which I had a C, my hostel in ekosodin was raided by armed robbers. I didn't get over the trauma on time and it affected my performance.

That was how I achieved the seemingly impossible feat. The joy I felt in my heart knows no bounds the day I saw that result.

I have then made this my watch word, wherever there's a will, there's always a way.

My advice to students who are still in school is this, don't let anyone deceive you. No one is better than you are. Whoever does better than you in exams is simply doing something you're not doing. It's your duty to find out.

Secondly, do not underestimate the importance of attending lectures. That was one of my greatest mistakes. Lectures, no matter how boring it may seem are always important. If not for any other thing, it guides you when reading.

Thirdly, never ever give up. As long as it's still mathematically possible for you to make a particular grade, strive to attain it.

I hope this will put an end to those threads whose tittle reads, 'I have a GPA of..., can I still make a 2.1/first class?"

Yes, you can as long as it's mathematically possible. cheesy

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by klem93(m): 9:27pm On Jan 04, 2015
watch out for me cause this story will go a long way to bring out the peak in me
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Bootybuttchic(f): 9:36pm On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy:
I forgot to tell you the result was the best in my department. Three of us actually had the same result. I and two other ladies.

All of a sudden, people started coming to me for assistance anytime they had issues in certain courses.

Haha, me of all people. The joy cannot be expressed with words. That alone motivated me to read harder.

Like a robot, I simply repeated the same things I did in first semester. Days to each of my exam, I never read as I always had someone who will come to me for group revision. Whilst revising with them, I used the opportunity to revise myself.

Exams came and results were released. I had 5 A's and one C giving me a CGPA of 4.67 once more. grin

As a matter of fact, I could easily have had all A's. Few days to writing the exam in which I had a C, my hostel in ekosodin was raided by armed robbers. I didn't get over the trauma on time and it affected my performance.

That was how I achieved the seemingly impossible feat. The joy I felt in my heart knows no bounds the day I saw that result.

I have then made this my watch word, wherever there's a will, there's always a way.

My advice to students who are still in school is this, don't let anyone deceive you. No one is better than you are. Whoever does better than you in exams is simply doing something you're not doing. It's your duty to find out.

Secondly, do not underestimate the importance of attending lectures. That was one of my greatest mistakes. Lectures, no matter how boring it may seem are always important. If not for any other thing, it guides you when reading.

Thirdly, never ever give up. As long as it's still mathematically possible for you to make a particular grade, strive to attain it.

I hope this will put an end to those threads whose tittle reads, 'I have a GPA of..., can I still make a 2.1/first class?"

Yes, you can as long as it's mathematically possible. cheesy
thank you,,,,,......resuming in two days,cant wait ti start planing how to avoid my freinds this period.they are too distracting,.......this is motivating......must pass 4.5 this time.....thanks again

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Skykid1208(m): 9:38pm On Jan 04, 2015
OnyeEgo1:

4 year course bro, biology education tho

HI boss I just got admitted to the same course, please can you tell me little tinz about the course?
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by tosyne2much(m): 9:46pm On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy, may God bless you for influencing the lives of people with your experience.

The only thing I want you to throw more light on, is how to answer questions appropriately. I noticed that many brilliant students end up with an average grades not because they were not well prepared but because they haven't found the secrets to answering questions appropriately

My questions goes thus:
1. Do you have to beat around the bush when answering questions ? That is, when you are asked to give a definition & after giving the lecturer's definition, do you go about writing wetin no loss? grin

2. Is your academic success as a result of pure cramming ? (I mean does cramming rock your bolt ?)

3. Judging from ur 100L experience, must your booklet be full b4 you hit a high score ?

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by derbybliz(m): 9:53pm On Jan 04, 2015
Thanks Op for ur Kind advice....looking forward to 300 level

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by ninovandross(m): 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2015
tosyne2much:
Engrtemmy, may God bless you for influencing the lives of people with your experience.

The only thing I want you to throw more light on, is how to answer questions appropriate. I notice that many brilliant students end up with an average grades not because they were not well prepared but because they haven't found the secrets to answering questions appropriate

My questions goes thus:
1. Do you have to beat around the bush when answering questions ? That is, when you are asked to define a definition & after giving the lecture's definition, do you go about writing wetin no loss? grin

2. Is your academic success as a result of pure cramming ? (I mean does cramming rock your bolt ?)

3. Judging from ur 100L experience, must your booklet be full b4 you hit a high score ?

nice question bro, me for some unknown reason I no dey ever write plenty even when I can,

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by ninovandross(m): 10:04pm On Jan 04, 2015
Bootybuttchic:
thank you,,,,,......resuming in two days,cant wait ti start planing how to avoid my freinds this period.they are too distracting,.......this is motivating......must pass 4.5 this time.....thanks again
hey u, been a while hw u doin
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jan 04, 2015
klem93:
watch out for me cause this story will go a long way to bring out the peak in me

That's the spirit bro... Wishing you all the best.

cheesy
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
Bootybuttchic:

You're half way there. At least, you've identified the problem and what needs to be done.

The sky is your limit sis
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by tosyne2much(m): 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy:

You're half way there. At least, you've identified the problem and what needs to be done.

The sky is your limit sis
Why dodge my kweshions ?
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by haryormeedeh(f): 10:22pm On Jan 04, 2015
tosyne2much:

The only thing I want you to throw more light on, is how to answer questions appropriately. I noticed that many brilliant students end up with an average grades not because they were not well prepared but because they haven't found the secrets to answering questions appropriately

My questions goes thus:
1. Do you have to beat around the bush when answering questions ? That is, when you are asked to give a definition & after giving the lecture's definition, do you go about writing wetin no loss? grin

lemme try and answer the questions based on the lil knowledge I have.
1.it depends on the lecturer, so you get to know the lecturer wella. If he likes story, you write it plenty. if he doesn't, just write what he gives you.

2. I cram a lot and it helps me. As long as it is a Nigerian university, you got to cram. that's why some people read a week to exam and pass very well, it depends on your level of cramming.its only in
a few courses it doesn't work

3. In my school o, you write as much as you can especially chemistry. it's very advisable to fill it the booklet up.because most times, students are the ones marking it

N.B :am just saying from the experience I have o, am still learning

3 Likes

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by tosyne2much(m): 10:28pm On Jan 04, 2015
haryormeedeh:
lemme try and answer the questions based on the lil knowledge I have.

1.it depends on the lecturer, so you get to know the lecturer wella. If he likes story, you write it plenty. if he doesn't, just write what he gives you.

2. I cram a lot and it helps me. As long as it is a Nigerian university, you got to cram. that's why Some people read a week to exam and pass very well, it depends on your level of cramming.its only in
a few courses it doesn't work

3. In my school o, you write as much as you can especially chemistry. it's very advisable to fill it the booklet up.because most times, students are the ones marking it

N.B :am just saying from the experience I have o, am still learning
at d bolded, I think I has to do with different lecturers. I could vividly remember when my lecturer outrightly said " If you write stories for me, I will cross it out and score you Zero"

Another one said, " if your booklet isn't full, it means you have little or no understanding of the whole thing "

@ last bolded, cramming method works perfectly for some students while it doesn't work for some students. Lemme use myself as an example, I'm not used to cramming but I can write a full text book from my head" grin..
Needless I say, there's a lady in my dept who crams hell. She could barely speak a sentence correctly but she still rocks my department
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Natasha2(f): 10:37pm On Jan 04, 2015
poster thanks for this thread.
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by haryormeedeh(f): 10:43pm On Jan 04, 2015
tosyne2much:
at d bolded, I think I has to do with different lecturers. I could vividly remember when my lecturer outrightly said " If you write stories for me, I will cross it out and score you Zero"

Another one said, " if your booklet isn't full, it means you have little or no understanding of the whole thing "

@ last bolded, cramming method works perfectly for some students while it doesn't work for some students. Lemme use myself as an example, I'm not used to cramming but I can write a full text book from my head" grin..
Needless I say, there's a lady in my dept who crams hell. She could barely speak a sentence correctly but she still rocks my department

sometimes, the cramming has to do with your department. I think in social sciences (am not very sure), you get to think more and cram less but in sciences or engineering, I laugh at those that say they don't cram because there are some things you don't understand, you cram it and you pour it. The major thing is to get to know one's self and work on the strengths and weaknesses to achieve

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Kazrem(m): 10:44pm On Jan 04, 2015
First class on my mind. This has reignited my determination. I almost had first in my college days but will ensure I achieve it this time. May God help me.

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 04, 2015
tosyne2much:

I went through your questions and I find them quite interesting and intriguing. Yes bro, there are ways of answering questions.

My questions goes thus:
1. Do you have to beat around the bush when answering questions ? That is, when you are asked to give a definition & after giving the lecture's definition, do you go about writing wetin no loss? grin

I didn't have to beat around the bush when asked to define but I never stopped at just the definition. If for example the lecturer gave more than one definition, I give the two. If he says what is being defined can be divided into three, I write it. If he says there are sub divisions, I include it. Of course, I won't have to go into explanations since it wasn't asked. In essence, I simply define all there is to define.

When I'm asked to explain, I again explain all there is to explain. Do not ever make the mistake of thinking the lecturer won't read what you wrote if it's quite much. As long as what you're writing is correct and you're not going off point, most of them seem to enjoy reading such lengthy answers grin

Lol, I don't even know if to call it cramming. Well, you would have noticed from all I wrote I read repeatedly. I might end up reading a subject 5 or 6 times since I read it after every lecture day, before every lecture day and during the weekend. Most times, after reading repeatedly, I discover I can comfortably write in the lecturers own words. The cramming wasn't really deliberate but I think it's still essentially cramming. cheesy

May I add that, I perfectly understood mist of them but repeated reading makes it feel like I've crammed.

I actually had no 100L. I gained admission through DE and started from 200L. And the booklet need not be full. Just make sure you've written all there is to write.

I know of people who made it a point of duty to collect extra sheets in almost all exams. When results are released, you wonder what it is they write. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 04, 2015
tosyne2much:
Why dodge my kweshions ?

Lol, I was responding already as at when you sent this
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jan 04, 2015
Natasha2:
poster thanks for this thread.

Thanks sis.

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 04, 2015
Kazrem:
First class on my mind. This has reignited my determination. I almost had first in my college days but will ensure I achieve it this time. May God help me.

All the best bro and a big amen to that prayer.
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Natasha2(f): 11:01pm On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy:

Thanks sis.

you're welcome

Btw I thought 3.5 to 4.49 was the second class upper mark
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jan 04, 2015
CSTR:
lol.
This thread reminds me of my UNIBEN days.
Everybody in uniben knows the department of ELECT/ELECT ENGR is the most 'lenient' in Uniben's faculty of engineering.
Unlike other departments,
they churn out atleast 10 first class' on the average every year.
Your story is not really improbable .
The department of chemical engineering on the other hand is a different matter.
It would take a miracle for such turn-around to happen there.
Infact, if you were not already on 4.0 GPA in your 100/200 , then you are screwed.
The sadistic ,overzealous and megalomaniacal lecturers there will run you ragged.
By the time i will graduate with a CGPA of 4.80 in chemical engineering, the doctors at health center had to recommend me for psychiatric analysis at USELU hospital.
It was a satisfying educational experience though.

Lol, while you're quite right about most of the things you wrote, you're wrong about my course of study cheesy

I didn't study electrical engineering, even though it seems I implied it.

I actually studied Computer Engineering. Electrical was my sister department, we took several courses together.
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 04, 2015
ninovandross:
nice question bro, me for some unknown reason I no dey ever write plenty even when I can,

Please and please, don't make that mistake again. As long as you know what to write and it's the right thing to write, please always write it.

Like I told tosyne2much, don't make the mistake of thinking the lecturer will get pissed off. On the contrary, from my observations, most of them enjoy marking scripts of such students.
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jan 04, 2015
Natasha2:

you're welcome

Btw I thought 3.5 to 4.49 was the second class upper mark

Yes, you're right. Is anything confusing you?
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 04, 2015
I think I need to clear this before someone comes to accuse me of lying. If you take an average of all the GPAs I wrote, it's never going to give you 4.02.

There's a way CGPA's are calculated in uniben which seems different from other schools. Those who attend/attended uniben will understand better.

For those of us who were direct entry students, our 200L result makes up 10 percent of our total CGPA. 300L, 20 percent, 400L, 30 percent and 500L, 40 percent.
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Natasha2(f): 11:13pm On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy:

Yes, you're right. Is anything confusing you?

lol thanks, not anymore. I just read the post again.

The result was released and I was handed my first shock . I had a GPA of 3.48 which of course was a

I actually saw 3.84 lol I got scared a bit

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of A Nairalander's Graduation/induction Ceremony / Whatsapp Group For Jamb 2015/2016 and your university stats / I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.