Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business (112369 Views)

Tales Of Losses: Engage Nigeria's Army Of Half Baked Artisans At Your Peril. / Storage Business Onions And Pepper (tatashi) / Onions Business. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 18, 2015
Are you in need of onions? Do you want to go into the business of buying onions from the farm in the north and selling in the markets in the south? You have no idea of how to go about the business or you are considering the stress of going to the north to buy the onions? If your answer is YES, then I'm here to help you out.

First of all, let me start by introducing myself. My name is Ibijoke. I live in the north (Sokoto) with my hubby and beautiful daughter. My hubby works in the north and I'm just a full house wife. Though before relocating to the north to join my hubby, I was working. Relocating to the north took me a lot of courage as I was left with no other choice if I wanted to save my marriage. Getting to the north, I searched for jobs, but couldn't get one. I tried other businesses that I knew would have been successful if I was to be in the south but here in the north, it wasn't moving fine as expected. I got tired of everything. I was offered a teaching job with the monthly salary of N10,000. Hell NO! I just couldn't work for N10,000. Hubby could afford N10,000 if I wanted. Instead of sitting at home, I started following hubby to his sales trip. As the regional sales manager (Zamfara, Kebbi, Sokoto and Konni Niger) he was bound to travel. So whenever he is going on a journey to these states and their local government, my daughter and I do follow him. In the course of our journey to these states and local governments, I discovered that these states are blessed with vast farm lands and foods. During one of my trip to Yauri in Kebbi state, I saw lots of Brown Beans. A lot of people came far away to buy the beans in bags. Also Aleiro in Kebbi state, I saw lots of onions farm. The people in Aleiro are known for onions. I learnt its the biggest onion market\ farm in west africa. Buyers comes all the way from cotonou, Ghana, togo and other parts of Nigeria to buy. I saw dry pepper, fresh tomatoe and pepper in Zamfara. In Illela Sokoto state, a lot of cattles (Ram, Goat, Cow, Donkey, Camel) all very cheap.

I was so happy. I said to myself, now I have a job. Last year November 2014, I did all the necessary research. Finally, I made up my mind to go into food stuff business. I discussed with my husband. He gave his financial support. January 2015, I was good to go.

The journey begins here.

I chose the onions line of business. I plan to start with the onions, then later proceed with other food stuff. My hubby and I went to Aleiro farm. We met the farmers. We made our orders. As a matter of fact, we selected and bagged the onions ourselves with the help of the farmers and my hubby kid brother. After the packing, we loaded them into the trailer going to lagos. The truth is, I had no idea where to put my onions in lagos since I had no warehouse. I bought aero flight ticket from sokoto to lagos so as to meet the trailer of onions in lagos. Though my hubby kid brother joined the trailer to lagos. When I arrived lagos, I met some market women, I showed them the picture of the onions. They made their orders. I also met some other women and they were interested in buying at my own price. I also visited the mile 12 market for the first time before the arrival of the trailer. I discussed with some mallams and told them of my onions on the way.

Finally the trailer got to lagos and his last bus stop is mile 12 market. I met my brother in-law. It was a journey of 3 days instead of 2 because the trailer had some fault on the way. My onions was offloade and dropped in care of an Alhaji. I never knew the Alhaji was the chairman of the onions market in mile 12 not until after the transaction. The operation in mile 12 was so easy and smooth. No mago mago. Its an open market. I got my money. No cheating. I paid for the space, the offloading (Alabaru) and the transportation after the sales in mile 12.

The business was worth doing. I enjoyed everybit of it and I intend to continue it as my permanent business. I will like to say a big thank you to Tunji. I met him here on naira land and he was of a big help too.

I'm willing to answer all your questions.
Thank you.

75 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Pavore9: 10:04am On Feb 18, 2015
That is nice.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Rich4god(m): 10:08am On Feb 18, 2015
nice one... so many business opportunity exist in Nigeria. sadly, most Nigerian youths don't have the eyed to see it. And then, foreigners will come, set up the biz and pay us peanuts.

23 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 18, 2015
Rich4god:
nice one... so many business opportunity exist in Nigeria. sadly, most Nigerian youths don't have the eyed to see it. And then, foreigners will come, set up the biz and pay us peanuts.

They see it, they just don't want to get their hands dirty and it happens that the most lucrative businesses in NIGERIA will degrade you physically but upgrade you financially. You can name it;

Dirt Packing,
Pure Water Retailing Business,
Dry Cleaning Business,

And A list of others.

Dignity in Labour is the ideal, but the actual reality is what we find these days amongst youths like me.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by jumyinq: 10:20am On Feb 18, 2015
pls im interested, kindly drop ur email address

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Rich4god(m): 10:26am On Feb 18, 2015
blogexpert:

They see it, they just don't want to get their hands dirty and it happens that the most lucrative businesses in NIGERIA will degrade you physically but upgrade you financially. You can name it;

Dirt Packing,
Dry Cleaning Business,

And A list of others.

Dignity in Labour is the ideal, but the actual reality is what we find these days amongst youths like me.
but you know, sometimes lack of capital is a factor.

13 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 10:30am On Feb 18, 2015
Rich4god:
You start up the Drycleaning Business and Purewater business with less than N5,000. I was a drycleaner........

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 18, 2015
at OP, please can you drop your email for those that might be interested
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by mekaboy(m): 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2015
pls how many percent profit did u make?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by debbydee(f): 1:42pm On Feb 18, 2015
very soon people will jump into this line now. From the woman story she took her time to discover the business.

13 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by lugiano1: 3:23pm On Feb 18, 2015
Can some one work with atleast for once before doin it alone? Am a coper and will soon pass out I hv been looking for a biz to start but am afraid of wasting my savings.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by lugiano1: 3:30pm On Feb 18, 2015
Can some one work with you atleast for once before
doin it alone? Am a coper and will soon pass out and I
hv been looking for a biz to start but am afraid of
wasting my savings.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 18, 2015
Pavore9:
That is nice.

Thank you sir
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by OCTAVO: 4:42pm On Feb 18, 2015
Good one!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 18, 2015
Rich4god:

That was why I decided to share my experience here.

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 5:31pm On Feb 18, 2015
blogexpert:

Dirt Packing,
Dry Cleaning Business,

And A list of others.

Exactly! I had friends who mocked me. At first when I told them I was going into it, they were like onions? They were surprised. Some even tagged me 'IYA ALALUBOSA'. Sincerely I became ashamed and embarrassed but when I thought of the financial up-grading I would be getting from the business, I just boned all my mockers. Like my hubby favourite quote, 'Money is in the mouth of a Lion' or let me say, 'Na inside shit money dey' lol. Mile 12 is one dirty place I never in my wildest dream thought I could visit. Not just visit, but step into the mud, stinking dirty water. What about when I have to do the delivery service. That fetch me more money. But it diminishes my status as I do not have a car of my own in lagos. So I'm left with no option than to jump from one bus to another with a bag of onions. I must confess, its really dirty but it pays well!

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 18, 2015
jumyinq:
pls im interested, kindly drop ur email address

catered4@yahoo.com
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 18, 2015
Rich4god:

Yes lack of capital could be one of the factor but trust me, with N5000, one could actually start a business...

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2015
doseni:
at OP, please can you drop your email for those that might be interested

catered4@yahoo.com
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2015
debbydee:
very soon people will jump into this line now. From the woman story she took her time to discover the business.

Exactly ma. I really took my time.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 5:46pm On Feb 18, 2015
lugiano1:
Can some one work with atleast for once before doin it alone? Am a coper and will soon pass out I hv been looking for a biz to start but am afraid of wasting my savings.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY, JUST DO IT!!! catered4@yahoo.com
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 18, 2015
OCTAVO:
Good one!

Thanks.
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by lugiano1: 11:57pm On Feb 18, 2015
What about d hausa men in d market? Is d biz not monopolised by dem?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 8:08am On Feb 19, 2015
lugiano1:
What about d hausa men in d market? Is d biz not monopolised by dem?

Yes it is but if you meet the right ones, then you've gat no problem.

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by trekkie: 8:50am On Feb 19, 2015

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by hahn(m): 9:04am On Feb 19, 2015
@catered4, thanks a lot for creating this thread. I've been looking for a way to penetrate this business for a while now. I have a few questions:

1. What's the minimum capital needed to start this business.
2. Would you mind if we partner?
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by Nobody: 11:16am On Feb 19, 2015
hahn:
@catered4, thanks a lot for creating this thread. I've been looking for a way to penetrate this business for a while now. I have a few questions:

1. What's the minimum capital needed to start this business.
2. Would you mind if we partner?

You are welcome sir.
1. The minimum capital to start this business is N11,000. For instance, I have a friend who is starting with 3 bags. After her NYSC, she has been jobless. I pitied her jobless state so I decided to help her out. I advised her to go into the business but she has no capital. I told her to start with what she can afford even if its a bag. I believe you understand what I mean...

2. As regard to partnering, I haven't thought of that anyway. I will have to discuss first with my hubby. Call\ whatsapp 08139448193

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by mrsage(m): 11:16am On Feb 19, 2015
Watching
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by hahn(m): 11:31am On Feb 19, 2015
Catered4:

You are welcome sir.
1. The minimum capital to start this business is N10,000. For instance, I have a friend who is starting with 3 bags. After her NYSC, she has been jobless. I pitied her jobless state so I decided to help her out. I advised her to go into the business but she has no capital. I told her to start with what she can afford even if its a bag. I believe you understand what I mean...

2. As regard to partnering, I haven't thought of that anyway. I will have to discuss first with my hubby. Call\ whatsapp 08139448193

Thanks a lot for your reply. I already sent you an email requesting for your number and I'm glad you already sent it here. I'd be glad to start on the same scale like your friend. I already have a business I'm running and I'm seriously looking to create another source of income plus I know what it means to start with whatever one has.

Since you created this thread, I'm certain you did it to enlighten people and I'm glad to continue the discussion here so others can learn too.

Please, what assistance can you offer for someone like me who is also ready to start with as little as 10k? What's the potential profit margin and what role do I have to play to ensure that it works out. I reside in Sagamu Ogun state but getting to Ketu isn't a problem for me and I can make myself available to conclude the transaction @ Ketu

Thank you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by kendraloops(f): 11:58am On Feb 19, 2015
Op, i love your spirit. you inspire me. i would send you an email.

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by debbydee(f): 1:12pm On Feb 19, 2015
following
Re: A Nairalander Tales Of Her Onions Business by wildchild1: 3:23pm On Feb 19, 2015
I hope this is not another scamming thread?
I am interested if this is for real...
Watching closely
GMB is also watching on 3D grin

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

12 Things You Need To Know About Bank Verification Number (BVN) / Anatomy Of An Entrepreneur / Ladi Delano: Nigeria's Youngest Billionaire [pictured]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.