Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,799 members, 7,844,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

How Did You Know There Were Different Ethnic Groups In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Did You Know There Were Different Ethnic Groups In Nigeria? (929 Views)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Know There Were Different Ethnic Groups In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 20, 2009
When I was young, I only knew about Igbos (there are a lot in Esan), Hausas (heard of them but never in good terms) and Yorubas (went to Lagos frequently) and my tribe (in part) of course. Until I was 10 I used to think I was Edo but then my folks taught me that the Esans were a different ethnic group and didn't even share the language with the Binis.

I thought I'd have learnt further at school but I was never thought. All I was made to cram were the 36 state of Nigeria but nobody bothered to tell me who lived there. My contacts with other ethnies were mainly through meetings.

So how did develop your cultural knowledge of Nigeria?

You can consult the list on this thread and be sincere about the number of groups you know about.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-55383.32.html
Re: How Did You Know There Were Different Ethnic Groups In Nigeria? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:57pm On May 20, 2009
When I was younger, I grew up only knowing of Ngwa. Then when I was around 12 or 13, I had a sense of Igbo identity. At that time, I started also realizing that something like Yoruba, and Hausa, and Ibibio and Efik, etc. etc. existed. I had never encountered any of those groups until I was in high school in U.S. Then by the time I was 18, I realized the multiplicity of ethnicities in Nigeria (most of which I have never, even 'til now, encountered).
Re: How Did You Know There Were Different Ethnic Groups In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:59pm On May 20, 2009
ChinenyeN:

When I was younger, I grew up only knowing of Ngwa. Then when I was around 12 or 13, I had a sense of Igbo identity. At that time, I started also realizing that something like Yoruba, and Hausa, and Ibibio and Efik, etc. etc. I had never encountered any of those groups until I was in high school in U.S. Then by the time I was 18, I realized the multiplicity of ethnicities in Nigeria (most of which I have never, even 'til now, encountered).

Why doesn't the education in Nigera promote cultural studies?
Re: How Did You Know There Were Different Ethnic Groups In Nigeria? by ijawgirl: 10:24pm On May 20, 2009
well when I was younger I never knew I was Ibani or Ijaw. I thought I was just from bonny. If anybody asked me where I was from/ethnic group I wld just say am from Bonny. By the age of 10 thats when my parents taught me my language
I knew about the igbos because most of my teachers were igbos and they always used to boast how  igbo people are industrious and are considered the business tycoons of Nigeria cheesy.  ah ha I knew Ikwerres right from time because they had the craziest, most violent burial ceremonies on earth, hausas(mallam, suya and gate men), calabar people because of their names and most of our maids were from calabar, yorubas(lagos)
knew most ethnic groups in the south south by the time I was 14.

I had no idea abt the middle belt  till I was 17

now I guess I know abt most ethnic groups in Nigeria
Re: How Did You Know There Were Different Ethnic Groups In Nigeria? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:59pm On May 21, 2009
Why doesn't the education in Nigera promote cultural studies?
------ Well, this I can't answer. Sorry. If I had to guess though, I'd say that it is because Nigeria has yet to properly orient itself as a country.
Re: How Did You Know There Were Different Ethnic Groups In Nigeria? by queenTG(f): 11:43pm On May 23, 2009
i have learn IT at school  IN HISTORY AND GEOGRAPHY  I  WANNA LEARN MORE THANKS
Re: How Did You Know There Were Different Ethnic Groups In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:58am On May 24, 2009
Don't know about you guys but we had cultural studies in my primary school. It was actually called "Cultural Arts", a subject on its own. I knew there were other ethnic groups in the 36 states as a child like Efik, Tiv, Nupe ctc. During open days or major festivities where parents are invited, we presented activities where a child would represent a particular ethnic group and maybe say a greeting or a few lines in the language.
Re: How Did You Know There Were Different Ethnic Groups In Nigeria? by romeo(m): 12:14pm On May 24, 2009
You are right stillwater, i was taught all these while i was in primary and secondary schools

(1) (Reply)

Trendy Ibo Guys Rocking Traditional Dance In Amsterdam! / Intresting Facts About The Slave Era / Who Is A Nigerian American? Are They The Same As American Nigerian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.