Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,628 members, 7,847,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 10:43 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16185) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11846570 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16182) (16183) (16184) (16185) (16186) (16187) (16188) ... (16242) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 7:21pm On May 17
TheGoodJoe:

It is only here you will see 1+1 = 2 and still argue.
coming from someone that called grealish one of the best wingers in the league even when the stats did not support such assertion, this is quite funny.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:22pm On May 17
FIFA has increased Africa slot for under 17 World Cup to be 10. Also, the participants duration also reduced to yearly instead of two years interval. Qatar will host the tournament for the next 5 yrs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:41pm On May 17
Arguing with you is like pouring water into a basket.
Josef Bican is greater than Pele then since he had more goals! lol!
TheGoodJoe:

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:46pm On May 17
Marjoribanks:
Arguing with you is like pouring water into a basket.
Josef Bican is greater than Pele then since he had more goals! lol!

Scoring more goals is not greater. Simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:47pm On May 17
soetanoreoluwa:
FIFA has increased Africa slot for under 17 World Cup to be 10. Also, the participants duration also reduced to yearly instead of two years interval. Qatar will host the tournament for the next 5 yrs.

shocked shocked shocked

Nigeria should make the most use of this by prioritizing quality selection and development.

Thank you for the info

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:03pm On May 17
Amedino99:
coming from someone that called grealish one of the best wingers in the league even when the stats did not support such assertion, this is quite funny.

The point is simple.

Kevin De Bruyne more effective in offensive contributions than Zidane.

I did not say Kevin De Bruyne is better than Zidane in all round play. There are many things the Pope from France outclasses De Bruyne. However, when it comes to effective offensive contributions, KDB rules.

Jack Grealish when it comes to contributions like keeping the ball in offensive third, drawing fouls, linking up with the forwards, Grealish had a good run and was one of the best wingers in the EPL. I even showed you articles that agreed with my notion.

However, I did not say Grealish was the most effective or one of the most effective wingers when it came to offensive play.

Gerrit?

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by villagereporter(m): 8:07pm On May 17
TheGoodJoe:

On the basis of influence, big stage determinant and the aural of a player on other team member Zidane is far ahead of KDB.

KDB is a learner regardless of statistics.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 9:18pm On May 17
Broos' SA are a decent ball playing with good chemistry. The definitely have more time to prepare for their games since a good number of them are home based and play together at club level. I expect a more direct tactical approach from Finidi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:34pm On May 17
Napoleon55:
We need to be serious with our age grade teams and programs instead of continually wishing for players who are not interested of playing for us not until they are rejected by their country of birth .

No matter how bad things are in Nigeria, we are capable of producing talents good enough who would more passionate to represent us and win us trophies.
Our home made artistes and athletes achievements is good testament to this.

Athletics is not football ⚽.

Talent has to be developef and U17 football particularly in Nigeria is just potential talent. There is huge gulf between youth football and first team football.

Do we have in Nigeria the infrastructure and top level coaches to ensure that talent doesn't die in potential.

Talent is going to have to be nurtured, educated, trained and created into top level footballers in the top level professional football clubs. Not in obalende united fc.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Longneck: 9:46pm On May 17
Joe Aribo might just be heading back to the premier league
I wanted Semi Ajayi though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:55pm On May 17
villagereporter:

On the basis of influence, big stage determinant and the aural of a player on other team member Zidane is far ahead of KDB.

KDB is a learner regardless of statistics.

I agree. When it comes to offensive contributions in an effective manner, KDB is far ahead. πŸ˜‚.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:57pm On May 17
komekn:

Athletics is not football ⚽.

Talent has to be developef and U17 football particularly in Nigeria is just potential talent. There is huge gulf between youth football and first team football.

Do we have in Nigeria the infrastructure and top level coaches to ensure that talent doesn't die in potential.

Talent is going to have to be nurtured, educated, trained and created into top level footballers in the top level professional football clubs. Not in obalende united fc.

That is what Napoleon55 is talking about us getting serious.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 10:14pm On May 17
It is similar to saying that Nigeria experienced something like this in the early to mid-90s. No matter the pattern of play, without the right players, everything will fall apart. This has happened to teams like the Brazilians, Dutch, Italians, and others.
caprikon:

Germany under Klinsmann did something like that after their horror show at Euro 2004 and I think that culminated in their eventual 2014 world cup win.

Spanish teams have always had this thing about patient build up with play with short passes.

Though I understand the difficulty with national teams...with time ...there has to adaption to the players especially when there is a deep in the quality.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:32pm On May 17
Marjoribanks:
It is similar to saying that Nigeria experienced something like this in the early to mid-90s. No matter the pattern of play, without the right players, everything will fall apart. This has happened to teams like the Brazilians, Dutch, Italians, and others.

Contrary, I agree with caprikon. Build the teams after a philosophy. It makes it easy to identify the right fit and make the managers more efficient.

Also it will help in building the team with a long term approach than the roll of dice system we do.

Finally, it will help us widen our pool in our search of quality talents because we know exactly what we are looking for in the player for a particular role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 10:57pm On May 17
Here is a perfect example of why we should not blame these kids when they choose England, Germany, Holland, or Spain over Nigeria. πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡³πŸ‡±πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Έ

I remember trying to get Lookman Ademola to play for Nigeria, but to no avail, so I wrote to my friend who is the director of grassroots football and education at the FA, who then arranged my visit to see the England U21’s or U20’s. So I went with an old Naija Jersey [Adidas] for all the players to sign. We had some Naija boys on the squad, i.e., Lookman, Tomori, Abraham, and Ojo, to name a few.

Luckily for me, I bumped into Lookman, who was going for an interview, so I stopped, whispered into his ears; You will play for Nigeria. πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬βœŒοΈ

His facial expression conveyed his displeasure with my statement. Despite his initial reluctance, I managed to convince him to take a picture with me as proof. Those familiar with Lookman understand his reserved demeanor, akin to the Olise personality type.

The reason I chose this particular scenario is as follows:

- Lookman believed he had an opportunity to play for the England senior team and was hesitant to commit to Nigeria due to his success at the time.

- Aina's situation was more straightforward. He promptly acknowledged that the England route was unlikely, making my approach with him uncomplicated. His father's trust in the process, along with the influence of his close friend Iwobi, facilitated a successful resolution.

In conclusion, I kindly request that we refrain from criticizing Nigerian descendants who initially decline to play for Nigeria. If you were presented with the chance to represent England, Germany, or the Netherlands, would you unequivocally choose Nigeria, even for your child?

Presently, I am pleased that both players are part of our team. Although there are challenges within the NFF, the platform has provided benefits. The significance of the Nigerian factor cannot be overlooked.

For us,we will continue to push behind the scene, what matters to us is a better Nigerian football development for nigerians home & Diaspora

✍️ David Doherty
Football Administrator
@nigerianyouthfa x @nigeriauksportawards

#teamnigeriauk3 #lookman #aina #mrlulu #naija

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 11:12pm On May 17
Of course, that is the normal process; however, history has taught us that it is hardly possible at the national team level. Even clubs face the same situation when certain players are not available. You can have the pattern, but if the players who can execute it are not available, there is little you can do. Nigeria, Spain, Brazil, Italy, and the Netherlands are prime examples
TheGoodJoe:

Contrary, I agree with caprikon. Build the teams after a philosophy. It makes it easy to identify the right fit and make the managers more efficient.

Also it will help in building the team with a long term approach than the roll of dice system we do.

Finally, it will help us widen our pool in our search of quality talents because we know exactly what we are looking for in the player for a particular role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzerooo: 11:38pm On May 17
Marjoribanks:
Without Osimhen we are not beating both SA and Benin!

Osimhen is like the assistant captain on the pitch, he not only gives his 100% but raises the level of those around him, mogbe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:29am On May 18
In terms of cohesiveness and team chemistry, we are not gonna beat them. This is where some brilliant individual play from big game players are needed. We have to also outwit them tactically as we expect them to do lots of running and dancing around the ball
caprikon:
Broos' SA are a decent ball playing with good chemistry. The definitely have more time to prepare for their games since a good number of them are home based and play together at club level. I expect a more direct tactical approach from Finidi.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:35am On May 18
Na the matter some of us dey talk since for this thread. My nephew is a very talented kid. I make sure to update his Naija jersey regularly. He may play basketball or soccer professionally in future. But will I advise him to dump England. He also has a chance with the US. As much as I want to keep him close to his African roots, patriotism here is clearly split.

humility33:
Here is a perfect example of why we should not blame these kids when they choose England, Germany, Holland, or Spain over Nigeria. πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡³πŸ‡±πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Έ

I remember trying to get Lookman Ademola to play for Nigeria, but to no avail, so I wrote to my friend who is the director of grassroots football and education at the FA, who then arranged my visit to see the England U21’s or U20’s. So I went with an old Naija Jersey [Adidas] for all the players to sign. We had some Naija boys on the squad, i.e., Lookman, Tomori, Abraham, and Ojo, to name a few.

Luckily for me, I bumped into Lookman, who was going for an interview, so I stopped, whispered into his ears; You will play for Nigeria. πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬βœŒοΈ

His facial expression conveyed his displeasure with my statement. Despite his initial reluctance, I managed to convince him to take a picture with me as proof. Those familiar with Lookman understand his reserved demeanor, akin to the Olise personality type.

- Lookman believed he had an opportunity to play for the England senior team and was hesitant to commit to Nigeria due to his success at the time.

- Aina's situation was more straightforward. He promptly acknowledged that the England route was unlikely, making my approach with him uncomplicated. His father's trust in the process, along with the influence of his close friend Iwobi, facilitated a successful resolution.

In conclusion, I kindly request that we refrain from criticizing Nigerian descendants who initially decline to play for Nigeria. If you were presented with the chance to represent England, Germany, or the Netherlands, would you unequivocally choose Nigeria, even for your child?

Presently, I am pleased that both players are part of our team. Although there are challenges within the NFF, the platform has provided benefits. The significance of the Nigerian factor cannot be overlooked.

For us,we will continue to push behind the scene, what matters to us is a better Nigerian football development for nigerians home & Diaspora

✍️ David Doherty
Football Administrator

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 3:54am On May 18
Naija on the March!

Their Olympic qualification has swelled Team Nigeria’s contingent to 73 athletes for the Paris Olympics.

Moreover, their qualification has also guaranteed Nigeria’s participation in a record 11 sports at a Summer Olympics!!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 4:58am On May 18
Forgot to update this, but on Tuesday, Cyriel Dessers scored his 22nd goal of the season, and finally took his goal contribution tally to an impressive number of 30 (22 goals and 8 assists) --- the highest by any Nigerian currently playing in Europe (correct me if I'm wrong).

This is his first season for Rangers and he's already made 30 goal contributions. Banger of a season he's having. 😎

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 6:52am On May 18
COOL10:
Forgot to update this, but on Tuesday, Cyriel Dessers scored his 22nd goal of the season, and finally took his goal contribution tally to an impressive number of 30 (22 goals and 8 assists) --- the highest by any Nigerian currently playing in Europe (correct me if I'm wrong).

This is his first season for Rangers and he's already made 30 goal contributions. Banger of a season he's having. 😎

Yeah he sure is..
I pray they get into the UCL group stage next season
Would like to see him against better players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:59am On May 18
humility33:

✍️ David Doherty
Football Administrator

some don even turn the thing to beef here 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 8:24am On May 18
Niklas Sule: Can any European team tolerate this if it is an African player? They will simply relegate the player to team B or terminate his contract.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Longneck: 9:18am On May 18
COOL10:

This is his first season for Rangers and he's already made 30 goal contributions. Banger of a season he's having.
In the Scottish league

Paul Onuachu fit score 50 goals there sef

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:37am On May 18
Napoleon55:

That is what I meant by being serious, putting competent coaches in charge of our age grades teams,u-15,u-17,u-20 and u-23.

No serious FA will have Ladan Bosso as a coach.

You have it completely wrong 😞.

National team coaches have very limited time with their players. National team is not where you come to learn, it is where you bring what YOU HAVE.

Your unique skill sets, abilities, attributes and competencies. These different components of a player will be developed primarily at your club. Not over two weeks or less in the national team set up.

For instance, in England and across Europe 🌍 you will not 🚫 find a single player coming from grass roots football at U15 youth National team. In England the players will come from EPL predominantly and a few from the Championship.

This is where they train and play 4/5 times a week sometimes even more. The club will have the greatest influence over the players development at this stage.

At U15 level barely 20% will end up playing top level professional football ⚽, if that. That percentile increases as you go up to U17/19/21.

As a consequence the National team coaches having these players for a very limited time. Will concentrate on team formation,tactic, and strategy not 🚫 individual development.

Unless the government invests in infrastructure the percentage % of players coming from Europe born and or nurtured will increase not decrease. As it stands we don't have a single player coming from the NPFL as it stands in the SE.

If not for corruption and the recruitment included players at U17 level coming from Europe what percentage of players coming from local academies in Nigeria would be in the U17 ❓

I remember Ademola and Oviemuno were rejected at U17 screening that took place in London many years ago. It was shrouded in under handed practices quite disgracefully.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:43am On May 18
Longneck:
In the Scottish league

Paul Onuachu fit score 50 goals there sef

I don't know, but Sadiq was woeful there and here is Dessers in the same team killing it.

Onuachu played 11 games in the EPL not a single goal πŸ₯…. Turkish league is just one or two steps πŸͺœ higher than the Scottish premier League.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:52am On May 18
humility33:

[b]
- Lookman believed he had an opportunity to play for the England senior team and was hesitant to commit to Nigeria due to his success at the t[/b]ime.

✍️ David Doherty
Football Administrator

Docherty is capping for the press.

Oviemuno and Lookman where among several players who came to the London screening which he Docherty was a part of at the time.

But they were not selected Ovie was at Arsenal then and a top prospect. Ademola at Charlton.

And I've spoken to Ovie and several other Nigerian origin players. The NFF officials are preoccupied sorry obsessed with cutting βœ‚οΈ deals with agents on behalf of players. These are players willing to sign and do anything for the dream of playing in Europe.

Out NFF officials are merciless predators in it for one thing personal interest. The exception to that is Finidi.

There is corruption in the England selection as well however as you get to U18 it gets reduced but not wiped out.

And many Nigerian origin players would rather choose Nigeria at this age grade over England believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:57am On May 18
Joebie:
Na the matter some of us dey talk since for this thread. My nephew is a very talented kid. I make sure to update his Naija jersey regularly. He may play basketball or soccer professionally in future. But will I advise him to dump England. He also has a chance with the US. As much as I want to keep him close to his African roots, patriotism here is clearly split.

I have been to the club gyms training room and dressing rooms of a duplicity of clubs in England predominantly.

And for the clubs that have a lot of black players it's not rovk music 🎢 they are playing but afrobeat and they can dance every dance trend going.

In addition quite a few can speak πŸ—£οΈ Yoruba and Igbo however I shame no Uhrobo/ Isoko πŸ™Š just Warri pidgin.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:00am On May 18
Amedino99:

Statistics are indicators not conclusive components.

Grealish has a unique skill set that drives the team forwards offensively resulting in assists and scoring chances that's not captured with statistics.

Stats are not the complete story
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:02am On May 18
caprikon:
I hope someday the NFF will implement a system where the national teams have a defined playing style from U_15s to the SE. ( Not necessarily tiki taka 😁).

That has to be part of the recipe for long term dominance on the continent and globally.

Most of the policies and decisions of the NFF are geared towards short term results.

It's inevitable it's a short term delivery framework with limited time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Longneck: 10:19am On May 18
komekn:

I don't know, but Sadiq was woeful there and here is Dessers in the same team killing it.

Onuachu played 11 games in the EPL not a single goal . Turkish league is just one or two steps higher than the Scottish premier League.
And the Belgium league Onuachu scored for fun is how many steps higher?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16182) (16183) (16184) (16185) (16186) (16187) (16188) ... (16242) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Posh(m), charlesemeka85(m), sureleads, 123jamessmith, M7even(m), komekn(m), Puntingnoob and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.