Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,827 members, 7,930,841 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 09:53 AM

Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? (10231 Views)

Campus Politics: How To Win An Election In Campus Without Spending Much Money / Campus Politics: Between Serving, Fight For Rights And Self-enrichment / The New OAU Students' Union Bus Bought At N3m. Hit or Miss? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by TamunoRichard(m): 7:15am On May 24, 2016
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 7:16am On May 24, 2016
Was a great hit for me,I participated and it really helped me.Got to know a lot of people and how its being played,won't mind joining politics in future.

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by MckenzieMikel(m): 7:20am On May 24, 2016
This is why Buhari had ear infection. Politics anywhere is always a hit. Even in church. Those who cannot play, think its a dirty game.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by PAnaceA7(m): 7:20am On May 24, 2016
wins18:

Lol, that was some people's fear, why they usain bolt at any mention of school politics

And your fears as well grin grin
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by laprince(m): 7:20am On May 24, 2016
wins18:
I heard that b4 u contest, u must belong, how true is this?

Its very true they will come to you. Especially for positions that are above departmental levels, and, or when one of theirs is also contesting for same position.

For me, if you feel deeply threatened and uncomfortable, simply step down. Mine was not in that dimension though.

If the threat is too much, report to servicom in school. That's very obtainable in my school.

its not always to make you join them. It's mainly buying them drinks and creating a relationship with you. They use this to gain access to you, especially when they know your chance of winning is very high.

Even some comrados in kegites came to me and said I must buy palmwine for them. I did.

It actually made me to know them, but not to join them.

If you know the stress SOME go through being cultist, you won't even think about it.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by wins18(m): 7:29am On May 24, 2016
laprince:
strong hit!!!

I was secretary to my department and later an Hon. Jst. in the S.U.G. Judicial council.

Mind you, I still graduated top 10 Elect Elect.

school politics is very tasking, fulfilling and refreshing.

Its very true they will come to you. Especially for positions that are above departmental levels, and, or when one of theirs is also contesting for same position.

For me, if you feel deeply threatened and uncomfortable, simply step down. Mine was not in that dimension though.

If the threat is too much, report to servicom in school. That's very obtainable in my school.

its not always to make you join them. It's mainly buying them drinks and creating a relationship with you. They use this to gain access to you, especially when they know your chance of winning is very high.

Even some comrados in kegites came to me and said I must buy palmwine for them. I did.

It actually made me to know them, but not to join them.

If you know the stress SOME go through being cultist, you won't even think about it.
Serious? Pls throw more light on that, I thought its all about enjoyment.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by anigbajumo(m): 7:33am On May 24, 2016
MzMaerykay:
Here in LAUTECH,its a Big HIT if you play your cards well...Tho,the worst place you could find yourself in life is the venue of an house sitting....Rowdy,devious and fetish but all the same it has been quite revealing.....#Proud LIBERALIST

Hit my foot,only the SUG president dance to good tunes if he play his card with sense....

If u are politician in Lautech,u gather experience that what u can imagine.

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 7:48am On May 24, 2016
booked i will be back, let me charge my phone

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by laprince(m): 7:50am On May 24, 2016
wins18:

Serious? Pls throw more light on that, I thought its all about enjoyment.

A course mate once missed his FINAL YEAR exams cos of death threats.

don't allow politics, cultism or any of such get along your way in academic pursuit.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by wins18(m): 7:52am On May 24, 2016
laprince:

A course mate once missed his FINAL YEAR exams cos of death threats.

don't allow politics, cultism or any of such get along your way in academic pursuit.
Thanks a great deal

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by ajaxtea(m): 7:55am On May 24, 2016
MzMaerykay:
Here in LAUTECH,its a Big HIT if you play your cards well...Tho,the worst place you could find yourself in life is the venue of an house sitting....Rowdy,devious and fetish but all the same it has been quite revealing.....#Proud LIBERALIST

I sight you Empress LadyGunner....... Its a big hit for me too coz it builds you in leadership and gives you access to some offices in school that are meant for the high and mighty. Though it has its own bad sides but in all its a nice experience.

#I am Hon(Barr.) Ajaxtea.
#Proud Liberalist.
#I rep Liberal Movement LAUTECH.

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Adeyinka1758(m): 8:10am On May 24, 2016
MzMaerykay:
LIBERAL MOVEMENT NA NI OO

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by ceda99: 8:11am On May 24, 2016

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by banme1(m): 8:20am On May 24, 2016
Jarus:
I prefer departmental politics.
councilor politics
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Kenturkey048(m): 8:22am On May 24, 2016
Lordmykel:
Its a big "Miss" i'm not a fan of it. Mostly, successfully elected candidates are members of fratenities, they only got there with the help of a university staff(lecturer etc.) who is also the fratenity member
you are very right,,my own schoool,mostly my departmental election serv as a battle ground for two groups every year.

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Oyinda32(m): 8:36am On May 24, 2016
EduRegard:
Many, I expect, at the sight or sound of the term “campus politics” would either have the cold shivers or would give a sigh, thus declaring their innermost fear of being a part of anything affiliated to the word. Well, my dear readers, if this are, or continue to be our reaction to campus politics, then it will only be apt to begin by enlightening ourselves on its significance and meaning in order for us not to run no more in a campus politics of probability, because we must learn to understand that it is a ‘force’ that will continue to play its role in shaping our future, profession, life etc. whether we will it or otherwise.

Politics is described as the authoritative allocation of values for the society, according to the Canadian Professor of Political Science, David Easton. By this, he meant that politics encompasses the various processes through which government or School authority responds to pressure from larger society, in particular by allocating benefits, rewards or penalties. Also, Haroldz Dwight Lasswell, a scholar defined politics as simply “who get what, when and how”, this
implies that the nature of politics is about the distribution of power in a society.

Thus, if I am aloof about politics- the very activity through which my students Association, school can respond to my needs and pressure, then I cannot complain when the Association does not meet this need or hearken to my pressure. If I detach myself from politics then I am throwing away my powers to decide how benefits, rewards and
penalties which are not far-fetched are allocated.

More interestingly, let us look at the causes of this disinterest in politics with a view to helping ourselves out of their strong grip of hit or miss orientation. The popular term for this indifference and insensitivity to politics on and off campuses is known as “political Apathy”, it is the absence or suppression of passion, emotion in politics or its activities. On our campuses nowadays, this trend has become so imminent amidst the student, in which the ratio of it to the political enthusiasts is relatively low and not encouraging.

Having diagnosed the problem, the next thing to look at is what I called “pathogenesis of campus politics hit or miss?” knowing fully well that we are in an academic environment where our priority is to study or excel in our various fields. Albert Einstein said, “Politics is for the present, but equation is for eternity”, true as this may sound, but do not forget that our present determines more for our future talk more of eternity.

Truly, we may see politics as rough, filthy, not for the gentleman or lady or as a hit or miss basis. But really, it is viewed so because our own apathy has let the bad eggs dominate politics and let them take decision which affects our lives.” Politics is not a game but an earnest business” as Winston Churchill says, and then our business is to be conscious politically and act well in campus politics.

Ellie Wiesel said, “there may be time we are powerless to prevent injustice but there must never be a time we fail to protest.” We must also remember that “whenever a man cast a longing eye on offices, rottenness begins in his conduct”, therefore, the eyes should never be on the office but on the work in the office and the people who own and
gave you the office.

In conclusion, with these said, I encourage you readers, take that decision to be part of the campus politics enthusiast and movement by being conscious. Remember, indecision is a decision in itself. Be conscious and make the conscious choice that politics should never be treated or seen as a hit or miss affair, rather as a necessity and optimal!!!!

What do you think

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com/campus-politics-hit-miss/

Every campus politics was a hit back to back, from Students Representative Council (Students Union) clerk of the House, To students Union Electoral Committee, To Chief Justice of the faculty.... #TeamUnibadan still on still we graduated top of the class...
It depends on the way you participate, your aims and objectives. It's an avenue to develop ones leadership skill and good human relation, however it might cause a deterent your education if you do not know how to manage your time and No when to step backward.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by jerikoyan(m): 8:44am On May 24, 2016
Ife boi -
derespect:
Every political participation on campus was a hit back to back from Hall Executive Council(HEC) to Students' Representative Council (SRC) to Central Executive Council (CEC).
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by blank(f): 8:55am On May 24, 2016
It was a hit for me.

From my first year to my final year. And i still made a very good 2'1.

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by babamoha(m): 9:13am On May 24, 2016
Campus politics is just like perfect place to start your political experience or knowledge .
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by CHYMZZY(m): 9:14am On May 24, 2016
School politics is a big Hit for me, even though it's tasking and attention demanding, i could remeber vividly when my brother was FUTY Sec.Gen (2012) it gave him opportunity and power to explore himself in the world of politics today. School politics should not also be limited with walls of SUG, it's also extends departmental politics, state politics and also cultural politics.
Unlike when contested for SUG Fin.Sec i loss, i went back to departmental politics and was able to win NACOSS Sec.Gen in my year two. Since then politics has shapens my mind in the way i see things, gives me enough exposure of what the real world politics is all about and create opportunity for me to go places and meet big people in the real world politics.
For me politics on camp is a big HIT coz right now am the MAUTECH President of IGBO STUDENTS CULTURAL ASSOCIATION, in brief ISCA and also NORTHERN STATE IGBO WELFARE ASSOCIATION COORDINATOR which has help me in better understanding of my culture and so many things i dont know before abtout my culture.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Fynestboi: 9:20am On May 24, 2016
Suigeneris93:
Big Miss, most of the campus politicians in SUG are only interested in enriching their pockets, they never stand up for the students' welfare except there is something in it for them. At least that was the case in my alma mater

This will be a fallacy, if you conclude base on your Alma mater that it is a miss.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 9:28am On May 24, 2016
Fynestboi:

This will be a fallacy, if you conclude base on your Alma mater that it is a miss.

and what fallacy is it, pray tell undecided My alma mater was my yardstick because I've not been to other schools to know how they run their SUG. Please when you come up with the fallacy, I'm a mention away undecided
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Fynestboi: 9:30am On May 24, 2016
Suigeneris93:

and what fallacy is it, pray tell undecided My alma mater was my yardstick because I've not been to other schools to know how they run their SUG. Please when you come up with the fallacy, I'm a mention away undecided

I see.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by faruz: 9:58am On May 24, 2016
AfricanCity:
If I hit or miss it how does it help the fuel price? embarassed
i tire oooo....
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by mamawin(f): 10:10am On May 24, 2016
we encouraged a friend of ours to contest the vice presidency seat of the faculty, she was asked to see many people, especially those that were in politics before her. we got the shock of our lifes when she told us one of them said she needed juju. were we frightened! she won anyways, got a room in the hostel and 'squat' all of us, which was our goal. Unilorin 1997/98
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Bishops10(m): 12:39pm On May 24, 2016
mysticgal:
Me thinks hit:they politicians make a lotta money even more than councillors of villages sef grin
A councilor fit buy house of 30m in...
Ask Ifeanyi about this.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Bishops10(m): 12:51pm On May 24, 2016
I'm a die hard fan of campus politics but seriously its a very dangerous game...I quote my elder bro "...Seriously campus politics (SUG) is what I don't advice someone I love to go into,its very dangerous.It is more risky compared to State election self..."
He was the SUG president of Federal Polytechnic Nekede..you may know him through my name.

Notwithstanding,UNIBEN must hear my voice when the time comes.

Comr Chijioke Emmanuel
Aluta continua!!

www.nairaland.com/2958579/what-position-contested-school-days
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by toseman(m): 12:53pm On May 24, 2016
I was happy I participated in campus politics, that feeling of being a leader,where you directly respo sible for the welfare of thousands of students ....
You will learn what you couldn't have learnt within the four walls of a classroom...
I was happy I did

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by arcnomec(m): 1:42pm On May 24, 2016
To me school politics was an eye opener,having served as the erstwhile sec.gen of association of students architects,i got to know how the masses feel when their representative feels in the circular society.

I grew from there to been a stakeholder in a group that produced the then SUG president from a minority dept(OTM)
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Sprintson(m): 2:33pm On May 24, 2016
BIG HIT!!!
I was in the Dept Senate,a Dept President ,Senator in the S.U.G.. Was very powerful to drag with a senior Professor against injustice and contend with the V.C yes the V.C on his refusal to present our s.u.g account statement and on his refusal to buy our sug presido a new car....
Dined with he gov ,deputy and even Mr president G.E.J...
I did well in my papers I was the course rep, I wasn't a cultist coz that's big tym rubbish,If u c where dem deh balm cultists u go run..
Campus politics helped me in dealing with people better coz I was the Secretary of my CDS group,Secretary of N.A.C.C EDO state 2014 NYSC....Now Youth President OMEGA FIRE MIN Lagos....
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by mikolo80: 3:11pm On May 24, 2016
Suigeneris93:
Big Miss, most of the campus politicians in SUG are only interested in enriching their pockets, they never stand up for the students' welfare except there is something in it for them. At least that was the case in my alma mater
and guess whose head dem hammer ontop. no be una de pay sug, faculty, hall, department fees. one just buy house for Abuja and you think you are smart while they are stoopid. vice versa my dear
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by mikolo80: 3:15pm On May 24, 2016
Suigeneris93:
and guess whose head dem hammer ontop. no be una de pay sug, faculty, hall, department fees. one just buy house for Abuja and you think you are smart while they are stoopid. vice versa my dear.e pain me say I no participate for faculty politics no be small. that 8 800 naira dem extort from 4000 + students (3.2 mill and yet they couldn't buy sports Jersey of 32 000.you go fear corruption) but if you and I participate we can challenge them to reduce fees or improve services (wireless broadband internet ,borehole so toilets flush or for irrigation or tractors for Agric students etc) instead we jus sit and complain and enrich the sharp ones

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unaab Pre Degree Form / 8 Funny Questions Uniben Freshers Usually Ask. / NDDC Gets FG's Order To Resume Suspended Scholarship Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.