Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,990 members, 7,841,783 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? (30531 Views)

Human Arm And Leg Found In A Crocodile's Belly In Indonesia (Photos) / O.M.G! See What Was Found In The Belly Of A Big Snake Killed In Nigeria (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by back2sender: 9:27am On May 28, 2016
eseosa77:
I ve always wonder each time I spray my house with insecticide,on most occasions I normally discovered that the cockroach would die with their stomach facing up.Have any one notices this or is there any scientific explanation to this.

Below is the pics.
Because they belong to the 5%,children of hate.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by eyekaynoble: 9:28am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
I beieve most of these insecticides are organophosphate nerve poisons. The nerve poison often inhibits
cholinesterase, an enzyme that breaks down acetyl choline (ACh), a neurotransmitter. With extra ACh in the
nervous system, the cockroach has muscular spasms which often result in the cockroach flipping on its back.
Without muscular coordination the cockroach cannot right itself and eventually dies in its upside down-
position... wink
Haba!!! Earth-speak, pls. Nls, it's bcus dey are dead! & 2ndly, their legs are 2 long joor! Why humans no dey stand when dem die?
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by UjSizzle(f): 9:29am On May 28, 2016
You should try observing them after spraying.
They jump around a lot, like A LOT it's actually very comical. Then they end up on their back during the crazy dance and are unable to flip back on their limbs. That's why they die that way.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Oblak(m): 9:29am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
I beieve most of these insecticides are organophosphate nerve poisons. The nerve poison often inhibits
cholinesterase, an enzyme that breaks down acetyl choline (ACh), a neurotransmitter. With extra ACh in the
nervous system, the cockroach has muscular spasms which often result in the cockroach flipping on its back.
Without muscular coordination the cockroach cannot right itself and eventually dies in its upside down-
position... wink
well done. Direct from Google. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by JOAN11(f): 9:30am On May 28, 2016
YUCK......i hate those insects,got phobia for roaches

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 9:30am On May 28, 2016
LastMumu:

Below nairalanders is a clear example of what religion does to the brain and what science does. The first person I quoted is obviously mentally lazy, he does not know neither does he care to know. As far as he is concerned, only God knows. The second person I quoted is the opposite of the first person I quoted. cheesy

last mumu indeed.. cheesy
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by SAMBATLAN(m): 9:32am On May 28, 2016
xavier0327:

In ENGLISH please!
I am highly devastated on the mode of highfalutin as used by this guy, only portray the uncommon habits towards the mysterious demise by the domestic cockroaches... at least to his own demonstration.. well, I met some of these cockroaches this morning, in my sitting room, stranded helplessly in acrobatic demonstrations after I have applied some lethal substances to scare them far away from home...
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by HomeOfMe(f): 9:33am On May 28, 2016
Silkmoth33:
They are not dead! They are just wetin for the effects to wear off! If you wait long enough, for let's say 3 centuries you will be amazed at how dey will move again! They are just chilling on their backs cos it's much comfy that way.

Guy you've got it all wrong! These invertebrates don't have the complex central nervous system as higher animals! Their is no neurotransmitter or nervous system potentiating the propagation of action potentials in this organism.
Furthermore! AntiAcetylcholinesterases don't selectively pick out certain neural synapses to block! It's always all or nothing. A block will result in any of the following: fasciculations, floppyiness and paralysis not spasms or tremors.
s'efe da ori ota mi ru ni.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by KELECHUKWU89: 9:36am On May 28, 2016
DickDastardly:
Cause they 've kicked the bucket undecided
gbam
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Knsley(m): 9:36am On May 28, 2016
Great Pharm. I hail your Pharmacological explaination. Organophoshate poison.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by zicoflex(m): 9:36am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

Why humans no dey stand when dem die?
hooon omo yen mowe gooni he is a chemistrian
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by qoura123(m): 9:37am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

hmmmm
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by qoura123(m): 9:40am On May 28, 2016
Silkmoth33:
They are not dead! They are just wetin for the effects to wear off! If you wait long enough, for let's say 3 centuries you will be amazed at how dey will move again! They are just chilling on their backs cos it's much comfy that way.

Guy you've got it all wrong! These invertebrates don't have the complex central nervous system as higher animals! Their is no neurotransmitter or nervous system potentiating the propagation of action potentials in this organism.
Furthermore! AntiAcetylcholinesterases don't selectively pick out certain neural synapses to block! It's always all or nothing. A block will result in any of the following: fasciculations, floppyiness and paralysis not spasms or tremors.
let the argument begin!!! bring out my B 10 LOGY. BOOK
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by HyDef(m): 9:40am On May 28, 2016
Silkmoth33:

Block of inhibitory neurotransmitter receptors would cause spasms or tremors.

I don't know if you were serious when you said they have no nervous system or neurotransmitters. They do..

And for the answer to the op, a Google search came up with:

"Cockroaches, apparently, have bulky bodies (composing of 3 heavy body segments) which are only supported by 6 long thin legs, As they die, they lose muscle-control causing the leg muscles to contract. As a result, the legs are forced to be pulled beneath the body causing them to lose their balance, and topple over. This also explains why cockroaches on the wall fall off when they were crawling on the wall and got sprayed with insecticides.

Is flipping over always the case?

No. There is still a possibility for a cockroach to die without toppling over. However, it is inherent upon these insects to involuntary experience muscle contraction and end up lying on their back upon dying."

1 Like

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by theEYe21(f): 9:44am On May 28, 2016
Go and study science you will understand!
xavier0327:

In ENGLISH please!
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by niggi4life(m): 9:47am On May 28, 2016
Cockroaches hardly die, even when u think they are dead, dem do die o!

FYI; cockroaches were the only living thing to survive the Hiroshima nuclear bomb
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by niggi4life(m): 9:49am On May 28, 2016
JOAN11:
YUCK......i hate those insects,got phobia for roaches
I don't think you hate roaches as much as I do....merely spelling the name alone gives me goose bumps and shiver down my spine
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by eyekaynoble: 9:52am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

PLAGIARISM!!! Those last remarks though... U stole my thoughts & writings. Nevermind, i'll not press charges. Olodo rabata! Copy n paste. We know ur types
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by miqos02(m): 9:53am On May 28, 2016
I don't know
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by ikorodureporta: 9:55am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

...forget all dis grammar. Na so dem dey die. Some ppl even say if their back touch ground, dem go die. They tend to develop paralysis & flip b4 they die...

Meanwhile......a thread for Cockroalogists grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by egokudiowomoney: 9:56am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

many of us here are not entomologists
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 9:57am On May 28, 2016
ikorodureporta:

...forget all dis grammar. Na so dem dey die. Some ppl even say if their back touch ground, dem go die. They tend to develop paralysis & flip b4 they die...
cheesy
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 9:58am On May 28, 2016
HyDef:

I don't know if you were serious when you said they have no nervous system or neurotransmitters. They do..

"Cockroaches, apparently, have bulky bodies (composing of 3 heavy body segments) which are only supported by 6 long thin legs, As they die, they lose muscle-control causing the leg muscles to contract. As a result, the legs are forced to be pulled beneath the body causing them to lose their balance, and topple over. This also explains why cockroaches on the wall fall off when they were crawling on the wall and got sprayed with insecticides.

No. There is still a possibility for a cockroach to die without toppling over. However, it is inherent upon these insects to involuntary experience muscle contraction and end up lying on their back upon dying."

1 Like

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by excellentmomma(f): 9:59am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
In summary, insecticides are poisons and it target a cockroaches nervous system. When you spray an insecticide, those neurotoxins cause tremors and muscle spasms, which flip it onto its back, and without muscle coordination, that’s the position it dies . Hope it helps

I ma akwukwo cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 10:00am On May 28, 2016
excellentmomma:

I ma akwukwo cheesy
lol...
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by Nobody: 10:01am On May 28, 2016
DickDastardly:
Cause they 've kicked the bucket undecided
but there was no bucket in the house. lol
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by martineverest(m): 10:03am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
position... wink

same way atomic bomb can't kill a mosquito/cockroaches
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by saintRighteous49(m): 10:04am On May 28, 2016
We need to ask APC and buhari cus they know the real reason
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by eyekaynoble: 10:08am On May 28, 2016
HyDef:

All dis gramma sef
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by omojeesu(m): 10:08am On May 28, 2016
grayht:
In summary, insecticides are poisons and it target a cockroaches nervous system. When you spray an insecticide, those neurotoxins cause tremors and muscle spasms, which flip it onto its back, and without muscle coordination, that’s the position it dies . Hope it helps

Thanks o jare. A little biology and chemistry should have helped. When we say they should do science then, they ran away!!!! Ha ha ha!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die With Their Belly Facing Up? by donsheddy1(m): 10:09am On May 28, 2016
eseosa77:
I ve always wonder each time I spray my house with insecticide,on most occasions I normally discovered that the cockroach would die with their stomach facing up.Have any one notices this or is there any scientific explanation to this.

Below is the pics.
Like asking what brings the pictures in youur sleep they call dream

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Have You Been Bitten By A Cockroach Before?11 / Human-like Behaviors In Animals / Emeka Nelson Invents Generator That Runs On Water (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.