Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,115 members, 7,852,780 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 05:29 AM

A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project (13360 Views)

How To Calculate Number Of Blocks For Your Building Project In 2 Simple Steps. / Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers / A Nairalander's Building Project -from Foundation To Plastering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 10:19pm On Aug 14, 2016
With my first building project done - well, almost done, with very minor finishing touches left, I have started looking forward to getting another started. I have not only come to realize that I derive a great deal of joy and fulfillment in getting involved in my own building, I have also come to realize that it is perhaps the best pension I can offer myself.

While my first project is a storey building with two three bedroom flats adjoining building (I don't know the name they call this kind of structure -duplex?!), my look-ahead is now to have a 6 bedroom tastefully finished block of flats.

In my head, I am thinking a building covering a total of 245 sq. mtrs, 6 flats - 2 per floor, 3 bedrooms - all ensuite, and a guest toilet to go with it. All is still in my head, all is still ideas. But that's the starting point, right?

I have started conceptualizing a three years plan to get the house erected and fully functional at the best rate without compromising on quality.

First thing first, I need to raise funds for land smiley.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 11:47am On Jan 19, 2017
As I get closer to the commencement of the project, I felt the need to start coming up with ideas of my own.

I want to have a general idea of what I want in drawing before my meeting with my architect. That way, there would be no challenge in expression.

Below is a sketch of what I want, with the rough plan of the ground floor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 11:53am On Jan 19, 2017
In the plan, I have placed the guest toilet by the front entrance outside from the living room. The concept was copied from a friend’s rented apartment and I like it.

I am aware there might be some design requirements that I am not aware of yet, but I am definitely open to my architects (or any other experienced person’s) suggestion.
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by Heymus(m): 2:29am On Jan 20, 2017
edshaf:
In the plan, I have placed the guest toilet by the front entrance outside from the living room. The concept was copied from a friend’s rented apartment and I like it.

I am aware there might be some design requirements that I am not aware of yet, but I am definitely open to my architects (or any other experienced person’s) suggestion.
it is called visitor's toilet (vt.) We have guest room with its toilet seperately.
Try and indicate your cantiliver lines on the ground floor plan.

in all its a wonderful job.

2 Likes

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 7:51am On Jan 20, 2017
Heymus:
it is called visitor's toilet (vt.) We have guest room with its toilet seperately.
Try and indicate your cantiliver lines on the ground floor plan.

in all its a wonderful job.

Thanks Heymus,

Visitor's toilet, got it.
As I must have indicated, I am not an architect, so the plan you see is just my own draft (made by me). I will consider posting the real one once I have it.

1 Like

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 4:34pm On Mar 11, 2017
The land didn't come cheap but thank God that's done. The land acquired is a corner piece with an existing bachelor quarters, a hand-dug well and an existing foundation without German floor. The plan would however require levelling all existing structures - that would be the first thing first.
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by iiiyyyk(m): 6:41pm On Mar 11, 2017
Please builders,architects and experience people....can a single plot of land contain a 2 bedroom bungalow and another storey building of four units of 2 bedroom flats.
thats is... the ground will have three 2bedroom flats. The land is approximately 50ft by 100ft, (15m by 30m) ....
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 6:55pm On Mar 13, 2017
iiiyyyk:
Please builders,architects and experience people....can a single plot of land contain a 2 bedroom bungalow and another storey building of four units of 2 bedroom flats.
thats is... the ground will have three 2bedroom flats. The land is approximately 50ft by 100ft, (15m by 30m) ....

I am no expert but it might be a too tight trying to slot a bq and a main with two flat into such space although I know of some places in Lagos where this has been done (but on 60 by 120ft).
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 3:11pm On Mar 20, 2017
The picture of the project site

While awaiting all documentation and approval, I will use the spare time to mold some blocks

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 3:56pm On Mar 20, 2017

1 Share

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 6:15pm On Mar 25, 2017
Block molding on going on site...

2 Likes

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by snakebeat: 7:53pm On Mar 25, 2017
edshaf:
those blocks look durable..
how many per bag?
which cement did u use?
what are d sizes?
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by twinskenny(m): 8:12pm On Mar 25, 2017
edshaf:

Good luck sir remember us when u get to the electrical part
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 10:14am On Mar 26, 2017
snakebeat:

those blocks look durable..
how many per bag?
which cement did u use?
what are d sizes?

-We targeted between 28 and 32 blocks per bag sir.
-Dangote 3x
-9 inches for now

Thank you sir
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by snakebeat: 11:31am On Mar 26, 2017
edshaf:

-We targeted between 28 and 32 blocks per bag sir.
-Dangote 3x
-9 inches for now

Thank you sir
thanks...
hope this dangote 3x is same with that of grade 4.25?
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 11:49am On Mar 26, 2017
snakebeat:

thanks...
hope this dangote 3x is same with that of grade 4.25?

Yes 42.5
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by snakebeat: 3:10pm On Mar 26, 2017
edshaf:

Yes 42.5
thanks...
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 10:28pm On Mar 27, 2017
So far, with 1 trip of sharp (20 tonnes) sand + 1/2 trip (10 tonnes) of plaster sand and 50 bags of cement, we were able to produce 1600 9" blocks.

20 tonnes of sharp sand delivered to site: #65,000
10 tonnes of plaster sand: #30,000
50 bags of Cement @ #2600 per bag: #130,000
Molding Labor @ #900 per block: #45,000
Total Cost: #270,000

Effectively, each block cost #270,000 / 1600 = #168.75 to produce.

2 Likes

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 11:54am On Mar 28, 2017
Block molding operation in progress...

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by saheedbadmus(m): 12:23pm On Mar 28, 2017
Aiit op keep us posted sir..may God continue to provide... building a house aint easy..also op when it time to get paints don't forget to reach out to us @ Crest Coatings ltd..

1 Like

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by jiday4(m): 9:59am On Mar 30, 2017
God that started the project will see to its completion. Pls sir how many 9" per bag of cement where u able to make and its is compulsory I add plaster sand to the sharp sand . thank you
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 3:27pm On Mar 30, 2017
jiday4:
God that started the project will see to its completion. Pls sir how many 9" per bag of cement where u able to make and its is compulsory I add plaster sand to the sharp sand . thank you

Amen.
Between 30 and 33 9" blocks per bag.
I was advised to introduce plaster sand but I don't know exact reason. Maybe there is an added strength based on the fact that the finer plaster sand fills up the spaces left caused by the coarser sharp sand... I don't know. I will ask and get back.

Regards,
Dapo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 8:56pm On Mar 30, 2017
Final plan and one of the 3D perspective...

2 Likes

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by jiday4(m): 7:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
edshaf:

Amen.
Between 30 and 33 9" blocks per bag.
I was advised to introduce plaster sand but I don't know exact reason. Maybe there is an added strength based on the fact that the finer plaster sand fills up the spaces left caused by the coarser sharp sand... I don't know. I will ask and get back.

Regards,
Dapo
Thank you sir for the info
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 2:21pm On Apr 08, 2017
Block molding completed (for now) with a total of 4000 6" blocks and 6600 9" done.

Currently preparing the bungalow for demolition by removing the roof and roof structure.

With CofO process on the way for the land, I was advised not to start any form of construction work pending government site visitation. Infact I now intend on waiting to get all necessary approvals before commencing work. The wait should grant me the opportunity to raise money for quick progression.

1 Like

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by edshaf: 6:40am On Apr 16, 2017
Demolition in progress...

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by mykeljosef: 7:14am On Apr 16, 2017
I just want to comment
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 16, 2017
God sustain your life and provide for you in order to complete this wonderful project you've embarked on...it's not an easy feat.

7 Likes

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by BrainCONCEPTZ(m): 7:27am On Apr 16, 2017
Nice update and good project on the way. Success I pray.

You can check my signature sir.
Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by sakalisis(m): 7:27am On Apr 16, 2017
Congrat

1 Like

Re: A Diary Of My 2nd Building Project by tahir01(m): 7:28am On Apr 16, 2017
nice. Mention me when you continue.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fully Equipped 4 Bedrooms fully detached Duplex for sale At AGUNGI #Hurry now / DON'T MISS THE AMEN ESTATE PHASE 2 NOW! PAY AND PARK IN! / Quality Twyford Sanitary Wares At Affordable Prices.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.